• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mcneill is the new starter

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#6
MtlBoltsFan said:
Three cheers for the waistbender. Although I do prefer him over Lean-ander Jordan :icon_rofl:
He can bend from his ankles just as long as he keeps those massive man pillows between Rivers and the oncoming rush.

I think this is more an example of a guy playing himself out of a job (Jordan) than a guy playing himself into one. Either way, I think McNeill is an immediate upgrade at the position.:tup:
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#7
The guy had 40+ games in college where he did not allow a defender to sack the QB.......I hope it carries over to the NFL real real quick. Real quick.

I was praying somehow they just give him the majority of the first team reps one way or another before the season starts. The blitzes to his side will be relentless as it should.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#9
Electric Chair said:
Phew!

Now please be ready for the season Roman Oben!
If Oben comes back, I vote to put him at right tackle.

He is way way better than the "stubby armed one" at RT and then move stubs to guard. :bolt:
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#12
Thumper said:
I just heard this on 1090. This is great news that McNeil is coming around so quickly. He seems humble an just wants to get better.
I can see his talent on the field by the way he moves.

When run blocking, he needs way better situational awareness and the ability to read and react much faster and this only happens with reps.

Again, he has the tools to do it and is quick for a gorilla his size which caught my eye at the first game. He was able to move his lard *** with some speed.
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
#13
Trumpet_Man said:
I can see his talent on the field by the way he moves.

When run blocking, he needs way better situational awareness and the ability to read and react much faster and this only happens with reps.

Again, he has the tools to do it and is quick for a gorilla his size which caught my eye at the first game. He was able to move his lard *** with some speed.
if your that big and can run with linebackers, you cease to be a lard ***
 

RMANCIL

Well-Known Member
#15
McNeil will improve in time in the run game. He will be a little weak at the point of attack due to his back injury slowing his weight room work outs in college.

Still he will get down field better than any OL we have and his quickness and reflexes will allow him along with continuing work on his fundamentals to be our best pass protector especially vs speed rushers.

You can teach the fundamentals but you can't teach the reflexes either you have them or you don't and he has them.
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#18
Trumpet_Man said:
If Oben comes back, I vote to put him at right tackle.

He is way way better than the "stubby armed one" at RT and then move stubs to guard. :bolt:
Marty was praising Olivea yesterday. Said he's had a terrific camp. Seeing Olivea in practice, he looks like he's put on some muscle. I really like Shane. Stubby arms or no, he's a warrior.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#21
boltssbbound said:
Marty was praising Olivea yesterday. Said he's had a terrific camp. Seeing Olivea in practice, he looks like he's put on some muscle. I really like Shane. Stubby arms or no, he's a warrior.
Shane is a liability. Warrior heart or not he is a liability.

Fans have become soft and acceptant of mediocrity on the O-Line.

It is not acceptable to marginally get by and that has been the prevalent attitude of mgt and the fans.

A right tackle shuts his side down as does a left tackle.

You either have the measurables or you do not. He does not. He is not tall enough nor has the wing span to hand punch a defender coming off the edge nor does he move well enough to compensate for these deficiencies. Technique and angles will take you and this team only so far then it is sayonara baby. Finito. Checkmate.
 
#28
Trumpet_Man said:
If Oben comes back, I vote to put him at right tackle.

He is way way better than the "stubby armed one" at RT and then move stubs to guard. :bolt:
your hate for Olivea equals mine for Jammer.... and neither one of em can catch a cold... :lol:
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#29
Trumpet_Man said:
Shane is a liability. Warrior heart or not he is a liability.

Fans have become soft and acceptant of mediocrity on the O-Line.

It is not acceptable to marginally get by and that has been the prevalent attitude of mgt and the fans.

A right tackle shuts his side down as does a left tackle.

You either have the measurables or you do not. He does not. He is not tall enough nor has the wing span to hand punch a defender coming off the edge nor does he move well enough to compensate for these deficiencies. Technique and angles will take you and this team only so far then it is sayonara baby. Finito. Checkmate.
Some fans think that no one can excel at a position unless they have prototypical size and all-pro skills. Luckily, our GM is not one of those guys.

Shane is a very good player. He is not the liability that you think he is, neither is Goff or Dielman.

I don't accept mediocrity. I just don't see these guys as mediocre. I see them as very solid.

I know you want all-pros at every position, including third string right tackle, but that is not realistic.

How many sacks has Olivea allowed the last two seasons because of his deficiencies? In Olivea's rookie year, we were near the top of the league in sacks allowed. I don't think we could have accomplished that if Olivea was the matador you make him out to be.

Olivea is going to be our starting RT for the next 5-10 years. Get used to it.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#30
SanDiegoRon said:
your hate for Olivea equals mine for Jammer.... and neither one of em can catch a cold... :lol:
Holy crap...there is no way you hate Jammer as much as I hate Olivea.....that runs way deep if so...way deep. :icon_eek:

Jammer will continue to open your eyes and this year - dude will shine - even more so.

Mc Cree and/or Hart can play FS so this weighs in on a corners mindset to take chances.

I can not understand how fans can be polar opposites on a players skill set. :icon_huh:

I guess its what makes the game interesting because the list of "I told you so's" are endless. :icon_banana:
 

Top