• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL's Golden Era 1964-1994 Thread

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
So I follow this group on FB and thought it would be fun to share photos/videos/articles on the when the NFL was at it's best. What we grew up with and when the players were still at the human level.

So I'll start...

Fran Tarkenton, who IMO is one of the top 10 QB's of all time.

Fran Tarkenton.jpg

So I follow this group on FB and thought it would be fun to share photos/videos/articles on the when the NFL was at it's best. What we grew up with and when the players were still at the human level.
So I'll start...
Fran Tarkenton, who IMO is one of the top 10 QB's of all time.
It's a cool topic...though I don't think I'm totally clear on the criteria: "...when the players were still at the human level."

I mean, Alworth played at a super-hero level...but was paid more like my IT guy...

Lance-Alworth-photo.png

It's a cool topic...though I don't think I'm totally clear on the criteria: "...when the players were still at the human level."

I mean, Alworth played at a super-hero level...but was paid more like my IT guy...

View attachment 6684
That separation and catch happen all the time under today's rules. Back then, quarterbacks and receivers had to be a lot better to make a pass work. That's why most plays were runs. Today the running game barely matters. Today's NFL is like watching a game of catch if a game of catch included hours of people just standing around.

SDRay

FU Spanos and Dundon
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster

View attachment 6684
Exactly what I mean when I say human level. In the 70's guys made $20-25K per season. They didn't have bodyguards and worked other jobs while sacrificing their bodies for the sport and opening the doors to the riches these players make today.

s-l300.jpg

My childhood hero and still the best running back I've ever seen. Chuck Muncie was big, strong, fast, and agile. Plus he could catch and pass, and nobody could stop him at the goal line. Today, the running game barely matters. Muncie would probably be a tight end or a linebacker. Nah. **** that, Muncie would be leaping over the Greek Freak and breaking backboards.

I stole this from Google. That autograph wasn't for me.

Last edited:
View attachment 6692

My childhood hero and still the best running back I've ever seen (Okay - Bo and Barry were close. Chuck Muncie was big, strong, and agile. Plus he could catch and pass, and nobody could stop him at the goal line. Today, the running game barely matters. Muncie would probably be a tight end or a linebacker. Nah. **** that, Muncie would be leaping over the Greek Freak and breaking backboards.

I stole this from Google. That autograph wasn't for me.
Muncie was big, fast, powerful, and awesome. He also took some of the worst beatings a running back could take because he took on tacklers, did not shy away from them.

Muncie was big, fast, powerful, and awesome. He also took some of the worst beatings a running back could take because he took on tacklers, did not shy away from them.
Best I ever saw. Better than Bo. Better than Barry. Chuck was by far the fastest player on our team during training camp sprints. He beat Wes Chandler and company, and he didnt even look like he was trying. Nevermind he was twice the size of every non lineman.

Chuck Muncie was big, strong, fast, and agile. Plus he could catch and pass, and nobody could stop him at the goal line.
Best I ever saw. Better than Bo. Better than Barry. Chuck was by far the fastest player on our team during training camp sprints. He beat Wes Chandler and company, and he didnt even look like he was trying. Nevermind he was twice the size of every non lineman.
In his prime, Chuck was an absolute force of nature...casting a Jim Brown shaped shadow.

I loved him for all the reasons you guys said...plus he was a fellow Cal Golden Bear. :inlove:
41db5adef06fbcce36fbfaf7aedda9b7.jpg

All that said :D I do usually think this, for just a moment... :whistling:
Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 4.02.24 PM.png