Our biggest problem: Red-zone defense.

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
Back in '04, when no one thought our defense was "elite," there was one thing we did very well defensively. We gave up a lot of passing yards, but we were also very good at holding opposing teams to field goals when they got deep on us. That's huge, because you can't suffocate every offense and force them to go 3-and-out on a week-to-week basis. But you CAN play solid red-zone defense and force them to settle for field goals half the time they get deep on you.

This year we have not been holding anyone. With the exception of the turnover by the Ravens at our 1 yard line, it seems like getting inside our 25 is a sure TD for the opposing offense. This is something that has to be fixed. If we hold KC to 2 field goals and 2 TD's, instead of letting them have 4 TD's, we win this game today. But we couldn't do that, and it's starting to become a pattern.

And can someone explain to me why every punter we face looks like Ray Guy and every kicker we face looks like Adam Vinatieri?
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
Thunderstruck said:
Back in '04, when no one thought our defense was "elite," there was one thing we did very well defensively. We gave up a lot of passing yards, but we were also very good at holding opposing teams to field goals when they got deep on us. That's huge, because you can't suffocate every offense and force them to go 3-and-out on a week-to-week basis. But you CAN play solid red-zone defense and force them to settle for field goals half the time they get deep on you.

This year we have not been holding anyone. With the exception of the turnover by the Ravens at our 1 yard line, it seems like getting inside our 25 is a sure TD for the opposing offense. This is something that has to be fixed. If we hold KC to 2 field goals and 2 TD's, instead of letting them have 4 TD's, we win this game today. But we couldn't do that, and it's starting to become a pattern.

And can someone explain to me why every punter we face looks like Ray Guy and every kicker we face looks like Adam Vinatieri?
Our biggest problem is our d-backfield can't cover a grandma in a wheel chair. Terrible coaching. We've got very good athletes now. But thier not picking up recievers. And this has been going on for years with the same coach. I'm kind of thinking they go hand in hand.
 

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
foober said:
Our biggest problem is our d-backfield can't cover a grandma in a wheel chair. Terrible coaching. We've got very good athletes now. But thier not picking up recievers. And this has been going on for years with the same coach. I'm kind of thinking they go hand in hand.
We had the same coaches and many of the same players in the secondary when we were solid in 2004. What changed? Why is it we suddenly can not keep anyone out of the end-zone?

We were the 31st ranked passing defense in 2004, but we held teams to field goals. What changed?
 

O'reilly

Well-Known Member
Aug 29, 2005
1,421
408
230
Thunderstruck said:
Back in '04, when no one thought our defense was "elite," there was one thing we did very well defensively. We gave up a lot of passing yards, but we were also very good at holding opposing teams to field goals when they got deep on us. That's huge, because you can't suffocate every offense and force them to go 3-and-out on a week-to-week basis. But you CAN play solid red-zone defense and force them to settle for field goals half the time they get deep on you.

This year we have not been holding anyone. With the exception of the turnover by the Ravens at our 1 yard line, it seems like getting inside our 25 is a sure TD for the opposing offense. This is something that has to be fixed. If we hold KC to 2 field goals and 2 TD's, instead of letting them have 4 TD's, we win this game today. But we couldn't do that, and it's starting to become a pattern.

And can someone explain to me why every punter we face looks like Ray Guy and every kicker we face looks like Adam Vinatieri?
Going into today's game, we were 28th in redzone scoring...it only got worse today...
It seems if we do not get to the QB, things don't go well...again...
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2005
8,654
807
350
49
www.boltsplanet.com
Tony G. was catching passes on us all day, and rarely did I see him double-covered.

On those last two sustained drives by KC, Tony G. was often either single-covered partially by Kiel or left alone.

He's still their best receiver in terms of reliability and sheer determination. How is he not double-covered the entire game?
 

O'reilly

Well-Known Member
Aug 29, 2005
1,421
408
230
WonderSlug said:
Tony G. was catching passes on us all day, and rarely did I see him double-covered.

On those last two sustained drives by KC, Tony G. was often either single-covered partially by Kiel or left alone.

He's still their best receiver in terms of reliability and sheer determination. How is he not double-covered the entire game?
Even worse was the tackling...Gonzo and LJ must have carried and dragged Charger defenders for 100 yards total in that game...
:no:
Worst tackling I have seen in many years....Elite defenses don't tackle like that...how embarrassing...:icon_eek:
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2005
8,654
807
350
49
www.boltsplanet.com
O'reilly said:
Even worse was the tackling...Gonzo and LJ must have carried and dragged Charger defenders for 100 yards total in that game...
:no:
Worst tackling I have seen in many years....Elite defenses don't tackle like that...how embarrassing...:icon_eek:
Yup.

Both our defense and Chicago's were exposed and taken down a notch from their lofty status. It's just our D can't score points like the Bears can.
 

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
O'reilly said:
Even worse was the tackling...Gonzo and LJ must have carried and dragged Charger defenders for 100 yards total in that game...
:no:
Worst tackling I have seen in many years....Elite defenses don't tackle like that...how embarrassing...:icon_eek:
I saw several defenders going for the strip and forgetting about the tackle, especially on two of the catches by TG.

I mean, it's good to go for the strip, but you do it after the defender is stood up, not as he's continuing to stumble forward for and extra ten or fifteen yards.
 

foober

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2006
2,943
199
270
66
Thunderstruck said:
We had the same coaches and many of the same players in the secondary when we were solid in 2004. What changed? Why is it we suddenly can not keep anyone out of the end-zone?

