NFL, Week 5

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Los Angeles Rams at Seattle SeahawksThursday, October 3rd, 2019 at 8:20pm ETBye Week:
DET, MIA
Chicago Bears at Oakland RaidersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Buffalo Bills at Tennessee TitansSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh SteelersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
New York Jets at Philadelphia EaglesSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
New England Patriots at WashingtonSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Jacksonville Jaguars at Carolina PanthersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Minnesota Vikings at New York GiantsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Atlanta Falcons at Houston TexansSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Arizona Cardinals at Cincinnati BengalsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans SaintsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Denver Broncos at Los Angeles ChargersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 4:05pm ET
Green Bay Packers at Dallas CowboysSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 4:25pm ET
Indianapolis Colts at Kansas City ChiefsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 8:20pm ET
Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Los Angeles Rams at Seattle SeahawksThursday, October 3rd, 2019 at 8:20pm ETBye Week:
DET, MIA
Chicago Bears at Oakland RaidersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Buffalo Bills at Tennessee TitansSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburgh SteelersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
New York Jets at Philadelphia EaglesSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
New England Patriots at WashingtonSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Jacksonville Jaguars at Carolina PanthersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Minnesota Vikings at New York GiantsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Atlanta Falcons at Houston TexansSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Arizona Cardinals at Cincinnati BengalsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans SaintsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 1:00pm ET
Denver Broncos at Los Angeles ChargersSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 4:05pm ET
Green Bay Packers at Dallas CowboysSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 4:25pm ET
Indianapolis Colts at Kansas City ChiefsSunday, October 6th, 2019 at 8:20pm ET
Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Broncos look like a mess. The chuggers play well on the road. I expect a victory for the chuggers.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
this would be a great year to play in a survivor pool. Anyone vs. Miami or the Redskins

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
this would be a great year to play in a survivor pool. Anyone vs. Miami or the Redskins
From what I saw Sunday, it is hard to believe somebody is worse than the Cardinals. But, from what I remember from the days I paid attention to games, it was nearly impossible to determine who was going to truly suck until about Week 5. Teams generally took about a month to figure out how to block, tackle, and catch.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
On paper this should be an easy win for Chuggers but those are the games they always lose.

Lose LA. Hahaha

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
On paper this should be an easy win for Chuggers but those are the games they always lose.

Lose LA. Hahaha
When I was a Spanos fan, I only remember losing to the underdogs in the post season. I don't remember that being an issue in the regular season. We generally lost, but, generally, we were the underdogs. That is to say we sucked. We would hang in the game with the better teams until the final two minutes and then blow it.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
DJ Flucker.

Weddle

What other ex chrgs are in tonight’s game

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I really hate this modern day “football”. Quarterbacks get to run 8 yards and then slide and you can't touch them.
That's not football. And then there's that ridiculous roughing the passer penalty against Matthews of the Rams. He just lead with his elbow, hardly even his shoulder and goofball Wilson falls on his back. Was not even near a penalty. The game is ruined. Reviews, limited challenges, goofy refs, the OPI vs. DPI bullshit. Well with a 17 game season and of course, one more “playoff” team per conference, add in the now traditional 4-6 teams tanking on purpose, there be one or two teams tops that do not make the “playoffs.”
Why they play these make believe football games is beyond me.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I really hate this modern day “football”. Quarterbacks get to run 8 yards and then slide and you can't touch them.
That's not football. And then there's that ridiculous roughing the passer penalty against Matthews of the Rams. He just lead with his elbow, hardly even his shoulder and goofball Wilson falls on his back. Was not even near a penalty. The game is ruined. Reviews, limited challenges, goofy refs, the OPI vs. DPI bullshit. Well with a 17 game season and of course, one more “playoff” team per conference, add in the now traditional 4-6 teams tanking on purpose, there be one or two teams tops that do not make the “playoffs.”
Yup, Q is right. RIGGED.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Well, I'm already 0 for 1 on my predictions! :(

That was a horrendous roughing call against Matthews and it did affect the outcome of the game. If it aided the Rams in any way, it was by helping the Seahawks get closer and score more quickly, leaving more time on the clock for LA to get within range to attempt a game winning field goal. If that ridiculous call is never made though, then Wilson needs to take more chances to move the ball downfield and the Rams may have stopped them or possibly even gotten a turnover.

As for the playoffs, I think the NFL should add 1 more Wild Card berth to each conference, and only the #1 seed should get a bye - #2 would play #7 in the Wild Card round and that would not only make the season more meaningful & exciting for longer by keeping more teams in the postseason hunt (many more berths & seeds would be decided in Week 17) but it would also force the better teams to fight harder for the top seed if they want that weekend off & homefield advantage throughout.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Well, I'm already 0 for 1 on my predictions! :(

That was a horrendous roughing call against Matthews and it did affect the outcome of the game. If it aided the Rams in any way, it was by helping the Seahawks get closer and score more quickly, leaving more time on the clock for LA to get within range to attempt a game winning field goal. If that ridiculous call is never made though, then Wilson needs to take more chances to move the ball downfield and the Rams may have stopped them or possibly even gotten a turnover.

As for the playoffs, I think the NFL should add 1 more Wild Card berth to each conference, and only the #1 seed should get a bye - #2 would play #7 in the Wild Card round and that would not only make the season more meaningful & exciting for longer by keeping more teams in the postseason hunt (many more berths & seeds would be decided in Week 17) but it would also force the better teams to fight harder for the top seed if they want that weekend off & homefield advantage throughout.
It wouldn't be more exciting for me. Just more mediocre teams. There won't be anymore 8-8 teams. A 7-9 team could make the playoffs. Just more games, more money for the owners. Doesn't nothing to improve the quality of the product.

Under the proposal, seven teams in each conference would qualify for the postseason instead of the current six. One team in each conference, rather than the current two, would receive an opening-round playoff bye. That would make for six first-round playoff games (three in each conference) instead of the current four, one of which might be played on a Monday night. The two additional playoff games probably would be enticing to networks in the NFL’s next set of negotiations for TV rights deals.

It’s not known whether expanding the playoffs would preclude the owners from seeking a 17th regular season game. That probably would involve each team playing one game per season at a neutral site, perhaps in another country.

Washington post.com.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
It wouldn't be more exciting for me. Just more mediocre teams. There won't be anymore 8-8 teams. A 7-9 team could make the playoffs. Just more games, more money for the owners. Doesn't nothing to improve the quality of the product.

Under the proposal, seven teams in each conference would qualify for the postseason instead of the current six. One team in each conference, rather than the current two, would receive an opening-round playoff bye. That would make for six first-round playoff games (three in each conference) instead of the current four, one of which might be played on a Monday night. The two additional playoff games probably would be enticing to networks in the NFL’s next set of negotiations for TV rights deals.

It’s not known whether expanding the playoffs would preclude the owners from seeking a 17th regular season game. That probably would involve each team playing one game per season at a neutral site, perhaps in another country.

Washington post.com.
7-9 teams have already made it to the playoffs, I remember when the Seahawks did and knocked off the defending champion Saints. It would result in more games and therefore increased profits for owners & networks, but I do believe it would also increase the quality of the product – more teams being in the hunt right until the very end would have a tremendous affect on the interest of fans & cities across the country.

The only advantage I can see to a 17 game regular season is that no one would finish with a .500 record, every team would have either a winning or a losing record unless there were a whole lot of ties. You could do it without expanding the season too, just have 3 preseason games vice the current 4 virtually worthless ones – the flaw I can see in that would be that some teams would get 2 home preseason games and others would get 1, unless all teams had to play 1 preseason game at a neutral site. They could tie the scheduling of the extra home game to the record or standings of the previous season. I’m not keen on expanding the regular season too much, at some point teams would need 2 byes during a season vice 1. I think if the NFL eventually extends the regular season to 18 games, they would have to grant each team 2 byes and likely expand the rosters as well – that, if anything would water down the talent level and would not improve the quality of the product.

For all the bluster the NFL spews about concern for player safety, the Thursday night games put the lie to that claim. Having people play 2 NFL games within 5 days is in no way either safe or smart, even if they get a week & ½ before their next game afterwards.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Agree with Lancer 1. The whole 'game' is no longer an athletic contest but just another product, like TV spinning off secondary series of a popular show to maximize profits. Attendance is no longer even a factor, Cinn. Bengals are in low attendance and the LAC, due to Dignity, is last. At the SoFi Stadium, who in hell would pay good money to watch a non home team? The money guys get more product, more sausage, to put on between the commercials. Why wait a week of anticipation between Division rivals if you market the demographic for Thursday night...or Sunday night...or Monday night......anyone think the CBA will allow Friday night games? More playoff potential teams. Yeah, that will keep you watching those Verizon and Pizza Hut commercials while suffering through the Jags vs, the Dolphins.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Oh yeah....no NFL team would like to move to London.

Chuggers....née the London Guard. Sounds good. LA approves.