Padres 2019 game day thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
now we get to see the fabulous bullpen :eek:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Predictably the bullpen collapsed and lost the game again. Horrible bullpen this year. Wingenter credited with 3 runs in this one. They should just call it the bullshitpen.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Predictably the bullpen collapsed and lost the game again. Horrible bullpen this year. Wingenter credited with 3 runs in this one. They should just call it the bullshitpen.
I'm actually starting to lose a little interest in the team this year.

So sick of seeing Kinsler and Myers out there on a regular basis doing nothing. And based on his contract, Machado is bordering on a bust. I was so excited when they signed him but he is just dead at the plate and that's the area where the team is really struggling and he needs to be the guy who is feared in the lineup.

And Paddack seems like just a guy now. Tatis is the only one who brings it every day (when he's allowed to play).

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

So sick of seeing Kinsler and Myers out there on a regular basis doing nothing. And based on his contract, Machado is bordering on a bust. I was so excited when they signed him but he is just dead at the plate and that's the area where the team is really struggling and he needs to be the guy who is feared in the lineup.

And Paddack seems like just a guy now. Tatis is the only one who brings it every day (when he's allowed to play).
Yup same here. They were supposed to be the new exciting team but other than Tatis , renfroe, Reyes and Yates they are mostly boring as hell. And yes machado thus far is a huge disappointment at the plate. Looks like he benefitted big time from the dogger lineup. The doggers let him go and apparently for good reason. Great fielder but you don’t pay all that money unless it comes with offensive bigtime production. Big brown mess , not machine. Hot lava mess, not flow. Green might get the shaft if this continues and rightly so. If this continues next year, preller on the hot seat. Brown effing mess managed by green mess.last nite kinsler and renfroe failed bigtime in the first inning to bring home 2 runners.and agree paddack now just another pitcher for his last 3 outings.and obviously there is no bullpen.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Renfroe and Yates on the block?

The Padres have taken the next step in their rebuild with a young, competitive club, but they already sit 11 1/2 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West and face an extremely crowded field for the league's Wild Card spots. Rosenthal reported that Padres outfielder Hunter Renfroe is "quite popular" in trade talks as he enjoys a career season -- and he's an attractive asset with a $582,100 salary in 2019 and three more years of club control down the line. Some in the industry speculate that San Diego GM A.J. Preller could try to deal closer Kirby Yates, Rosenthal reported, while Yates' value is cresting -- a deal that would be similar to the Brad Hand trade from last summer. But Preller would need to get a significant return for Yates (23-for-23 in save chances, 0.96 ERA) to justify such a deal in the eyes of San Diego fans and his own clubhouse.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Renfroe and Yates on the block?

The Padres have taken the next step in their rebuild with a young, competitive club, but they already sit 11 1/2 games back of the Dodgers in the NL West and face an extremely crowded field for the league's Wild Card spots. Rosenthal reported that Padres outfielder Hunter Renfroe is "quite popular" in trade talks as he enjoys a career season -- and he's an attractive asset with a $582,100 salary in 2019 and three more years of club control down the line. Some in the industry speculate that San Diego GM A.J. Preller could try to deal closer Kirby Yates, Rosenthal reported, while Yates' value is cresting -- a deal that would be similar to the Brad Hand trade from last summer. But Preller would need to get a significant return for Yates (23-for-23 in save chances, 0.96 ERA) to justify such a deal in the eyes of San Diego fans and his own clubhouse.
typical....trade away your best players. Dumbass move if they do it. Jeebus, at least try to give the impression you give a schit about the future. Hey let's trade Tatis and Reyes while we are at it.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
typical....trade away your best players. Dumbass move if they do it. Jeebus, at least try to give the impression you give a schit about the future. Hey let's trade Tatis and Reyes while we are at it.
I can understand trading Yates. He, like Hand was a guy they salvaged off of the scrap heap. He's peaking and who knows if he can ever repeat playing at this level again in another season. I think they're pretty confident that one of the young relievers in the minors can replace him but don't you want your closer to be more of a seasoned vet? And what if they can't find that closer? Then they'll have to give up some good prospects to get one.

I'm going to be so pissed if they trade Renfroe but I think the writing is on the wall. He's not a Preller guy and they are so crowded in the outfield and he has the best trade value.

The thing about Renfroe is that he is probably our most clutch player. No one else comes up with big hits in big moments like he has.

Can you imagine how it's going to be if we trade Renfroe and can't get rid of Myers. UGH.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Yup same here. They were supposed to be the new exciting team but other than Tatis , renfroe, Reyes and Yates they are mostly boring as hell. And yes machado thus far is a huge disappointment at the plate. Looks like he benefitted big time from the dogger lineup. The doggers let him go and apparently for good reason. Great fielder but you don’t pay all that money unless it comes with offensive bigtime production. Big brown mess , not machine. Hot lava mess, not flow. Green might get the shaft if this continues and rightly so. If this continues next year, preller on the hot seat. Brown effing mess managed by green mess.last nite kinsler and renfroe failed bigtime in the first inning to bring home 2 runners.and agree paddack now just another pitcher for his last 3 outings.and obviously there is no bullpen.
I have to give Paddack a pass. He's a rookie and had one of the best starts of a pitcher in history. He gave us absurd expectations and now that he's come back to earth a bit, we gotta be patient lol. It's just frustration speaking.

Machado though does not get a pass. What a major disappointment he has been. It already looks like he's just going through he motions. Fat cat got paid and lost the fire. And we have nine more years of this? LOL

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
well looks like just as the Padres are beginning their descent for the year the forum colors are Padre brown and gold LMAO. I like this new color scheme! Easy on the eyes.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I have to give Paddack a pass. He's a rookie and had one of the best starts of a pitcher in history. He gave us absurd expectations and now that he's come back to earth a bit, we gotta be patient lol. It's just frustration speaking.

Machado though does not get a pass. What a major disappointment he has been. It already looks like he's just going through he motions. Fat cat got paid and lost the fire. And we have nine more years of this? LOL
Yes can give Paddack a pass and hopefully he learns and develops his skillset to the point he becomes a major factor. I really don't get Machado ......does he not have the drive to be the best, is there no pride factor? There were detractors who said it was a risky signing and cited this very issue. I don't know, maybe he is just so even keeled all the time he appears to not care , but all this speculation about his desire would go away if he just produces at the plate. Nine years of this??? :eek:LOLOLOLOL

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I can understand trading Yates. He, like Hand was a guy they salvaged off of the scrap heap. He's peaking and who knows if he can ever repeat playing at this level again in another season. I think they're pretty confident that one of the young relievers in the minors can replace him but don't you want your closer to be more of a seasoned vet? And what if they can't find that closer? Then they'll have to give up some good prospects to get one.

I'm going to be so pissed if they trade Renfroe but I think the writing is on the wall. He's not a Preller guy and they are so crowded in the outfield and he has the best trade value.

The thing about Renfroe is that he is probably our most clutch player. No one else comes up with big hits in big moments like he has.

Can you imagine how it's going to be if we trade Renfroe and can't get rid of Myers. UGH.
Yes I'd prefer a veteran closer. Sure you can get value for Yates and Renfroe but if they don't have the guys ready in the farm system who can produce just as much as these guys then it's a big risk to let em go. You gotta keep your top talent. It's frustrating because the Pads have had a long history of unloading the top players. This organization claims they are in it to win it.....but proof is in the pudding. They better have equal value at least for those 2 in a trade. If they speculate on prospects and those don't mature to the level of these guys it's another losing proposition. And agree, Renfroe has been clutch.....in really crucial situations he's been the bat that has done the most damage. To me it would be a huge loss. Just watch the guy go star for the Yankees or Red Sox etc etc. And Yates probably has learned a lot from our pitching coach.......maybe they have someone in mind who can be a closer but how do you do better than what Yates has done? Sure no guarantee he'll continue but also no guarantee their farm system produces equal value. And if they trade for one then there goes some prospects, no one is giving us a 'yates' for free. Gonna cost bigtime. Seems to me they are messing with the chemistry. It was as if this team was really a together group and for a while they might be special this year, then the Tatis injury and during that time machado slowly has regressed at the plate, but spectacular fielding. And now the starting pitching and bullpen are really mediocre and not on a very competitive level. It's just a long ways off. And I spent 90.00 on MLB.TV for the Pads LOLOLOL. Bad decision looks like. They are starting to get pretty boring.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Paddack optioned to AAA.

he needs the rest and to work on some stuff but mainly the rest. Hopefully he recovers what he had before and can remain durable in the future.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
he needs the rest and to work on some stuff but mainly the rest. Hopefully he recovers what he had before and can remain durable in the future.
Hopefully he can work on his curve there quite a bit. He really needs a third pitch.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Pretty much everywhere else. Hedges over Allen/Mejia. Machado over France. Renfroe over Naylor.
Everybody we expect to have starting when we make our run should be starting. Guys who don't fit in our plans should be in the minors, cut, traded, or benched. Perhaps that is a better explanation of what I want for the remainder of the year. The fact Kinsler still gets starts, Renfroe and Reyes still have days on the bench, and Urias was sent down to the minors tells me somebody isn't really serious about getting ready for the future.
And these rumors about trading Renfroe need to be shut down soon.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I wasn't happy when I saw the Yates rumors. But I just Googled his age - 32. He will be old by the time we go for the tenant. If we can get something awesome for Yates, we should go for it.

There is zero reason to trade Renfroe.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Machado is the guy who is feared. He is going to come around with hitting, but, in the meantime, the guy who bats in front of him is always better than he would be without Machado. If we aren't playing to win this year, I don't get the negativity surrounding not winning. However, I am similarly frustrated about seeing Kinsler and Myers, who aren't our future. Whoever is responsible for putting those guys out there is stunting our future.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
No Renfroe tonite. Naylor starting and batting 2nd. Kinsler starting.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Naylor doubles off the top of the wall.....barely misses the HR.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
effin great,,,,,,,Mole grounds into a double play with bases loaded and one out. Jeebus. Dude never ever should have cut the dreads. He pulls a Samson on us.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Wonder what Renfroe woulda done there? Guess we'll never know.