Latest NFL HOF HC Inductee

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

captaind

Waka waka waka
Jul 12, 2007
Tennessee
Already vented yesterday about this. Cowher, Dungy....it's become a popularity contest equivalent of the rock n' roll HOF. What a joke.

Reactions: Fender57

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Cowher was a great coach. Dude won with some scrubs.
Coryell belongs though. That offensive playbook everybody uses now would be decimated if he hadn't existed.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Coryell
College 127 - 24- 3
NFL 114-89-1

Over 100 wins in college and pros. Cowher won SB XL. Only SB appearance.
Good coach but the NFL sucks.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Cowher was a great coach. Dude won with some scrubs.
Coryell belongs though. That offensive playbook everybody uses now would be decimated if he hadn't existed.
I’m don’t agree with the first paragraph. My contention is the opposite: he was an overrated coach and had some great players, a great GM (Donahue), and maybe the best ownership group in NFL History. He had guys like Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene and that terrific Gang Greene defense, Barry Foster st RB with a stout OL - won nothing and was out coached by Bobby Ross twice in three weeks in 1994. Was fortunate to land Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, The Bus, Slash, another great offensive line and defense, and still only managed one SB win and a questionable one at that. No way he should be in the Hall. Especially over Coryell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I’m don’t agree with the first paragraph. My contention is the opposite: he was an overrated coach and had some great players, a great GM (Donahue), and maybe the best ownership group in NFL History. He had guys like Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene and that terrific Gang Greene defense, Barry Foster st RB with a stout OL - won nothing and was out coached by Bobby Ross twice in three weeks in 1994. Was fortunate to land Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, The Bus, Slash, another great offensive line and defense, and still only managed one SB win and a questionable one at that. No way he should be in the Hall. Especially over Coryell.
great post. So what, he's a 'great coach'. The NFL HOF isn't for a bunch of 'great coaches'. There are a ton of those out there now. The HOF is for elite special coaches who have done something extraordinary. This guy aint' one of em. Don Coryell is. F the NFL and it's dumbass HOF.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I’m don’t agree with the first paragraph. My contention is the opposite: he was an overrated coach and had some great players, a great GM (Donahue), and maybe the best ownership group in NFL History. He had guys like Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene and that terrific Gang Greene defense, Barry Foster st RB with a stout OL - won nothing and was out coached by Bobby Ross twice in three weeks in 1994. Was fortunate to land Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, another great offensive line and defense, and still only managed one SB win and a questionable one at that. No way he should be in the Hall. Especially over Coryell.
Greg Lloyd was overrated. Too slow. Cowher managed to hide that weakness. Green was a good pass rusher, and that was it. The offense had nothing until Rothlisberger. Ben was great, but Slash, O'Donnell, and Bubby were crap starters. Cowher managed to have a perennial playoff team with those guys. That was basically like if Coryell had managed to win year after year with Billy Joe Tolliver, Babe Laufenberg, and maybe Little Train James at quarterback.

Coryell had far better players than Cowher had. And, when we beat the Steelers, Ross had far better players than Cowher did. Way better players. There was nobody on that Steelers team that was anything close to a Seau, O'Neal, or a Means. Our lines were better than theirs too. And Humpheys vs. O'Donnell? Yea - nobody would need more than a second to pick Stan over Neil.

And, yes. The Stillers have had a great organization that has picked out great coaches. Cowher was one. I agree Coryell was better and had a far greater and longer-lasting impact on the NFL. Coryell belongs before Cowher. But, we all know the Hall and the NFL in general are bullshit. Leslie O'Neal, who, outside of Reggie White, was the best D'lineman I ever saw and was one of the best linebackers I ever saw, isn't even a Hall of Fame consideration. Yea - it is all b.s.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Greg Lloyd was overrated. Too slow. Cowher managed to hide that weakness. Green was a good pass rusher, and that was it. The offense had nothing until Rothlisberger. Ben was great.

Coryell had far better players than Cowher had. And, when we beat the Steelers, Ross had far better players than Cowher did. Way better players. There was nobody on that Steelers team that was anything close to a Seau, O'Neal, or a Means. Our lines were better than theirs too. And Humpheys vs. O'Donnell? Yea - nobody would need more than a second to pick Stan over Neil.

And, yes. The Stillers have had a great organization that has picked out great coaches. Cowher was one.
We’re going to have to agree to disagree. For every Seau and O’Neal there was a Richard and Carrington. I agree about O’Donnell, they should’ve started Mike Tomczak, maybe they would’ve managed more than 13 points.

