MartyBall Dead?

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

DenverBolt

BoltTalker
Aug 12, 2006
Has Marty seen the light? Or will he revert to MartyBall form if we have the lead in the second half next week against S.F.? Will he go for the kill, or sit on the ball? Any predictions?

T10

BoltTalker
Aug 17, 2005
Rivers has proven himself this game. Marty ball will still be there, but only when the time is right in the game. Otherwise, Rivers is on his way to becoming the next Dan Fouts. :tup:

M

matilack

DenverBolt said:
Has Marty seen the light? Or will he revert to MartyBall form if we have the lead in the second half next week against S.F.? Will he go for the kill, or sit on the ball? Any predictions?
Hell ya, I would love to put up 300 yds against Sammy Davis and San Fran.

It better be over, I dont know if I could live with myself if we lost to SF.

M

matilack

MasterOfPuppets said:
we'll se MartyBall next week but with Whitehurst playing it with a 20 point lead
Yep, it better be a slaughter, LT needs to make up for lost yards too. I expect no less than 150 from him next week.

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
San Diego, CA
i keep thinking it is but it seems to come and go

Oakland: Martyball
Tenn: No
Baltimore: Yes
Pitts: No
SF: ?

M

matilack

PostAnteaterCharger said:
i keep thinking it is but it seems to come and go

Oakland: Martyball
Tenn: No
Baltimore: Yes
Pitts: No
SF: ?
Same as last year, 1st to games yes, next few no, and then on and off for the rest of the year.

Boltjolt

Jun 18, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
Martyball will never be dead. Dude is too old to change but this is the way i like to see him play it on offense. Dont sit on a 7 point lead and try to get more points. Throw the ball some...even if just to pick up some short yeardage that the run hasnt been efective doing consistantly.

I take my avatar of Marty off and re-install the Super Rivers back in its place.:tup:

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
Jun 27, 2006
Boltjolt said:
Martyball will never be dead. Dude is too old to change but this is the way i like to see him play it on offense. Dont sit on a 7 point lead and try to get more points. Throw the ball some...even if just to pick up some short yeardage that the run hasnt been efective doing consistantly.

I take my avatar of Marty off and re-install the Super Rivers back in its place.:tup:
Yup it's just sad that Marty was basically PRESSURED into letting Rivers throw more. PEER PRESSURE PEER PRESSURE PEER PRESSURE. Marty smokes cigs because it's cool :tup:

Reactions: KimPossible

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Boltjolt said:

I'll bet that when Rivers had that INT on the first possession, 90% of the Charger fans watching were thinking "Aw shit, here we go again.... run, run, run....."

:icon_wink:

Reactions: KimPossible

HollywoodLeo

Mar 13, 2006
WonderSlug said:
I'll bet that when Rivers had that INT on the first possession, 90% of the Charger fans watching were thinking "Aw shit, here we go again.... run, run, run....."

I didn't think that.

"Martyball" isn't about abandoning the passing game at the first sign of danger, nor is it about running all the time no matter what.

I generally expect "run run run..." once the Chargers' score becomes higher than the opposition's. When the score isn't as such, then you generally focus on the run, but you do mix in some pass plays here and there.

Thankfully that did not happen last night.

RayDahayder

BoltTalker
Sep 12, 2006
Something inside me tells me that AJ had a chat with marty this week and told him to grow some brass ones or he'll be gone. I would seriously doubt that this was all marty's doing. I'll bet it pained him and he had to wear a Depends in order to keep from soiling himself, but he had no choice but to open it up..... under threat of unemployment.

The good thing is..... he finally realizes that Rivers can play and doesn't need to be babied any longer.

cranberry

BoltTalker
Oct 3, 2006
Gross Gerau, Germany, Frankfurt area
Boltjolt said:

I see it the same way

PhillyChargerFan

Sep 25, 2006
Martyball will never be dead. We had to throw against Pitt, there were NO running lanes. Alos notice a trend:

Oakland - Martyball (away)
Tenn. - Air Marty (home)
Balt. - Martyball (away)
Pitt - Air Marty (home)

Hummmmmmm............

exodus

Nov 4, 2005
Martyball can crush the niners. LT should have 200 yards. The Chargers will run SF all the way to Market street.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
Boltdiehard said:
On TV Marty was looking pretty old last night. JMO.
Dude's older than I am, Bro...thats sayin summpm!!:icon_mrgreen:

Altho I don't think he's older than Roo :icon_eek: :no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_rofl:

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
WonderSlug said:

I was thinking, "Parker you idiot. That ball hit you in the freaking hands and you let the defender take it away from you."

exodus

Nov 4, 2005
boltssbbound said:
I was thinking, "Parker you idiot. That ball hit you in the freaking hands and you let the defender take it away from you."
Yeah, he let that one go. Gates would've held on and taken the ball back. But Parker also dropped that pass that hit him in the hands and even Keenan dropped the bomb. Our recievers were stinking it up out there in the beginning. Thank god they turned it all around.

Kwak

May 25, 2006
Boltjolt said:

I pulled my Avatar since he found his balls last night, but the quote below stays until he wins a playoff game.

rapscallion

BoltTalker
Oct 9, 2006
Considering the fact that the whiners are ranked 24th in rush defense and 25th in pass defense, I foresee a game plan similar - but not quite as Marty-ish - to the Raider game. Mostly running it down their throats, but passing every so often just because we can.

TheLash

Aug 8, 2006
Martyball cannot die. It held only be held in a torpor like state with a silver Lombardi through the heart:bolt:
Hey we already have a guy named Igor to assist.

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
rapscallion said:
Considering the fact that the whiners are ranked 24th in rush defense and 25th in pass defense, I foresee a game plan similar - but not quite as Marty-ish - to the Raider game. Mostly running it down their throats, but passing every so often just because we can.
I could not disagree more. The Niners will come out and stack up the running lanes, trying to shut down LT. I think the Bolts will display a balanced attack, but I expect Rivers to throw it 10-15 times in the first quarter. LT's going to be the knockout blow in this one. The passing game will set it up.

I have a hard time imagining a scenario will even be close. The only ones that are going to be making noise in the 2nd half of that game will be us Bolt fans in attendance.

My prediction: 41-10