We were the 31st ranked passing defense in 2004, but we held teams to field goals. What changed?
Just what you said. The d-backfield stunk then and it stinks now. With an upgrade big time with the players. Same d-back coach. I think theres a connection.:yes:
 

ColdBlooded

BoltTalker
Oct 20, 2006
668
8
140
33
Yes we need to wrap up and make tackles, especially on the big runners. Another observation I had was that we are very soft over the middle, we need some ball hawking safety to start picking off those passes our linebackers suck at coverage, except for Donnie.
 

O'reilly

Well-Known Member
Aug 29, 2005
1,421
408
230
WonderSlug said:
It's just our D can't score points like the Bears can.
Yup...that is what separates good defenses from Elite defenses...:yes:
 

O'reilly

Well-Known Member
Aug 29, 2005
1,421
408
230
Thunderstruck said:
I saw several defenders going for the strip and forgetting about the tackle, especially on two of the catches by TG.

I mean, it's good to go for the strip, but you do it after the defender is stood up, not as he's continuing to stumble forward for and extra ten or fifteen yards.
Gonzo went 20 yards with 4 Chargers on his back...shameful...:no:
 

goboilers

BoltTalker
Jun 29, 2006
1,059
39
180
40
O'reilly said:
Gonzo went 20 yards with 4 Chargers on his back...shameful...:no:
we r a finnese team - we cant play smashmouth. we cant act smashmouth. our running game, our defense... it sickens me that we get manhandled all the time.
 

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
goboilers said:
we r a finnese team - we cant play smashmouth. we cant act smashmouth. our running game, our defense... it sickens me that we get manhandled all the time.
Then we shoudn't TRY to play smashmouth. That's my point when I criticize the coaching staff for coming out forcing the ball to LT in the first quarter. Make some plays down the field, use LT as a decoy, and then LT will make things happen as the defense adjusts. We saw it in the second-half when the Chiefs were adjusting to stop Gates and trying to pressure PR to keep him from killing them through the air.

The Patriots have never been a "smashmouth" team and they've won three superbowls. You play to your strengths. That's how you win.
 

O'reilly

Well-Known Member
Aug 29, 2005
1,421
408
230
Thunderstruck said:
Then we shoudn't TRY to play smashmouth. That's my point when I criticize the coaching staff for coming out forcing the ball to LT in the first quarter. Make some plays down the field, use LT as a decoy, and then LT will make things happen as the defense adjusts. We saw it in the second-half when the Chiefs were adjusting to stop Gates and trying to pressure PR to keep him from killing them through the air.

The Patriots have never been a "smashmouth" team and they've won three superbowls. You play to your strengths. That's how you win.
Exactly...I did not notice a single play action in the 1st half even though the Chiefs were selling out to stop LT...just a bunch of crappy screens and draws...It took till the 2nd half for Morty to adjust :no:
 

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
13,031
1,810
350
46
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
boltssbbound said:
Our biggest problems: red zone defense and 2 minute defense.
Agreed. We are not aggressive enough inside the 20. All we're doing is playing a "soft" zone, and teams are throwing all that underneath stuff.

And our 2 minute swiss cheese defense sucks. There should be no reason why Damon Huard should look like Joh Elway with 30 secs left. :no:
 

Ride The Lightning

Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.
Aug 15, 2006
10,732
1,290
350
46
Chula Vista, CA
www.oceandivide.info
Lots of great points made, especially the "we are a finesse team" one by goboilers.

Here is our TRUE biggest problem:



Too stubborn to change, he would rather LOSE trying to impose his will on his own team and the opponent than to play to his teams strengths. Takes it to terrible teams, but cannot win the close games. I'm not blaming today's loss on Marty, but IMO he is a big reason why we lost. RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN when they are stacked. We constntly run on 1st down. if it's Cam's fault then its Marty's job to smack him upside the head. I'm not blaming Martyball at all, the 3 1st half turnover killed us, but wacthing Tomlinson running right into a 9 man front still makes my blood boil.
 

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
13,031
1,810
350
46
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Ride The Lightning said:
Lots of great points made, especially the "we are a finesse team" one by goboilers.

Here is our TRUE biggest problem:



Too stubborn to change, he would rather LOSE trying to impose his will on his own team and the opponent than to play to his teams strengths. Takes it to terrible teams, but cannot win the close games. I'm not blaming today's loss on Marty, but IMO he is a big reason why we lost. RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN when they are stacked. We constntly run on 1st down. if it's Cam's fault then its Marty's job to smack him upside the head. I'm not blaming Martyball at all, the 3 1st half turnover killed us, but wacthing Tomlinson running right into a 9 man front still makes my blood boil.
Our true biggest problem is the Chargers.com blog? :icon_rofl:

Man I hate that they don't allow hotlinking to their photos anymore. What's up with that?
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,915
1,825
350
San Diego, CA
ChargerRay said:
Our true biggest problem is the Chargers.com blog? :icon_rofl:

Man I hate that they don't allow hotlinking to their photos anymore. What's up with that?
I always thought we were their biggest problem eh Ray? :icon_tease:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Carrie1219

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
13,031
1,810
350
46
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
We've been a strong 2nd half team, and what ever Marty said at halftime helped the team get back into the game.

This loss was not Marty's fault. Give KC some credit. They we're embarrased the week before and came out strong on defense for this one.

Don't worry we'll get our revenge on them here in SD. :yes: