Owners vote to start the season

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Based on the March 2020 terms before the shutdown.

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
The player want to be partners with the owners. That is until it counts. They want to be partners with no skin in the game, just pay me my millions, which must be guaranteed, so I get paid regardless if I play or not. And do not try and make me take less because of something stupid like a pandemic, pay me my damn money.

They are all a bunch of spoiled brats.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Concudan, with his Freudian slip, has improved the English language. No sking, no millions. My sking is Arizona bronze right now and heading right toward being leather sking. Did you know the sking is the largest organ the body has? That's why we call it the sking.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
60 game season is lame. Should have just waited until next year.
Universal DH, you should be happy. :)

Also, extra innings will start with a runner on second base. Wonder how that will work? You put a player in, they have to stay in or they’re used up for the game. They will be expanding rosters, but not sure how many will be active on game day.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007

Also, extra innings will start with a runner on second base. Wonder how that will work? You put a player in, they have to stay in or they’re used up for the game. They will be expanding rosters, but not sure how many will be active on game day.

Too bad Franmil isn't still here. :(

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Yuck.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Looks like we’ll see Gore up in the bigs this year.

3. Padres
A shortened season is perfect for a team loaded with young arms, because managing the workloads will be simpler. So the Padres can mix and match MacKenzie Gore, Luis Patiño and Adrian Morejonto a group that will welcome former Angels ace Garrett Richards, who is returning from Tommy John surgery. With the addition of Tommy Pham to the middle of the lineup and potentially a full season from Fernando Tatis Jr., the Padres could be both entertaining and competitive.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Looks like we’ll see Gore up in the bigs this year.

3. Padres
A shortened season is perfect for a team loaded with young arms, because managing the workloads will be simpler. So the Padres can mix and match MacKenzie Gore, Luis Patiño and Adrian Morejonto a group that will welcome former Angels ace Garrett Richards, who is returning from Tommy John surgery. With the addition of Tommy Pham to the middle of the lineup and potentially a full season from Fernando Tatis Jr., the Padres could be both entertaining and competitive.
just our luck we win the 60 game WS and forever more have an * next to our only title. LOL. Of course I guess it would be better than nothing. But who is gonna go celebrate downtown and catch covid???? man o man....unchartered times. Will be glad when this virus is no longer a factor in anything. Then maybe, just maybe we can get back to living again.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
just our luck we win the 60 game WS and forever more have an * next to our only title. LOL. Of course I guess it would be better than nothing. But who is gonna go celebrate downtown and catch covid???? man o man....unchartered times. Will be glad when this virus is no longer a factor in anything. Then maybe, just maybe we can get back to living again.
I’d take that championship. No different than SDSU going in as a 64 seed and winning the NCAA.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I’d take that championship. No different than SDSU going in as a 64 seed and winning the NCAA.
I dont see how it's no different.....I mean if we went in as the worst wildcard in history with a marginal record, that could be equivalent. But they will always put an asterisk on a shortened season. Kind of like the strike shortened season way back where you had scabs playing. Well at least this is all the first stingers. However one looks at it, I think you are correct I'd take that championship and it would be sweeeeeeet. I mean just that fact SD has never won a major ANYTHING would be a hell of a nice feeling. So bring it on. I just hope they know what the hell they are doing preventing these guys from getting covid and then infecting the whole league.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I dont see how it's no different.....I mean if we went in as the worst wildcard in history with a marginal record, that could be equivalent. But they will always put an asterisk on a shortened season. Kind of like the strike shortened season way back where you had scabs playing. Well at least this is all the first stingers. However one looks at it, I think you are correct I'd take that championship and it would be sweeeeeeet. I mean just that fact SD has never won a major ANYTHING would be a hell of a nice feeling. So bring it on. I just hope they know what the hell they are doing preventing these guys from getting covid and then infecting the whole league.
The thing that makes most of this probably moot is we have an unproven sycophant manager and huge question marks defensively at 2B, CF and C, right up the middle and that’s bad news. Couple with both Manny and Hosmer forgetting how to hit and I’m not holding my breath. If we had Bochy I’d think he’d know how to juggle this lineup to contend, but Tingler or whatever his name is, I have very low confidence he can handle a clubhouse that has Manny, Hosmer, Myers, Pham, and Yates, all strong personalities.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The thing that makes most of this probably moot is we have an unproven sycophant manager and huge question marks defensively at 2B, CF and C, right up the middle and that’s bad news. Couple with both Manny and Hosmer forgetting how to hit and I’m not holding my breath. If we had Bochy I’d think he’d know how to juggle this lineup to contend, but Tingler or whatever his name is, I have very low confidence he can handle a clubhouse that has Manny, Hosmer, Myers, Pham, and Yates, all strong personalities.
Manny wasn't much worse last year than he was before we got him. Nobody will ever be worth what we pay him, but, as long as he is around, we have a really good third baseman who pitchers fear. Whoever is batting in front of Manny will benefit, so we can consider Machado two players in one. Hosmer, however, has been the Austin Hedges of first basemen ever since we got him. Even if he were as good as he was before he was a Padre, he still would be a weird signing. It is nice having a sweet-fielding first baseman, but I would rather have an offensive player at that position. It isn't like he is a catcher or shortstop, positions where it might be okay to have a mediocre hitter. I am not sure what Preller was thinking when signing him.

Here is my main concern on offense: the health of Tatis. On the field, that guy is as good as it gets. Defense. Speed. Hitting. And, I am assuming power is going to be a big factor as he gets older. He is the difference between us being wildcard contenders and us remaining in the cellar.

The other concern is pitching. Those starters need to be able to throw 7 innings minimum, or we need to start paying them like middle relievers. We can't continue to burn out our bullpen 30 games into the season every year.

The overarching concern continues to be the team's vision and ability to stick to a plan. I don't want to see a new outfield every day while our prospects, who could otherwise be getting loads of playing time in the minors, share Major League time with 7 other players. Nobody wins that way. We need to decide who our starters are and stick with them. Prospects need to be playing almost every game, whether that is as a Padre or a Sod Poodle. Half-ass Preller decisions have been killing us.

Last edited:

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Manny wasn't much worse last year than he was before we got him. Nobody will ever be worth what we pay him, but, as long as he is around, we have a really good third baseman who pitchers fear. Whoever is batting in front of Manny will benefit, so we can consider Machado two players in one. Hosmer, however, has been the Austin Hedges of first basemen ever since we got him. Even if he were as good as he was before he was a Padre, he still would be a weird signing. It is nice having a sweet-fielding first baseman, but I would rather have an offensive player at that position. It isn't like he is a catcher or shortstop, positions where it might be okay to have a mediocre hitter. I am not sure what Preller was thinking when signing him.

Here is my main concern on offense: the health of Tatis. On the field, that guy is as good as it gets. Defense. Speed. Hitting. And, I am assuming power is going to be a big factor as he gets older. He is the difference between us being wildcard contenders and us remaining in the cellar.

The other concern is pitching. Those starters need to be able to throw 7 innings minimum, or we need to start paying them like middle relievers. We can't continue to burn out our bullpen 30 games into the season every year.

The overarching concern continues to be the team's vision and ability to stick to a plan. I don't want to see a new outfield every day while our prospects, who could otherwise be getting loads of playing time in the minors, share Major League time with 7 other players. Nobody wins that way. We need to decide who our starters are and stick with them. Prospects need to be playing almost every game, whether that is as a Padre or a Sod Poodle. Half-ass Preller decisions have been killing us.
The way they explained using the pitchers last year, most of them are off the pitch counts now. The exceptions being the rookies like Gore.

I think we all debated the rotating roster thing last year. That's just the way baseball does things in general now.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The way they explained using the pitchers last year, most of them are off the pitch counts now. The exceptions being the rookies like Gore.

I think we all debated the rotating roster thing last year. That's just the way baseball does things in general now.
Agreed. This season is in essence like an extended playoff. The teams that will be successful will be the ones that have managers who know how to handle pitching in the short term. That’s why we really missed the boat not hiring Bochy.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Agreed. This season is in essence like an extended playoff. The teams that will be successful will be the ones that have managers who know how to handle pitching in the short term. That’s why we really missed the boat not hiring Bochy.
Boch!