Padres 2019 game day thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
That a bunch of Padre fans went up to pay tribute to Franmil in Anaheim on a home game night speaks volumes. Total eff up by this team's management. You do NOT trade away fan favorites like that. And I think it's no accident the team batting has cooled off. He wasn't just a fan favorite but also a player favorite. Dumbass move.

I haven't been paying any attention since that and the loss of Tatis to injury. How are we doing since Franmil left in the W-L column and in the standings? And how is Franmil's average now. I know initially for about a month he was suckage. But even IF he's not doing what he was here, it's likely because of chemistry. Being happy is sort of important wouldn't one think? Is there a happiness or chemisry statistic that sabremetrics has I don't know about? do greenjeans and preller use that statistic too just like all the others? WTF man. Eff it. I want my Mole back. That night he sang to the crowd was magical. Now look, fans are choosing to drive to OC instead of going to a home game. lolz. Way to go Padres.
Franmil has 7HR in Cleveland and is hitting something like .238. He had something like 27 RBI so he’s doing better there (he had like 44 here). This is a case where both the player and team suffered.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Franmil has 7HR in Cleveland and is hitting something like .238. He had something like 27 RBI so he’s doing better there (he had like 44 here). This is a case where both the player and team suffered.
he loved SD. SD loved him. Stupid trade. Unless that prospect turns into a tremendous player AND at the same time is the locker room catalyst that Franmil was, well it was a bad deal.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
he loved SD. SD loved him. Stupid trade. Unless that prospect turns into a tremendous player AND at the same time is the locker room catalyst that Franmil was, well it was a bad deal.
I really don’t see a defensive spot for Franmil but Carmelo Martinez was a bad fielder in 1984 (a first baseman forced to play OF because we had Garvey) but Dick Williams had the brains and courage to stick him out there every day and force him to get better at his trade. They should’ve tried to somehow make it work. We had our own bash brothers and we diffused it before it even got off the ground. And if they had to move him they needed to get something great in return. We supposedly have the best pipeline in MLB, why did we have to hastily add one more?

Reactions: Gill Man and TTK

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
wow. Interesting. That's the thing....this year they never put it all together at one time on offense. A couple of guys would get hot, the others languish, then those couple of guys would cool off and another guy or two get hot. They gotta get consistency across the board.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Agree I'm hoping Green is gone next year......I just think a veteran presence is needed there..but not sure who. New manageer and some new players maybe gets things fired up again. We lost the mojo from earlier in the year. Still upset Mole is gone......at least he was a fan favorite and brought some fun to the game.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Machado's greatest contribution to the Padres this year was that he was the perfect guy to hit after Franmil Reyes. La Mole was killing baseballs when Manny was in the on-deck circle. Of course, the Padres had to go and mess that up too. I told y'all Franmil would stink once the team moved him to a different spot in the order.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Machado's greatest contribution to the Padres this year was that he was the perfect guy to hit after Franmil Reyes. La Mole was killing baseballs when Manny was in the on-deck circle. Of course, the Padres had to go and mess that up too. I told y'all Franmil would stink once the team moved him to a different spot in the order.
Correction: Manny’s greatest contribution was his defensive play at 3B. Gold Glove material there.

Franmil has 36 HR (9 with Cleveland). His HR output tanked (so did Renfroe’s) after the trade.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Correction: Manny’s greatest contribution was his defensive play at 3B. Gold Glove material there.

Franmil has 36 HR (9 with Cleveland). His HR output tanked (so did Renfroe’s) after the trade.
La Mole had about 30 Homers and a much higher average before he got switched from the 2 spot.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
La Mole had about 30 Homers and a much higher average before he got switched from the 2 spot.
Not sure about the average, he’s actually hitting for average better in Cleveland, but his power numbers dropped after the trade, as did Renfroe’s. I don’t know the numbers he had at the two spot vs out of the two spot but I agree he benefited hitting there at 2.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Not sure about the average, he’s actually hitting for average better in Cleveland, but his power numbers dropped after the trade, as did Renfroe’s. I don’t know the numbers he had at the two spot vs out of the two spot but I agree he benefited hitting there at 2.
He nosedived into suckage levels the moment he stopped hitting in front of Manny.

Last edited:

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Renfroe update: Hitting .170 since the All-Star break.

Should have never got rid of Franimal. :(

• Wow
Reactions: Gill Man

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Well I’m not impressed with the way they’re playing under Barajas. So much for being the players buddy. Bring in a veteran ass kicker.

Reactions: Gill Man

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Padres end the season with a whimper, 1-0 loss to AZ.

Rod Barajas finishes with a 1-8 record.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Padres end the season with a whimper, 1-0 loss to AZ.

Rod Barajas finishes with a 1-8 record.
Glad Green is gone but this winds up defending him, especially since the players supposedly really love Barajas. There's a ton of potential and talent but they're just not very good. Bochy, Maddon, whoever couldn't win with this team.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Glad Green is gone but this winds up defending him, especially since the players supposedly really love Barajas. There's a ton of potential and talent but they're just not very good. Bochy, Maddon, whoever couldn't win with this team.
I was glad when we fired Schottenheimer and Black, but, in each case, the replacement was worse. Let's not pick another loser.

Reactions: TTK

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don’t see how this defends Green and you can conclude Bochy or Maddon can’t win with this team. Maybe Barajas is just worse than Green.

In the article about Barajas last week Barajas admitted he wasn’t ready to manage at the major league level and said he needed to be bench coach to learn before he felt ready. Perhaps he just isn’t ready still.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I don’t see how this defends Green and you can conclude Bochy or Maddon can’t win with this team. Maybe Barajas is just worse than Green.

In the article about Barajas last week Barajas admitted he wasn’t ready to manage at the major league level and said he needed to be bench coach to learn before he felt ready. Perhaps he just isn’t ready still.
The pitching is very young so they get a pass for needing time to develop.

How do you explain how bad the offense was? There were some rookies in there but it's made up mostly of vets (Machado, Hosmer, Hedges, Myers, Renfroe, Margot, Kinsler). In my opinion, they're just not very good. And we're stuck with a few of them (Machado, Hosmer, Myers).

I keep hearing that all they need to do is go out and get a front line starting pitcher. That will help but it's not going to solve the real problem. The real problem is that our offense is putrid.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

How do you explain how bad the offense was? There were some rookies in there but it's made up mostly of vets (Machado, Hosmer, Hedges, Myers, Renfroe, Margot, Kinsler). In my opinion, they're just not very good. And we're stuck with a few of them (Machado, Hosmer, Myers).

I keep hearing that all they need to do is go out and get a front line starting pitcher. That will help but it's not going to solve the real problem. The real problem is that our offense is putrid.
You have a point about the offense. There was a ton of dead weight like Kinsler, Myers, Hedges, guys they really needed out of there. The core vets are really two guys, Manny and Hosmer. They did have a potentially good tandem with Renfroe and Franmil and yes, that got blown up for no real reason by the GM.

But we have since learned that Green got a lot of leeway with the lineup card and with the personnel moves. Particularly that inconsistent lineup juggling night after night had to have some adverse affect on the team over the long haul. There should have been a set lineup, with Urias at 2B, Mejia at C, and Margot in CF with Renfroe and Franmil in the corner outfield spots. Sink or swim. I get that these days it’s all about metrics - the value I see in them is mostly on how to pitch each batter and where to place the fielders; those metrics work. Juggling the batting order every single night had to affect the lineup. This alone is plenty reason to blame Green for the last place season and to your point, the lack of offense.

Preller does have work to do on the roster but there are young guys that might be ready to come up. But his main task is to get his manager in here.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Your point about the amount of veteran hitters is a great one and one I never really thought of myself.

I have my doubts about the starting pitchers. They don't throw enough innings. I have a hard time believing their pitch counts will dramatically expand next year so we will likely be in the same boat, overly relying on the bullpen.