La Mole

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEFOr4C6287wdAqCg-OL0Fn0qFggEKg0IACoGCAowpIACMJBMMJHungY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

La Mole: good at homers, cool dude, loves the fans, bad at karaoke. I think he should stick to singing Biz Markie.
holy crap that was bad lolz.......first off the dude's pipes sound like he has step throat. Second off he cannot carry a meldody 'cause he's way off key. Good thing Simon Cowell wasn't auditioning him LMAO. Yeah stick to homers. But he's having fun and that's a good thing. Wish he had a great voice and talent, now that could be really cool. Maybe they shoulda given him some backup music to sing to......soloing is ridiculously difficult to begin with. Meh, he's having fun, it was a spontaneous expression of happiness and love for his fans. So I guess keep doing it La Mole, we are loving you too.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Even Nick Canepa gets it:

Nick Canepa

@sdutCanepa
·
12h
The Padres can't allow Hunter Renfroe to sit. Put Renfroe and Reyes out there every day, lefty or righty, and let them play.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Yup agree, I'm not sure what Green is doing. We need bats badly. So he sticks a complete newbie in there, Naylor......and Myers is sucking too. And the batting order is shifting like a technonic plate every day. WTF. Whatever the case, it's NOT WORKING. Remember that old song (maybe you don't you are a newer generation) by Peter Paul and Mary "Where have all the flowers gone?"....It should be "Where have all the batters gone?"

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The Renfroe vs Reyes debate should be over, they both have won and should be playing every day. Myers/Margot should be platooning and Naylor needs to go back down to AAA and continue getting ABs there.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The Renfroe vs Reyes debate should be over, they both have won and should be playing every day. Myers/Margot should be platooning and Naylor needs to go back down to AAA and continue getting ABs there.
So my critique of the callup of Naylor wasn't ridiculous? Or are you saying that it is Greene's decision as to who comes and goes from the minors?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Yup agree, I'm not sure what Green is doing. We need bats badly. So he sticks a complete newbie in there, Naylor......and Myers is sucking too. And the batting order is shifting like a technonic plate every day. WTF. Whatever the case, it's NOT WORKING. Remember that old song (maybe you don't you are a newer generation) by Peter Paul and Mary "Where have all the flowers gone?"....It should be "Where have all the batters gone?"
I wasn't alive when the song came out, but, being a stoner, I am generally familiar with the Puff the Magic Dragon band.

This was, I thought, supposed to be a year in which we get our young players the chance to grow into stars. You can't give a manager 3 young corner outfielders and expect them all to get playing time. We need to pick the two we want to play in the majors and let the others get their playing time in the minors.

As far as the infield, we need to also decide who we think our 2nd baseman of the future is and make sure that guy is on the field as much as possible. Kinsler should have never been signed. He doesn't fit on a team that wants to give its young players room to grow.

And Green, who can't seem to make up his mind about anything, isn't the leader this team needs. It is fucking June. Pick a goddamn lineup so our future stars can start getting that consistent playing time hopefully at one spot in the lineup and one spot on the field. None of these other youngsters are like Tatis - a natural who doesn't need consistent practice before becoming good. If we keep rotating Reyes, Urias, Renfroe, France, Naylor, et. al., in and out and around the lineup, not one of them is going to reach his potential any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gill Man

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I wasn't alive when the song came out, but, being a stoner, I am generally familiar with the Puff the Magic Dragon band.

This was, I thought, supposed to be a year in which we get our young players the chance to grow into stars. You can't give a manager 3 young corner outfielders and expect them all to get playing time. We need to pick the two we want to play in the majors and let the others get their playing time in the minors.

As far as the infield, we need to also decide who we think our 2nd baseman of the future is and make sure that guy is on the field as much as possible. Kinsler should have never been signed. He doesn't fit on a team that wants to give its young players room to grow.

