• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NL West Showdown 9/15-9/18

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#1
Padres make final run at Dodgers
San Diego (76-69) at Los Angeles (77-69), 7:40 p.m. PT

09/14/2006 6:45 PM ET By Jeff Wallner / Special to MLB.com


The most important series of the season for the Padres is set to begin on Friday night at Dodger Stadium.
San Diego, which leads the National League Wild Card race, enters the four-game series with Los Angeles in second place in the NL West, trailing the Dodgers by just a half-game. Big crowds and a postseason-type atmosphere are expected to greet the Padres at Chavez Ravine.
"It's going to be very intense," said Padres manager Bruce Bochy. "It's going to be a huge series, an important series."
One of the major reasons the Padres are in a position to capture a division title is the success they've had against the Dodgers this season. San Diego is 11-3 against Los Angeles, including 5-0 at Dodger Stadium.
"The way we've played against the Dodgers this season, we've put oursevles in a good position," said Padres second baseman Josh Barfield. "This series is going to be big."
Since losing two of three to the Dodgers in late April, the Padres have beaten Los Angeles in 10 of 11 meetings, including a three-game sweep at PETCO Park in August.
A marquee pitching matchup highlights the opening game of the series, with recently acquired lefty David Wells squaring off against a future Hall of Famer in Dodgers right-hander Greg Maddux.
The four-game series marks the final meeting of the season for the two rivals.
"It's a big opportunity for both clubs," said Bochy.
Pitching matchup
SD: LHP David Wells (2-3, 4.81 ERA)
Wells is making his third start for the Padres since being acquired from the Red Sox. He is 1-1 with a 7.04 ERA in three career starts against the Dodgers.
LA: RHP Greg Maddux (12-13, 4.38 ERA)
Maddux has faced the Padres twice this season. He is 0-1 with a 5.73 ERA in two starts, both made while with the Cubs. Player to watch
Wells is among a select group of Padres players who have participated in big series with playoff implications. He has pitched in seven World Series games and made 11 appearances in the ALCS. Wells is 1-1 with a 3.72 ERA in his World Series appearances for the Yankees and Blue Jays.
 

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#3
Articles about this series are rampant. Here's a British one from the Guardian Unlimited:

Padres pip reds, eye L.A. showdown

CINCINNATI, Sept 14 (Reuters) - The San Diego Padres edged Cincinnati 4-2 on Thursday to set up a crucial four-game showdown with Los Angeles.
The Padres return to the west coast sitting atop the National League wild card standings but will look to topple the NL West-leading Dodgers in a pivotal series starting on Friday.
San Diego trails Los Angeles by a wafer-thin half game and has a 2 ½ game lead over San Francisco and Phildaelphia in the wild card race.
The Reds, meanwhile, slipped 4 ½ games back in the wild card chase and trail St. Louis by 5 ½ in the NL Central.
"It was a great way to end this series," Padres manager Bruce Bochy told MLB.com. "We lost a tough one in the first game of the series.
"We got some timely hits today. It's a great way to get on an airplane."
The Padres took control with a four-run seventh inning sparked by Mike Cameron's two-run single.
Reds starter Aaron Harang (13-11) then issued a bases-loaded walk to Clay Hensley, pushing across another run before Dave Roberts' run-scoring groundout completed the break out.
Cincinnati answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning but the Padres bullpen slammed the door, Scott Linebrink tossing a scoreless eighth and Trevor Hoffman pitching a perfect ninth to clinch his 38th save of the season.
It was career save number 474 for Hoffman, leaving him just four shy of tying Lee Smith at the top of the all-time list.

HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT

Hensley (9-11) took a shutout into the seventh inning before running into problems, giving up two runs on five hits with a career high seven strike outs in the win.
"We've got a little bit of energy going to L.A.," said Cameron. "I'm sure they're going to be ready to go.
"It's going to be a hostile environment."...
(Writing by Steve Keating in Toronto)

I love it, the Padres "pip" the Reds!:lol:
 
#6
This one is for KimPossible I hope that the Friars and the Dodgers split the series because both teams can go after the series and see what the rest of this month can reveal.:icon_wink: :yes:

Secondly to see who is going to represent the NL West in the Playoffs.:tup:
 

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#7
turbo_turtle said:
This one is for KimPossible I hope that the Friars and the Dodgers split the series because both teams can go after the series and see what the rest of this month can reveal.:icon_wink: :yes:

Secondly to see who is going to represent the NL West in the Playoffs.:tup:
I KNEW it was you lurking invisible in here!:lol:

Personally, I would like the Padres to take at least 3 of 4. But thats just me. I am predicting they take 3 of 4.:yes:

Sportscenter and BBTN pimped this Series. BIG TIME. They repeated themselves about "shock" they are talking about the West, not the East. Hosers.Tools.
 
#14
rexy2006 said:
I KNEW it was you lurking invisible in here!:lol:

Personally, I would like the Padres to take at least 3 of 4. But thats just me. I am predicting they take 3 of 4.:yes:

Sportscenter and BBTN pimped this Series. BIG TIME. They repeated themselves about "shock" they are talking about the West, not the East. Hosers.Tools.
I was invisible here because I am always at peoples feet speeding around in stealth mode but KimPossible is a similar person as I am stealthy as well.:lol:

Me as myself I would like a 3 out of 4 from the Dodgers and hopefully get into First Place in the NL West and then there is much better sialing from there to the playoffs.:tup:
 

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#17
turbo_turtle said:
I was invisible here because I am always at peoples feet speeding around in stealth mode but KimPossible is a similar person as I am stealthy as well.:lol:

Me as myself I would like a 3 out of 4 from the Dodgers and hopefully get into First Place in the NL West and then there is much better sialing from there to the playoffs.:tup:
My dear Turtle, the Padres never sail. Never. They still gots to play the Snakes for 7, the Bucs for 3 and the Cards for 3.That is after they smoke the Duds. None of those teams are super easy. (The Bucs? They might be easy...)
The Snakes are always a major PITA.

The Pads have to keep winning:tup: and the Duds haveta keep tanking...:tdown:
 

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#22
When the Padres win the division, they will party till their pants fall off.:icon_toast:

So let us party till our pants fall off.:icon_banana:

So it is written, so shall it be so.:icon_mrgreen:

-So sayeth the chick with the Squirrel Humping Spiderman's head avatar.
:icon_party: :icon_party: :icon_party:
 

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#24
turbo_turtle said:
:icon_mrgreen: You all need to take this thread into the Adult section here.:icon_mrgreen:
Not the whole thread. Just the pants falling off discussion. Even though Trumpie's drop-dead dirty discussions occur in the Chargers Forum ALL THE TIME.
 
#26
rexy2006 said:
Not the whole thread. Just the pants falling off discussion. Even though Trumpie's drop-dead dirty discussions occur in the Chargers Forum ALL THE TIME.
Even Trumpies tyraids need the Adult Section sometimes.:icon_mrgreen:

When the pants thing goes then the Adult Section for the all of you.:icon_mrgreen:
 

rexy2006

Well-Known Member
#27
turbo_turtle said:
Even Trumpies tyraids need the Adult Section sometimes.:icon_mrgreen:

When the pants thing goes then the Adult Section for the all of you.:icon_mrgreen:
Most of Trumpie's tirades belong in the Adult Section. His takes often burn my eyes. He pretty much has free reign to kick it up several notches.

I said all I'm gonna say. GO PADRES! Goodnight.
 
#28
rexy2006 said:
Most of Trumpie's tirades belong in the Adult Section. His takes often burn my eyes. He pretty much has free reign to kick it up several notches.

I said all I'm gonna say. GO PADRES! Goodnight.
Goodnight Rexy sleep well and GO PADRES!
 

Top