Manager Candidates

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
It’s going to be Ron Washington and I am pissed.

the only good news is that if Ron fails, then ah is gone.

they better win next year.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Maddon hired by the Angels.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Barf. If they hire Tingler, they might as well have kept Green. Washington is so uninspiring and comes with baggage.

We're not going after the best candidate. Other than these two, they've only interviewed Ausmus? This is a total Nepotism hire by Preller.

If this comes to pass, I agree, and unless they win I expect Preller’s head to roll as promised by Fowler.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Padres are looking like the spanoses of baseball right about now.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I am really bummed right now. Jayce Tingler is gonna be Mike McCoy III, I just know it.

TTK is right, they may have well kept Green and given him one more chance to win with this team, he suffered through the growing pains. If they’re not gonna get the experienced guy then why did they come out and say they preferred one?. Tingler will be a total bullshit move by Preller, he’s rigging the process to pick “his guy” (great how that worked out with Green, bypassing Dave Roberts, who was already a coach on the team!)

Meanwhile Baker, Showalter, Scioscia, and BOCHY are out there. I bet they didn’t even bother contacting Bochy. What a farce!

Reactions: TTK

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I am really bummed right now. Jayce Tingler is gonna be Mike McCoy III, I just know it.

TTK is right, they may have well kept Green and given him one more chance to win with this team, he suffered through the growing pains. If they’re not gonna get the experienced guy then why did they come out and say they preferred one?. Tingler will be a total bullshit move by Preller, he’s rigging the process to pick “his guy” (great how that worked out with Green, bypassing Dave Roberts, who was already a coach on the team!)

Meanwhile Baker, Showalter, Scioscia, and BOCHY are out there. I bet they didn’t even bother contacting Bochy. What a farce!
Maybe we need to do a YouTube video to convince the Boch to take the job.

Bochy, Bochy, Bochy, the most San Diego thing since Croce, Croce, Croce?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So the latest Acee article says that seven managers have been interviewed (did not name them but we know one was Brad Ausmus), and two have had a second interview with ownership: Tingler and Washington, the two ex-Rangers. Color me disappointed. Out of the two I’d want Washington but I have a feeling it’s gonna be Tingler. Bleah.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
So the latest Acee article says that seven managers have been interviewed (did not name them but we know one was Brad Ausmus), and two have had a second interview with ownership: Tingler and Washington, the two ex-Rangers. Color me disappointed. Out of the two I’d want Washington but I have a feeling it’s gonna be Tingler. Bleah.

Barf. This is like the 2016 election all over again.

Something about Washington just rubs me the wrong way.I guess his off the field baggage. Bleh, if forced to choose, I guess I say roll the dice with the kid.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Barf. This is like the 2016 election all over again.

Something about Washington just rubs me the wrong way.I guess his off the field baggage. Bleh, if forced to choose, I guess I say roll the dice with the kid.
Fowler came out and said heads will roll if they don’t win. So if they pick Tingler and falter, is he one and done or was that just an empty threat? If the supposed window has opened, why pick this guy? Maybe Tingler is the next AJ Hinsche and not the next Andy Green?

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Fowler came out and said heads will roll if they don’t win. So if they pick Tingler and falter, is he one and done or was that just an empty threat? If the supposed window has opened, why pick this guy? Maybe Tingler is the next AJ Hinsche and not the next Andy Green?
I took that statement to say if we don't start winning, AJ's gone. But then whey would AJ pick Tingler if so much is riding on the line?

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I took that statement to say if we don't start winning, AJ's gone. But then whey would AJ pick Tingler if so much is riding on the line?
Or Washington for that matter?

Hinsch and Cora were the last two managerial WS champs, and now Dave Martinez is there with Washington and Dave Roberts the past two years in LA. Out with the old, in with the new.

I wonder who the other anonymous managerial candidates were?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Preller rules. He has a history of picking great managers. I trust he will do the right thing and do whatever it takes to get Bochy to take the job.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
2 losers.
Well according to the article or tweet TTK posted in the other thread, the Pads did reach out to Bochy and “offered him a job” but he decided to wait at least one year. So, hire one of these clowns (or better yet, Barajas) and fire them after 2020 and get Bochy.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If we don't hire Bochy or his equivalent this year, we will make zero progress. My feeling is that Preller calls the shots, and his shot calling last year and the year before was indecisive and a waste of time. We keep thinking we can develop everybody at once, but that is effing impossible. We need to choose the players we plan to win with and just focus on developing those guys into a winning team. Stop dinking around.

Our manager search is a perfect example of how we operate. Why the heck did we fire Green before knowing who we wanted to replace him with? What was our plan? I believe we never had one and won't have one until we transfer the power from Preller to somebody who has a vision he can stick with.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
If we don't hire Bochy or his equivalent this year, we will make zero progress. My feeling is that Preller calls the shots, and his shot calling last year and the year before was indecisive and a waste of time. We keep thinking we can develop everybody at once, but that is effing impossible. We need to choose the players we plan to win with and just focus on developing those guys into a winning team. Stop dinking around.

Our manager search is a perfect example of how we operate. Why the heck did we fire Green before knowing who we wanted to replace him with? What was our plan? I believe we never had one and won't have one until we transfer the power from Preller to somebody who has a vision he can stick with.
I’m starting to feel like Preller is an excellent guy to rebuild and run the farm system.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I agree with that. If they didn't have a replacement lined up, they might as well have kept Green. Actually, they should have still dumped him but it's stupid to get rid of a manager without a plan.

Bochy isn't interested in coaching *this year* so I think Tingler is the way to go now. Let him have one year and if he is amazing, then we found the new wunderkind. If he sucks, they can try go get Bochy next year.

If they're looking for someone with experience, I don't know why they're not interested in someone like Showalter. His teams in Baltimore did well (until Manny got traded) and that's competing with the Yankees and Red Sox and Manny gave him high praise. But apparently, they didn't even interview him.

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I agree with that. If they didn't have a replacement lined up, they might as well have kept Green. Actually, they should have still dumped him but it's stupid to get rid of a manager without a plan.

Bochy isn't interested in coaching *this year* so I think Tingler is the way to go now. Let him have one year and if he is amazing, then we found the new wunderkind. If he sucks, they can try go get Bochy next year.

If they're looking for someone with experience, I don't know why they're not interested in someone like Showalter. His teams in Baltimore did well (until Manny got traded) and that's competing with the Yankees and Red Sox and Manny gave him high praise. But apparently, they didn't even interview him.
They should hire you. You already have a vision and a plan to achieve it.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
This article, written three days ago, states there are some in the Padres organization that are holding out for Bochy, who hasn’t ruled out 2020.

Reactions: TTK