Official week 9 GDT

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
This is the first game the Chargers looked like an NFL team. I never would have expected them to win today...

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
This is the first game the Chargers looked like an NFL team. I never would have expected them to win today...
So predictable. Start off terrible as always, make a late run, get hopeshigh, then fall short and ruin their draft order in the process.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So predictable. Start off terrible as always, make a late run, get hopeshigh, then fall short and ruin their draft order in the process.
They are getting guys back who were injured......Ingram was out with a hammy and having he and Bosa together makes that D. They also got back Okung and Henry on the offense. When they get back James and Phillips on the D they will be formidable as last year. They played today like they were desperate and had something to prove. Credit the coach to get them motivated. Pack came off an emotional win over the Chefs and were going thru the motions....zero motivation until the 4th qtr.
The Rodgers-Lafleur honeymoon may be over after this horrendous showing. They had no adjustment or ability to stop that relentless pass rush.....almost like they weren't prepared and didn't watch old film from last year. Stupid. And the Pettine D is questionable IMO. They can bring the pass rush but if they don't get the pressure the back end is prone to giving up big plays.
Pack might be the best of that NFC North but once the playoffs start they won't likely go far unless they make corrections to the issues they have. Niners are going to kill them when they play soon in SF.
Effing frustrating loss for my Pack today. Bad day for the haters. lolz.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
They are getting guys back who were injured......Ingram was out with a hammy and having he and Bosa together makes that D. They also got back Okung and Henry on the offense. When they get back James and Phillips on the D they will be formidable as last year. They played today like they were desperate and had something to prove. Credit the coach to get them motivated. Pack came off an emotional win over the Chefs and were going thru the motions....zero motivation until the 4th qtr.
The Rodgers-Lafleur honeymoon may be over after this horrendous showing. They had no adjustment or ability to stop that relentless pass rush.....almost like they weren't prepared and didn't watch old film from last year. Stupid. And the Pettine D is questionable IMO. They can bring the pass rush but if they don't get the pressure the back end is prone to giving up big plays.
Pack might be the best of that NFC North but once the playoffs start they won't likely go far unless they make corrections to the issues they have. Niners are going to kill them when they play soon in SF.
Effing frustrating loss for my Pack today. Bad day for the haters. lolz.
8-8 or 9-7 without a playoff berth is how I want team spanos to finish every year.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
8-8 or 9-7 without a playoff berth is how I want team spanos to finish every year.
Same here. That is the hope for us haters. lolz. Hope they just miss out by a game, that would be perfect!
WAIT!!! On second thought....hope they just miss out on the basis of a tie breaker, that would be even more perfect! lolz.

Scott the Rock

BoltTalker
Oct 19, 2008
San Jose (Raider country)
www.facebook.com
I didn't see anything as I'm pretty much done with watching full NFL games. Plus, driving around.
But I saw the Chiefs won. That's good.
Raiders and Broncos up, 4th quarter. I have lost any emotional interest, other than hoping Deano get the draino from LA.
Hes done watching games but will take time to post in a forum about them. LOL

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
You don't understand why ex San Diego Spanos fans don't watch much NFL anymore but still get on the Internet to jeer Spanos and the League? Or are you just playing stupid?
stupid may be in the eyes of the beholder.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

There's a crowd shot included in this article, it looks like "Lambeau West"!
“Here’s guessing NFL owners will give the Chargers a couple of years in SoFi Stadium to find their fans. If they don’t, and at this point there’s no reason to believe they will, here’s guessing the league will push the Spanos family to either move the team or sell it. They could ship it to London. They could drive it to the Bay Area. They could sell it to someone in — woo-hoo! — San Diego.

Anywhere but here.”

That last line applies to San Diego too.

Spenis will never sell no matter what pressure the eunuch NFL owners and especially their spineless commissioner puts on Spanus.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
“Here’s guessing NFL owners will give the Chargers a couple of years in SoFi Stadium to find their fans. If they don’t, and at this point there’s no reason to believe they will, here’s guessing the league will push the Spanos family to either move the team or sell it. They could ship it to London. They could drive it to the Bay Area. They could sell it to someone in — woo-hoo! — San Diego.

