Padres 2019 game day thread

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
caught it right in the web as his mitt was trailing backwards,,,,,wonder what his vertical leap was? timing was unreal. won't see that very often, almost never.
They put a graphic on the broadcast that measured 10ft 3in I believe.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They put a graphic on the broadcast that measured 10ft 3in I believe.
Not sure what his height is but no matter what that is pretty incredible.........add to that the crucial timing element.....approaches the impossible play.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Hey, we are up 4-3......Steamin' is warming up in the bullpen!;):D

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Steamin' gave up a run on a throwing error 4-4

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Nice bullpen tonite.....BYE-ez did a great job lolz.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
They really need to do something about the hitting coach. It's unacceptable that our guys strike out this much.

The only player I think we have that has a good eye and patience is Garcia and he learned that from the Cardinals. All the home grown guys are terrible at it.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
And the reason I keep harping on the hitting is because I think our lineup is going to be very similar next year. Tatis, Machado, Renfroe and Hosmer are guaranteed and most likely Urias and Mejia. Myers is the big question mark and Margot seems to have earned his spot but that's 7-8 spots in the lineup that are pretty much set. If they keep striking out like this and continue to struggle scoring without homeruns (though they've been better at that lately), this team isn't going to go anywhere.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
And the reason I keep harping on the hitting is because I think our lineup is going to be very similar next year. Tatis, Machado, Renfroe and Hosmer are guaranteed and most likely Urias and Mejia. Myers is the big question mark and Margot seems to have earned his spot but that's 7-8 spots in the lineup that are pretty much set. If they keep striking out like this and continue to struggle scoring without homeruns (though they've been better at that lately), this team isn't going to go anywhere.
I hope they eat Myers contract. They have to.

If they can’t move him with Yates then he has to go. Period.

We will not contend if Myers is starting.

The only guarantees I see are Tatis, hosmer and machado.

They need to improve on the rest.

I prefer Margot over renfroe.

But yes, they need major upgrades and it’s not coming from the minors concerning hitting.

Historical the padres have been downright terrible as an organization developing hitters. Can’t blame the hitting coach every year. It’s an entire organizational failure.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I hope they eat Myers contract. They have to.

If they can’t move him with Yates then he has to go. Period.

We will not contend if Myers is starting.

The only guarantees I see are Tatis, hosmer and machado.

They need to improve on the rest.

I prefer Margot over renfroe.

But yes, they need major upgrades and it’s not coming from the minors concerning hitting.

Historical the padres have been downright terrible as an organization developing hitters. Can’t blame the hitting coach every year. It’s an entire organizational failure.
Yeah, they keep firing the hitting coach every year it seems like. I'm not sure how they fix this problem.

I don't think Tatis, Hosmer and Machado are the only guarantees. By trading Franmil, they've commited to Renfroe. I think Mejia, Margot and Urias are most likely going to be our starters next year. Mejia has been on fire since being called up again. Margot is the best outfielder right now since Renfroe is slumping and Urias has been playing better as of late and they seem really committed to him. But who do they have to replace some of these guys anyway? The big prospects that are coming up soon will mainly be pitchers.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Myers is going to be a Padre, we probably need to accept that reality. The only way he gets moved is a contender needs his bat and he’s actually performing well offensively. If we’re contending and he’s hitting well I doubt they trade him. He will be a roadblock to signing another big name but it is what it is. We have other assets to trade to acquire help should we need it next year.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
yup.....save all the arms for next year....bring up the lava and start em and see who is ready and who is not. This year is done.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Let's keep it rolling into the big weekend homestand. If we can sweep the reds, then that Redsox and LA series will will be huge. Make a little noise in the wildcard chase.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Tatis goes down and the Pads start winning. Go figure...
maybe the other players were standing around and distracted in awe of watching all the spectular plays lolz.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Let's keep it rolling into the big weekend homestand. If we can sweep the reds, then that Redsox and LA series will will be huge. Make a little noise in the wildcard chase.
ANDYGREEN4LIFE! :D

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Without tatis, the lineup sucks.

Not sold on naylor Urias or hedges.

I would pursue bats this offseason.

3-1 reds 7 inning

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Without tatis, the lineup sucks.

Not sold on naylor Urias or hedges.

I would pursue bats this offseason.

3-1 reds 7 inning
Hedges will never be able to hit. He's a great backup/platoon guy to have.

Urias is actually playing pretty well now. Naylor seems very inconsistent. Sometimes good, sometimes awful.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Pads lose another one today 4-2.