Padres Hotstove

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I like that we got bullpen help. I don't like getting rid of Urias for yet another unproven outfielder. My judgement regarding giving up Lauer for a different starting pitcher will depend on which player is better. This is all off the top of my head without doing any research.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Unless Preller pulls a rabbit out of his hat, there is no answer at 2B in their supposed push for the playoffs this year. They cannot win with Kinsler playing second. It’s already bad enough with a catcher who literally cannot hit major league pitching, but up the middle the only solid player is Tatis. Catcher, 2B and CF are all manned by stiffs.
If Kinsler starts, we need to start looking for a new manager Day 1.
Boch!

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

I don't know if all the new, weird baseball stats mean anything. And I don't know if my theory that an unproven, young 2nd- baseman is better than yet another unproven, young corner outfielder has any truth to it. However, if either the new math or my theory have merit, it shows why the small-market Brewers are perennial contenders and we perennially suck ass. I haven't come down on the side of firing AJ Preller yet mostly because I don't trust my modern-day baseball expertise, but I continue to question everything he does with the Major League roster. Has the dude ever read Moneyball? If he has, I think he either thinks it is bullshit or just doesn't understand it.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

I don't know if all the new, weird baseball stats mean anything. And I don't know if my theory that an unproven, young 2nd- baseman is better than yet another unproven, young corner outfielder has any truth to it. However, if either the new math or my theory have merit, it shows why the small-market Brewers are perennial contenders and we perennially suck ass. I haven't come down on the side of firing AJ Preller yet mostly because I don't trust my modern-day baseball expertise, but I continue to question everything he does with the Major League roster. Has the dude ever read Moneyball? If he has, I think he either thinks it is bullshit or just doesn't understand it.
I think he thinks it’s bullshit. He comes across as someone who does it his way and screw everything else. Look at his managerial hires.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
That pretty detailed analysis of the trade doesn't sound too good for SD. Not sayin' this guy knows everything or that all his stats are gonna prove his point, but damn, if he turns out to be a prophet, Preller effed up. Thus far the trades and the new manager he brought in are not real encouraging for next year.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
That pretty detailed analysis of the trade doesn't sound too good for SD. Not sayin' this guy knows everything or that all his stats are gonna prove his point, but damn, if he turns out to be a prophet, Preller effed up. Thus far the trades and the new manager he brought in are not real encouraging for next year.
The guy looks like he’s been a scout since the 90s, so he likely knows what he’s talking about. One thing that he didn’t mention is the fact that Urias was forced to play 2B when promoted to the big club. Was he playing SS, his natural position at AAA? If so, that might explain his offensive production down there.

I suspect there will be more deals forthcoming.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
yeah, watch Urias tear it up now
I kow Urias will do better because he is going to a winning organization. But he wasn't part of this trade. We gave up a catcher in this one, so that catcher better not be better than Hedges.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I kow Urias will do better because he is going to a winning organization. But he wasn't part of this trade. We gave up a catcher in this one, so that catcher better not be better than Hedges.
He wasn’t directly involved in the trade, but moving him created a hole there, unless you consider Kinsler/France/Garcia viable solutions.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Your other point about Allen (the catcher) being better than Hedges - Allen absolutely is better offensively. Hedges is a very good defensive catcher, is an expert at calling a game (though Paddack preferred Mejia strangely enough) but his hitting is so bad that he really shouldn’t be playing in the majors. Seriously.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Your other point about Allen (the catcher) being better than Hedges - Allen absolutely is better offensively. Hedges is a very good defensive catcher, is an expert at calling a game (though Paddack preferred Mejia strangely enough) but his hitting is so bad that he really shouldn’t be playing in the majors. Seriously.
I hope you're wrong.

Reactions: Fender57

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I’d love nothing more than for Hedges to learn to hit. But it’s been three seasons now, I don’t expect him to get better.
I don't have hopes for that. I just don't want the guy we traded to end up being good for somebody else. Let's not get Rizzoed.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't have hopes for that. I just don't want the guy we traded to end up being good for somebody else. Let's not get Rizzoed.
Allen’s ceiling is that if a serviceable catcher, I don’t see him being an everyday player and he may end up at DH. That said, it’s entirely possible the Pads f’d this up.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yeah it's a major shame about Hedges' hitting. Damn. Fantastic defensive catcher and a team guy. Was hoping that mini streak he was on during the year would last but it petered out. He's exactly the defensive catcher a young staff needs. Just hit the damn ball. The article on him was also making him a favorite....he is well aware of the hitting situation and working to correct it but it hasn't happened yet. Bummer.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah it's a major shame about Hedges' hitting. Damn. Fantastic defensive catcher and a team guy. Was hoping that mini streak he was on during the year would last but it petered out. He's exactly the defensive catcher a young staff needs. Just hit the damn ball. The article on him was also making him a favorite....he is well aware of the hitting situation and working to correct it but it hasn't happened yet. Bummer.
He’s been working at it for at least three years, and before that he was barely a solid number 8 hitter in the lineup. Offensively he is a wasted turn in the batting order.

