• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL Report: Chargers defense jolting opposition

USA Today Article

"When you're on a defense like this, you know it's special — that you're not just racing to beat the offensive lineman to get a sack, you're trying to beat your teammate because you know everybody's coming," second-year defensive end Luis Castillo says. "You watch us out there; it's a feeding frenzy. I know I can't just beat my guy. I have to get there faster than Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips. And those guys are doing the same thing."

The Chargers opened the season with nine sacks in their 27-0 trampling of the Oakland Raiders.

"You have to fight for your sacks and tackles around here, man," Pro Bowl defensive tackle Jamal Williams says. "You can be one-on-one with your guy and think, 'Oh, this is my tackle.' And then the other guys get it. We've got the depth. A guy goes down or needs a rest, another guy steps in and gives you the same effort. It's a fast and tenacious defense."

Wade Phillips, the highly respected 30-year NFL coaching veteran, is the architect of this human stampede. He told his players they have the potential to be the best group he's ever coached.
You gotta love the chemistry these guys have...:tup: :yes:

and I don't mean Kiel's cough syrup concoctions...:lol: