Padres Hotstove

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
i think it depends if they can move some or all of myers salary.
That was my take too. Moving prospects will not clear any space but moving Myers along with a blue chipper will clear up space, though maybe not enough to land Strasburg. But getting rid of Myers is addition by subtraction.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Trade rumors (Urias?); Fragile Franchy news.

Padres GM AJ Preller spoke to reporters at the GM Meetings in Arizona yesterday, with a few interesting notes on the club’s current roster concerns. While Preller didn’t unequivocally dispel rumors of Luis Urias‘ availability on the trade market, he did offer that he sees “a lot of scenarios” in which the youngster is starting in the middle infield in 2020 (as noted in an article from Dennis Lin of The Athletic). Meanwhile, catcher Francisco Mejia is “very much in the catching equation” for the club next year, and team officials still feel like Austin Hedges can “swing the bat a lot better than he did [in 2019]”.

Preller also shared that the club is expected to retain second bagger Greg Garcia and that the club’s catching depth is “an area we get hit on”from other teams. Taken together, these comments don’t provide much clarity with regard to the team’s plans at catcher and second, but could be seen as typical of an executive staring down an offseason that offers a dizzying number of potential routes toward club improvement.

More from the NL West…

• Another one of Preller’s many touted young players, outfielder Franchy Cordero, tweaked a glute muscle while rehabbing at the team’s complex in Arizona this week. As reported by AJ Cassavell of MLB.com (link), the injury is not expected to be overly serious but should delay the 25-year-old’s participation in the Dominican Winter Leagues. Padres fans know well the extent to which Cordero has been limited in recent years by injuries, as a chronic elbow issue acted in concert with a quad injury to rob him of the majority of his 2019 season. Cordero, a lefty-swinging outfielder capable of playing center, fits exactly the type of player the Padres have been rumored to be in pursuit of this offseason, though he has been limited to just 79 major league games since debuting in 2017. For what it’s worth, Preller still characterized Cordero as, “One of the more talented and physically gifted players in the league in terms of a speed/power combo.”

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Acee article on Preller.
  • Preller was not very visible to the big league club in 2019. He plans on spending more time with the big league club in 2020
  • Green seemed to not be in alignment with the front office but it was pointed out he often had a lack of direction given to him from up top
  • Green is now the bench coach for the Cubs
  • There are grumblings across baseball, as well as from two of the candidates interviewed, that Preller engineered the hiring of Tingler from the get-go (NO SHIT!)

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Acee article on Preller.
  • Preller was not very visible to the big league club in 2019. He plans on spending more time with the big league club in 2020
  • Green seemed to not be in alignment with the front office but it was pointed out he often had a lack of direction given to him from up top
  • Green is now the bench coach for the Cubs
  • There are grumblings across baseball, as well as from two of the candidates interviewed, that Preller engineered the hiring of Tingler from the get-go (NO SHIT!)

Lack of direction from up top? No. Preller's vision and plan are so concrete and obvious. It is what I have been saying for a couple years now. I mean, everybody who reads this column can clearly articulate what Preller's plan is. It is to, uh, um, improve and align? Bring hard work up to the Big League level? Yea. So clear.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Padres trade Urias and Lauer to the Brewers. I guess we’re going to see more of Kinsler at 2B.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I don't understand what they're trying to do. To me these moves don't make a lot of sense.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't understand what they're trying to do. To me these moves don't make a lot of sense.
Kind of ties in with their manager selection. Urias was once untouchable, now he’s shuttled off for another outfield prospect and a journeyman pitcher. I wonder who will play second now? Penciling in Kinsler is unacceptable. Garcia is a bench utility guy, period.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Kind of ties in with their manager selection. Urias was once untouchable, now he’s shuttled off for another outfield prospect and a journeyman pitcher. I wonder who will play second now? Penciling in Kinsler is unacceptable. Garcia is a bench utility guy, period.
Urias actually was playing much betterl in the final month of the season. Looking at his stats, he raised his batting average 45 points, OBP 26 points, SLG 60 points and OPS 82 points. Why give up on him now?

On a side note, I pretty much checked out the last few weeks of the season from following the actual games (only the Andy Green drama). I didn't realize they lost 15 out of their last 16 games. Ouch.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Urias actually was playing much betterl in the final month of the season. Looking at his stats, he raised his batting average 45 points, OBP 26 points, SLG 60 points and OPS 82 points. Why give up on him now?

On a side note, I pretty much checked out the last few weeks of the season from following the actual games (only the Andy Green drama). I didn't realize they lost 15 out of their last 16 games. Ouch.
You are correct, Urias was showing some life at the end. I was already of the mindset that he was the second baseman. Strange move.

7 of those last 8 games were lost under Barajas. So that means Green lost 8 in a row before he was fired.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Kinsler at 2nd??? Is that what they are doing? More one finger salutes to the fans? It's like they are treading water with these moves, maybe even sinking a little. Sure isn't anything to get excited about. Just like the new manager.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
A little more about the guys they acquired.

Davies had 17 wins two seasons ago. He is presumably going to be the veteran starter of the rotation.

Grisham was a former first round pick. Hit six homers in limited duty in the majors. Can play center field. They still have a logjam out there with Myers.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Kinsler at 2nd??? Is that what they are doing? More one finger salutes to the fans? It's like they are treading water with these moves, maybe even sinking a little. Sure isn't anything to get excited about. Just like the new manager.
Unless Preller pulls a rabbit out of his hat, there is no answer at 2B in their supposed push for the playoffs this year. They cannot win with Kinsler playing second. It’s already bad enough with a catcher who literally cannot hit major league pitching, but up the middle the only solid player is Tatis. Catcher, 2B and CF are all manned by stiffs.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I have a feeling the next trade may involve Renfroe. If that comes to pass, Preller would have shuttled two 40-HR potential guys in one season.

• Sad
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Davies had 17 wins two seasons ago. He is presumably going to be the veteran starter of the rotation.

Grisham was a former first round pick. Hit six homers in limited duty in the majors. Can play center field. They still have a logjam out there with Myers.

will remain to be seen which team's new acquisitions produce as originally expected.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I have a feeling the next trade may involve Renfroe. If that comes to pass, Preller would have shuttled two 40-HR potential guys in one season.
Well if he plays like he did in the second half of the season, they should get rid of him. Hopefully that was just him battling through injuries because his production sure fell off a cliff once Franmil left.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Davies is a good pick up.

other guys is trade fodder.

Urias had no pop in his swing. Not impressed with him at all.

lauer was a huge disappointment.

like the trade.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Well if he plays like he did in the second half of the season, they should get rid of him. Hopefully that was just him battling through injuries because his production sure fell off a cliff once Franmil left.
Sometimes the sum is greater than the parts. It was Q who stated that Franmil was great batting second in the lineup ahead of Manny. Whatever the reason or chemistry, with those two in the lineup they were above .500 at the break; once they shuttled Franmil the Pads sunk like a dead mobster thrown into the ocean. I think Renfroe deserves another chance but my feeling is they will never be able to shuttle Myers, Margot is too mediocre to actually get anything in return, and Franchy has been injury-prone his whole career. So that’s why I think Froe is in the block, they can get the most value for him.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007

Doh, I totally didn't see the part about Davies. I was too focused on Pomeranz. I'm not familiar with him but his numbers look pretty good.

This could be a good deal. Garcia could be a band-aid at 2B (Kinsler GTFO) but hopefully they can find an upgrade.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Doh, I totally didn't see the part about Davies. I was too focused on Pomeranz. I'm not familiar with him but his numbers look pretty good.

This could be a good deal. Garcia could be a band-aid at 2B (Kinsler GTFO) but hopefully they can find an upgrade.
I wasn’t familiar with him either. Everything I’m reading about him seems positive, but he’s not the next coming of Strasburg. Milwaukee fans seemed to be sad he’s leaving. Many are projecting him to be a solid fourth starter.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I wasn’t familiar with him either. Everything I’m reading about him seems positive, but he’s not the next coming of Strasburg. Milwaukee fans seemed to be sad he’s leaving. Many are projecting him to be a solid fourth starter.
he can top out at 3.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Fourth starter in this rotation? That's not a glowing endorsement.

Lauer was a fourth starter.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Fourth starter in this rotation? That's not a glowing endorsement.

Lauer was a fourth starter.
Yeah, the only thing Davies has going over Lauer is experience. But this is a lateral move at best.