Defensively he is a guy this young staff needs, although I do find it curious (maybe telling?) that Paddack prefers Mejia. I think they need to give Mejia the job and let him run with it (although he too has issues, remember when he flipped off Yates?)

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He’s been working at it for at least three years, and before that he was barely a solid number 8 hitter in the lineup. Offensively he is a wasted turn in the batting order.

Defensively he is a guy this young staff needs, although I do find it curious (maybe telling?) that Paddack prefers Mejia. I think they need to give Mejia the job and let him run with it (although he too has issues, remember when he flipped off Yates?)
lolz, yeah probably not the guy you want to flip off.

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007

I have the solution.

1. Get the DH to the NL.
2. Find five good hitting pitchers.
3. DH for Hedges.

:)

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I have the solution.

1. Get the DH to the NL.
2. Find five good hitting pitchers.
3. DH for Hedges.

:)
I think there’s is only one pitcher who can hit worth a damn available, and that’s Bumgardner. Maybe have him DH every night and pitch every fifth game. Maybe they could pry that Japanese guy from the Angels too.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Welp, they did it. Padres trade Renfroe.

The Padres are adding another outfielder and sending one away in arguably the most significant trade they have made involving major leaguers in nearly five years.
Tommy Pham, who last year hit .273 with an .818 OPS for the Tampa Bay Rays is now the Padres left fielder. Hunter Renfroe, the Padres home run leader with 33 in 2019, will be sent to the Rays.
There are other pieces to the deal, including infielder Xavier Edwards going to the Rays and the Padres getting an infield prospect in return. The 20-year-old Edwards was the Padres’ fifth-ranked prospect.
Pham is the most accomplished major leaguer the Padres have acquired via trade since they made swaps that brought them Matt Kemp, Wil Myers and Justin Upton in December 2014 and Craig Kimbrel a day before the ’15 season opener.
ADVERTISING

Acquiring a veteran — as well as jettisoning Renfroe and a top prospect — is another clear sign the Padres believe they are close to contention. Most of general manager A.J. Preller’s trades over the past four years have involved sending away major leaguers for minor league prospects.
Pham is the second outfielder the Padres acquired via trade this offseason. They sent second baseman Luis Urias and starting pitcher Eric Lauer to the Brewers on Nov. 27 in exchange for outfielder Trent Grisham and starting pitcher Zach Davies.
On Monday, the Padres acquired infielder Jurickson Profar, sending catcher Austin Allen and a player to be named later to the Oakland A’s. They have been the most active team in the trade market.
The Padres believe the 31-year-old Pham will help improve their production against right-handed pitching and add an edge to the clubhouse.

Pham made his debut with the St. Louis Cardinals in 2014 and remained in the organization until being traded to the Rays on July 31, 2018. In 2,2112 major league plate appearances, the right-handed hitter has batted .277/.373/.472. His .856 OPS since the start of 2017 ranks 27th among 104 qualifying players. That makes him the highest-ranked Padres player in that category, ahead of Manny Machado’s .828 mark.
Unlike most of the Padres’ right-handed batters, Pham’s splits are fairly balanced. He is a career .271 hitter and has a .827 OPS against right-handed pitchers.
The Padres batted .234 against right-handers in 2019, tied with the Toronto Blue Jays for lowest in the majors. Their .705 OPS against righties was fifth-lowest.
Grisham, who bats left-handed, also is expected to help the righty cause. As a rookie in 2019, he batted .234 with a .745 OPS in 147 plate appearances against righties.
Pham, who is projected by MLB Trade Rumors to be awarded $8.6 million in arbitration for 2020, played primarily in left field for the Rays and is expected to start there for the Padres. The team also has Grisham, Manuel Margot and Franchy Cordero as potential center fielders and Wil Myers and Josh Naylor as possibilities in right.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
ESPN’s report.

The maddening sentence from the link: “The Rays could play him at shortstop, though a scout who saw Edwards multiple times this season believes he could be a Gold Glove-caliber fielder at second base.” Great, just great.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Man, all the times he was rumored to be traded and they trade him when his value sinks to his lowest.