And Green, who can't seem to make up his mind about anything, isn't the leader this team needs. It is ******* June. Pick a goddamn lineup so our future stars can start getting that consistent playing time hopefully at one spot in the lineup and one spot on the field. None of these other youngsters are like Tatis - a natural who doesn't need consistent practice before becoming good. If we keep rotating Reyes, Urias, Renfroe, France, Naylor, et. al., in and out and around the lineup, not one of them is going to reach his potential any time soon.
agree on all counts and Green should be given the year to turn it around and at least make things look respectable.....some said .500 would be adequate. But frankly I'm looking at the future of this club down the road and I would concur Green doesn't seem to be WS material as HC. Who knows for sure, he was supposedly a star in the making head coach in the minors....you gotta start somewhere. But I'm thinking this team could use a veteran manager who has been there. I'd really love it if Boch were somehow interested and the contract situation with Green allowed them to switch. I'm not sure that's possible as I think they'd eat a whole bunch of money for Green. I thought I remember reading he had a 5 year deal. It would be great if the team demonstrated an upward trajectory but it appears to be a flat sideways deal now and that series against the Marlins was brutal to watch. I guess I shouldn't have watched the RedSox/Yankees game the same time LOLOLOL. We got a long ways to go.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So my critique of the callup of Naylor wasn't ridiculous? Or are you saying that it is Greene's decision as to who comes and goes from the minors?
Your inference that Preller made the call was what I was objecting to.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The GM doesn't decide? Who decides who is on the team? If its Green who does, is it Preller who decides who the manager is?
The GM doesn’t decide who gets called up. The manager owns the roster. If that were true why would there even be a need for a manager? Did Towers tell Bochy who to play and who to bring up or send down?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The GM doesn't decide? Who decides who is on the team? If its Green who does, is it Preller who decides who the manager is?
And yes, I never liked the Green hire and said as much from day one, it is a legit criticism of Preller that I share. Extrapolating that into painting him as a BAD GM is bullshit.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The GM doesn’t decide who gets called up. The manager owns the roster. If that were true why would there even be a need for a manager? Did Towers tell Bochy who to play and who to bring up or send down?
Okay. I honestly didn't know that. I always assumed the general manager was responsible for who is on the Major League roster.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
And yes, I never liked the Green hire and said as much from day one, it is a legit criticism of Preller that I share. Extrapolating that into painting him as a BAD GM is bullshit.
A bad GM? I haven't reached that conclusion. I went over what I thought was good and bad about Preller and questioned whether we should keep him. I don't know the answer to that. You then said my entire argument was ridiculous. Maybe you can go back and read it because it is clear you don't actually feel that way.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I could be wrong but If I remember correctly, I thought I heard an interview a while back with someone (Dennis Lin?) that Preller is the one who is calling the shots as far as who comes up and goes down, with some input from Green. So I guess it's a shared decision but it seemed like he was inferring that Preller was mainly making the decision.

I wonder if they're splitting all this playing time with the AAA guys because they have so many good prospects coming up that they need to find out which ones can perform at the big league level and at the same time raise the value of some of them in order to move them (they can't keep them all).

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
A bad GM? I haven't reached that conclusion. I went over what I thought was good and bad about Preller and questioned whether we should keep him. I don't know the answer to that. You then said my entire argument was ridiculous. Maybe you can go back and read it because it is clear you don't actually feel that way.
Questioning whether we should keep Preller is ridiculous.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I could be wrong but If I remember correctly, I thought I heard an interview a while back with someone (Dennis Lin?) that Preller is the one who is calling the shots as far as who comes up and goes down, with some input from Green. So I guess it's a shared decision but it seemed like he was inferring that Preller was mainly making the decision.

I wonder if they're splitting all this playing time with the AAA guys because they have so many good prospects coming up that they need to find out which ones can perform at the big league level and at the same time raise the value of some of them in order to move them (they can't keep them all).
If that is true I stand corrected, but the method you’re describing makes sense to me, they do need to work out who is ready and who isn’t. It ties into the philosophy that this is a stretch year, not a “win the championship year”. I’d add that once the prospects mature that Green (or whoever the manager is) would be making the main decision as to who stays and who goes. I can’t imagine a manager agreeing to this arrangement forever.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015

Ugh. I don't know what to believe now. You can't find out if somebody can perform at the big league level during spot starts. We have to choose which ones we want to develop. It is called making a decision. I know it is hard, but whoever it is that gets paid to make these decisions needs to start making them.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
If that is true I stand corrected, but the method you’re describing makes sense to me, they do need to work out who is ready and who isn’t. It ties into the philosophy that this is a stretch year, not a “win the championship year”. I’d add that once the prospects mature that Green (or whoever the manager is) would be making the main decision as to who stays and who goes. I can’t imagine a manager agreeing to this arrangement forever.
I always thought Trader Jack picked the players and the manager, and Dick Williams decided everything else. Otherwise, I am unclear what a general manager is for.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017

Interesting. Makes sense re: giving the AAA guys a shot here and there to find out which ones are the future and also possibly to demonstrate value for trade purposes. I'm not so sure it makes sense that the GM is calling shots as to who plays how much and when. I'd say likely there is shared input but ultimately with a really qualified top notch manager those decisions are finalized by the manager, correct me if I'm wrong on that. GM supplies the talent and evaluates it (with input from the manager as to what he needs) and GM arranges for bringing talent up from the farm system and also makes the trades. Manager should decide everything else. Can't imagine a manager sitting there taking orders from a GM as to how much and when a player gets to play and where to put in the lineup. That would be like norb taking orders from aj and not complaining and just being a complete wimp just to have a HC job LOLOLOLOL. Is Green a norb????:eek:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Interesting. Makes sense re: giving the AAA guys a shot here and there to find out which ones are the future and also possibly to demonstrate value for trade purposes. I'm not so sure it makes sense that the GM is calling shots as to who plays how much and when. I'd say likely there is shared input but ultimately with a really qualified top notch manager those decisions are finalized by the manager, correct me if I'm wrong on that. GM supplies the talent and evaluates it (with input from the manager as to what he needs) and GM arranges for bringing talent up from the farm system and also makes the trades. Manager should decide everything else. Can't imagine a manager sitting there taking orders from a GM as to how much and when a player gets to play and where to put in the lineup. That would be like norb taking orders from aj and not complaining and just being a complete wimp just to have a HC job LOLOLOLOL. Is Green a norb????:eek:
This has always been my impression as well. That said, it does make sense that Preller had a detailed plan and needed a manager who was onboard with the plan and who could work with Preller to execute the plan - probably explains why guys like Dave Roberts and Dusty Baker were bypassed for Green. Also explains why Green has not been in danger at all of losing his job as he has been the “good soldier” executing said plan. But there has to be a time where the fruits of the farm system is ripe and at that time I would expect the roles be traditional and the manager has more latitude to make major league roster decisions.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I don't get how the current strategy of playing our future talent sporadically is a part of any good plan.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I don't get how the current strategy of playing our future talent sporadically is a part of any good plan.
Only thing I can think of as a potential reason (not that I agree with it) would be if they want to gradually bring them along and not damage them psychologically if they fail at first........but if that's the case maybe they don't have the goods to begin with. The psychological profile of a potential MLB player should be one of the ability to rebound from failure and deal with it rather than be coddled along. JMHO. Not sure that's even the reasoning. Just one thing I thought COULD be part of the process and philosophy of the management.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Only thing I can think of as a potential reason (not that I agree with it) would be if they want to gradually bring them along and not damage them psychologically if they fail at first........but if that's the case maybe they don't have the goods to begin with. The psychological profile of a potential MLB player should be one of the ability to rebound from failure and deal with it rather than be coddled along. JMHO. Not sure that's even the reasoning. Just one thing I thought COULD be part of the process and philosophy of the management.
The way to show your employees that you believe in them is to give them important work. If you keep pulling them off the job to let somebody else do the work, the confidence suffers. It is Management 102 - not for beginners but not exactly a master's course.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
He wasn't saying that Preller is telling Green who to start and sit but he's more in charge of who Green has to choose from.

Green is the one who is shuffling the lineup all the time. But I guess this is where sabremetrics comes in, though I don't know who's in charge of that on the Pads.