• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NcNeil Impressed Shottenheimer

Rookie does well with job on line

By Jay Posner
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 20, 2006

It isn't only Roman Oben's surgically repaired left foot that is preventing the Chargers from naming a starting left tackle.

It's also the play of rookie Marcus McNeill, the team's second-round draft choice.

Oben surely will be the starter if he is healthy enough, but the 11-year veteran has yet to participate in a practice this summer and only 22 days remain until the Sept. 11 season opener in Oakland.

That leaves journeyman Leander Jordan – who started the final eight games last season – competing against McNeill. Both played the position in Friday's exhibition game at Chicago, and coach Marty Schottenheimer left no doubt yesterday who impressed him.

“Marcus got some time against their No. 1 defensive front and we all know they're pretty good and he gave a very good accounting of himself,” Schottenheimer said. “I think to this juncture he's passed each test.”

The coach didn't dismiss the idea the Chargers could begin the season with a rookie left tackle.

“The competition is still wide open over there,” said Schottenheimer, adding that one reason Jordan was shifted from left to right tackle near the end of the first quarter was that if the veteran winds up being a backup, he'll have to be able to play both sides.

Click here for the entire article

WonderSlug

Let McNeill start and learn the ropes right away if Oben can't make it.

Jordan, as has been said by quite a few people is marginal at the OT spot, and better suited for an OG position.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Electric Chair said:
Get the kid some serious reps and prepare him to be the starter.

Jordan makes me want to puke.
i counted at least four plays where he was either abused like a hoe in prison or where he flat out missed his assignments. McNeil needs work, no question, but I liked his skill pass blocking against Alex Brown (which is no small feat).

Trumpet_Man

I said it in the podcast and I will say it until the cows come home - McNeill needs to win this job.

Leander Jordan should not be a starter - anywhere in the NFL.

Trumpet_Man said:
I said it in the podcast and I will say it until the cows come home - McNeill needs to win this job.

Leander Jordan should not be a starter - anywhere in the NFL.
Give him to the Raiders. He might be an upgrade over Gallery. :lol:

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Trumpet_Man said:
As much as it pains me to say this, we need him for depth because Lekekree...and Mzcursjkis just do not float my boat.

I'd rather take the unprounceables
Mrzucowski is a backup guard/center, that he got ANY work at RT was probably as an emergency (God FORBID!)
I like Lekkerkerker, he's done pretty well for himself and hasn't been abused

Trumpet_Man said:
As much as it pains me to say this, we need him for depth because Lekekree...and Mzcursjkis just do not float my boat.
You are of course correct, but there's the problem. We need more O-Line depth badly.

WonderSlug

Electric Chair said:
Well Mr Funny, for that remark I am going to steal one of your trophies in the arcade. :yes:
Take the Santa's Factory one. I don't want to be associated with a queer game like that. :lol:

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
I miss fat fonoti's glory days :no: Let's dump the entire line and start from scratch:

LT Bryant McKinnie
LG Toniu Fonoti
C Ryan Cook
RG Max Jean Gilles
RT Mike Williams

Ride The Lightning

Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.
WonderSlug said:
Let McNeill start and learn the ropes right away if Oben can't make it.

Jordan, as has been said by quite a few people is marginal at the OT spot, and better suited for an OG position.
I think he's better suited for a flipping burgers position.

That guy is a TURD.

AnteaterRaider

Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
MtlBoltsFan said:
I miss fat fonoti's glory days :no: Let's dump the entire line and start from scratch:

LT Bryant McKinnie
LG Toniu Fonoti
C Ryan Cook
RG Max Jean Gilles
RT Mike Williams

LT Marcus McNeil
LG Eric Steinbach
C: Nick Hardwick
RG: Kris Dielman
RT: Doug Free

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
PostAnteaterCharger said:
LT Marcus McNeil
LG Eric Steinbach
C: Nick Hardwick
RG: Kris Dielman
RT: Doug Free
I love Doug Free :icon_mrgreen: But there's not enough beef there. My o-line: 1800 pounds yours: 1500 pounds :icon_banana: I say we get my beef and put LT at quarterback and run the triple option. Trade Rivers for Jonathan Vilma :icon_rofl:

Ride The Lightning said:
I think he's better suited for a flipping burgers position.

That guy is a TURD.
I would have to guess but the chargers will use their 2nd rounder next year on an o-tackle. The first pick will either be for a d-back or jamalls backup until he retires and then our new nose tackle in the future. The chargers may go inside linebacker. But I think they can find a good one later in the draft.

I have two players that are on my radar for possibly next year. ONe is d-back from LSU Landry. And the other is d-tackle from michigan Alan branch who's just a junior so he might not come out next year.

Electric Chair

MtlBoltsFan said:
I love Doug Free :icon_mrgreen: But there's not enough beef there. My o-line: 1800 pounds yours: 1500 pounds :icon_banana: I say we get my beef and put LT at quarterback and run the triple option. Trade Rivers for Jonathan Vilma :icon_rofl:
:icon_rofl: :icon_party: :icon_tease: :nana_rasta:

Hey I just noticed Shammy has his own smiley! :clover:

Trumpet_Man

eldwin said:
I went back and watched the game again. McNeil looked solid in pass protection. He'll only get better from here.

I hope the switch is permanent!:tup:
Yeah me too.

Shammy still likes Jordan and I think the diesel fumes have affected his sensibilities. :yes:

WonderSlug

Electric Chair said:
Has anyone ever seen Shammy and Marty in the room at the same time?

EDIT: I think I'm too buzzed to find the suspicious smiley. :unsure:
You mean..... :huh:

You think Shammy may be Marty? As much as Marty likes Donnie and as much as Shammy hates him?
:lol: