1. Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities for the sports fans. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lamar Jackson says LA Chargers scout told him about interest in him as a receiver

Discussion in 'American Football' started by RaiderRay, Jun 24, 2018.

1. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,202
    https://sports.yahoo.com/lamar-jackson-says-chargers-scout-013322008.html

“So that was the first time I heard it, I was like, ‘What?’ Like he was like, ‘Oh, Lamar are you gonna go out for wide receiver routes?’ I was like . . . ‘No . . . I don’t recall saying that, I don’t remember telling you guys I’d go out for receiver routes.’ I’m like, ‘No, quarterback only.’ So that made me not run the 40 and participate in all the other stuff.”

Jackson also said that the request that he work out at receiver made him more motivated to thrive as a quarterback.

2. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +884
    Haha. L.A. Racists.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +570
    I’m pretty sure Jackson made it a major point before the combines that he was only going to be a QB. Typical tone deaf Spenises.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +959
    Johnnie boy,”We draft him as a receiver, pay him as a receiver, play him at QB.”

TT, “That's gold, Johnnie, gold.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Faded Blues

Faded Blues BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    The real question is:

Does this line of questioning by the chargers surprise anyone?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Faded Blues

Faded Blues BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    The only good thing about this upcoming season is that we don’t have to worry about the chargers winning.

7. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Hope Jackson lights it up for the Ravens and becomes a big time NFL offensive threat. Some coordinators would love that versatility. Apparently Whiz was taking a whiz when Jackson clearly stated he was going to play QB period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +884
    If Jackson had missed his senior year with some serious injury, Telesco would have got the *** stains off the red carpet and rolled it out for him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +959
    True enough. I see nothing new or different from this organization than before. Same basic logo, colors, pr crap, drafting. They could switch to the San Pedro Chargers and no one would notice or even try and notice what happen.

Sample: the year that two of the top quarterbacks are from USC and UCLA and you draft a safety from Florida State.
    :inlove::laugh:

Two more years of Stubby magic. Good luck, Carson.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +570
    Speaking of Carson, I had to drive through there on business. What a dreary stretch of city, and that’s saying a lot considering the rest of LA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,149
    Drove much of it today on the way home from a long road trip to Oregon. What a f-ing disaster LA is. Fwy's are horrible, roads all effed up, accidents and lane closures making commuting anywhere next to impossible. Hey we even went by the old Irwindale site where Al Davis was supposed to find a stadium for the Raiders. In retrospect they shoulda moved back then......and stayed there ......woulda blocked the m-fer Dean from freeloading and heading out from America's Finest. FUDEAN.

12. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +959
  13. RamAirVA

RamAirVA New Name, Same Attitude

Ratings:
    +503
    FUDEAN...and FUAL.

14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +571
    Why is a scout that is willing to consider all possible alternatives for a player such as a college QB playing at WR in the NFL racist in any way? Your post seems illogical.

Were the Patriots racists when they moved Julian Edelman, a college QB, to WR?

Do you think that just maybe a discussion like the one Jackson reports has more to do with the fact that Jackson is very fast than it has to do with his skin color? Before labeling the Chargers as a racist organization, maybe you should also consider who their QBs are and who their head coach is. Those pesky little facts seem inconsistent with your assertion.

15. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +959
    While I think you missed the Q's satricial angle, the fact that your back up quarterbacks, color aside, are Geno Smith and
    Cardale Jones, indicates your team is either brilliant in planning to play either and finish 2-14 and get a new decent QB or they...and their fans are less than brilliant thinking a team is a “SB contender” with those two terrible back up QBs.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  16. Concudan

Concudan Still Chargin Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,753
    Yet you rooted on the likes of Friese, Tolliver, Moreno etc...

Funny how the 'born-again' people never remember their past.

17. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +959
    I never claimed those teams were “elite” or “Super Bowl contenders” because I try to deal with reality, even in the fanciful world of sports. I remember the past, it's the current Dolt fans who do not seem to understand the Spanni Way. By the way, Rivers was a good backup to Drew Brees.

18. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +884
    Friesz was kind of good. Henning, injury, and Humphries ended his Chargers career quickly.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,753
    He was a backup caliber QB IMHO.

That said, maybe it was the offensive line, but Humphries made the most of that line, though he took too many hits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,753
    I think your view of the past is extremely jaded by your current view. If you rooted for the teams with those QBs, then you are waxing more than a little hypocritical in my opinion. You can, not stopping you, just saying how you and other 'born-again' Charger haters are really coming off here lately. Not that my opinion is important to many of you on this subject (as it would not be visa versa, to be fair).

Rivers was a backup. I am not sure I recall where he came in fro Drew, wasn't it Flutie who switched out with him the most? Rivers started out stinking on ice, his first few passes in pre-season were off mark, 2 that I recall were into the ground. That fueled the UT Brees v. Rivers wars to new heights...

21. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +959
    If one thinks the Chargers are terrible and never, ever will do anything with the Spanni,
    that's not hate as much as 0-57 history staring you in the face.

Dolt apologists are the ones that need not to be born-again, from their 57 year coma. Quit hiding behind the “haters and bitter” folks screen. We rooted for teams that went nowhere. We woke up.

22. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,202
    Rivers was a top 5 draft pick and was an expected starter not a backup that would replace brees almost immediately. You can credit a good part Brees' ascension to AJ's drafting of Rivers. Freisz and Tolliver we're all drafted to be the franchise QB. Humpries was a backup that found the right system to play in once in SD. Have no idea what the LAC are thinking in Rivers successor. I really don't think they have anyone on staff that can develope Jones or Smith into a franchise QB.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,753
    I agree. I doubt any QB on the team is really slated to replace Rivers.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,753
    So who were you rooting for, from 2015 to oh say the mid 1960's?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Funny your perspective when most of those 0-57 digits were staring YOU in the face.

25. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +884
    Humphries was the man.

The Chargers O'line through the Henning period wasn't bad at all. The linemen were decent pass blockers and badass run blockers. They had godawful trouble with false starts, but that was expected when the head coach was Dan Henning. That changed about four weeks into the Bobby Ross regime.

Friesz only played one complete season with the Chargers and played better than most first-year quarterbacks played back then. If he had stayed healthy and been given time to develop, he would have been better than a backup.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +959
    First, it wasn't 0-57 yet. And It states we woke up.
    Apparently some folks never did or ever will.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,753
    There is no smoke screen. You are starting to call people out for not stepping in line with your decision not to follow the team. You now cast aspersions on the history of the team you celebrated until the move. That means every aspersion you throw at people, especially about 0 and 57 you cast at yourself. If that is your message, it has been received.

I can appreciate and even respect your opinions on the team, though I cant share them. Now on the ownership....

28. Harryo the K

Ratings:
    +959
    No one has to step in line with me. How anyone can follow a team led by the Spanni and their past personal performance and on field performances is simply curious. And the ownership is the reason people no longer like or follow the team. With fantasy football and betting come online, if you want to follow individual players, Chargers or otherwise, great. But the "LA Chargers"? Even LA doesn't like the LA Chargers. Nothing against the Conc. When you have run 53,650 post patterns...you deserve the right to be you. :cool:

29. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +570
  30. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +571
    Just a few quick thoughts here.

First, Rivers has not missed a game as a starter ever and plans to play at least 3 more seasons if his wish to play in the new stadium is to come to fruition.

Second, none of the 2018 draft class of QBs are very good. The top rated ones are all overrated. I doubt any of them will be significantly better than Smith if called upon to play for the next couple of seasons.

Third, Smith, though not a great QB, is clearly underrated. He represents an upgrade versus Clemens as the team's back up QB.

Fourth, the Chargers got Derwin James, a better player than any of the QBs in this year's draft.

Fifth, the team would have had to have wasted a ton of draft capital to trade up for one of the overrated QBs, who would then have parked his rear end on the bench for all or most of his rookie contract while Rivers played.

Sixth, the Chargers have Rivers, are a Super Bowl contender right now and are definitely in win now mode. Filling the few remainong holes they had with their draft picks was, accordingly, the clear best choice. That might have had something to do with why the team took that approach to its offseason moves.