Anywhere but here.”

That last line applies to San Diego too.

Spenis will never sell no matter what pressure the eunuch NFL owners and especially their spineless commissioner puts on Spanus.
I believe that San Diego would gladly welcome the Chargers back tomorrow, just not with anyone named Spanos attached.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I believe that San Diego would gladly welcome the Chargers back tomorrow, just not with anyone named Spanos attached.
yeah they'd be welcomed back as long as spanos is out of the picture. Too much bad blood created in the departure, was done with zero regard for the SD fans who supported that team for so many years.

• Wow
Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Raiders vs Team Spanos in the Black Hole this Thursday
Hope the Raiders win but am afraid they are gonna get their asses kicked in if they can't stop that defensive rush. Hopefully they have a better plan that the Packers did and are motivated more. Doubt it.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Rodgers Rips Packer's Road Focus:

CARSON, Calif. (AP) — There's a saying around the NBA about visiting teams that play terribly at Staples Center after spending the previous evening out enjoying Hollywood's innumerable pleasures for young millionaires.

LA nightlife is undefeated.

Aaron Rodgers wouldn't go so far as to say explicitly that the young Green Bay Packers enjoyed too much of the good life during their weekend on the coast. But the 35-year-old superstar said something was very wrong with the Packers' preparation before their 26-11 thrashing from the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday.

"We've got to be honest with our routine and the decisions we made in the last 48 hours, and make sure that our head is in the right place the next time we come on a big road trip," Rodgers said.

The Packers fell to 7-2 when their four-game winning streak ended in embarrassing fashion. Green Bay managed 184 total yards — nearly 200 below its season average — while yielding 442 yards to the Bolts, who blew out the NFC North leaders with shocking comprehensiveness.

"I don't think it was complacency at all," Rodgers said. "I just think whether it was the trip, not everybody taking care of themselves the right way over the two days, or we were just tired, or the differences in temperature. But those are just excuses, and the facts are that we just weren't locked in from the start, and that's a little disappointing."

Rodgers went back to mention his offense's poor preparation and the possible reasons for it several times during his postgame news conference. The oldest player on the Green Bay offense appeared to be highlighting a message he had already sent to his younger teammates in private about professionalism.

"This was a good slice of humble pie for us," Rodgers said. "We're kind of rolling, 7-1, and starting to listen to the chatter maybe a little too much. I think this will be a good thing for us."

Other veteran leaders noticed the Packers' lack of effort and execution in key areas.

"We just couldn't get that spark that we needed," said cornerback Tramon Williams, the oldest player on the defense. "We were looking for it to come from somewhere, but we just couldn't get it for whatever reason. But at the same time, we need games like this. We're going to be better from it."

Rodgers went 23 of 35 for 161 yards, his lowest total in a full game since December 2015. His 61 yards passing through three quarters were his lowest career total during a game in which he played all three. He appeared to have little cohesion with his receivers, even with the return of Davante Adams from a four-game absence with turf toe.

Rodgers also got chased and battered all day by Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa, the Chargers' dynamic pass-rushing duo. They combined for three sacks and six quarterback hits even though the Bolts almost never blitzed, using only their four-man front.

All told, Green Bay managed only six first downs and 69 yards in the first three quarters between several sustained drives by Los Angeles.

"I've got to do a lot better job of putting our guys in position, because we really didn't even get into the game plan," coach Matt LaFleur said. "It was a spread, throw-it-all-over-the-yard kind of game, and that's not what we want to be."

Green Bay had only three possessions in the first half, all ending in punts. The Pack couldn't finish a drive with a touchdown until they already trailed by 23, finally reaching the end zone with 6:21 to play.

The defense played creditably, but only slowed down the Chargers' long drives when they reached the red zone. Green Bay finally yielded a touchdown in the third quarter on a short drive after its punt protection unit allowed Bolts rookie Drue Tranquill to block a punt.

Former Wisconsin Badgers running back Melvin Gordon then scored his second touchdown in the fourth quarter, one play after Green Bay's Tony Brown committed defensive offside during a field goal attempt to prolong the Chargers' drive.

From top to bottom, the Packers looked nothing like the impressive team that got off to a superb start for LaFleur and sparked immediate talk of Super Bowl contention.

But the rookie head coach isn't worried just yet, and the Packers have no more trips to Los Angeles on their regular season schedule.

Just New York and San Francisco.

"It was a frustrating day," LaFleur said. "We just have to hit the reset button, like we say every week, and get back to the drawing board. Just be more prepared for these situations."

___

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I just saw highlights of the Ravens 37-20 victory over the Patriots. Wow. There's a statement.
Or it was just an upset weekend. I don't watch enough football to know the difference.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I just saw highlights of the Ravens 37-20 victory over the Patriots. Wow. There's a statement.
Or it was just an upset weekend. I don't watch enough football to know the difference.
Didn't watch it either. Big f-ing deal. Once the playoffs start Ravens will pull another boner just like last year.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Re: the above article stating Rodgers felt the Pack were poorly focused leading up to the game ( ie partied in LA without saying it explicitly), that is solidly on the coach. Lafleur has a hell of a lot to prove. I think the guy is too mild mannered and might have issues with motivation, kinda like norb was. 4 of their 7 wins were against really shitty teams. The other 3 meh....against the Chefs without Mahomes? BFD. That division is weak sauce IMO. We'll see but thus far the Packers have a lot to prove. And Vikings lost to the Chefs without Mahomes lolz. We'll see how the Pack fare down the road but guessing they aren't all that this year. I bet they get their asses kicked in by SF in SF.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I only watched a little of the game but to me the big difference was the play calling by the Chuggers. Firing Wiz seemed to provide a spark. Didn’t hurt that some key players who had been out are back and getting back to form. Rodgers is just making excuses, the Pack aren’t as great as they think they are.

Kwak

May 25, 2006
I watched the game. Lamar Jackson is a dynamic player.
And yes, Bill Barnwell was smoking crack last week. Patriots actually had to play against a starting QB for the first time this year. Previous games have been guys you would normally see holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Re: the above article stating Rodgers felt the Pack were poorly focused leading up to the game ( ie partied in LA without saying it explicitly), that is solidly on the coach. Lafleur has a hell of a lot to prove. I think the guy is too mild mannered and might have issues with motivation, kinda like norb was. 4 of their 7 wins were against really shitty teams. The other 3 meh....against the Chefs without Mahomes? BFD. That division is weak sauce IMO. We'll see but thus far the Packers have a lot to prove. And Vikings lost to the Chefs without Mahomes lolz. We'll see how the Pack fare down the road but guessing they aren't all that this year. I bet they get their asses kicked in by SF in SF.
Really?
Not the big experienced star Quarterback who called the team out? Shouldn't he be a a leader in the locker room? He didn't play all that well yesterday... The Pack does have a lot to prove, and the paces to prove it. Rodgers should STFU if he doesn't play well and stop pointing fingers. (just my suborn opinion).

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Really?
Not the big experienced star Quarterback who called the team out? Shouldn't he be a a leader in the locker room? He didn't play all that well yesterday... The Pack does have a lot to prove, and the paces to prove it. Rodgers should STFU if he doesn't play well and stop pointing fingers. (just my suborn opinion).
I think he's just stating fact. True he didn't play well, but that was because he was getting sacked or running for his life all day long. His players up front and his coach didn't exactly do a hell of a lot to help the guy out. He didn't point fingers at anyone....talked about the whole team being flat and not focused. I'd bet the rest of the team would fully agree with him. And yeah the coach hasn't accomplished jack yet.....Rodgers will take heat if this guy fails as Rodgers put pressure to get McCarthy out.