Manager Candidates

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
lolz.....it's just been revealed how to get TTK to pull for Boch as manager......threaten him with Maddon LOLOLOLOL.
Lol, I like Bochy but I was hoping for some young blood. Makes sense though, after you fail with a green (pun intended) manager, you tend to hire a vet next.

Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Lol, I like Bochy but I was hoping for some young blood. Makes sense though, after you fail with a green (pun intended) manager, you tend to hire a vet next.
hell I don't know if Boch is the answer......maybe he's washed up. I'm just sort of glad we are making a change......vet or young manager, either way just had to make a change. Preller pretty much spelled it out. Will be interesting to see who they DO end up with. Popcorn is warm.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Meanwhile today the youngsters played with heart and they won with a walkoff.

I fear it will be Barajas.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
hell I don't know if Boch is the answer......maybe he's washed up. I'm just sort of glad we are making a change......vet or young manager, either way just had to make a change. Preller pretty much spelled it out. Will be interesting to see who they DO end up with. Popcorn is warm.
When in doubt, the answer is Boch.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
When in doubt, the answer is Boch.
as much as the odds are against it, that would be the epic baseball story for the ages and for SD, if that guy returned and brought the Padres their first WS title. Can you imagine??? Streets would be overrun with fans the celebration would be so huge. Think 94 bolts AFC Championship celebration x100. And that was the opportunity spanos walked away from, he'll NEVER see that in LA, not even close, in fact they won't care. (not that he'll ever be able to sniff a Lombardi because he's too incompetent to win a championship in anything other than maybe bobbing for farts in the bathtub)

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Let the search begin.

My list:

1) Bruce Bochy - if comes out and says “I want the Padres job” they should hire him on the spot.

2) Joe Maddon - the guy took two dismal franchises to the series and won one title. He’s 1B to Bochy’s 1A

3) Joe Girardi - Won a WS with the Yanks. Not sure why he hasn’t been hired yet. He will probably land in Chicago

4) Dusty Baker - Gets a bad rap for “blowing our arms” but all he does is win. And if he blows out an arm and we won a WS, that’s collateral damage in my mind

Don’t want any unproven guys (Loretta, Alou) and especially don’t want Barajas.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Let the search begin.

My list:

1) Bruce Bochy - if comes out and says “I want the Padres job” they should hire him on the spot.

2) Joe Maddon - the guy took two dismal franchises to the series and won one title. He’s 1B to Bochy’s 1A

3) Joe Girardi - Won a WS with the Yanks. Not sure why he hasn’t been hired yet. He will probably land in Chicago

4) Dusty Baker - Gets a bad rap for “blowing our arms” but all he does is win. And if he blows out an arm and we won a WS, that’s collateral damage in my mind

Don’t want any unproven guys (Loretta, Alou) and especially don’t want Barajas.
One more:

5) Mike Scioscia - he did win one WS with the Angels (beat Dusty’s Giants in 2002). I think a fresh start might invigorate him.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Out of respect, the first proffer should go to Bruce Bochy – in addition to being a part of the only 2 Padres teams ever to advance to the Fall Classic, he won 3 of them for San Francisco but despite all that, I doubt it was entirely his decision to “retire”. If he’s interested in the Padres job, (again) it should go to him without reservation – a potential added bonus may be that Madison Bumgarner may want to follow him to Petco and if you add him to our young staff of arms, it could be awesome even if he doesn’t have much left in the tank.

Ouside of Boch, give me any competent, veteran Manager. I recall in 2015 after Bud Black was dismissed and we were looking to replace him in the offseason, there were guys like Ozzie Guillen, Dusty Baker & Ron Gardenhire out there and available but instead Preller reaches for Andy Green, who was Arizona’s 3rd Base Coach and only had 1 year in that role when her was hired to manage the Padres.

I’d gladly take Joe Maddon, Mike Scioscia or any other experienced veteran to manage this team, especially if they have won a World Series in the past. We have players like Hosmer & Kinsler who have won them with prior teams, and Machado played in last year’s Fall Classic and if our owners are going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on talented players, it would stand to reason that they would also spend what it take to retain the services of a competent Manager to lead them going forward.

Reactions: Fender57

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
with ausmus now fired from the angels, you can take maddon off the list. my guess is he will want the angels job.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
with ausmus now fired from the angels, you can take maddon off the list. my guess is he will want the angels job.
I’d rather have Bochy anyway. But don’t count out the Padres, they have that attractive farm system just getting ready to blossom.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Maddon goes to Anaheim, Bochy returns to the Padres and kicks their asses in the World Series! :tup:

Bruce Bochy is my most desired person to manage the Padres, but a couple questions are:

#1 Does he even want the job? Under these owners who have shown a willingness to pay for talent, it would probably intrigue him just a little.

#2 How long would he want to do it? With 3 World Series titles already, he's got nothing left to prove and is already a lock for Cooperstown. He may want to win one with us just to prove it can be done and then hang it up, I can't see him staying on much longer if he does get us over the hump just once.

I could definitely live with the second scenario though - if we end up searching for another Manager within the next 3 years but we've got a shiny trophy, I'd be totally fine with that!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Maddon goes to Anaheim, Bochy returns to the Padres and kicks their asses in the World Series! :tup:

Bruce Bochy is my most desired person to manage the Padres, but a couple questions are:

#1 Does he even want the job? Under these owners who have shown a willingness to pay for talent, it would probably intrigue him just a little.

#2 How long would he want to do it? With 3 World Series titles already, he's got nothing left to prove and is already a lock for Cooperstown. He may want to win one with us just to prove it can be done and then hang it up, I can't see him staying on much longer if he does get us over the hump just once.

I could definitely live with the second scenario though - if we end up searching for another Manager within the next 3 years but we've got a shiny trophy, I'd be totally fine with that!
I was reading the article in the SF Chronicle that outlined his big sendoff on Sunday and the vibe I got was he was through.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
In San Francisco, the Boch is a minor champion in a city with many champions. He will likely be forgotten by most of that city as soon as somebody new matches his accomplishments. Perhaps, with the moving of the Warriors basketball team to San Fran, that has already happened.

In San Diego, we got guys like Tony Gwynn, Dan Fouts, and Junior Seau. Without ever helping us to win a title, those guys might as well be god. They won't be forgotten. They will always be spoken of as representing all that is/was good. Imagine the love the Boch would get if he actually led us to our only championship. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking the Padres manager position. Do it, Boch.

Reactions: Fender57

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
MLB Rumors: Manny Machado Asks Padres to Consider Buck Showalter as Next Manager

Buck Showalter Not Being Considered For Padres' Manager - MLB Trade Rumors

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
MLB Rumors: Manny Machado Asks Padres to Consider Buck Showalter as Next Manager

Buck Showalter Not Being Considered For Padres' Manager - MLB Trade Rumors

Funny, on Oct 2 Acee reported that Showalter and Sciosca were both being considered.

I’m having a strange feeling Preller is favoring Washington. I guess he’d be intriguing, anyone who can lead the Texas Rangers into the World Series twice should be considered.

It really looks like Bochy is done.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Prepare to be disappointed.

"Padres moving quickly in job quest shrouded in secrecy; Texas Rangers coach Jayce Tingler believed to be near top of list"

Yeah that will be complete bullshit. Preller is gambling with his job if he pulls this crap. Of the two I’d rather have Washington.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
What if the Dodgers lose tonight and they inexplicably decide to part ways with Dave Roberts - would you want him?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
What if the Dodgers lose tonight and they inexplicably decide to part ways with Dave Roberts - would you want him?
I’d be very interested. That’s the guy I wanted but they didn’t even give the guy an interview even though he was their bench coach. They hired Andy Green instead, and I think Roberts would never consider the Padres anyway, I think he hates Preller.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I’d be very interested. That’s the guy I wanted but they didn’t even give the guy an interview even though he was their bench coach. They hired Andy Green instead, and I think Roberts would never consider the Padres anyway, I think he hates Preller.
I would tend to agree but if the Dodgers unceremoniously dumped him after postseason berths every year & a couple of trips to the World Series, I think he'd be sore at them and would relish the chance to coach against them in the same division - unfortunately the Giants offer him the same opportunity without the negative baggage.