Without Jerome Bettis, Cowher would have zero championships. Without their stout defense they would not have made that Super Bowl in 1995 AND had they not started O’Donnell that game (they had both Tomczak and Slash on the team) they might have beat the Cowboys. They certainly were on the verge of taking the lead when O’Donnell choked and threw that pick. Cowher did nothing for a really long time. Overrated.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
We’re going to have to agree to disagree. For every Seau and O’Neal there was a Richard and Carrington. I agree about O’Donnell, they should’ve started Mike Tomczak, maybe they would’ve managed more than 13 points.

Without Jerome Bettis, Cowher would have zero championships. Without their stout defense they would not have made that Super Bowl in 1995 AND had they not started O’Donnell that game (they had both Tomczak and Slash on the team) they might have beat the Cowboys. They certainly were on the verge of taking the lead when O’Donnell choked and threw that pick. Cowher did nothing for a really long time. Overrated.
That Cowboys team was one of the two greatest teams I ever saw. The fact the Stillers didn't lose 100-0 says a lot about Cowher. Our boys managed to lose by about that much to the other greatest team I ever saw - that Steve Young 49ers team.

Tomczak was crap. Slash wasn't even a quarterback.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
That Cowboys team was one of the two greatest teams I ever saw. The fact the Stillers didn't lose 100-0 says a lot about Cowher. Our boys managed to lose by about that much to the other greatest team I ever saw - that Steve Young 49ers team.

Tomczak was crap. Slash wasn't even a quarterback.
Tomczak put up 35 on the 94 Chargers On the last game of the season - they were “resting” O’Donnell (and Foster) for the playoffs. In 95 there was a QB controversy between the two. Even with that the Steelers has the defense to surge ahead of the rest of the AFC.

That 95 Cowboys team was beginning their downswing and were coached by Barry Switzer. The Steelers had them on the ropes but O’Donnell choked. They were driving and self destructed.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Tomczak put up 35 on the 94 Chargers On the last game of the season - they were “resting” O’Donnell (and Foster) for the playoffs. In 95 there was a QB controversy between the two. Even with that the Steelers has the defense to surge ahead of the rest of the AFC.

That 95 Cowboys team was beginning their downswing and were coached by Barry Switzer. The Steelers had them on the ropes but O’Donnell choked. They were driving and self destructed.
Yea. A QB controversy always happens when all the quarterback options suck. That QB sucks, coach! Put in the other guy. Oh. Wait. God no. What were we thinking? Maybe put in the slot receiver at quarterback? We had QB controversies every year between Fouts and Humphreys. The difference between those teams and Cowher's QBless teams is we sucked and they didn't.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Yea. A QB controversy always happens when all the quarterback options suck. He sucks. Put in the other guy. Oh. God no. What were we thinking. Maybe put in the slot receiver at quarterback? We had QB controversies every year between Fouts and Humphreys. The difference between those teams and Cowher's QBless teams is we sucked and they didn't.
Correct - the Steelers teams did not suck. They should’ve won a Super Bowl in the 90s.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Well, just like they did on the CBS show, the HOF guy invaded the Fox show and presented Jimmy Johnson with a HOF induction. Unlike Cowher, JJ deserved it. I suspect this whole spectacle was an issue of making things equitable - they wanted to do a live presentation on both shows. JJ was obviously worthy but CBS has nobody but Cowher, so he got the nod too. Well, Cowher can join Dan Dierdorff in the “inductees who don’t deserve it” wing.

Reactions: Gill Man

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Well, just like they did on the CBS show, the HOF guy invaded the Fox show and presented Jimmy Johnson with a HOF induction. Unlike Cowher, JJ deserved it. I suspect this whole spectacle was an issue of making things equitable - they wanted to do a live presentation on both shows. JJ was obviously worthy but CBS has nobody but Cowher, so he got the nod too. Well, Cowher can join Dan Dierdorff in the “inductees who don’t deserve it” wing.
The Dorff should be removed from the Hall for how he sent color commentary on a downward trajectory.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
If Coryell ever gets in and he is represented by anyone from the Los Angeles Chargers........
I hope he never gets in.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The family would get to choose and it seems to me Fouts would be the logical choice.
yup not even close. The family would never pick anyone associated with the spanii because of what that a hole family did to Don.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
The family would get to choose and it seems to me Fouts would be the logical choice.

"I yield my time and vote to the man...or FenderBender from the great state of Comfortably Numb."
:)

computer.jpg

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Yea Fouts. Maybe John Madden could throw in a Boom at the end of the presentation.
Anyway. Fuck the Hall. It doesn't deserve any of our greats. The S.D. Hall of Champs at Balboa Park is more legit.

Last edited: