Kiel Creates Chatter in Secondary

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/kiel-creates-chatter.htm

There’s the big free agent signing and the first-round draft choice, key additions to a Chargers’ secondary that figures to be much improved this fall. But as Marlon McCree warns, don’t forget about the guy that has held down the strong safety position for the last two seasons.

“People may not be talking about Terrence much right now, but they’re going to be,” McCree said. “Especially if he keeps playing the way that he did the other night.”

The sometimes soft-spoken Kiel made plenty of noise during the Chargers’ 31-20 win over Seattle Saturday night. The four-year veteran led the team in tackle with five, forced a fumble and batted away a pair of passes on third down while helping slow down one of the NFL’s best offensive teams.

Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer declared an open competition for both starting safety spots, one of which Kiel has held for the last two and a half years when he’s been healthy. Schottenheimer said Monday that Kiel and McCree are the leading candidates to win those jobs.

“Terrence did a very nice job for us the other night and had a very good camp,” Schottenheimer said. “He’s an aggressive player and a good tackler. We need him to perform back there.”

As it stands, Kiel will hold onto the strong safety spot with McCree sliding to the free side. Last season, McCree recorded 95 tackles while playing the strong spot for the Carolina Panthers. McCree is fine with the move and believes that it’s what’s best for the Chargers.

“As a strong safety, all of the action is coming to you,” McCree explained. “Teams run their offenses through their tight ends. They run to the tight end’s side and pass to the tight end. You’re lined up over the tight end, so you’re always getting action. You have to be a lot more aggressive, which Terrance is. To play free safety, you have to be a lot more patient, which I can be. I think Terrence is going to do a great job over there and I think we’re going to work really well together.”

Kiel has worked with the starting defense throughout camp, although believes that the declared competition has helped him.
Click on link for complete article.

BFISA

Nov 16, 2005
We're gonna need'im back there, thats for sure!!:yes: :bolt:

glutton4Bolts

BoltTalker
Aug 27, 2006
Kiel started off very well, but appeared to have a sophmore slump. I too expect big things from him this year. If he plays up to his ability, then the adddition of McCree will make the backfield 10 times better this year.

HEXEDBOLT

Don't like it, lump it!!!
Jul 11, 2006
It's looking to me that we may finally have the chemistry in the defensive backfield to cause some damage to our oppositions passing attack. If Kiel and McCree solidify the safety positions our whole defense can become a very devastating unit in the NFL.:bolt: :icon_party:

Boltdiehard

Jan 5, 2006
As strong as our defensive front seven is our safeties should be pumped for a year with some big plays.

This is going to be fun to watch. :bolt:

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
thejdog said:
:tdown:

Talk is cheap. This guy needs to step up his game. I'm not sure who has worse ball awarness him or QJ
I think Kiel will be fine. If nothing else, a healthy Kiel + McCree looks a heckuva lot better than Kiel + Wilson did in '04.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
thejdog said:
To me this is a sign that we still have issues at the safety position.. Kiel has underperformed since the day one.

Every PS Kiel is solid and I tell myself that he's finally "gotten it" - and every year he dissapoints. I'm not buying it anymore.
I thought Kiel was pretty good in '04. 97 tackles, 2 picks, 8 passes defended, strong in run-support...Wilson was the weakness in that secondary.

Kiel was injured last year. While he's never going to be the greatest cover guy I think we'll see him return to the physicality he showed in '03 and '04. If not, I'm with you.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Most of the team has pointed to Marlon's presence this offseason, and his veteran leadership, as one of the main reasons for their improved development.

He's doing for the young secondary guys what Keenan is for our young WRs.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
WonderSlug said:
Most of the team has pointed to Marlon's presence this offseason, and his veteran leadership, as one of the main reasons for their improved development.

He's doing for the young secondary guys what Keenan is for our young WRs.
True, but I want Marlon to have an effect in his own right due to his own abilities. If it was all about veteran leadership we coulda just kept Wilson.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Thunderstruck said:
True, but I want Marlon to have an effect in his own right due to his own abilities. If it was all about veteran leadership we coulda just kept Wilson.
Well, they (the secondary players) said that Marlon communicated to them much more than Wilson during the plays, telling them exactly where to line up, what direction the play was going in his determination, etc.

MtlBoltsFan

Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016
Jun 27, 2006
I was the first person to give Marlon the thumbs up whose name isn't GAWD :thumbup: Of course leisure wanted Chris Hope over McCree :icon_wink:

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
MtlBoltsFan said:
I was the first person to give Marlon the thumbs up whose name isn't GAWD :thumbup: Of course leisure wanted Chris Hope over McCree :icon_wink:
I'll claim second on the thumbs up.

After reviewing what Marlon did in the postseason with the Panthers, especially against shEli and the Gnats, I was smiling that we signed him and talked him up at the SDUT.

:tup:

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
WonderSlug said:
So you can claim "first" on Chargers.COM. :icon_mrgreen:
I might be able to claim first in the universe, considering he was primarily a special-teamer in '04. ;)

Isn't that typical of bad teams like the Texans, though? They let a good player walk. They have no clue how good he is and they just let him walk.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Thunderstruck said:
I might be able to claim first in the universe, considering he was primarily a special-teamer in '04. ;)

Isn't that typical of bad teams like the Texans, though? They let a good player walk. They have no clue how good he is and they just let him walk.
Speaking of the Texans, they might end up cutting their starting RB Domanick Davis, as new HC Gary Kubiak is nonplussed with his lack of production so far this offseason and preseason. The Texans forums are abuzz with chatter on that.

Sort of an egg-in-the-face especially after they passed on Reggie isn't it?

compubolt

BoltTalker
Aug 27, 2005
thejdog said:
To me this is a sign that we still have issues at the safety position.. Kiel has underperformed since the day one.

Every PS Kiel is solid and I tell myself that he's finally "gotten it" - and every year he dissapoints. I'm not buying it anymore.
back the **** off my boy. Kiel is solid, not flashy but a presence when he is around the ball carrier, plus he has a nasty streak like last year when he stomped mannings hand after manning was sacked.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
WonderSlug said:
Speaking of the Texans, they might end up cutting their starting RB Domanick Davis, as new HC Gary Kubiak is nonplussed with his lack of production so far this offseason and preseason. The Texans forums are abuzz with chatter on that.

Sort of an egg-in-the-face especially after they bypassed on Reggie isn't it?
Tally me as one of the few who thinks Texas made the right decision re: Bush. Gary Kubiak is from the Broncos school of offense, and they've never needed extraordinarily talented running-backs to make that thing go. Not saying Kubiak desrves the credit for that, but I am saying he knows the philosophy. Where I do fault the Texans is that I thought they should have taken D'Brick, not Mario Williams. With D'Brick and Barron they could've had the cornerstones of their offensive line for the next 10 years and maybe finally see what David Carr can do when he's not always running for his life.

WonderSlug

Sep 1, 2005
www.boltsplanet.com
Thunderstruck said:
Tally me as one of the few who thinks Texas made the right decision re: Bush. Gary Kubiak is from the Broncos school of offense, and they've never needed extraordinarily talented running-backs to make that thing go. Not saying Kubiak desrves the credit for that, but I am saying he knows the philosophy. Where I do fault the Texans is that I thought they should have taken D'Brick, not Mario Williams. With D'Brick and Barron they could've had the cornerstones of their offensive line for the next 10 years and maybe finally see what David Carr can do when he's not always running for his life.
You just know if they release Domanick, that people are going to jump on them about not selecting Reggie.

Although I do think their OL was in serious need and they should have been using all their first day picks on OL.

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
WonderSlug said:
Although I do think their OL was in serious need and they should have been using all their first day picks on OL.
Yup. Now Mario Williams has to play at the level of Julius Peppers or else it's a bad pick.

compubolt

BoltTalker
Aug 27, 2005
Thunderstruck said:
Yup. Now Mario Williams has to play at the level of Julius Peppers or else it's a bad pick.
problem is that they got no one to help mario, with out another threat to rush they can triple team him all day long. Maybe they would give us a first for foley??? :) :lol:

boltssbbound

Jun 16, 2006
MtlBoltsFan said:
Over on the UT forum, I screamed for Marlon over Hope in February. Hope is an overrated hack. The Stillers didn't even want the guy back.