NFL to play games in Mexico in 2020, 2021 seasons

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Wednesday that the NFL will return to Mexico City for one game at Estadio Azteca during both the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

The date and time of the 2020 game along with details for the rest of the league's international slate will be determined in conjunction with the NFL schedule release this spring, the league said in a statement.

The NFL returned to Mexico in 2019 for a November Monday Night Football game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Chargers after a one-year absence. The 2018 Mexico game was moved to Los Angeles due to safety issues with the playing surface at Estadio Azteca.

"We had a great experience this past November down in Mexico," Goodell said during his Super Bowl LIV news conference. "It was just a great event and we loved being there. We look forward to being back and we are proud to be able to say we're going to be there for two more games over the next two years. Our fan base down there continues to grow and become more passionate. Our partners down there have been extraordinary and we want to continue that. We want to build on that."

The games in 2020 and 2021 will mark the fifth and sixth NFL games played in Mexico.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Goodell telling. Toronto, you need to 'consider a newer stadium'.
Good bye, Bills fans. The Corporation is taking over. You are no longer valid.
Don't take crap from your “beloved owner”. Money talks, history walks...

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I used to think that there was no way the nfl would move a team to London or Mexico.

Now, I think Harry is right. You don’t have games in London and Mexico City year after year unless you envision a team permanently located there. Nfl don’t care cause the only people that suffer are the players and the fans they abandon by relocating a team from one city to another.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I used to think that there was no way the nfl would move a team to London or Mexico.

Now, I think Harry is right. You don’t have games in London and Mexico City year after year unless you envision a team permanently located there. Nfl don’t care cause the only people that suffer are the players and the fans they abandon by relocating a team from one city to another.
Money. More money going “ international”. Hockey and baseball and basketball want that global clothing, product market. The games, the cities are merely a vehicle to sell the soap.
Past city history? Past team history? Just change the colors of the package, redo the graphics,
start a new product campaign. Get government to help foot the bill of your 30 year factory.
Then charge them to just have the opportunity to buy a seat. And sell some more streaming rights.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that globalization was always going to be a difficult challenge for NFL, compared to say NBA or NHL or even MLB. The game is NOT global. Four down football is only played in the United States as opposed to basketball or hockey that are played at a professional level in many countries around the world. Furthermore, the sport is viewed by many around the world as too violent, barbaric, and unattractive. Sure, they will try to raise interest in Europe, Mexico, and Canada by playing these exhibition games; but I think we're still many years away from any kind of expansion beyond the US borders.
I understand the "money" angle, but a number of NFL owners have already sizable investments in professional soccer teams in top European leagues, so they already have access to the sports dollars across the pond without incurring the risk of introducing a saturated market to whole new sport.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

More I bet since.
Per Yahoo! Sports, the latest NFL jersey sales for the continent featured three Patriots in the top seven: quarterback Tom Brady at No. 1, tight end Rob Gronkowski at No. 5 and wide receiver Julian Edelman at No. 7. And apparently, they have quite the following in the United Kingdom. “I think for the most part it starts off with team loyalty rather than players,” Alistair Kirkwood, NFL U.K. managing director, told Yahoo! “The Patriots are the most popular team in the U.K. They have the biggest fan base. That’s why I think Tom Brady’s jersey is the biggest seller.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2015/10/patriots-are-londons-favorite-team-tom-brady-no-1-in-european-jersey-sales/

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018

Didn't think it deserved it's own thread, so I stuck it here...but I saw it yesterday and thought it was an interesting read.

The Jaguars are spearheading a proposed $700 million entertainment district development around the stadium that would result in additional revenue, but until that happens Jaguars president Mark Lamping said adding another home game in London is the right action for the team to take.

"For clubs like the Jaguars, we are entering an uncertain time," Lamping said. "That uncertain time is related to three teams that in the past were teams that were with us in the bottom of the league in terms of revenue. They have taken steps, steps that we would not consider, but they've taken steps to fix their revenue by leaving Oakland, by leaving St. Louis, and by leaving San Diego. That has had an impact in terms of all the other teams that are where we are in terms of the league.

There's no mention in the article about the Jax fan base who will be losing 1/4 of their home games....If they can't fill up the stadium, or at the very least find a way to sell out their seats to opposing teams......FUCK'EM!!!

Think about this....2 games out of 8 is like an NBA team playing 20 home games, at a neutral site!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
"For clubs like the Jaguars, we are entering an uncertain time," Lamping said. "That uncertain time is related to three teams that in the past were teams that were with us in the bottom of the league in terms of revenue. They have taken steps, steps that we would not consider, but they've taken steps to fix their revenue by leaving Oakland, by leaving St. Louis, and by leaving San Diego. That has had an impact in terms of all the other teams that are where we are in terms of the league.
If he was trying to make a clear point, he failed, re. me. What is:
"That has had an impact in terms of all the other teams that are where we are in terms of the league"
supposed to mean? Was the NFL abandoning those long-time NFL-supporting cities good? Bad? WTF Lampling?!?

p.s. LAC players softly, tenderly whimpering: "Wow! Six whole home games! That'd be awesome."

