• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

La Mole

13 homers
Tied for 5th in MLB
5 behind the leader

It looks line Preller and/or Green are forfeiting this season for us, so I am down to rooting for individual accomplishments. Go Franimal.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
13 homers
Tied for 5th in MLB
5 behind the leader

It looks line Preller and/or Green are forfeiting this season for us, so I am down to rooting for individual accomplishments. Go Franimal.
Forfeiting? The only real chance we had this year is if everyone played out of their minds. We do have a number of players who are but the overall talent just hasn't developed yet.

Forfeiting? The only real chance we had this year is if everyone played out of their minds. We do have a number of players who are but the overall talent just hasn't developed yet.
And I am rooting for that talent to develop. If we aren't trying to win this year, I don't want to worry about wins and losses. I want to see Reyes in that homerun race. He has the power to do it.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
And I am rooting for that talent to develop. If we aren't trying to win this year, I don't want to worry about wins and losses. I want to see Reyes in that homerun race. He has the power to do it.
He's awesome. He's one of the players you don't get up to go to the bathroom when he's up, like you would Kinsler. :)

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
He's awesome. He's one of the players you don't get up to go to the bathroom when he's up, like you would Kinsler. :)
lolz.....Kinsler is gonna make you schit in your pants tonite.:laugh:

I wonder how they can unload him next year. He has no position on this team and is playing terrible. And his contract is really backloaded. $5.5M this season and jumps to $22.5M the next three seasons then $20M after that.
Their only hope is if a contending team is desperate for an outfielder that can (allegedly) hit.

Gill Man

Staff member
La Mole is a bomber.....he strikes some fear in pitchers. So does Renfroe. Those 2 oughta start consistently. The rest of the OF is meh for batting. Like Margot's defense. Myers should just be out of here.

We aren't trying to win this year so, unless Myers is part of our plans to win later, there is no reason to play him ever.
Problem is they need to play Myers with the hope he can show enough to make a playoff team want to acquire him for a stretch run. Tough sell right now, they screwed up offering all that money just to turn around and sign Hosmer when Myers looked really comfortable at 1B in 2016. When they acquired Hosmer I maintained they needed to move Myers immediately while he had value because he really is Wil the Butcher in the OF. I can’t believe they stick him in CF but where else can they play him I guess.

Gill Man

Staff member
Problem is they need to play Myers with the hope he can show enough to make a playoff team want to acquire him for a stretch run. Tough sell right now, they screwed up offering all that money just to turn around and sign Hosmer when Myers looked really comfortable at 1B in 2016. When they acquired Hosmer I maintained they needed to move Myers immediately while he had value because he really is Wil the Butcher in the OF. I can’t believe they stick him in CF but where else can they play him I guess.
Yeah true, they are hoping he demonstrates he can still play to the point he fetches value in a trade....but the way it's going, the longer he plays the more his value drops LOLZ. It's like holding onto a loser stock and hoping it bounces and goes to higher levels, but ends up going bust. :eek:

They can play him as a pinch hitter. Playing him just in hopes somebody is dumb enough to take his stupid contract isn't going to work. Let's just admit Preller made a bad call and minimize the damage.

Yeah true, they are hoping he demonstrates he can still play to the point he fetches value in a trade....but the way it's going, the longer he plays the more his value drops LOLZ. It's like holding onto a loser stock and hoping it bounces and goes to higher levels, but ends up going bust. :eek:
They can play him as a pinch hitter. Playing him just in hopes somebody is dumb enough to take his stupid contract isn't going to work. Let's just admit Preller made a bad call and minimize the damage.
They can’t just release him, baseball salaries are guaranteed and next year is when the big money kicks in. Another team can sign him, pay the minimum, and the Pads have to pay the rest - no way ownership will sign off on that, it’s not like Kinsler’s salary, it goes up pretty large next year. Yes it has turned out to be a bad signing but they literally have no choice but to try and play him and hope he snaps out of it. It’s only May, we all have acknowledged they don’t have the horses to win the WS this year, or even make the playoffs, so what’s the harm? They still have three dismal hitting catchers, no real second baseman, and their best player is on the injured list.

They can’t just release him, baseball salaries are guaranteed and next year is when the big money kicks in. Another team can sign him, pay the minimum, and the Pads have to pay the rest - no way ownership will sign off on that, it’s not like Kinsler’s salary, it goes up pretty large next year. Yes it has turned out to be a bad signing but they literally have no choice but to try and play him and hope he snaps out of it. It’s only May, we all have acknowledged they don’t have the horses to win the WS this year, or even make the playoffs, so what’s the harm? They still have three dismal hitting catchers, no real second baseman, and their best player is on the injured list.
I think the owners are more apt to take the loss than you think. Over the past two years, they got us two of the most expensive free agents of all time. We might have to get used to the idea of having owners who care more about winning than saving money.

Besides, I am no longer calling for Myers to be cut - just benched. He could be out number one pinch hitter. Play Margot or actual prospects in center.

I think the owners are more apt to take the loss than you think. Over the past two years, they got us two of the most expensive free agents of all time. We might have to get used to the idea of having owners who care more about winning than saving money.

Besides, I am no longer calling for Myers to be cut - just benched. He could be out number one pinch hitter. Play Margot or actual prospects in center.
Myers playing himself to the bench would be a more logical scenario.

Franchy Cordero was supposed to be a highly touted five-tool player. Too bad he’s injured.