Matsushita to sell 103-inch plasma TVs

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13798647/

Reuters News Services
Updated: 6:18 a.m. PT July 10, 2006

TOKYO - Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd., the maker of Panasonic brand electronics, said on Monday it planned to launch the world's largest plasma television by the end of the year.

Measuring 2.4 meters by 1.4 meters (94 by 55 in) and weighing 215 kg (473 lb.), the 103-inch (measured diagonally) panel is bigger than a double-sized mattress and almost as heavy as an upright piano.

The world's largest consumer electronics maker has yet to set the price, but Matsushita's 65-inch plasma TVs, its largest available now, sell for about $7,500 in Japan.

The plasma panel used in the Matsushita TV will be just one-inch larger measured diagonally than a 102-inch model developed by Samsung SDI Co. Ltd. The South Korean company has not launched the model commercially.

Matsushita is the world's largest plasma TV maker competing with smaller rivals such as South Korea's LG Electronics Inc.

As liquid crystal display TVs encroach on the market for 40-inch TVs and above -- which had previously seen as plasma TV's turf -- developing even larger-sized panels is important for plasma TV makers to remain competitive.

Matsushita also said it had started taking orders for the 103-inch panels in the United States for business use, such as studio monitors at broadcasting companies and electronic billboards, and planned to deliver them from this autumn.

Matsushita aims to sell 5,000 units of 103-inch panels a year, with TV demand accounting for little less than 20 percent, which can be calculated into annual sales of some 1,000 103-inch TVs.

The new panels will meet full high-definition specifications, meaning they can produce images at the highest standard of 1,920 by 1,080 pixels of resolution.

Osaka-based Matsushita controlled 21.6 percent of the global plasma TV market in the January-March quarter, followed by LG Electronics with 17.8 percent, according to DisplaySearch.

Shares of Matsushita closed up 1.5 percent at 2,390 yen, outstripping the Tokyo stock market's electrical machinery index IELEC, which gained 1.2 percent.

KimPossible

BoltTalker
Jun 23, 2006
That's huge...I wonder as these plasma's get bigger and bigger and bigger if the picture suffers....

Wonder what it will cost...$$$

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
KimPossible said:
That's huge...I wonder as these plasma's get bigger and bigger and bigger if the picture suffers....

Wonder what it will cost...$$$
Probably the equivalent of a decent house ($400K +).

Samsung's 80-inch plasmas retail for about $150,000. :icon_eek:

REgarding the picture size and quality, it depends on the pixel-size.

If that thing is set at 1920 pixels across. Take 2.4 meters -> 240 cm and divide by 1920. Each pixel is thus 1.25 mm.

Compare that to a PC CRT monitor where the dot pitch (pixel size) is about 0.25 mm.

However, you are much closer to a PC monitor than this behometh. You are typically 2 feet away from a PC monitor.

With this, you would be about 16 feet away, thus making the pixels the same size and quality "visually".

KimPossible

BoltTalker
Jun 23, 2006
WonderSlug said:
REgarding the picture size, it depends on the pixel-size.

If that thing is set at 1920 pixels across. Take 2.4 meters -> 240 cm and divide by 1920. Each pixel is thus 1.25 mm.

Compare that to a PC CRT monitor where the dot pitch (pixel size) is about 0.25 mm.

However, you are much closer to a PC monitor than this behometh. You are typically 2 feet away from a PC monitor.

With this, you would be about 16 feet away, thus making the pixels the same size and quality "visually".
You better have a BIG room to put this beast in lol....:icon_eek: Since their 65 inch is a bargain $7500 maybe this one will only be 40 or 50K...:icon_eek: It would be fun to have a huge home theatre with great surround sound to go with your 103 in plasma!

It would take watching 24 and HBO to a whole new level...

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
KimPossible said:
You better have a BIG room to put this beast in lol....:icon_eek: Since their 65 inch is a bargain $7500 maybe this one will only be 40 or 50K...:icon_eek: It would be fun to have a huge home theatre with great surround sound to go with your 103 in plasma!

It would take watching 24 and HBO to a whole new level...
Nope this one will cost as much as a house.

Samsung's 80 inch plasma retails for $150,000.

There isn't a linear cost increase when the size increases. It's a compounded factor.

KimPossible

BoltTalker
Jun 23, 2006
WonderSlug said:
Nope this one will cost as much as a house.

Guess I wont be getting that one...:icon_eek:

I saw a Panasonic 42 inch plasma for $2300 that I would be very happy with yesterday....maybe if things stop breaking around my house I can get it! And my new laptop!

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
KimPossible said:
Guess I wont be getting that one...:icon_eek:

I saw a Panasonic 42 inch plasma for $2300 that I would be very happy with yesterday....maybe if things stop breaking around my house I can get it! And my new laptop!
Not for 10 years at least! :lol:

I figure a 50 inch plasma for $2500 - $3000 will suffice for many people.

KimPossible

BoltTalker
Jun 23, 2006
WonderSlug said:
Not for 10 years at least! :lol:

I figure a 50 inch plasma for $2500 - $3000 will suffice for many people.

A 42 inch suffices for me just right...$2300 is just about the right amount of suffice....lol

Hey Plasma prices seem to have come down! :icon_eek: The off brands are really cheap...but I am afraid they will fall apart!

Reactions: eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal

BoltTalker
Jan 23, 2006
KimPossible said:
A 42 inch suffices for me just right...$2300 is just about the right amount of suffice....lol

Hey Plasma prices seem to have come down! :icon_eek: The off brands are really cheap...but I am afraid they will fall apart!
Hi cute sweetie. I am gonna try to rep you! :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :tup:

Reactions: Buttmunch

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
eastcoastboltgal said:
Hi cute sweetie. I am gonna try to rep you! :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :tup:
Well thank you!:icon_mrgreen:

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
eastcoastboltgal said:
I tried to rep my big strong man but it said I have to spread it around a bit first ... :icon_sad: :no:
I dont think BB or I want you 'spredin it around' young lady!:icon_twisted:

:icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana:

eastcoastboltgal

BoltTalker
Jan 23, 2006
Concudan said:
I dont think BB or I want you 'spredin it around' young lady!:icon_twisted:

:icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana:
I just do what I am told!!! :icon_banana: :nana_dance: :nana_love: :nana_love:

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
eastcoastboltgal said:
I just do what I am told!!! :icon_banana: :nana_dance: :nana_love: :nana_love:
:icon_rofl: I would say 'good lass' but BB will break out the kagi-wa-fling-yo-poo on me...:icon_tease:

eastcoastboltgal

BoltTalker
Jan 23, 2006
Concudan said:
:icon_rofl: I would say 'good lass' but BB will break out the kagi-wa-fling-yo-poo on me...:icon_tease:
BB is AWOL these days. I think he found another monkey! :icon_shrug: :icon_sad:

Reactions: BFISA

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
eastcoastboltgal said:
BB is AWOL these days. I think he found another monkey! :icon_shrug: :icon_sad:
Nah, there is only one banana for that munkay! And that banana is you!:nana_love: :nana_rock: :nana_guitar: :nana_dance: :nana_rasta:

Hey! How did that last crazy banana get in?!