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Gee, the NFL sounds a lot like the rest of corporate America........sell out Americans who worked for your loyally for their lives and go somewhere else or overseas to make more money, 'cause it's a friendlier environment for making a whole hell of a lot of money for the stockholders. Hey, how about China? What about selling the league and teams to China? Less taxes the owners have to pay over there, less regulations. Let's play the games in China , have the league in China, and we can keep some stadiums here to use as giant theaters where the games will be televised on a huge Jerrah-style Jumbo JackoffTron. The teams can even keep names that are American. The Wuhan Bolts......Corona Beer the sponsor. Maybe if we are all lucky the spanos family and the rest of the greedy NFL owners and the commissioner will be killed off by some novel virus that starts up in a wet market.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
If he was trying to make a clear point, he failed, re. me. What is:
"That has had an impact in terms of all the other teams that are where we are in terms of the league"
supposed to mean? Was the NFL abandoning those long-time NFL-supporting cities good? Bad? WTF Lampling?!?

p.s. LAC players softly, tenderly whimpering: "Wow! Six whole home games! That'd be awesome."
Not sure but I think he's saying: 'F*&k you Jacksonville...We out!'...Furthermore, I think he's saying: 'F*#K you Cincinnati, Buffalo, Phoenix....You're next'!!!

I think the underlying message here is that NFL stages games in big foreign markets, not so much to explore possible expansion, but to raise badly needed revenue for some of it's smaller market teams. This explains why they never have compelling match ups, between iconic franchises played in these games.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Not sure but I think he's saying: 'F*&k you Jacksonville...We out!'...Furthermore, I think he's saying: 'F*#K you Cincinnati, Buffalo, Phoenix....You're next'!!!

I think the underlying message here is that NFL stages games in big foreign markets, not so much to explore possible expansion, but to raise badly needed revenue for some of it's smaller market teams. This explains why they never have compelling match ups, between iconic franchises played in these games.
Yes agree totally. The one huge glaring inexplicable is "badly needed revenue". How so? Harry posted some time ago on the other forum that shall remain unnamed, because it's name is about as deceptive as they come, that the spanos revenue was huge over the years they'd been in SD......the multiplier was astronomical and they were making a huge windfall. So how much is the extra revenue 'badly needed'? For whom? By whom? For what? My only conclusion can be GREED. Guys like Jerrah et al can never be satisfied by their greed for more money. For them money is power and they crave it beyond anything else in this life, nothing else really matters to them. How big is Jerrah's yacht. Did he need that huge monstrosity of a stadium with a scroeboard the length of the field. You can bet he's planning to outdo Kroenke's digs at some point. It's all about who's dick is bigger than the others with that league. Eff them. Yet we continue to watch them rip off average middle class American sports fans and their cities, and toss them into the garbage can like they are just pawns on a chessboard.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
The Jags had over $400M in revenue which puts them near the bottom of the league in that category. Their argument is that the Chargers who were at the bottom by a large margin -cause of the small stadium- will have improved revenue with the move to the new place, leaving them 1 spot closer to being last!....So rather than figuring out how to create revenue growth through the normal methods like winning, signing superstars, creative marketing and increased community involvement, they're simply going to play a couple of games in a foreign market!

Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Gee, the NFL sounds a lot like the rest of corporate America........sell out Americans who worked for your loyally for their lives and go somewhere else or overseas to make more money, 'cause it's a friendlier environment for making a whole hell of a lot of money for the stockholders. Hey, how about China? What about selling the league and teams to China? Less taxes the owners have to pay over there, less regulations. Let's play the games in China , have the league in China, and we can keep some stadiums here to use as giant theaters where the games will be televised on a huge Jerrah-style Jumbo JackoffTron. The teams can even keep names that are American. The Wuhan Bolts......Corona Beer the sponsor. Maybe if we are all lucky the spanos family and the rest of the greedy NFL owners and the commissioner will be killed off by some novel virus that starts up in a wet market.
If the Circus doesn't make enough to have three rings, you roll up the tents and move to
Poolookaville.

Ringleader Spanni has one familia per ring.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
they new a new venue to fuck over now that they can’t since hold cities hostage with the threat of moving to LA

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Been said before....the key promo word is “globalization”.

Globalization Of The NFL. ... The NFL and Roger Goodell have plans to go from a $10 billion dollar empire to $25 billion dollar empire by 2027 and in order to do so, he and the league feel it is necessary to expand into global markets such as Canada, Mexico and England.Feb 29, 2016

Teams as teams of cities is meaningless and flexible. You can change the product container, its color, its volume. You just need the folks to buy it. They have to think they need it.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Someone should alert dean-o that he can get players for 50 cents an hour, if he'll move to China. That's globalization!!
Maybe someone can talk him into starting back up the food catering truck business in China.....tell him to buy all his food from the cheapest source...the wet markets....that's one way to get rid of him.

Pointyearedog

I only put idiots on ignore...
Aug 19, 2008
Golden Hill
Maybe someone can talk him into starting back up the food catering truck business in China.....tell him to buy all his food from the cheapest source...the wet markets....that's one way to get rid of him.
And invest heavily in the pangolin ranching arena... Hey Deano, have another Corona...(virus)

• Haha
Reactions: Gill Man