Padres Hotstove

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hope Tatis plays more games, Paddack throws more innings, and Pomeranz makes the bullpen better.
yeah ok, I suppose that would give us a lift for sure but does it make us competitive with the Dodgers? Surely not next year. I realize we have a couple of years for a plan to get there .....I just hope the moves Prellesco is making are all towards steadily getting us to the promised land by the year after next. Thus far I'd say I'm not seeing it. Much left to do however , and hopefully we see some light at the end of the tunnel by time the season starts and with next year's record. Last year we did not reach our goal of .500. That was the benchmark for improvement. What is it this year? Improvement over last year so .500 again going to make people happy? Not me. Count me currently as cautiously skeptical. Glass half empty.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Meanwhile we still have Wil Myers and Eric Hosmer. That’s about a zillion dollars worth of salary just clogging up the so-called Hot Talent Lava. Nothing we can do but give that talent away for injured players. Hey Devil Rays - we’ll keep the injured guy if you take either Myers or Hosmer off of our hands. If you take both we’ll throw in Kinsler for free.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
El Cajon! Open up that TiqToq App, and get on the Gender-Neutral line. Show me your bendable recycled-paper straws, and represent your feelings. This is the modern-day, toothless, and child-safe Hacksaw Hamilton Show, in which I identify as a man with a full head of well-groomed hair and a model's mustache. You could disagree with me, but you'd still be respected as a sentient being.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Madison Bumgarner reportedly to sign with the Diamondbacks. We could have used his bat lolz.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Madison Bumgarner reportedly to sign with the Diamondbacks. We could have used his bat lolz.
I was hoping the Pads got him for the simple reason that Bochy loves the guy. Of course Preller Shampoo can’t have none of that.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Man, looking at the Bumgarner numbers, I’m wondering why the Pads couldn’t sign him.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Man, looking at the Bumgarner numbers, I’m wondering why the Pads couldn’t sign him.
yeah not outrageous at all compared with others who just signed. Maybe they figured they blew their wad on Manny. Or maybe they are gonna sink or swim with the lava.....so much for next year.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah not outrageous at all compared with others who just signed. Maybe they figured they blew their wad on Manny. Or maybe they are gonna sink or swim with the lava.....so much for next year.
With the horrible contracts given to Myers and Hosmer you may be right, though the Pads were considering going after Strasburg. I was checking out some tweets and there were some comments that Preller is very confident on his young starting pitching right now. I feel like a guy like Bumgarner would’ve been a perfect mentor for Paddack.

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
With the horrible contracts given to Myers and Hosmer you may be right, though the Pads were considering going after Strasburg. I was checking out some tweets and there were some comments that Preller is very confident on his young starting pitching right now. I feel like a guy like Bumgarner would’ve been a perfect mentor for Paddack.
The Padres don't have starting pitchers, just a bunch of long relievers, who, on the best day, can throw 5 innings.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
It’s pretty clear it will be impossible to unload Myers, this year or ever. I wonder if Hosmer could be moved to a team that needs a 1B. Although I think Hosmer is a very good fielder, I wasn’t initially too keen on his signing because Myers played 1B the season before, played pretty well there, was productive at the plate and played the whole season there. If Pham comes in and is not damaged goods, his bat will effectively replace Hosmer and Myers, if he can get his head straight, could be a decent power source the Pads lack.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So there’s some talk about the Padres acquiring All-Star SS Lindor from the Indians. The scuttlebutt is they’d move Tatis to CF.

San Diego already has a shortstop in 20-year-old Fernando Tatis Jr., but the club could shift Tatis to center field if it acquires Lindor. The 26-year-old could be there for the taking if the Padres want to act, as the Dodgers don't plan to make top prospect Gavin Lux (MLB's No. 2 overall prospect) available,

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So there’s some talk about the Padres acquiring All-Star SS Lindor from the Indians. The scuttlebutt is they’d move Tatis to CF.

San Diego already has a shortstop in 20-year-old Fernando Tatis Jr., but the club could shift Tatis to center field if it acquires Lindor. The 26-year-old could be there for the taking if the Padres want to act, as the Dodgers don't plan to make top prospect Gavin Lux (MLB's No. 2 overall prospect) available,
interesting, but would miss Tatis' plays at SS, maybe he makes acrobatic stuff in CF....probably would get hurt more if that's possible.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
interesting, but would miss Tatis' plays at SS, maybe he makes acrobatic stuff in CF....probably would get hurt more if that's possible.
If there is a concern about him being injury prone, CF would be the place to go. Robin Yount did the same thing, too injured to play SS so they moved him to CF and he excelled there. But Tatis is soooooo good at short. I doubt the deal gets done anyway.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
It’s pretty clear it will be impossible to unload Myers, this year or ever. I wonder if Hosmer could be moved to a team that needs a 1B. Although I think Hosmer is a very good fielder, I wasn’t initially too keen on his signing because Myers played 1B the season before, played pretty well there, was productive at the plate and played the whole season there. If Pham comes in and is not damaged goods, his bat will effectively replace Hosmer and Myers, if he can get his head straight, could be a decent power source the Pads lack.
Give the other team Hosmer and Preller in return for that team taking Myers?

• Haha

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Get lindor
Lindor would be a great offensive addition, but my fundamental problem with this is the fact they’d have to move their best player from his natural position to accommodate Lindor. This just amplifies the head scratching moves Preller has made, he had a great power hitting tandom in Franmil and Renfroe, then he inexplicably gives away Franmil even though there was no rush to do so. Renfroe immediately tanks, so they’re stuck trading him for Pham, which will be a good pickup IF he plays. Now they are desperate to make a big move, and they are looking at Lindor, but at the expense of moving Tatis to CF. Preller has two strikes against him in my view, hiring a completely unqualified manager in our supposed push year, and now making desperate trades.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Betts for Myers deal being discussed.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Betts for Myers deal being discussed.

Maybe Mookie Wilson for Randy Myers

Reactions: Fender57