Philip Rivers to the Bears next Year????

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Pretty much obvious.

Chicago wouldn’t be bad cause they have 1 way flights to pretty much anywhere in the us.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I'm thinkin' he just retires rather than go to a division where it's cold as a well-digger's ass, and also where none of the teams are worth crap once playoffs roll around. What makes SOME sense is the Raiders dump Carr and sign Rivers to a one year deal just to get Las Vegas more competitive in the division. Gruden has always liked Rivers. Problem I see is Rivers looks done.....his unorthodox throwing motion is finally doing him in due to age I think and he's not able to deal with pressure...if he takes a couple of big sacks early he gets the nervous happy feet syndrome and multiple turnovers occur. Look at the stats of TD/INT and fumbles this year.....absolutely horrendous. Not sure any team is gonna think they can revive it. Maybe with a rock solid O line that's at the very top of the NFL rankings and a really tough run game , PR could still do it. Any team that signs the guy is gonna have to have that. He should only continue if he has that and any team thinking about giving him a one year deal should have that. PLUS it only makes sense for PR to play for a team that's one QB away from a Lombardi. That's why I say he hangs it up.

Of course he could pull a Philip and still hang around to tutor his drafted replacement and take a huge salary cut. Not sure he is gonna stoop that low. He shoulda realized how bad spanos is and just demanded out 3 years ago and gone to a winning organization.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I'm thinkin' he just retires rather than go to a division where it's cold as a well-digger's ass, and also where none of the teams are worth crap once playoffs roll around. What makes SOME sense is the Raiders dump Carr and sign Rivers to a one year deal just to get Las Vegas more competitive in the division. Gruden has always liked Rivers. Problem I see is Rivers looks done.....his unorthodox throwing motion is finally doing him in due to age I think and he's not able to deal with pressure...if he takes a couple of big sacks early he gets the nervous happy feet syndrome and multiple turnovers occur. Look at the stats of TD/INT and fumbles this year.....absolutely horrendous. Not sure any team is gonna think they can revive it. Maybe with a rock solid O line that's at the very top of the NFL rankings and a really tough run game , PR could still do it. Any team that signs the guy is gonna have to have that. He should only continue if he has that and any team thinking about giving him a one year deal should have that. PLUS it only makes sense for PR to play for a team that's one QB away from a Lombardi. That's why I say he hangs it up.

Of course he could pull a Philip and still hang around to tutor his drafted replacement and take a huge salary cut. Not sure he is gonna stoop that low. He shoulda realized how bad spanos is and just demanded out 3 years ago and gone to a winning organization.
I agree. If he was gung ho about his career he would’ve made the move to LA but he opted to commute from SD instead. He’s not gonna pull his kids from school so he’s not moving, it’s clear his family is his priority so he’ll either stupidly re-sign with the Chuggers or retire. Spenis will gladly re-sign him because they need some kind of name recognition as they move into Cavernous Gluttony Stadium next year.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Rivers loves football. He continues playing if offered a position. Could play more seasons as a starter/backup to a young QB.
(Watson, Allen of Carolina, Colts).

Your Chuggers? Talk Newton, sign Dalton or draft the ninth best QB in the draft.
And claim they loved Philip like they loved Gates like they loved LT like they loved Vincent Jackson.

• Haha

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
I agree. If he was gung ho about his career he would’ve made the move to LA but he opted to commute from SD instead. He’s not gonna pull his kids from school so he’s not moving, it’s clear his family is his priority so he’ll either stupidly re-sign with the Chuggers for a shiity contract or retire. Spenis will gladly re-sign him because they need some kind of name recognition as they move into Cavernous Gluttony Stadium next year.
fixed it for you

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Rivers loves football. He continues playing if offered a position. Could play more seasons as a starter/backup to a young QB.
(Watson, Allen of Carolina, Colts).

Your Chuggers? Talk Newton, sign Dalton or draft the ninth best QB in the draft.
And claim they loved Philip like they loved Gates like they loved LT like they loved Vincent Jackson.
like they love LA

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
“We thank LA for their support and join us and all the Bolts in London!”
"We will always feel indebted to our great fans in SD and LA and thank them for their years of loyalty, but now must turn the page to our next chapter and are looking forward to fighting for London. Plus all the spanoses have always been big fans of fish and chips, so it's a natural progression for us. Cheerio"

Reactions: Harryo the K

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
A bear would definitely win in a battle with a charger, which, if the old Chargers logo was accurate, is a horse. So this sounds like an upgrade.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Hey, Raiders, you know that young 101.0 passer rating QB you've got?

