Leber Questions

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Turboe

BoltTalker
Oct 18, 2005
13
1
70
Just a lowly Vikings fan here, I found your site during the Fonoti deal last year and came in to ask from the people who know best. Loved the site and was treated very nicely.

Well I am back again. What is everyone in here's thoughts on Leber? I didnt know if I also put this question under the FA topic as I wasnt sure where to go at first. Anyway.


I know as a fan you are upset when you loose anyone, I know I am when it happens to us. But objectively what is the story with this guy. Good player just caught in the same position as Merriman who is an absolute beast? Or not talented enough, and on the way out anyway, Merriman just was there to step into his spot?

Just want to hear from the people that have seen this guy play for several years.

Personally I am excited because the kid grew up in South Dakota where I am from, and I am excited to see the homecoming of sorts, but just wanted to get some expert insite from here.

Thanks.

ps You guys need another nicked up QB, we got one well let you have for cheap!
 

SDRay

#GoIrish #Aztecs #SDGulls #Raiders #THFC #RipCity
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
Jun 20, 2005
13,400
1,869
350
46
Chula Vista, CA
www.afsportsforum.com
Hey Turboe, glad to see you back. You guys basically picked up a solid starting OLB in Ben Leber. He is good at run defense, and average in pass defense. He has decent speen and can get to the QB at times.

Leber is a good hard working guy who probably would still be here if we didn't draft Merriman.
 

Thumper

WHS
Aug 24, 2005
13,349
1,338
350
www.bolttalk.com
Turboe said:
Just a lowly Vikings fan here, I found your site during the Fonoti deal last year and came in to ask from the people who know best. Loved the site and was treated very nicely.

Well I am back again. What is everyone in here's thoughts on Leber? I didnt know if I also put this question under the FA topic as I wasnt sure where to go at first. Anyway.


I know as a fan you are upset when you loose anyone, I know I am when it happens to us. But objectively what is the story with this guy. Good player just caught in the same position as Merriman who is an absolute beast? Or not talented enough, and on the way out anyway, Merriman just was there to step into his spot?

Just want to hear from the people that have seen this guy play for several years.

Personally I am excited because the kid grew up in South Dakota where I am from, and I am excited to see the homecoming of sorts, but just wanted to get some expert insite from here.

Thanks.

ps You guys need another nicked up QB, we got one well let you have for cheap!
You got it right on the first guess. Leber is a good player that just caught in the same position as Merriman, who's a beast. I liked Leber a lot. Wish we could have kept him. He's not a superstar type like Merriman, but he's a very solid, hardworking player. He's a starter on most teams, but he would have been backup here.

Good luck to the Vikes, except of course when ever they meet the Boltz!
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
56,171
3,732
350
I think Leber will do quite well in the land of the Vikings.

He can be a monster comming off the edge in a blitz. He has speed and strength. Good player IMO.

Sorry to see him go, but the Bolts have a ton of talent at the LB positions, and he became expendable because of it.
 

Turboe

BoltTalker
Oct 18, 2005
13
1
70
Thanks for the feedback, obviously that is what I was hoping to hear. I am a little concerned though because someone mentioned good runstopper, average in coverage, and with us going to the Tampa Cover 2 Defense I think he will be called on to cover quite a bit. I hope it is a good fit. I originally thought we were going to go after one of the really big named LBs in free agency (Arrington or J.Peterson, etc) but since we just threw that monster contract at Hutchinson from Seattle, we probably couldnt get Arrington, etc anyway.

I hope Leber will be a good fit. Now if we can just keep Brees on your team so Miami doesnt get him, then maybe we can still trade Culpepper to Miami.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
56,171
3,732
350
Turboe said:
Thanks for the feedback, obviously that is what I was hoping to hear. I am a little concerned though because someone mentioned good runstopper, average in coverage, and with us going to the Tampa Cover 2 Defense I think he will be called on to cover quite a bit. I hope it is a good fit. I originally thought we were going to go after one of the really big named LBs in free agency (Arrington or J.Peterson, etc) but since we just threw that monster contract at Hutchinson from Seattle, we probably couldnt get Arrington, etc anyway.

I hope Leber will be a good fit. Now if we can just keep Brees on your team so Miami doesnt get him, then maybe we can still trade Culpepper to Miami.
Leber is alright in coverage, the more time he gets in it the better he will be. San Diego has been at the top of the league as run stoppers for a reason, that is their focus. So it makes sence that people will say he isnt that good in coverage. I think you guys will be very happy with him.

As far as Brees, he is gone from here, he will sign with the Saints or Dolphins today or tomorrow.

Good luck next season...
 

Turboe

BoltTalker
Oct 18, 2005
13
1
70
Concudan said:
As far as Brees, he is gone from here, he will sign with the Saints or Dolphins today or tomorrow.

Good luck next season...
I was pretty sure Brees was gone from the Bolts, just wishful thinking. I just hope he doesnt end up in Miami.

Good luck to you as well...
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
56,171
3,732
350
Turboe said:
I was pretty sure Brees was gone from the Bolts, just wishful thinking. I just hope he doesnt end up in Miami.

Good luck to you as well...
Rumor is that the Raiders might be interested in Culpepper again.
 

Carrie1219

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2005
15,905
1,963
350
not here
Concudan said:
Rumor is that the Raiders might be interested in Culpepper again.
Other rumors are floating around that Miami is looking at Culpepper as well. Either way, I don't want to see the Raiders get a good QB. :icon_twisted:
 

Turboe

BoltTalker
Oct 18, 2005
13
1
70
carrie1219 said:


Other rumors are floating around that Miami is looking at Culpepper as well. Either way, I don't want to see the Raiders get a good QB. :icon_twisted:

At this point we are not sure if Daunte is "A good QB" or not, as you may recall last years pre-injury Daunte wasnt all that hot.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
56,171
3,732
350
Turboe said:
At this point we are not sure if Daunte is "A good QB" or not, as you may recall last years pre-injury Daunte wasnt all that hot.
We will see. Sometimes the systems make the QBs.
 

BFISA

Well-Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
41,136
2,142
350
Shows how much attention I've been payin. So when did we lose Leber, was it a trade, and if so, who'd we get??:(
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
56,171
3,732
350
BFISA said:
Shows how much attention I've been payin. So when did we lose Leber, was it a trade, and if so, who'd we get??:(
He was a free agent...

You been eatin creme brulee again?!:drool:
 

BFISA

Well-Known Member
Nov 16, 2005
41,136
2,142
350
Concudan said:
He was a free agent...

You been eatin creme brulee again?!:drool:
Yup, atta Thai restaurant, of all places!!:icon_mrgreen: