NFL 2019 Week 2

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
So, Mahomes has 274 yards passing, before halftime.

His last two drives were 100 and 104 yards.

But can we agree that it only looks good for Mahomes, because of Tyreek Hill?

p.s. Apologies: While I was typing, Mahomes had time for a one play drive...
a 39 yard TD pass, so 313 yards and 4 TDs on the road, at half. Tyreek, you amazing!!
I dont think Chainy comes by any more. Mahomes is a star.

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Anybody see the end of the Bronco Bear game?

How the fuk can they call a timeout with no time on the clock? The bear wr caught a pass hit the ground with no time left and they got a timeout?

Who is making this shiit up every week

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Anybody see the end of the Bronco Bear game?

How the fuk can they call a timeout with no time on the clock? The bear wr caught a pass hit the ground with no time left and they got a timeout?

Who is making this shiit up every week
I was wondering about that too. Granted, I only saw the replay on the post game show but it appeared to hit 00:00 before they called the timeout. I guess Vegas wanted a Bears victory.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I was wondering about that too. Granted, I only saw the replay on the post game show but it appeared to hit 00:00 before they called the timeout. I guess Vegas wanted a Bears victory.
They said he called it with 1 second left on the clock. not a stellar day for the zebras all around.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Didn't expect my Raiders to win today, but they did give some early hope. Chiefs minus Hill are still awesome. Also thanks Lions!
Didn't expect it either. But I would like to see improvement this year and either split or take 2 from the chuggers, that would be great. GO RAIDERS!!!!

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
So, Mahomes has 274 yards passing, before halftime.

His last two drives were 100 and 104 yards.

But can we agree that it only looks good for Mahomes, because of Tyreek Hill?

p.s. Apologies: While I was typing, Mahomes had time for a one play drive...
a 39 yard TD pass, so 313 yards and 4 TDs on the road, at half. Tyreek, you amazing!!
Explain please how you have a drive of 104 yards.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Sucks about Brees. Dude is a warrior and a old school player.

This seems like the only rational place to discuss football. Local media and national media pimping the chargers all summer long. We knew the truth.

Reactions: Gill Man

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
You overcome penalty yards.
I don't believe that's part of the calculation.. Defensive penalties noted, offensive penalties not. You don't get
Yardage for re doing the same yards over again. NFL rulebook

Measuring a Scoring Drive
Scoring drive yardage is measured from the initial line of scrimmage to the goal line, in the event of a touchdown, or from the initial line of scrimmage to the last line of scrimmage for field goals, not the spot from which the kick is attempted. The number of plays in a drive shall be the sum of the number of rushing attempts, passes, sacks and field-goal attempts in that drive. Also, a separate notation shall be made of the number of penalties against the defensive team during the drive. The entire summary shall be expressed in this style: An 80-yard touchdown drive in six plays, plus two penalties.

qp0nEagles • 3y •
I'm sure it happens all the time. 25 yds in penalties on a TD drive isn't exactly a rarity. That's a couple holds and a false start, it probably happens every week. As for the longest? No idea, my guess is ~140-150 yards.

BobLbLawsLawBlgBuccaneers • 3y •
Technically the drive you described would be listed as a 90 yard drive, negative yards don't allow a team to add yards to their drive total. That said Mike Evans went HAM on the Skins last year and went for 104 himself.

Last edited:

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I don't believe that's part of the calculation.. Defensive penalties noted, offensive penalties not. You don't get
Yardage for re doing the same yards over again. NFL rulebook

Measuring a Scoring Drive
Scoring drive yardage is measured from the initial line of scrimmage to the goal line, in the event of a touchdown, or from the initial line of scrimmage to the last line of scrimmage for field goals, not the spot from which the kick is attempted. The number of plays in a drive shall be the sum of the number of rushing attempts, passes, sacks and field-goal attempts in that drive. Also, a separate notation shall be made of the number of penalties against the defensive team during the drive. The entire summary shall be expressed in this style: An 80-yard touchdown drive in six plays, plus two penalties.

qp0nEagles • 3y •
I'm sure it happens all the time. 25 yds in penalties on a TD drive isn't exactly a rarity. That's a couple holds and a false start, it probably happens every week. As for the longest? No idea, my guess is ~140-150 yards.

BobLbLawsLawBlgBuccaneers • 3y •
Technically the drive you described would be listed as a 90 yard drive, negative yards don't allow a team to add yards to their drive total. That said Mike Evans went HAM on the Skins last year and went for 104 himself.
Interesting. We need the NY officials to tell us the answer...........oh wait......lolz.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
Explain please how you have a drive of 104 yards.
I'm probably not the best guy to explain why it can be 104...I simply don't care much about such details.

But my source was NFL.com, and since it's an NFL property, re. an NFL game,
I'm not feeling motivated to argue with them that they're wrong about how they calculate this... :p
100 & 104.jpg

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but to answer honestly. I think the point is that taking
an offense 204 yards on two consecutive TD drives is probably pretty impressive,
no matter how it's entered into the stat sheet...Mahomes' 2nd quarter was amazing...

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
you can cut and paste the rankings for the rest of the season. No one gives a shit about the chargers.
same ol'. we all predicted it way before the tallies started coming in. Bunch of nostradamuses around here. lolz.

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
LA Week 2 NFL TV rankings.
1. #Rams-#Saints
2.#Eagles-#Falcons
3.#Vikings-#Packers
4.#Chargers-#Lions
Since everyone is on mobile devices, phones, pads, etc. these days, what do these TV numbers actually mean? The NFL wants you connected to all its products at the same time (eg. vis an app and carrier) so you buy the League wide products, beer, Verizon, Allstate insurance, etc. Local stations eg. CBS LA, want data yes but Leaguewide it's selling to most folks at once.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I'm probably not the best guy to explain why it can be 104...I simply don't care much about such details.

But my source was NFL.com, and since it's an NFL property, re. an NFL game,
I'm not feeling motivated to argue with them that they're wrong about how they calculate this... :p
View attachment 6842
I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but to answer honestly. I think the point is that taking
an offense 204 yards on two consecutive TD drives is probably pretty impressive,
no matter how it's entered into the stat sheet...Mahomes' 2nd quarter was amazing...
Sample: a receiver can get more than 100 yards receiving in a say 90 yard drive, but the team scoring drive would be 90 yards.
Penalties are noted but you can't get double credit for the same yards. If a QB throws a 10 yard pass, WR runs 50 yards...60 yards, right? ... If there was an offensive penalty one yard past his 10 yard reception, WR gets 11 yards, QB gets 11 yards. The other 49 yards can't be counted on player's stats. To count the 50 yards as part of drive I think is wrong. If it was true, Chargers would not have 49 yard drives for TDs but 90 yard drive for every possession from the fifty yard line in. And Rivers would be over 400 yards easily.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Sample: a receiver can get more than 100 yards receiving in a say 90 yard drive, but the team scoring drive would be 90 yards.
Penalties are noted but you can't get double credit for the same yards. If a QB throws a 10 yard pass, WR runs 50 yards...60 yards, right? ... If there was an offensive penalty one yard past his 10 yard reception, WR gets 11 yards, QB gets 11 yards. The other 49 yards can't be counted on player's stats. To count the 50 yards as part of drive I think is wrong. If it was true, Chargers would not have 49 yard drives for TDs but 90 yard drive for every possession from the fifty yard line in. And Rivers would be over 400 yards easily.
If a QB throws a 98 yard pass from his own 1 yard line to the opponents 1 yard line, then on the next 10 plays they get holding and personal foul penalties to back them up to their own 20, then he throws an 80 yard TD pass, wouldn’t he get credit for 178 yards passing on that drive?

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
If a QB throws a 98 yard pass from his own 1 yard line to the opponents 1 yard line, then on the next 10 plays they get holding and personal foul penalties to back them up to their own 20, then he throws an 80 yard TD pass, wouldn’t he get credit for 178 yards passing on that drive?
I don't know the answer to all this banter, but to your situation, yes I do believe the QB gets the credit for all those yards but I think the drive itself is considered to be a 99 yard drive when all is said and done. His stats for the game would include the 178 and they don't break that down into a drive of 178yards. Just a guess though.

Reactions: Harryo the K

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't know the answer to all this banter, but to your situation, yes I do believe the QB gets the credit for all those yards but I think the drive itself is considered to be a 99 yard drive when all is said and done. His stats for the game would include the 178 and they don't break that down into a drive of 178yards. Just a guess though.
That makes mathematical sense. The negative yards on the drive would factor into all the positive yards.

Reactions: Gill Man

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
The biggest losers of the nfl season?

Tv execs

The numbers are going to start tanking hard next week.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The biggest losers of the nfl season?

Tv execs

The numbers are going to start tanking hard next week.
oh yeah,,,,they now gotta start looking at the QB situation in particular. All they need is more star QB's to go down. The Steelers and Saints are huge losses at QB. Brees looks to be 6 weeks at least and Rapist out for the year. Then other star players at other positions. Not good for business. So they'll get more rules to protect players and the bottom line, further diluting a game that has become a shell of it's former self. Pitiful really. And players that keep leaving games due to injury? A lot of those are injuries players simply played thru in another era. Not now. It's gotten too commercialized.....the almighty dollar controls the sport now and the owners keep salivating more each year over the potential for more revenue. As I said I cannot sit thru a game anymore...I just watch snippets of highlights on NFLN....and their coverage is horrible btw....they can't even follow action that is red zone action in close games...they cut to games that are already blowouts and replay highlights from an hour and a half ago.....so stupid it's not even funny....maybe they are trying to force folks to buy RedZone? What a scam.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Speaking of star QB injuries....the league held it's collective breath when Mahomes came up slightly limping after a hit early in week 1's game. I was holding my breath anyways since that guy will beat the spanoses with either arm. Glad he came out of it ok...but it looked like it could have been something that would be a lingering injury. So far so good with that guy.....awesome yesterday.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Since everyone is on mobile devices, phones, pads, etc. these days, what do these TV numbers actually mean? The NFL wants you connected to all its products at the same time (eg. vis an app and carrier) so you buy the League wide products, beer, Verizon, Allstate insurance, etc. Local stations eg. CBS LA, want data yes but Leaguewide it's selling to most folks at once.
True there are multiple media involved now however that does not mean the TV numbers are meaningless. I would bet and even worse ratio applies across all media, and in fact the TV numbers are even more damning for spanos because those are local #'s in the SoCal market no? The other media are nationwide and are likely much much worse for spanos whose team is even more irrelevant nationally than they are in SoCal. The only relevant market he had was SD and he walked out on it. Dumbass.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
He gets the personal yardage but the entire drive started at the one yard line, didn't it?
It's one drive, starting point to ending point. But everyone nowadays has their own statistical
'Projections.'

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
True there are multiple media involved now however that does not mean the TV numbers are meaningless. I would bet and even worse ratio applies across all media, and in fact the TV numbers are even more damning for spanos because those are local #'s in the SoCal market no? The other media are nationwide and are likely much much worse for spanos whose team is even more irrelevant nationally than they are in SoCal. The only relevant market he had was SD and he walked out on it. Dumbass.
Yes.

Tv numbers drive advertising dollars which turn drives what the tv execs will pay for football.