Bet you'd dump him for an old guy at 85.5 and dropping like an anvil!

You know, for your coming out party!
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
yeah funny, but don't count out Mark Davis for stupidity. lolz. My point was for Philip it makes more sense than the Bears ....he isn't gonna play for a team that has zero chance of going to the playoffs let alone the SB. And you are right the Raiders would be stupid to do so. But for Philip it DOES make more sense, it's just he's lost all his leverage and value this year thus far. It's why I say he retires.......why spend another year getting bashed around like this year? He's done. And he and his agent were stupid for not demanding a trade 3 years ago when spanos abandoned the city Philip wanted to finish his career in. He had plenty of leverage and could have gone somewhere and possibly even won a ring , who knows? Dude was way too loyal to spanos and that organization. He made it even worse by saying before this season he was in no hurry to get things done this year. lolz. Bet he's thinkin otherwise now.;)

edit: given all the above it WOULD be a great thing for haters to see Rivers beat the crap out of the spanoses after they trade him or release him, no matter what team but the Raiders would have to be the most humiliating for spanos. its kind of like releasing Lambo and keeping Koo and Lambo and the Jags beating the chuggers in the same season with a FG lolz.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Fanside site 5 months ago.

He showed last season that he can put together the kind of season to win the award and shows no signs of slowing down. Not only is Rivers good enough on his own to win the award but the Chargers are good enough as a whole put him in a great position.

The MVP award often goes to someone on the best team in the league and the Chargers have one of the most complete rosters on the team. It is not crazy to think that the Chargers can win 13 or more games this season.
If that is the case, and Rivers puts together another season similar to 2018, then he should instantly be a front-runner for the MVP award.

And now he's a bust and being shipped out of town.

Newest LA slogan...“Spanos worst owner with the fewest fans. Be one of the few.”

• Haha
Reactions: Lance19

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I get ya...but if that's our standard...well, PR would also be far better off in Baltimore...
(but I also can't fathom the Ravens being able to stop laughing at such proposal...)
Yes indeed, John Spanos should call up Ozzie Newsome or whoever the GM now is and see if they'll do a staight up trade of Phil for Lamar. John Boy would try to convince them Lamar is still just a WR so fair deal.

The interesting hypothetical that will go unanswered is what would have happened had Phil gone to NO and Brees stayed in SD? I used to cover for Phil, but I now think he's just not clutch in the pressure games and that would have been the case even in NO. But there can be no question spanos at the very least caused Phil to flounder during the playoffs by not putting together a championship calibre team......EVER.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrbanwal

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Yes indeed, John Spanos should call up Ozzie Newsome or whoever the GM now is and see if they'll do a staight up trade of Phil for Lamar. John Boy would try to convince them Lamar is still just a WR so fair deal.

The interesting hypothetical that will go unanswered is what would have happened had Phil gone to NO and Brees stayed in SD? I used to cover for Phil, but I think he's not clutch in the pressure games and that would have been the case even in NO. But there can be no question spanos at the very least caused Phil to flounder during the playoffs by not putting together a championship calibre team......EVER.
That question has an easy answer. Brees had more shitty seasons than decent ones with the Spanoses. Rivers, until this season, never had a bad one. And Rivers played behind even worse lines than Brees did.
I like Brees better because he never played for the L.A. Spanoses and I think we would have won the Super Bowl with a veteran Brees as opposed to a virtual-rookie Rivers, but, as far as their actual career play, Rivers was a better player.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
That question has an easy answer. Brees had more shitty seasons than decent ones with the Spanoses. Rivers, until this season, never had a bad one. And Rivers played behind even worse lines than Brees did.
I like Brees better because he never played for the L.A. Spanoses and I think we would have won the Super Bowl with a veteran Brees as opposed to a virtual-rookie Rivers, but, as far as their actual career play, Rivers was a better player.
That is one take. What if you ask which guy would you rather go with, given the same exact offensive personnel, 90 yards to go with 2 min left and the season on the line or the playoffs or SB on the line? I like Brees better in that situation.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
That is one take. What if you ask which guy would you rather go with, given the same exact offensive personnel, 90 yards to go with 2 min left and the season on the line or the playoffs or SB on the line? I like Brees better in that situation.
Rivers, but we would have lost either way. The coach would have turtled up for a field goal, and Kaeding would have missed the kick in both situations. I know that's what would have happened because that is what actually happened.

Now, if the team sucked at blocking, Brees would have been so awful, he would have been benched for some washed-up box of flakes who never was that great to begin with. And, Rivers, in that same exact scenario, would be a Pro Bowler. I know that's what would happen because that is what did happen.

What is my point? Quarterback is an overrated position. It is a game of blocking and tackling, neither of which is done or coached by the QB (well, maybe Manning did that.) Dan Marino, the best I have ever seen, never won shit, and Elway, the 2nd best I ever saw, couldn't win until he was a complete gimp. Meanwhile, Tom Brady, who hasn't a single highlight showing him doing anything relatively special, has been on like a zillion championship teams. And Eli has been on more championship teams than Brees, Rivers, Marino, and Fouts combined. Why? Because he played for teams that blocked and tackled better than everybody else.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Overall, I think the 2 have been quite comparable over the years...and Brees has only
a minor edge in passer rating (97.9 to 95).
Yeah, the Lombardi inches it up a bit more, but I don't go nuts on that: Hell, Eli has two!
I'd also say that having Sean Payton was a bit of an edge, for DB...

But the scenario you mention is also the decider, for me.
Rivers will rarely get you that tying or go-ahead score on that final, do-or-die drive.
Worse, rather than flexing his experience, he seems to be getting even worse in that area.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Overall, I think the 2 have been quite comparable over the years...and Brees has only
a minor edge in passer rating (97.9 to 95).
Yeah, the Lombardi inches it up a bit more, but I don't go nuts on that: Hell, Eli has two!
I'd also say that having Sean Payton was a bit of an edge, for DB...

But the scenario you mention is also the decider, for me.
Rivers will rarely get you that tying or go-ahead score on that final, do-or-die drive.
Worse, rather than flexing his experience, he seems to be getting even worse in that area.
Agree, and the problem is PR doesn't have the same # of do-or-die playoff games or SB appearances as DB so the lack of # of attempts in those situations we are talking about is lacking....but in the regular season I think it still applies in critical games for intradivisional rivalries and seeding for the playoffs. PR would do stuff like the infamous fumble at Arrowhead that lost that game. Hell of a QB with great #'s but not enough of the crucial drive crunch time success. No doubt as Q says some of that is on spanos and not giving the guy the championship team and lines especially. But PR just seems more excitable and prone to the mistake in pressure situations to me.

And we haven't even talked about Flutie Flakes yet lolz.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Agree, and the problem is PR doesn't have the same # of do-or-die playoff games or SB appearances as DB so the lack of # of attempts in those situations we are talking about is lacking....but in the regular season I think it still applies in critical games for intradivisional rivalries and seeding for the playoffs. PR would do stuff like the infamous fumble at Arrowhead that lost that game. Hell of a QB with great #'s but not enough of the crucial drive crunch time success. No doubt as Q says some of that is on spanos and not giving the guy the championship team and lines especially. But PR just seems more excitable and prone to the mistake in pressure situations to me.

And we haven't even talked about Flutie Flakes yet lolz.
Q says all of that is on Spanos. The one thing Brees did better than Rivers was to go play for a different owner.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Rivers was the best player on the Chargers for years. Maybe in the LT years, you could say different.
Rivers and Gates carried the Chargers for seasons, and other teams knew if you could somehow stop Rivers, the Chargers would fall. So now, maybe, maybe not, Rivers is physically having a bad year and is being removed from the Spanni Boys Night Out. I hope he goes somewhere better. Tampa would pay a mint.
Teams with young, shaky QBs, Goff, Wetz, would welcome Rivers. Hell, Belichick would bring him in. I can see Rivera and the Panthers dropping Newton, signing Rivers.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Q says all of that is on Spanos. The one thing Brees did better than Rivers was to go play for a different owner.
Rivers was the best player on the Chargers for years. Maybe in the LT years, you could say different.
Rivers and Gates carried the Chargers for seasons, and other teams knew if you could somehow stop Rivers, the Chargers would fall. So now, maybe, maybe not, Rivers is physically having a bad year and is being removed from the Spanni Boys Night Out. I hope he goes somewhere better. Tampa would pay a mint.
Teams with young, shaky QBs, Goff, Wetz, would welcome Rivers. Hell, Belichick would bring him in. I can see Rivera and the Panthers dropping Newton, signing Rivers.
There can be no doubt spanos is a career killer.