Melvin Gordon at the Super Bowl - “San Diego would have supported us”

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Concudan

CPiSS (Chargers Post Season Syndrome)
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Well he is not wrong.

Before the move Ray and I talked and he said the Chargers could not grow a fan base in LA. I claimed they could, but it would take 5 to 10 years. They would be starting from scratch.

Of course one thing I did not take into account was the Spanos impact. They have done just about everything they could to taint the team, and alienate the old fans and the possible new.

Rome was not built in a day, as MG said. But I think it would be easier to rebuild the coliseum by hand than for the Spanos to figure out how to woo fans.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Good on Melvin.....he's always been straight up and not afraid to speak his mind re: the move away from SD. Cannot say that really about any other chugger player, although PR did at least mention and acknowledge his sorrow at leaving SD and also is a bit more subtle at hinting SD would have supported that team in a better manner. Also I'm blanking on his name but the starting C in 2016-17 who was prominent in trying to Save Our Bolts, was the most outspoken and summarily got released IIRC. Just imagine if the season of 2018 had been played in SD rather than having 16 away games. The home town spirit would have resurfaced as it did in 2006 and 2009 and 1994. How many additional wins would it have meant and what would the seed have been? Would they have been able to play against NE in SD rather than at NE? Could they have reached the SB with a high seed? One will never know but it is assured they didn't do themselves any favors by playing in that hellhole. It is unlikely they will EVER build a fanbase in LA like they had in SD and would in particular have had if the dumbass spanos family had been halfway competent owners and put a quality complete team on the field. They never really did that.....not really, there were always holes on the team that could be exploited by the juggernaut complete teams of the league. Sad. Glad they are gone and are getting what they deserve. FUDEAN.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
I've always said/felt that the San Diego Chargers two best things they had going for them
was Rivers and a dangerous passing attack and home field advantage.
I thought even on the road, their identity was the San Diego...Chargers....vs.
.....the Kansas City.......Chiefs. You remove those items and you don't have much.
No brilliant coaching, no long winning history, no top notch management.

Last edited:

wrbanwal

Dec 27, 2005
Well he is not wrong.

Before the move Ray and I talked and he said the Chargers could not grow a fan base in LA. I claimed they could, but it would take 5 to 10 years. They would be starting from scratch.

Of course one thing I did not take into account was the Spanos impact. They have done just about everything they could to taint the team, and alienate the old fans and the possible new.

Rome was not built in a day, as MG said. But I think it would be easier to rebuild the coliseum by hand than for the Spanos to figure out how to woo fans.
the fudeans are the taint of the nfl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Well he is not wrong.

The L.A. Spanos Taints

Fouts

Aug 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
No, they wouldn't they only got 43% of the vote for corporate welfare, in a above and beyond run prop C campaign. Also, if us fans weren't convinced by the very approachable, and reasonable Mark Fabiani, then there is no hope! Esp, since the Spanos family runs a model org. with many playoff appearances, and money spent to upgrade Qualcomm.

cocasts

BoltTalker
Jun 1, 2018
FU Hairball.

He’s on twitter saying fans wouldn’t support Bosa holding out for an extension because they wouldn’t support him.

He’s too stupid or full of himself to recognize fans don’t hold him in the same high regard as Bosa.

Get lost Hairball.

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Well he is not wrong.

They need to rebrand to have a shot.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
They need to rebrand to have a shot.
They are too stupid to rebrand.

They are stupid.

If they rebrand, they will try the LA Football Lakes or the Dodgy Bolts.

He and his entire family are stupid.

from 2017...

Many of the repeated failures we have had to witness as Chargers fans during Spanos’ tenure are the sort of things you could overlook if they were the occasional missteps of a legitimate organization hough it appears they fired Pagano and let him know through the press because the Spanos family is pure class).

For those Chargers fans that will be able to let go of the team now that it has moved to Los Angeles, at least they will band the Chargers are not a legitimate organization. They are a terribly run franchise that cannot help but reflect its leadership at every level. Dean Spanos’ smug idiocy and barely concealed contempt for the fans has been clearly communicated by his public relations department (who can forget the chill pill fiasco?). And his complete unwillingness to accept responsibility for his own failures was surely reflected in the attitudes of the coaching staff, n. But the Chargers’ missteps have not been occasional. They have been continuous. And specifically the recently fired Mike McCoy and the long since overdue for firing John Pagano (and let him know through the press because the Spanos family is pure class).

For those Chargers fans that will be able to let go of the team now that it has moved to Los Angeles, at least they will be rid of the embarrassment that is Dean Spanos.

Gill Man

Inaugural SAN DIEGO Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
lolz Harry......"the LA Football Lakes or the Dodgy Bolts"........they are a very inventive talented family those spanii are. LMAO.