Padres 2019 game day thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Tired of watching guys whiff.

We don’t need pitching. We need hitting.
To tell ya the truth, I didn't watch and haven't for about a week now. Tatis going down is part of it but there just isnt any consistency or feeling this team is fighting as hard as possible , or is capable of fighting as hard as possible, for a WC spot. There is no momentum, ie finishing strong and beating upper echelon teams. You are right, we struggle against good pitchers. By the same token our own pitching is not deep enough either for starters or for the bullpen. I don't see how folks figure we are close. So what if we have potential in farm system? That's great and all but it's nothing until it produces results at the majors and that can take a lot of time other than for the freak athletes like Tatis which is rare. Just a couple of weeks ago the rumor was that Green had to compete for a WC or he's gone at the end of the year andthey were even considering ejecting the guy if they got swept by the Dodgers. He narrowly escaped that.

Wondering if the batting coach sucks. But that is on Green and the front office if so.

Disappointing season thus far and now that Tatis is gone even more so. Meh same ol' for this organization. Mediocre baseball at best. I hope it changes , there is optimism re: the farm system but that is simply potential until they start beating really good teams. Maybe next year. I hope there is a change at manager.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
To tell ya the truth, I didn't watch and haven't for about a week now. Tatis going down is part of it but there just isnt any consistency or feeling this team is fighting as hard as possible , or is capable of fighting as hard as possible, for a WC spot. There is no momentum, ie finishing strong and beating upper echelon teams. You are right, we struggle against good pitchers. By the same token our own pitching is not deep enough either for starters or for the bullpen. I don't see how folks figure we are close. So what if we have potential in farm system? That's great and all but it's nothing until it produces results at the majors and that can take a lot of time other than for the freak athletes like Tatis which is rare. Just a couple of weeks ago the rumor was that Green had to compete for a WC or he's gone at the end of the year andthey were even considering ejecting the guy if they got swept by the Dodgers. He narrowly escaped that.

Wondering if the batting coach sucks. But that is on Green and the front office if so.

Disappointing season thus far and now that Tatis is gone even more so. Meh same ol' for this organization. Mediocre baseball at best. I hope it changes , there is optimism re: the farm system but that is simply potential until they start beating really good teams. Maybe next year. I hope there is a change at manager.
IMO our pitching is going to be very strong. The young guys just need a little more time to develop, plus guys like Gore and Petino are on the way and they may add some veterans as well.

The hitting is definitely an issue. A lot of these guys are high paid vets. This should be the strength of our team but instead it's our weakness.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
IMO our pitching is going to be very strong. The young guys just need a little more time to develop, plus guys like Gore and Petino are on the way and they may add some veterans as well.

The hitting is definitely an issue. A lot of these guys are high paid vets. This should be the strength of our team but instead it's our weakness.
I hope you are right re: pitching....it will be a key factor in whether or not we compete and how soon we do that. I'll believe it when I see it happen, because many times the hype of the minors doesn't end up fully translating. In this case I think there is good reason to feel that it WILL translate and if we can move some current starters over to the bullpen all the better.

And agree, batting is an enigma. We aren't getting it done. That has to change. Batting coach? Manager? Players? Disappointing this year to say the least. We had the long ball there with Mole and Renfroe and Manny...that was fun. But we have to have the ability to move runners and be disciplined in doing so. Too many guys are swinging at bad pitches and striking out early in the count. Too many guys are failing to advance runners and are not being clutch.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Padres already down 3-0 to the Bosox after one inning. Paddack rocked in the 1st inning.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Now down 6-0, Paddack rocked for 3 more in the 2nd lolz.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
these uniforms are ridiculous lolz....

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
ridiculous uniforms, ridiculous game 11-0. Give it up....we suck.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
LMAO.....maybe that's the key to winning from now on. Hell, even Hitler got rickrolled:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Pads beat the Dodgers tonight 4-3. Yates shut them down in the 9th with some wicked backdoor sliders. Justin Turner ended the game looking at strike 3, and he assumed it was a ball and was livid when he saw the game was over.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Pads win tonight.
All well and good but they are .466. 24.5 games out of first. Next to last place. Do they still have a shot at a wild card and if so how many games out are they for that? I say if Green doesn't go .500 and contend for a wild card he should be gone. The front office allegedly expected to contend for a wild card. I stopped watching to tell you the truth...got completely bored.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
All well and good but they are .466. 24.5 games out of first. Next to last place. Do they still have a shot at a wild card and if so how many games out are they for that? I say if Green doesn't go .500 and contend for a wild card he should be gone. The front office allegedly expected to contend for a wild card. I stopped watching to tell you the truth...got completely bored.
Im watching so I can figure out who is worth keeping. I am up to ten guys that I would keep. The rest need to be replaced or just utility players or throw away pitchers.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Im watching so I can figure out who is worth keeping. I am up to ten guys that I would keep. The rest need to be replaced or just utility players or throw away pitchers.
that's cool, you are a great hardcore fan. I lost a lot of interest when Tatis went down. So who do you have currently as the 10 keepers? I'm sure most are pretty obvious but likely some are debatable and open to discussion on. I had a lot of faith early in the season that this year could be a sort of arrival in that we'd compete for the wild card. I don't see it right now and especially without Tatis. Just too many holes all around. But if it's true the farm system is primed to send up some special talent to replace the dead wood....maybe next year we can get all excited again.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
that's cool, you are a great hardcore fan. I lost a lot of interest when Tatis went down. So who do you have currently as the 10 keepers? I'm sure most are pretty obvious but likely some are debatable and open to discussion on. I had a lot of faith early in the season that this year could be a sort of arrival in that we'd compete for the wild card. I don't see it right now and especially without Tatis. Just too many holes all around. But if it's true the farm system is primed to send up some special talent to replace the dead wood....maybe next year we can get all excited again.
For sure
Tatis
Manny
Hosmer
Mejia
Paddock
Quantriall
Liamet
Yates
Couple of bull pen guys

Not sold but could be better
Margot
Lauer
Lecheeze

Utility
Renfroe
Garcia
Naylor

Got to go time has expired
Myers
Hedges
Rest of bullpen

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
They have 4 untouchables

Tatis
Manny
Hosmer
Paddock

Hard press but would be open

Yates
Quantraill
Liamet
Mejia

The rest could be moved and wouldn’t bother me at all.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They have 4 untouchables

Tatis
Manny
Hosmer
Paddock

Hard press but would be open

Yates
Quantraill
Liamet
Mejia

The rest could be moved and wouldn’t bother me at all.
Concur with the untouchables. Paddack is still wearing out and got really rocked badly I think against the Red Sox. So he has to continue the rehab and arrive at a full fledged shutdown pitcher. Outside of those guys I don't think anyone is safe necessarily. And when you have that few 'untouchable' players..it's almost like they aren't all that close. Hope they prove me wrong next year but from my perspective I think they are more like 3 years away than just one or even two. The hope would be that the farm system produces some really top notch guys in the Tatis stratosphere and then they use some to acquire key veterans. At least when Tatis is in there they are exciting to watch and it was a hell of a lot of fun there for the first half, and when we swept the Dodgers going into the all star break that really got things going. Then the bottom fell out.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Concur with the untouchables. Paddack is still wearing out and got really rocked badly I think against the Red Sox. So he has to continue the rehab and arrive at a full fledged shutdown pitcher. Outside of those guys I don't think anyone is safe necessarily. And when you have that few 'untouchable' players..it's almost like they aren't all that close. Hope they prove me wrong next year but from my perspective I think they are more like 3 years away than just one or even two. The hope would be that the farm system produces some really top notch guys in the Tatis stratosphere and then they use some to acquire key veterans. At least when Tatis is in there they are exciting to watch and it was a hell of a lot of fun there for the first half, and when we swept the Dodgers going into the all star break that really got things going. Then the bottom fell out.
I actually like Margot and was hoping he got
More at bats. I think he can be an everyday cf. they need to bring up trammel and let him play everyday.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Renfroe looked like the real deal then once they got rid of Franmil, he's been terrible.

This is the same old Renfroe year in and out. Flashes amazing potential then eventually winds up being around average.

I think you guys are giving up on a lot of the rookies way too quickly. Some of those guys can still develop into great players.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Renfroe looked like the real deal then once they got rid of Franmil, he's been terrible.

This is the same old Renfroe year in and out. Flashes amazing potential then eventually winds up being around average.

I think you guys are giving up on a lot of the rookies way too quickly. Some of those guys can still develop into great players.
maybe so, they need time, and that is what I'm trying to say......we aren't necessarily 1 year away, very possibly 3 years away. Who knows? It's frustratingly slow. And even then we don't know if those 'hot lava' prospects truly will develop into lockdown MLB allstar talent. We don't know. They tell us we have the best farm system in baseball. I'll believe it only when those prospects deliver us a division championship. Or alternatively are traded for veterans who deliver us a division championship. And even then, the best farm system should do MORE than a division championship...they should contend for the WS title.

I can still get excited about this team, I mean I thought we had a good shot at a WC at the all star break after what we did to the dodgers leading into that. But they collapsed.

I think they erred in giving up on Reyes. There's more to baseball then stats and sabremetrics .....what about 'chemistry'? What about the soul that guy brought to the team, the locker room, the fans???????? It's gone. And you are right, Renfroe , along with others, ended up worse off then before. I loved La Mole. Maybe he sucked after he left. So what? He fit in here. Sometimes you need characters. He's one of those. Now he's gone.

Reactions: TTK

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
They definitely erred trading Franmil when they did. There was no real reason to do so. The offseason was the time to look at possibilities. It seems like they settled on who they got. Renfroe - Margot - Reyes should’ve been the OF. We could’ve had two 40 HR guys.

Reactions: TTK

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Bochy was the talk of the town a month ago. Now his star has faded away.
He's still got a better record than Green, but that's not saying a damn thing as we know. Bochy is disgruntled with management at SF so maybe he just doesn't like the hand he was dealt there. Not sayin he shouldn't do better with the roster he has but remember likely much of it isn't his doing. And who knows how much pressure the a holes in the front office there are putting on him to play certain players he doesn't want to play? We aren't privvy to that, Boch would never bad mouth or throw under the bus someone else. Anyone but Green next year unless he somehow pulls a rabbit out of the hat and does a 180 and vies for a WC. Don't see it happening. He's underachieved badly this year. And I'm still pizzed about Reyes being gone. You don't blow up chemistry like that. At least leave him til the offseason minimum. If the kid they traded for doesn't turn into a gem of a prospect and reap big rewards they screwed themselves again.

But you may be right Boch isn't the guy to replace Green. But it better be someone else if what we are seeing continues. .471 and sniffing the cellar constantly. Can't surpass the crappy SF or AZ.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
You know, ever since Franmil got traded, it seems like this team can't hit HRs anymore.

That was the one thing the offense had going for them. The way they're hitting now is pathetic.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
You know, ever since Franmil got traded, it seems like this team can't hit HRs anymore.

That was the one thing the offense had going for them. The way they're hitting now is pathetic.
Specifically, Renfroe has cooled off. They were like yin and yang, they had that friendly little competition going. Badly misjudged move made by the GM. And I saw on twitter that a bunch of Padres fans went to Anaheim tonight to see Franmil and the Indians. On a home game night.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Specifically, Renfroe has cooled off. They were like yin and yang, they had that friendly little competition going. Badly misjudged move made by the GM. And I saw on twitter that a bunch of Padres fans went to Anaheim tonight to see Franmil and the Indians. On a home game night.
That a bunch of Padre fans went up to pay tribute to Franmil in Anaheim on a home game night speaks volumes. Total eff up by this team's management. You do NOT trade away fan favorites like that. And I think it's no accident the team batting has cooled off. He wasn't just a fan favorite but also a player favorite. Dumbass move.

I haven't been paying any attention since that and the loss of Tatis to injury. How are we doing since Franmil left in the W-L column and in the standings? And how is Franmil's average now. I know initially for about a month he was suckage. But even IF he's not doing what he was here, it's likely because of chemistry. Being happy is sort of important wouldn't one think? Is there a happiness or chemisry statistic that sabremetrics has I don't know about? do greenjeans and preller use that statistic too just like all the others? WTF man. Eff it. I want my Mole back. That night he sang to the crowd was magical. Now look, fans are choosing to drive to OC instead of going to a home game. lolz. Way to go Padres.