1. Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities for the sports fans. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Luck named commissioner and CEO of XFL

Discussion in 'American Football' started by SDRay, Jun 7, 2018.

1. SDRay

SDRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,317
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23702411/oliver-luck-commissioner-ceo-xfl

Oliver Luck will become the first commissioner and chief executive officer of the XFL, it was announced Tuesday.

"The XFL will be a labor of love as I get to combine my experiences as a player and executive," Luck told ESPN in an email. "I'm thrilled to have this unique opportunity to reimagine the game that has been a constant in my life for 40 years."

Luck will leave his leadership role at the NCAA, where he oversaw the organization's regulatory functions, including eligibility requirements and academic affairs, and the eligibility center.

"I always felt there was an opportunity for another pro league as long as it had the key ingredients, and I found all those ingredients present in the new XFL," Luck told ESPN's Darren Rovell on Tuesday. "There was the leadership and vision from Vince [McMahon] who is a tremendous entrepreneur with a solid track record and there is a potential to have good quality football if it is well capitalized, which of course it is."

He will relocate from Indianapolis, where his son Andrew Luck is the quarterback for the Colts, to the XFL's headquarters in Connecticut as he prepares for the league's launch in 2020.

"Oliver and I share the same vision and passion for reimagining the game of football," McMahon, the XFL's founder and chairman, said in a statement. "His experience as both an athlete and executive will ensure the long-term success of the XFL."

McMahon and NBC first launched the XFL in 2001, but it lasted just one season. Luck believes this new incarnation, announced by McMahon in January, will be built to last.

"We're focused on what we think is a solid business plan with a solid runway and a solid timeline," he told ESPN. "Our ultimate goal is to make this all work having high quality football by 2020 and that remains paramount.

"Everything is going to be different [than 2001]."

Luck previously served as the president of NFL Europe and as the chief executive officer of the Houston Sports Authority, which helped bring the Texans to Houston as an NFL expansion team in 2002.

He also played quarterback for the Houston Oilers and at West Virginia University, where he was inducted into the Mountaineers' Hall of Fame and later spent four years as athletic director. He also served on the College Football Playoff selection committee in 2014.

2. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,068
    XFL said they have 30 cities in mind. This means you can gamble on the Lubbock Texas Turtles vs. the Eureka Emoticons. All I want is Al Bundy to get a Head Coaching job. And a fat lady as his Defensive Coordinator. :inlove:.

3. SDRay

SDRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,317
    I think the AAF win in the battle of spring football since they are a year ahead. Wouldn't be surprised if the XFL doesn't launch or proposes to merge with the AAF.

XFL though could offer more $$.

4. TTK

TTK EX-Charger Fan

Ratings:
    +806
    The talent pool is going to be getting real thin with both of these new leagues. Even the NFL has a bunch of scrubs playing in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +726
    We’re talking Vince McMahon here but if he were smart he’d find a way to partner with the AAFC. Together they might find a way to actually challenge the NFL.

6. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    The two leagues should match up their champions at the end of each season. It would be their Super Bowl that they could hype up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,068
    McMahon can't stay long on one thing and he is constantly 'adjusting'(firing) his wrestling talent.
    And his Trump ties will eventually put off players.

So far the AAF seems to have more stable financing and planning.

8. captaind

captaind Resist the Dark Side — Join the Alliance

Ratings:
    +247
    Was just talking about this yesterday. It’s a concern for the AAF as well. Some high school teams are folding because they can’t fill the rosters anymore. XFL is just wasting $$ unless they’re going to really redefine the game — like going back to leather helmets or something drastic. Anyone can see down the line that kids are picking other sports.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +726
    What a great idea!

• Like Like x 1
  10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Official Hater

Ratings:
    +924
    I have been to Lubbock and never saw a turtle. :D That place is empty when school (Texas Tech) is out so good luck filling a row.

11. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,068
    Okay, Tustin Truck Turtles. Where's the Corona been?

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Official Hater

Ratings:
    +924
    I was just out your way last week to cool off from the heat. The only Chargers gear that I saw was on a homeless guy. Even he looked embarrassed to be wearing it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. FiftyFive

FiftyFive Dean Spanos is a traitor!

Ratings:
    +339
    I know everyone's excited about the AAF's San Diego team, and I am as well. But I hope the XFL also puts a team in San Diego. The more, the merrier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,068
    I hope the XFL puts one in Los Angeles, that will drop the Dolts down yet another slot. Assuming they can hang on the their current ninth position.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +726
    Is the XFL a fall league or spring league? If it’s the latter there may be an issue with using The Q as the home stadium.

16. SDRay

Ratings:
    +2,317
    With the AAF taking 8 markets. I do see the XFL going to the remaing large media markets. NY, LA (already has a bazillion teams but whatever)

17. SDRay

Ratings:
    +2,317
  18. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,068
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    Not if all the Hulkamaniacs and ancient warriors have something to say about it.

20. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,068
    I prefer the days before the steroids, and social issues were addressed. :geek:

Best quote of all time to me, was Freddie Blassie about an opponent, “You say Hello to him and he's stuck for an answer.”

• Like Like x 1
  21. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    That was back when Rassling still pretended it was legit, kind of like the NFL does now.

22. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +1,068
    Good analogy. Seems today in the NFL, you can predict the plays, the penalties, even the 'knowledge' that this team with 1:09 left will score again, and this one( ....), with 1:59 left won't get a first down.

• Like Like x 1