Padres waive EY, activate Johnson

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

rexy2006

Dec 17, 2005
San Diego
Padres waive OF Young, activate OF JohnsonAugust 2, 2006
SAN DIEGO (Ticker) - Among several moves Tuesday, the San Diego Padres parted ways with infielder-outfielder Eric Young.
The Padres released the 39-year-old veteran, who batted .203 with three home runs and 13 RBI in 56 contests this season. San Diego also activated outfielder Ben Johnson from the disabled list, added newly acquired infielder Todd Walker to the roster and optioned outfielder Terrmel Sledge to Class AAA Portland.

Young has swiped 456 bases in his 15-year career - third most among active players - while batting .283 in 1,726 games for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Colorado Rockies, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers, San Francisco Giants, Texas Rangers and Padres. Johnson had been on the DL since July 5 after suffering a left shoulder strain in an outfield collision on July 1. The 25-year-old entered Tuesday's game with the Houston Astros batting .240 with two homers and eight RBI in 32 games for the Padres. He went 0-for-3 against the Astros.

Acquired from the Chicago Cubs on Monday for minor league pitcher Jose Ceda, Walker hit .277 with six home runs and 40 RBI in 94 contests. He went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in Tuesday's 1-0 loss to Houston.
In 17 games with the Padres, Sledge hit .222 with a homer and three RBI.

EY was a VERY popular teammate. I heard from someone that Trevor was PIZZED about this, although I am sure he is not the only one.He is the most vocal.
I feel for EY as they way they released him and gave Walker his number was kinda rude. I wont miss Sludge at all. I hope Ben can help them real soon...

Last nights game they looked flat. I hope they can snap outta it.

Drunk

Jun 19, 2006
Step it up padres. We need a win for ****sakes....

Hey Rexy, what does Breezy mean? :icon_mrgreen:

SDRaiderH8er

Apr 27, 2006
Hey Rexy, I finally am able to make my first Game, I have tix for Saturday night vs Washington with the fireworks after the game.

Reactions: BFISA

rexy2006

Dec 17, 2005
San Diego
SDRaiderH8er said:
Hey Rexy, I finally am able to make my first Game, I have tix for Saturday night vs Washington with the fireworks after the game.
YAH! I'm goin too. Maybe we can say howdy somewheres or tother...:icon_mrgreen:

rexy2006

Dec 17, 2005
San Diego
Drunk said:
Step it up padres. We need a win for ****sakes....

Hey Rexy, what does Breezy mean? :icon_mrgreen:
Approximately the same thing as "Cloud Nine".

The weSt Side of happy.:icon_banana:

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
rexy2006 said:
Padres waive OF Young, activate OF JohnsonAugust 2, 2006
SAN DIEGO (Ticker) - Among several moves Tuesday, the San Diego Padres parted ways with infielder-outfielder Eric Young.
The Padres released the 39-year-old veteran, who batted .203 with three home runs and 13 RBI in 56 contests this season. San Diego also activated outfielder Ben Johnson from the disabled list, added newly acquired infielder Todd Walker to the roster and optioned outfielder Terrmel Sledge to Class AAA Portland.

Young has swiped 456 bases in his 15-year career - third most among active players - while batting .283 in 1,726 games for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Colorado Rockies, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers, San Francisco Giants, Texas Rangers and Padres. Johnson had been on the DL since July 5 after suffering a left shoulder strain in an outfield collision on July 1. The 25-year-old entered Tuesday's game with the Houston Astros batting .240 with two homers and eight RBI in 32 games for the Padres. He went 0-for-3 against the Astros.

Acquired from the Chicago Cubs on Monday for minor league pitcher Jose Ceda, Walker hit .277 with six home runs and 40 RBI in 94 contests. He went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in Tuesday's 1-0 loss to Houston.
In 17 games with the Padres, Sledge hit .222 with a homer and three RBI.

EY was a VERY popular teammate. I heard from someone that Trevor was PIZZED about this, although I am sure he is not the only one.He is the most vocal.
I feel for EY as they way they released him and gave Walker his number was kinda rude. I wont miss Sludge at all. I hope Ben can help them real soon...

Last nights game they looked flat. I hope they can snap outta it.

I F'N knew iT!!! first vinney, then young, so much for team f'n chemistry!!!

:icon_evil:

Reactions: BFISA

SDRaiderH8er

Apr 27, 2006
rexy2006 said:
YAH! I'm goin too. Maybe we can say howdy somewheres or tother...:icon_mrgreen:
My seats will be in Sec 120, arent the fire works in Center field?

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
wrbanwal said:

Yup!!:icon_evil:

Wonder who the "know it all fans" are gonna kick around now!!:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

Boltjolt

Jun 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
wrbanwal said:

Both guys are finished so i dont see the problem. Cant win with both guys hovering around the Mendoza line and you need offense.

I hear ya about the locker room but they werent producing and we need somebody that can.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Sure glad the Pads didn't trade for Ensberg!!:icon_eek: :no: :icon_rofl:

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Boltjolt said:
Both guys are finished so i dont see the problem. Cant win with both guys hovering around the Mendoza line and you need offense.

I hear ya about the locker room but they werent producing and we need somebody that can.
Jake hasn't Ed Zachary been settin the Pads world on fire.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
see, this is why I can't stand Towers,

the dude is always trying to make a move just to show he's trying to make the team better.

Todd Walker!!!????

well, at least he got a hit last night.

F***!!!

once again,

the pads leave 16 on base!!!!

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
anyone starting to think that the slump is more team morale then the players

Technically we got better; we got rid of Young and Castilla who weren't doing anything to help this team out. But instead we're crashing and burning. I'm starting to think this is a morale issue

Reactions: WonderSlug

rexy2006

Dec 17, 2005
San Diego
PostAnteaterCharger said:

Technically we got better; we got rid of Young and Castilla who weren't doing anything to help this team out. But instead we're crashing and burning. I'm starting to think this is a morale issue
gotta agree with you on this one.

the cuRse of vincenzo and eY continues...:unsure:

last time it was the curse of exxon valdeZ

rexy2006

Dec 17, 2005
San Diego
wrbanwal said:
see, this is why I can't stand Towers,

the dude is always trying to make a move just to show he's trying to make the team better.

Todd Walker!!!????

well, at least he got a hit last night.

F***!!!

once again,

the pads leave 16 on base!!!!
ben johnson left 5 on all by his lonesome. dude is rusty...

Boltjolt

Jun 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV

John Moores is part to blame...he is cheap with the players and wont get those key aquisitions.
I never liked the Giles pickup.....Jason Bay was ready and is blowing Giles numbers out of the water.
Hated the Castillo signing when it first happened.

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
Boltjolt said:
John Moores is part to blame...he is cheap with the players and wont get those key aquisitions.
I never liked the Giles pickup.....Jason Bay was ready and is blowing Giles numbers out of the water.
I still woulda kept Castilla unless we got a true upgrade over him. Walker isn't, I think the Pads were late on the ball on this one because they wanted to give Bellhorn/Blum a fair shake. At this point I want Leone up here. I think Moores is trying but its not working out like he hoped it to be, he's spending alot of money for a medium market team.

Btw Giles was as much a marketing point as it was a production and team leadership

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Boltjolt said:
Moores is cheap I'll give you that but, Towers is the one pulling the trigger on these stupid trades/signings. We had a coupla [players in Jason Bay and O Perez and he basically gave them away.

and what do we get?

washed up scrubs

Boltjolt

Jun 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
I still woulda kept Castilla unless we got a true upgrade over him. Walker isn't, I think the Pads were late on the ball on this one because they wanted to give Bellhorn/Blum a fair shake. At this point I want Leone up here. I think Moores is trying but its not working out like he hoped it to be, he's spending alot of money for a medium market team.

Btw Giles was as much a marketing point as it was a production and team leadership
Castillo cant f-ing hit away from Coors field and never could. Sure he is a good glove and what Towers did was trade a good bat in Walker for the hopes he can play 3rd base good enough and so far in his first game , he sucked. But he never played 3rd base before as far as i know.
Hec maybe Barfield would be better there temporarily and put Walker back at 2nd.

As for the marketing point...i think a new stadium was good enough

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
wrbanwal said:
Moores is cheap I'll give you that but, Towers is the one pulling the trigger on these stupid trades/signings. We had a coupla [players in Jason Bay and O Perez and he basically gave them away.

and what do we get?

washed up scrubs

Players that are impacting our team that came through the system in the Kevin Towers era
Khalil Greene
Josh Barfield
Jake Peavy
Clay Hensley
Ben Johnson
Mike Thompson

Great/Real Good players picked up recently by towers
Scott Linebrink
Adrian Gonzalez
Chris Young
Mike Cameron (I'm glad we got rid of Nady for him!)
Brian Giles
Alan Embree
Cla Meridith
Josh Bard
Dave Roberts

Look I'll admit I like Towers abit and yeahh sometimes he really does go on the cheap for players, but if your gonna tear him to shreds, how about noting some of hte really good moves he's made in the last few years

rexy2006

Dec 17, 2005
San Diego
:icon_banana: Todd Walker's awesome play on the first play of the first inning of today's game, (A "Hang a Star" play) made

Number One of the Top 10 Plays on

Sportscenter tonight.

If you missed it, it was freakin awesome: Tavares hits a liner that Todd snares, falls on his azz and throws him out, still sitting on aforementioned azz.

Freakin teh aWesome...:icon_banana:

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Players that are impacting our team that came through the system in the Kevin Towers era
Khalil Greene
Josh Barfield
Jake Peavy
Clay Hensley
Ben Johnson
Mike Thompson

Great/Real Good players picked up recently by towers
Scott Linebrink
Adrian Gonzalez
Chris Young
Mike Cameron (I'm glad we got rid of Nady for him!)
Brian Giles
Alan Embree
Cla Meridith
Josh Bard
Dave Roberts

Look I'll admit I like Towers abit and yeahh sometimes he really does go on the cheap for players, but if your gonna tear him to shreds, how about noting some of hte really good moves he's made in the last few years

OK AE,

Towers has done a great job at building a .500 team.

If they want to shed players why not get rid of Klesko, Brocail, and Williams? And you can throw GILES in there as well!!

these guys are washed up!

I want more dammit!!

they are a coupla big bats/pitchers from a great team.

PS. RAIDERS REALLY DO SUCK!!!

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005