1. Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities for the sports fans. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Philip Rivers has no desire to play into his 40s

Discussion in 'American Football' started by Fender57, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +726
    • Like Like x 1
  2. captaind

captaind Resist the Dark Side — Join the Alliance

Ratings:
    +248
    Eternal suckdom will soon be within reach

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SDRay

SDRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,317
    He's set for life financially and has 8 kids to tend to so I'm glad he's willing to put family first.

4. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Chargers will be “rebuilding” before Rivers has to worry about 40. Plus, new contract? With the Spanni?
    You'll be lucky if they extend you with lots of non guaranteed money. Any...even close to...concussion, retire right then.

5. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +726
    Once Rivers is gone I think we’ll see a long line of Tolliver-Malone-Laughenberg-Whelihan-Moreno types sprinkled in with washed up Everett-Kramer type vets calling signals for a good long while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +609
    "Before Rivers has to worry about 40" is vague. The Chargers are not likely to be what one usually means as a rebuilding type team any time before the conclusion of the 2020 season. Of course, Rivers will only be 39 by then. The Chargers are more likely to win the division in all 3 seasons than they are to be rebuilding.

The Raiders and Broncos appear to have a long way to go and KC was nice enough to downgrade from Smith to Mahomes, plus give away their best pass defender for next to nothing. The window is wide open for the Chargers.

If Rivers is playing well, the team will certainly extend him.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Extend him now!! Don't let him get away. that dude is money

8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +609
    He is money. Hall of Fame caliber players like Rivers are not an easy find.

9. captaind

Ratings:
    +248
    Those were the days.

I foresee the same as you. The 2004 class was a rare event. I don’t think we could have gone wrong with any of the three. Won’t be so lucky next time.

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +609
    Rivers and Roethlisberger have been top QBs, but Eli Manning has not been nearly as good.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    rivers made a hella lot of damn money off the spanni and the nfl

good on him. I hope he lives long enough to enjoy it

get out while you have your wits

12. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +726
    But according to the article he doesn’t want to be extended.

13. TTK

TTK EX-Charger Fan

Ratings:
    +808
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    I didn't see that game, but neither of those pictures show nothing Mr. Ferley couldn't do.

15. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +726
    Except that he didn’t.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SDRay

SDRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,317
    What you talking about Raiders have a long way to go? As I see it now, this division is up for grabs. Raiders offense is as good or better than Carson or the Chiefs. Defense will be improved especially if Mack is there.

17. captaind

Ratings:
    +248
    Raiders have a long way to go.

Personally, I think Carr is average at best. Gruden will eventually want his own guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Concudan

Concudan Still Chargin Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,846
    I respect the heck out of you Ray... But you are drinking the sivler and black kool-aid too much... LOL.

19. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Exacto. People want to make believe that Rivers is as good as Eli or that his team was better....whether or not is valid or not, the truth is as Al would say, “Scoreboard, baby!” and in the reason for playing, Eli is 2-12....Rivers is 0-14.

Whether you like a player or not, winners are winners. Also Rans....lots to choose from.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,246
    ah how quickly the bolt faithful forget about past innumerable seasons of lofty expectations and predictions of greatness by the pundits only to have been let down and frustrated by underperformance and embarrasing inability to meet up to not only the pundit's expectations but their own. The bravado and complete disregard for the opponents in the division, let alone the rest of the conference, is amusing. No season is safe for a spanos run organization, NONE. Jes sayin', don't count your chickens fellas.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,846
    Ahhh how the rhetoric flows. It is sad how you guys feel making posts about past futility mean anything about the future. Love how the born again haters fail to realize the Eagles did not win it all till they did. The Patriots did not win it all until they became a dynasty. The history of the NFL is littered with such tales. Hell @RaiderRay's new team has three dusty trophies... But what have they done lately? You look into your coffee cups, rippling from your tears for your lost team, for which you now only have piss an vinegar and think it is a crystal ball into which you see the future... But what you only see is your HOPE that they fail... Try and sell it as prognostication, or measuring the future by the stars... It is just your wild arse guess and hopes of failure. Sad that your life has come to this, but to each their own.

So in telling us to not count chickens, perhaps you should follow your own advice... because your hopes and dreams mean nothing until the games are played.

Thank you for your fortune cookie wisdom... truly...

22. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Talk about rambling.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,846
    That is the clearest post you have made! Well done sir! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +2,014
  25. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,246
    :laugh:

26. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    I wouldn't know. I didn't watch. I only know Mr. Ferley didn't dis my city, and Eli did. The few times I saw Eli play, he looked like an average starter in the NFL.

27. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,070
    You made it too easy. Probably a trap game.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +2,014
  29. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +609
    The article indicates that at this time Rivers does not wish to play into his mid 40s. He is only under contract through the 2019 season and he will only be turning 38 in December of that season. He has already stated that he wants to play in the new stadium, which means that he wants to play at least through the year 2020. That means, contrary to your suggestion, that he wants to be extended for at least one year that we already know about.

Yes, Rivers may not wish to play until his mid 40s (44-46), but he would not be turning 44 until December of 2025 and nobody has suggested that he will be playing that long.

All I have ever suggested is that it is likely that Rivers will play through at least the 2020 season. Even then, Rivers will not be turning 39 until December of that season. It would not shock me to see him play one more season after that, calling it quits after having just turned 40 at the end of that final season. But any longer than that, I think it would be much less likely that he would continue to play.

30. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    I stopped playing in my early 30s, Women all over the world are grateful.