NFL Considering Higher Draft Picks for teams that hire Minority Coaches

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
no I agree the thread belongs here, I just picked the posts primarily related to the politics of the naming of the Washington Native Americans which I thought were getting into the weeds. Whatever. Tough choice. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. maybe we should take a poll.....on second thought LOL
The L.A. Chargers are offensive to me. I'm not Native American, but I am Irish and Jewish - that has to count for something. Is Spanos pro Holocaust and potato famine? Fuck him.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
I read somewhere that the Greek government expunged all records of the Spanos family ever existing in Greece in an attempt to distancs themselves from the family.
This is the family patriarch Kalibanos Spanos dreaming of a life in NY!

If anyone is curious, that was an excerpt from a John Cassavetes film by Paul Mazursky, called Tempest (1982); a modern day adaptation of the Shakespearean play that takes place on a Greek island. Raul Julia plays the role of Kalibanos in the film, or Caliban in the play who was described like this:

Half human, half monster. After his island becomes occupied by Prospero and his daughter Miranda, Caliban is forced into slavery. While he is referred to as a calvaluna or mooncalf, a freckled monster, he is the only human inhabitant of the island that is otherwise "not honour'd with a human shape" . In some traditions he is depicted as a wild man, or a deformed man, or a beast man, or sometimes a mix of fish and man, a dwarf or even a tortoise.

Banished from Algiers, Sycorax was left on the isle, pregnant with Caliban, and died before Prospero's arrival. Caliban, despite his inhuman nature, clearly loved and worshipped his mother, referring to Setebos as his mother's god, and appealing to her powers against Prospero. Prospero explains his harsh treatment of Caliban by claiming that after initially befriending him, Caliban attempted to rape Miranda. Caliban confirms this gleefully, saying that if he had not been stopped he would have peopled the island with a race of Calibans – "Thou didst prevent me, I had peopled else this isle with Calibans" (Act I:ii). Prospero then entraps Caliban and torments him with harmful magic if Caliban does not obey his orders. Resentful of Prospero, Caliban takes Stephano, one of the shipwrecked servants, as a god and as his new master. Caliban learns that Stephano is neither a god nor Prospero's equal in the conclusion of the play, however, and Caliban agrees to obey Prospero again.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
This is the family patriarch Kalibanos Spanos dreaming of a life in NY!

If anyone is curious, that was an excerpt from a John Cassavetes film by Paul Mazursky, called Tempest (1982); a modern day adaptation of the Shakespearean play that takes place on a Greek island. Raul Julia plays the role of Kalibanos in the film, or Caliban in the play who was describe like this:

Half human, half monster. After his island becomes occupied by Prospero and his daughter Miranda, Caliban is forced into slavery. While he is referred to as a calvaluna or mooncalf, a freckled monster, he is the only human inhabitant of the island that is otherwise "not honour'd with a human shape" . In some traditions he is depicted as a wild man, or a deformed man, or a beast man, or sometimes a mix of fish and man, a dwarf or even a tortoise.

Banished from Algiers, Sycorax was left on the isle, pregnant with Caliban, and died before Prospero's arrival. Caliban, despite his inhuman nature, clearly loved and worshipped his mother, referring to Setebos as his mother's god, and appealing to her powers against Prospero. Prospero explains his harsh treatment of Caliban by claiming that after initially befriending him, Caliban attempted to rape Miranda. Caliban confirms this gleefully, saying that if he had not been stopped he would have peopled the island with a race of Calibans – "Thou didst prevent me, I had peopled else this isle with Calibans" (Act I:ii). Prospero then entraps Caliban and torments him with harmful magic if Caliban does not obey his orders. Resentful of Prospero, Caliban takes Stephano, one of the shipwrecked servants, as a god and as his new master. Caliban learns that Stephano is neither a god nor Prospero's equal in the conclusion of the play, however, and Caliban agrees to obey Prospero again.
One Bill's most famous and my most favorite quotations,
Caliban speaks to Stephano and Trinculo.

Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight, and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices,
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open, and show riches
Ready to drop upon me; that, when I waked,
I cried to dream again.

Reactions: handoverfist