Manager Candidates

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Bochy: As much as I'm not a fan of this move, at least he has a very strong Padre connection. Seems like he is the best choice.
Scioscia: I would say no. He's a name manager but I think it would be an uninspiring hire. He has had the best player in baseball and didn't do anything with that team.
Alou: It looks like he has no managerial experience but he would have a strong Latin connection with a lot of our players. This would be an interesting hire.
Washington: Former Rangers manager. He was WS experience but for some reason I wouldn't dig this hire.
Loretta: Former Padre. Coached Israel in the 2013 WBC. Meh.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Washington: coke fiend. I hope he’s recovered. He did get the Rangers into the WS.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Agree out of those mentioned above Bochy is the best of the lot....nothing tremendously inspiring. What is the deal with Maddon....is he or is he not going to be available? If he is then he jumps right to the top of the list IMO. Took the Cubs to he WS. Pads have never been so maybe he's up to duplicating that magic. But why would he be available anyway? Isn't he still making the Cubbies competitive or do they have a different manager now? I'm not really up on other teams much in baseball.....I guess I was never as rabid a baseball fan as for football. But now that we only have a vested interest in major league baseball here I'm trying to get more up to speed.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Bochy is still technically a Giant. Where did this list come from?
yeah technically but that comes to a rapid end very shortly. Heck they may have already held talks with the guy in some form or another, I guess they can't tamper, but the guy is already announced he's leaving SF. Doubt they'd take action against the teams that might want him. Eff the Gnats if they think he is there property forever.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Agree out of those mentioned above Bochy is the best of the lot....nothing tremendously inspiring. What is the deal with Maddon....is he or is he not going to be available? If he is then he jumps right to the top of the list IMO. Took the Cubs to he WS. Pads have never been so maybe he's up to duplicating that magic. But why would he be available anyway? Isn't he still making the Cubbies competitive or do they have a different manager now? I'm not really up on other teams much in baseball.....I guess I was never as rabid a baseball fan as for football. But now that we only have a vested interest in major league baseball here I'm trying to get more up to speed.
The rumor is that if the Cubs miss the playoffs they’re getting rid of Maddon.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah technically but that comes to a rapid end very shortly. Heck they may have already held talks with the guy in some form or another, I guess they can't tamper, but the guy is already announced he's leaving SF. Doubt they'd take action against the teams that might want him. Eff the Gnats if they think he is there property forever.
I just question that Acee saw some kind of “official” list from the Padres that had Bochy’s name on it. That is tampering, even though Boch is leaving.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I just question that Acee saw some kind of “official” list from the Padres that had Bochy’s name on it. That is tampering, even though Boch is leaving.
Acee and 'official' don't usually go together :laugh: Probably something he's imagining again. lolz.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The rumor is that if the Cubs miss the playoffs they’re getting rid of Maddon.
Well let's hope they just miss out and the Cubs do something stupid.;) Of course I'd imagine other teams would be in the competition. A lot of times managers and coaches from the midwest or east coast want to stay in that region and don't come out west. Not sure if Maddon has lived on the west coast. Then of course it's mostly the manager needs to be compatible with and regard highly the front office. Wonder if Preller and he have any connection at all?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Well let's hope they just miss out and the Cubs do something stupid.;) Of course I'd imagine other teams would be in the competition. A lot of times managers and coaches from the midwest or east coast want to stay in that region and don't come out west. Not sure if Maddon has lived on the west coast. Then of course it's mostly the manager needs to be compatible with and regard highly the front office. Wonder if Preller and he have any connection at all?
You have to think with the young pipeline and with the guys at the major league level, any top tier manager would be salivating to get their hands on that job.

Reactions: Gill Man

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
I still remember thinking I heard on the radio, around 1980, that our lovable losers were going to give
"Gary Coleman" a shot at managing the club. :oops:

After being momentarily slightly alarmed... I thought: "Yeah...makes sense..what've we really got to lose?"

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I still remember thinking I heard on the radio, around 1980, that our lovable losers were going to give
"Gary Coleman" a shot at managing the club. :oops:

After being momentarily slightly alarmed... I thought: "Yeah...makes sense..what've we really got to lose?"
Even worse, they actually hired Jerry Coleman.

Reactions: Lance19

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Joe Maddon is obnoxious. If he's given the boot, I hope he isn't even a consideration.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Joe Maddon is obnoxious. If he's given the boot, I hope he isn't even a consideration.
In what way? The dude took two moribund franchises to the World Series. Dick Williams was a huge asshole, but I loved him as the manager of the Padres.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
In what way? The dude took two moribund franchises to the World Series. Dick Williams was a huge asshole, but I loved him as the manager of the Padres.
I'm not talking about his success. I don't like his attitude.

He's always defending Rizzo when he plays dirty. Maybe people might like it because he's standing up for his player when his player plays dirty, he's justifying it.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I'm not talking about his success. I don't like his attitude.

He's always defending Rizzo when he plays dirty. Maybe people might like it because he's standing up for his player when his player plays dirty, he's justifying it.
Well that’s what managers do, they back up their players. They’d order pitchers to throw at opposing batters too. I liked baseball better when it was played by men.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
yeah I'd take a manager with an attitude who motivates and above all has proven he's capable of leading a team to a WS over a nice guy who can't motivate or get a team to play to it's potential and consistently underachieves. Football analogy of the latter is norb turner. aj smith picked him because he was a nice guy who didn't complain about anything other than throw his team and the organization under the bus on his way out of town. Just get a winner in here. I'm hoping it's Maddon at least at this point. We don't yet know if he's even a candidate or if he is whether he even wants to manage SD. SD has to be an attractive team to manage though.....not just the farm system and young talented players , but the city is the best there is in America....you know the one spenis left behind to move to a cesspool. lolz.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Well that’s what managers do, they back up their players. They’d order pitchers to throw at opposing batters too. I liked baseball better when it was played by men.
I get that. I guess if we have to become a dirty team to win then I guess so be it.

It's hard for me to root for people like that though.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I get that. I guess if we have to become a dirty team to win then I guess so be it.

I guess I don’t follow the Cubs, but what is it about Rizzo that makes him a dirty player? And are the Cubs as a whole a dirty team? Did Maddon have that rep in TB?

We have Manny Machado, who really does have a rep as a dirty player and exhibited this as recently as the NLCS last year. So far he’s a model citizen.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

I don't like when players throw baseballs at each other or charge the mound, but I don't mind players who play rough. If they are taking out the catcher or sliding in hard to second, it means they want to win.

What did Manny do that was dirty? I didn't watch much of last year's post season.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't like when players throw baseballs at each other or charge the mound, but I don't mind players who play rough. If they are taking out the catcher or sliding in hard to second, it means they want to win.

What did Manny do that was dirty? I didn't watch much of last year's post season.
He was running out a grounder and he went out of his way to step on the first baseman’s foot. A brawl nearly ensued. Manny was widely criticized for that and he didn’t really back down or apologize.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
He was running out a grounder and he went out of his way to step on the first baseman’s foot. A brawl nearly ensued. Manny was widely criticized for that and he didn’t really back down or apologize.
You had me at Manny "running out a grounder."

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I stand corrected, he kicked the player’s leg, he didn’t step on his foot.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So if we can forgive and accept Manny, can we do the same for Maddon? That’s if we somehow land him.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
My guess is that it is bochys Job to turn down. He gets first dibs.
If Bochy gets the job, we might need to dump whomever has been calling the shots. Somehow, I don't think Green was given the kind of power that Bochy would need to be convinced to take his place.