New Chargers Unis Premiere Tomorrow

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
They look cool, way better than the upside down bolt ones. But Spanos run organization doesnt move the needle for me. Seems like we were asking for something like tbis in SD, and were constantly ignored.
Gotta disagree.....that is not what folks were asking for in SD......IIRC we asked for the real throwback powder blues and spanos refused, Finally he relented and did his own watered down version sorta like these. I think these are actually WORSE than what he had before. Spanos has always done that. The unis Q liked and many loved from the Air Coryell years , spanos trashed right away when he took ownership and started with the hideous dark blue crap. He followed with canning Don Coryell and Dan Fouts. That was what spanos always did....had to make sure everyone , including the fans, knew whose team it was. It certainly was never the team of the SD fans if spanos had anything to say about it. EFF THEM.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
also gotta agree with the commentor.."the numbers on the side of the helmet are hideous" :laugh: They truly are. Fugly and ruin the helmet entirely. What a joke. Clown outfits for a clownshow.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
also gotta agree with the commentor.."the numbers on the side of the helmet are hideous" :laugh: They truly are. Fugly and ruin the helmet entirely. What a joke. Clown outfits for a clownshow.
The numbers on the side of the helmet look ridiculous (unlike the old school numbers which looked great) and the bolt looks really cartoonish, like something you’d see Saturday morning on that old show Shazam.

7D614F27-7515-4197-AD2C-5411E07E36C0.jpeg

Reactions: Gill Man

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
That is one of the few things I like.

But if they were still in SD you all would be slurping it up the same way the new LA fans are...

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, percetion is reality, and your perception was tainted by a drippy snotasaurus of an owner.

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
Think I'm the only one on TPB that thinks this didn't live up to the hype. I prefer the navy uniforms over this shitty shade of blue. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the shade of blue didn't change. That's a deal-breaker for me.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

But if they were still in SD you all would be slurping it up the same way the new LA fans are...

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt, percetion is reality, and your perception was tainted by a drippy snotasaurus of an owner.
They are ugly Conc.....plastic looking. The old black numerals far better. The old off white helmet with grey facemask far better. Glad you like your team's uni's. They are not my team and am glad since the ownership never does anything for the fans, only for themselves. Always been that way. If they were in SD as you say I'd be PIZZED at what they did to ruin the helmet and unis. They hype was for powder blues.....it is a major underachievement in that regard. Of course us long time San Diegans here from the start in 1962 always preferred the real throwback colors and style....we were proud of those unis like no others....Chris Berman had it right on. This is so far removed from that it's sickening....but they are no longer SD's team or SD's problem so really you are right, why should we even give a flying fuck, other than we old timers miss the good ol' days before spanos? ( and actually missed the good ol' days before dumbass Klein too).

Last edited:

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
perhaps some like.....not me. They are ugly Conc.....plastic looking. The old black numerals far better. The old off white helmet with grey facemask far better. Glad you like your team's uni's. They are not my team and am glad since the ownership never does anything for the fans, only for themselves. Always been that way.
Now where did I say I like them?
Same ole shit, different day.

The Spanos went simple, refurbed the past, did not try an make a splash.

Tell the truth, I was hoping they would use this opportunity to completely rebrand. Do something unique, but in typical Spanos manner, they did as little as possible.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Now where did I say I like them?
Same ole shit, different day.

The Spanos went simple, refurbed the past, did not try an make a splash.

Tell the truth, I was hoping they would use this opportunity to completely rebrand. Do something unique, but in typical Spanos manner, they did as little as possible.
agree.....thanks for clarifying. See my added comments to my original reply.

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
agree.....thanks for clarifying. See my added comments to my original reply.
The onyl thing I said was the shoulder bolts are at least better.

I HATE the black, Raider wana be unis.

I like the all white, powder blue and yellow, and royal blues.

'Like' as in, if that is what I have... ok...

I have always liked the numbers on the helmets, color of the numbers doesn't change much for me.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
To me the problem with the numerals is they are too bulky and therefore a bit difficult to read from afar....up close no problem to decipher. Also they just create too much business on the helmet design. The numerals on classic helmets like PITT, SD Throwbacks, and literally any other numerals I've seen, college and pro, are either smaller or if large are not as bulky. And numerals ideally create a contrast that just seems to fit....whether they are on the sides or front/back. The old throwback black thinlined numerals were just so classic and easy to read and easy on the eye plus made for a unique uniform and helmet in particular that was timeless. Not for the spanii though. They had better ideas apparently....they are legendary designers in their own minds.

Reactions: Concudan

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
meh, enjoy your new unis LA fans. Not bitter just don't understand the hype, maybe because it's no longer my team. I guarantee though if they were still in SD it would have been a letdown given the hype preceding the rollout. I think Conc right....they should have gone to a rebrand uniform....well didn't necessarily have to rebrand (although that would have been ideal from a business standpoint), but an entirely new color scheme.....say gold/blue like notre dame or something like that. That actually could look really cool.....gold helmet with white bolt surrounded by navy blue.....and gold pants dark blue jersey with white numerals and surrounded by gold. Definitely should switch to black shoes. The Niners had white shoes andnow most of the players wear black and they are really sharp and look a lot tougher. Same with Seahawk, Packers, many teams now. GTFO with the stupid Joe Willy white shoes or white shoes Johnson look. Passe'. JMHO.

Fouts

Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
Gotta disagree.....that is not what folks were asking for in SD......IIRC we asked for the real throwback powder blues and spanos refused, Finally he relented and did his own watered down version sorta like these. I think these are actually WORSE than what he had before. Spanos has always done that. The unis Q liked and many loved from the Air Coryell years , spanos trashed right away when he took ownership and started with the hideous dark blue crap. He followed with canning Don Coryell and Dan Fouts. That was what spanos always did....had to make sure everyone , including the fans, knew whose team it was. It certainly was never the team of the SD fans if spanos had anything to say about it. EFF THEM.
Gotta disagree with you, Royal Blue. Yellow pants, Air Coryell era for me. If I was a fan this is a dramatic improvement over the last shit show uniforms.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017

Yeah, and if Jesus was still walking around, we'd all be church goers.

Reactions: handoverfist

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Gotta disagree with you, Royal Blue. Yellow pants, Air Coryell era for me. If I was a fan this is a dramatic improvement over the last shit show uniforms.
I can relate to those fans who began their Bolt fandom during the coryell years. And I guess it also could pertain to the inaugural fans too just based on individual taste. But I just remember the announcers (particularly berman lolz) gushing over the old throwbacks. It made me proud. Why the spanii never rolled those out as a uniform (down to every last detail) is beyond me. The games they DID use them were incredible. They looked like they could kick ass on any team. Something about those black numerals on the helmet and matching the black shoes.......then in between with the gold or white pants and deep powder blue (not baby blue as now) made them classic. The slightly offwhite helmet is also a classic piece of art all the way down to the grey facemask. Classic as in Packers or Browns or any other classic NFL uniform, and the best of the bunch at that. :tup:

Another thing: how the spanii could not have parlayed those old throwbacks into a money machine in merchandising is beyond me. WTF. The whole nation loved em! How can you not see that? How can you not roll those out and get the whole country behind your uniforms if for nothing else than it makes simple good business sense? Not the spanii. Too stupid. Clownshow.

Reactions: Fender57

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Another thing: how the spanii could not have parlayed those old throwbacks into a money machine in merchandising is beyond me. WTF. The whole nation loved em! How can you not see that? How can you not roll those out and get the whole country behind your uniforms if for nothing else than it makes simple good business sense? Not the spanii. Too stupid. Clownshow.
Simple. People don't want to be associated with losers.

Chicago Bulls? Yes. NE Patriots? Yes. Pittsburgh Penguins? Yes.
Chokers? No and no. People would rather wear Raider gear and get pulled over.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Think I'm the only one on TPB that thinks this didn't live up to the hype. I prefer the navy uniforms over this shitty shade of blue. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the shade of blue didn't change. That's a deal-breaker for me.
I never used the shade and the color of a team's uniform as terms in my deal as a fan!
You mean, you were ok with them putting a shitty product on the field, year after year, while all the time threatening to move the team and finally delivering on the threat by moving the team to a rival city just up the coast...but the shade of blue is what broke the deal for you??

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

losers at football and losers at the merchandising and business side of football. Dumbasses. They embarrass themselves and have destroyed the bolt brand. They need to give it up and send it back where it belongs for some future owner who might know at least something about how to build a winning culture.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I never used the shade and the color of a team's uniform as terms in my deal as a fan!
You mean, you were ok with them putting a shitty product on the field, year after year, while all the time threatening to move the team and finally delivering on the threat by moving the team to a rival city just up the coast...but the shade of blue is what broke the deal for you??
Maybe it's just the 'straw that broke the camel's back?" Bolts will one day be in Iraq or Saudi Arabia so the analogy is appropriate. At that point they'll have camel tan unis and 2 humps on the side of the helmet, difficult to discern from a pair of tits. For now enjoy the powder baby pussy blue of LA while it lasts. LOL

Reactions: handoverfist

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006

How many years did you associate with the Chargers?

Your hindsight, and angstvision puts you square in the sights of your snarkitude....

• Haha

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
How many years did you associate with the Chargers?

Your hindsight, and angstvision puts you square in the sights of your snarkitude....
I learn from my mistakes.

Others march blindly on.

And they are losers. No half ass losers like 49ers...great...bad...great again.
No, flat out decades long.
Losers. In LA, probably snakes are more popular.

• Haha

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I learn from my mistakes.

Others march blindly on.

And they are losers. No half ass losers like 49ers...great...bad...great again.
No, flat out decades long.
Losers. In LA, probably snakes are more popular.
Only took you 50 some odd years?

Not sure that is brag worthy my friend! ;)

Concudan

Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
What good are new uniforms...............................if nobody is in the stands to see them?
What are you talking about...

Of course people will be in the stands!

And the oppositions fans will get to see the new unis!

Reactions: DFWBoltFan

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Really, don’t they only need the road uniforms given they play all 16 games as the visiting team?