• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres agree to deals with three players

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #GoBoats #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25738388/san-diego-padres-agree-deals-three-players

SAN DIEGO -- The Padres agreed to one-year contracts with their three remaining arbitration-eligible players: closer Kirby Yates, catcher Austin Hedges and left-hander Robbie Erlin.
Yates agreed Friday to a deal for $3,062,500, Hedges for $2.06 million and Erlin for $1.45 million.
Yates took over as closer after All-Star Brad Hand was traded to Cleveland. Yates finished with 12 saves and a 2.14 ERA while going 3-5.
Erlin was 4-7 with a 4.21 ERA in 39 appearances, including 12 starts. Hedges hit .231 with 14 homers and 37 RBIs.
San Diego outfielder Travis Jankowski agreed Thursday to a $1,165,000 salary for this year.

RamAirVA

Curse and Damn You Spanos!
I'd love to see the Pads eventually get respectable, then stay there.

Hell, I'd love to see a Nats/Pads NLCS and all of the virtual grenade lobbing between you guys and me that would inevitably follow... ;)

I'd love to see the Pads eventually get respectable, then stay there.

Hell, I'd love to see a Nats/Pads NLCS and all of the virtual grenade lobbing between you guys and me that would inevitably follow... ;)
In baseball, small market San Diego will never be good more than one or two years every other decade. Once we start winning, our best players start leaving for bigger paychecks. Gwynn and Hoffman were the exceptions.

In baseball, small market San Diego will never be good more than one or two years every other decade. Once we start winning, our best players start leaving for bigger paychecks. Gwynn and Hoffman were the exceptions.
Probably true, but there is a method to their madness. They’ve jammed the pipeline with so much talent they theoretically should have good players funneling through constantly. And the article describes how they’ve methodically whittled down the huge debt Moores left them with - this also gives them the ability to sign veterans when needed to enhance the young talent. For a small market team it’s a pretty good strategy.

Probably true, but there is a method to their madness. They’ve jammed the pipeline with so much talent they theoretically should have good players funneling through constantly. And the article describes how they’ve methodically whittled down the huge debt Moores left them with - this also gives them the ability to sign veterans when needed to enhance the young talent. For a small market team it’s a pretty good strategy.
Is it Brad Pitt's Money Ball strategy?

Hey, which Billy Bean(e) is the Money Ball guy? Was it the one who used to play for us, or is it the other one with the same name who played baseball around the same time?

Nevermind. I Googled my question. We had Billy Bean, whose biggest claim to fame is that he came out as gay. The Money Ball guy is Billy Beane, who never played for us.

And, no. We aren't following Brad Pitt's strategy. If we want to do that, we need to hire the fat kid from Superbad.

Nevermind. I Googled my question. We had Billy Bean, whose biggest claim to fame is that he came out as gay. The Money Ball guy is Billy Beane, who never played for us.

And, no. We aren't following Brad Pitt's strategy. If we want to do that, we need to hire the fat kid from Superbad.
It’s more like how the Royals won, but we were saddled with huge debt we needed gone.