La Mole

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Green needs to move him down in the lineup. Batting second, he has no guys on base when he comes up to bat.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He needs to be in the lineup every day , a regular. His attitude is contagious. He is a beast at the plate and agree with TKK he needs to be moved into the cleanup spot or something other than 2nd.......that is some sabremetrics thing.....maybe as the game progresses the 2nd spot ends up seeing base runners statistically but damn I'd like him to be the guy that is there in early innings at the start of the game to open things up on the scoreboard. Both he and Renfroe should be regulars. Myers occasionally makes the big hit but overall just doesn't seem to cut it.
Of course we said same about Kinsler and of late Kinsler is making a statement at the plate. Not HR's necessarily but he's hit some key doubles and singles.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
He needs to be in the lineup every day , a regular. His attitude is contagious. He is a beast at the plate and agree with TKK he needs to be moved into the cleanup spot or something other than 2nd.......that is some sabremetrics thing.....maybe as the game progresses the 2nd spot ends up seeing base runners statistically but damn I'd like him to be the guy that is there in early innings at the start of the game to open things up on the scoreboard. Both he and Renfroe should be regulars. Myers occasionally makes the big hit but overall just doesn't seem to cut it.
Of course we said same about Kinsler and of late Kinsler is making a statement at the plate. Not HR's necessarily but he's hit some key doubles and singles.
He only has something like 27 RBI or some ridiculously low number and that’s probably attributable to his spot in the order. But he was scuffling badly before they put him at the two spot and he suddenly came alive.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
He only has something like 27 RBI or some ridiculously low number and that’s probably attributable to his spot in the order. But he was scuffling badly before they put him at the two spot and he suddenly came alive.
yeah crazy the number of solo shots. 18 HR's and 27 RBI's????? Crazy. That is sabremetrics gone wrong.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
yeah crazy the number of solo shots. 18 HR's and 27 RBI's????? Crazy. That is sabremetrics gone wrong.
Just looked it up. I was off by two, he actually has 29 lol. Put him in the 4 or 5 spot with Renfroe.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I thought Manny wasn’t earning his money this year? And now you’re down on Reyes? WTF man?
1. Manny is earning his money by showing up. It doesn't mean we are getting value for what we spent. You seem to think I am against the Hatchet signing, but I'm not. It made sense to me when we signed him because 1) his numbers looked great, and 2) he had a history of durability. So far, it doesn't look so great, but I have hope that, like Hosmer, Manny will be money again - even if it is next year. As of now, I haven't made up my mind as to whether Manny was the right place to put that amount of our limited resources. Have you?

2. As to your point about me being down on Reyes, I am not. But I know he won't look as good without Machado behind him. Anybody who hits in front of Manny will look better than he does when not hitting in front of him.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
1. Manny is earning his money by showing up. It doesn't mean we are getting value for what we spent. You seem to think I am against the Hatchet signing, but I'm not. It made sense to me when we signed him because 1) his numbers looked great, and 2) he had a history of durability. So far, it doesn't look so great, but I have hope that, like Hosmer, Manny will be money again - even if it is next year. As of now, I haven't made up my mind as to whether Manny was the right place to put that amount of our limited resources. Have you?

2. As to your point about me being down on Reyes, I am not. But I know he won't look as good without Machado behind him. Anybody who hits in front of Manny will look better than he does when not hitting in front of him.
Yes, getting Manny was a necessary step. His fielding has been brilliant. His numbers have been down compared to his career but it’s early. He still has 9 HRs so I’m hopeful. If we let him go we’d probably not be contending at the WC spot.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
La Mole and Hunter Renfroe are going to be stars. If we get Hatchet to be who he is, get Paddack healthy enough to throw 100 pitches, and keep El Nino Tatis and El Papo Hosmer where they are at, 6 of 9 starting All Star positions might be Padres in upcoming years.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If Manny Machado isn't in the on deck circle when La Mole is at bat, Reyes won't seem so great.
Sorry for being the prophet of doom, La Mole. You are going to have to learn to hit on bench nights and make it show while batting in front of the Kinslers of the world. If you are like Hunter Renfroe, you will finally reach some of your potential in four years, then get put on the trading block. Good luck. We are all counting on you.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Sorry for being the prophet of doom, La Mole. You are going to have to learn to hit on bench nights and make it show while batting in front of the Kinslers of the world. If you are like Hunter Renfroe, you will finally reach some of your potential in four years, then get put on the trading block. Good luck. We are all counting on you.
it's the dreads that are in the toilet now washed into some water treatment plant or perhaps offshore that are missing. The strength is gone. Samson 2.0. He might end up getting a gig endorsing Samsonite!!!!!!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
it's the dreads that are in the toilet now washed into some water treatment plant or perhaps offshore that are missing. The strength is gone. Samson 2.0. He might end up getting a gig endorsing Samsonite!!!!!!
Samson, in the end, finds out he never needed hair. My advice is don't be in or around the stadium when he finds his strength again. Justice is coming.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Samson, in the end, finds out he never needed hair. My advice is don't be in or around the stadium when he finds his strength again. Justice is coming.
So if it's Wrigley Field when he rediscovers his stength, that would no longer be 'the friendly confines'??? I'm trying to think which stadium I'd like to see gone. lolz.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Post trade stats:

BA .074 (2 for 27)
0 HR
2 RBI
.111 SLG
.100 OBP
.211 OPS

I feel really bad for the guy. I hope he snaps out of it.

Reactions: SDRay

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Post trade stats:

BA .074 (2 for 27)
0 HR
2 RBI
.111 SLG
.100 OBP
.211 OPS

I feel really bad for the guy. I hope he snaps out of it.
Yeah, I hope he does well but maybe if he keeps playing poorly they can trade him back to us. ;)

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Sometimes team chemistry is everything to a player. Wondering if La Mole needs to be here surrounded by the players and fans he loves and in the town he loves. Too bad that happened. Maybe he should take a dive to get released and come back and right the ship. Don't think we have the place for him though. No DH.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If Manny Machado isn't in the on deck circle when La Mole is at bat, Reyes won't seem so great.
So I looked up this year's Mole stats.

Batting 2nd, he hit 16 homers and batted .287. That was in 143 plate appearances.

In the 6 spot, he has hit 6 homers and batted .257. That was in 124 at bats.

Batting 5th, he also has 6 homers and has batted .245.

Batting cleanup, he has had 5 homers and is below the Mendoza line.

So, yea. I told y'all.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So I looked up this year's Mole stats.

Batting 2nd, he hit 16 homers and batted .287. That was in 143 plate appearances.

In the 6 spot, he has hit 6 homers and batted .257. That was in 124 at bats.

Batting 5th, he also has 6 homers and has batted .245.

Batting cleanup, he has had 5 homers and is below the Mendoza line.

So, yea. I told y'all.
I don’t think anybody disputed your notion, did they? The real debate was who should we keep, Renfroe or Franmil?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I don’t think anybody disputed your notion, did they? The real debate was who should we keep, Renfroe or Franmil?
Yes. Somebody did dispute the notion. Y'all wanted Reyes moved from the two spot because somebody reported he had weak RBI numbers. Green or Preller or whoever was in charge agreed with y'all instead of sticking with what was already golden.

There was no debate about getting rid of Reyes or Renfroe. Green or Preller or whoever was in charge invented that controversy all on his own.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Yes. Somebody did dispute the notion. Y'all wanted Reyes moved from the two spot because somebody reported he had weak RBI numbers. Green or Preller or whoever was in charge agreed with y'all instead of sticking with what was already golden.

There was no debate about getting rid of Reyes or Renfroe. Green or Preller or whoever was in charge invented that controversy all on his own.
You are right, it was pretty unanimous here that we didn’t need to get rid of either one. It was an organizational blunder for sure. Much too hasty to pull the trigger.