Merriman's performance has sparked another huge argument amongst Cowboy fans:

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63678

Some of them are starting to regret the Ware draft pick, while some are still firmly clinging to their denial, and saying things like "Merriman is one-dimensional" and "he only beats running-backs" and "if Ware was in that defense he'd have even more sacks!"

Some people can recognize awesome talent when they see it, and some can't.

Here's an example of their golden logic:

He (Merriman) has almost never beaten a tackle for a sack. Only twice in his career has he flat-out beaten a tackle to the quarterback -- and on both of those, he got lucky after the quarterback got away from him. Last year against the Colts, Merriman beat Ryan Diem, but Manning got away from him. Then Luis Castillo sacked him, and Merriman jumped on top. Merriman was credited with half a sack. And last night, Merriman beat Robert Gallery but whiffed on Brooks. Brooks got away, saw Shaun Phillips coming and scrambled right into Merriman, who was on the ground. That's it for Merriman flat-out beating offensive tackles in his career.

Merriman gets more sacks, but I don't buy for a second that he's a better pass-rusher. If half of Ware's sacks came when quarterbacks were trying to get away from other pass-rushers, I wouldn't consider him the same level of pass-rusher as he actually is right now. Unfortunately for him, he hasn't had the luxury of racking up cheap sacks.

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
Thunderstruck said:

Some of them are starting to regret the Ware draft pick, while some are still firmly clinging to their denial, and saying things like "Merriman is one-dimensional" and "he only beats running-backs" and "if Ware was in that defense he'd have even more sacks!"

I guess the genius forgot about the play where Merriman beat Willie Roaf, lost his helmet, and forced Trent Green to fumble. :icon_shrug:

exodus

Nov 4, 2005
Who cares. They got more pressing problems, like finding a donor for broken pieces of Bedsore.

glutton4Bolts

BoltTalker
Aug 27, 2006
Thunderstruck said:

Serious denial here..... I firmly believe Ware will be a solid DE in this league... and may find himself in a few probowls, but Merriman is gonna attain performance at a completely different level. He has the ability to be the best ever! Thats saying a lot, but his talent is simply out of this world..... I worship AJ, and God bless the San Diego Super Chargers!

Electric Chair

May 23, 2006
It's funny how we never have that discussion. It's a complete non-topic because we already know who got the better player.

O'reilly

Aug 29, 2005
Delusional Cowgirl fan makes delusional Raturd fan seem like a downright realist...:lol:

There is no more delusional fan in the NFL than Cowgirl fan...

:icon_high:

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
WonderSlug said:
It's the same with the Vick-L.T. thing and Falconites. :yes:
:yes: With both the LT and Vick deal and the Merriman & Ware thing the San Diego Chargers won out in both instances and to me that is the best medicine there is.

Both John Butler and AJ Smith were and are geniuses at the Draft and I could care less what the Cowgirls and Falconites think because they can biitchh all they want and both teams do not have the genius of a GM that the San Diego Chargers have at evaluating talent.

So let them biitchh, moan and groan.

I love it.:yes:

LittleTrain

BoltTalker
Jul 31, 2006
Ware never crosses my mind. It sounds like Merriman might be to the cowboy fans what Troy P. is to the Charger fans. They are all water under the bridge now. Just enough this squad that AJ has pieced together.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
Thunderstruck said:

Does not compute, throw the case out!
Merriman is the best
Ware is good but not as good

TheLash

Aug 8, 2006
I'm just glad he's ours! They had the dude of fox sports during my drive home and thats the raiders station here in LA. Even they were giving him mad props. He amde sure to mention they were doing the bull dance in Foley's honor:bolt:

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Some of those guys are saying that Merriman got to be matched up against a RB most of the time, while Ware had to handle an OT.

Well, how about Merriman was so fast that he blew by Gallery a lot of times and Lamont Jordan was forced to play "emergency blocker", and not a good one at that? :icon_mrgreen:

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
WonderSlug said:
Some of those guys are saying that Merriman got to be matched up against a RB most of the time, while Ware had to handle an OT.

Well, how about Merriman was so fast that he blew by Gallery a lot of times and Lamont Jordan was forced to play "emergency blocker", and not a good one at that? :icon_mrgreen:
I have never heard Ms. Trumpie use the word "destroyed" in describing us kicking anyone's ass.

Gallery was ABUSED AND RAPED....MOTHER Fugger got VIOLATED.

I busted up laughing when the back up QB came in so soon.

Dude that game was over after the 6th play (the shot by McCree) set the tone and the Raiders folded......they fuggin FOLDED !!! :lol:

I love it !!!!!!! :icon_banana: :icon_toast: :icon_party: :bolt:

Boltjolt

Jun 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
Thunderstruck said:

Yeah i saw that guy in the Redskins forum and we had quite a banter there about this.
He says Merriman had not beatin any OT's for his sacks , therefore his sacks are from help of teammates or coverage sacks.

I explained to him that Merriman missed every minicamp and the start of TC and it just went over his head and had none of it.
He is a real douche and obviously a Ware homer but who cares. Merriman beat tackles last night and had 3 sacks.

Who cares....our guy is a beast and plays with fire.

I told the homer since he didnt like Merimans sacks while everybody else but him thinks he will be a great player and picked him for ROY...he should go review all of Lawrence Taylors sacks and let me know how many he didnt approve of while he as voted i the HOF.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
Boltjolt said:
Yeah i saw that guy in the Redskins forum and we had quite a banter there about this.
He says Merriman had not beatin any OT's for his sacks , therefore his sacks are from help of teammates or coverage sacks.

I explained to him that Merriman missed every minicamp and the start of TC and it just went over his head and had none of it.
He is a real douche and obviously a Ware homer but who cares. Merriman beat tackles last night and had 3 sacks.

Who cares....our guy is a beast and plays with fire.

I told the homer since he didnt like Merimans sacks while everybody else but him thinks he will be a great player and picked him for ROY...he should go review all of Lawrence Taylors sacks and let me know how many he didnt approve of while he as voted i the HOF.
Exactly.

Here's a hint to the myopic Cowgirl fans: When you're the only people in the universe who do not think Merriman is the second-coming of Attila the Hun, it means you're probably guilty of being reckless homers.

Lots of people in the national media, for what that's worth, believe Merriman is the odds-on favorite to be defensive player of the year in the NFL. Never hear anyone say that about Ware.

To me it kind of goes back to that old Donnie Edwards argument--if a player doesn't make impact plays, is he truly great? Ware does make impact plays, but not nearly as many as Merriman.

Trumpet_Man

Feb 14, 2006
Thunderstruck said:
Exactly.

Here's a hint to the myopic Cowgirl fans: When you're the only people in the universe who do not think Merriman is the second-coming of Attila the Hun, it means you're probably guilty of being reckless homers.

Lots of people in the national media, for what that's worth, believe Merriman is the odds-on favorite to be defensive player of the year in the NFL. Never hear anyone say that about Ware.

To me it kind of goes back to that old Donnie Edwards argument--if a player doesn't make impact plays, is he truly great? Ware does make impact plays, but not nearly as many as Merriman.
Same could be said for a Charlie Joiner. He was not flashy but he got the job done but not as nearly as impactful as John Jefferson.

mapcap55

BoltTalker
Aug 21, 2006
Trumpet_Man said:
Same could be said for a Charlie Joiner. He was not flashy but he got the job done but not as nearly as impactful as John Jefferson.
There were a lot of Jefferson plays that were made possible by a clutch catch by joiner on third down to extend the drive...

Not as flashy, no. But every bit as much impactful...