• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

KFFL: Chargers | Merriman will reportedly drop his appeal this weekend

tboltzcali

Well-Known Member
#1
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

I heard on the radio coming home from the game yesterday that Merriman is going to drop his appeal and serve his 4 game suspension. Anyone else hear this as well?
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#2
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

tboltzcali said:
I heard on the radio coming home from the game yesterday that Merriman is going to drop his appeal and serve his 4 game suspension. Anyone else hear this as well?
I don't think anything's official yet. They were talking about the possibility on the TV broadcast. If Phillips can't go this week, I'd prefer to see Shawne drop his appeal after this weekend's game against the Browns.
 
#3
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

boltssbbound said:
I don't think anything's official yet. They were talking about the possibility on the TV broadcast. If Phillips can't go this week, I'd prefer to see Shawne drop his appeal after this weekend's game against the Browns.
I totally agree that I don't want to be without Merriman and Philips the same week. But they said something during the broadcast yesterday that I couldn't make heads nor nails of. I THOUGHT they said that if he didn't drop it this week there was a good chance that the appeal process wouldn't be resolved until after the Benglas game, in which case he (assuming he doesn't win the appeal) would be out for both Broncos games... So why not maintain the appeal until after the Browns game and then just serve the suspension?
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#4
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061030-9999-1s30chnotes.html

Merriman may drop suspension appeal

By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
October 30, 2006

After his three-sack day against the St. Louis Rams, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman planned to speak with his advisers last night and discuss the possibility of dropping the appeal of his four-game suspension.



Merriman, who tested positive for the banned steroid Nandrolone earlier this month, maintains he was the victim of a tainted supplement. But he also knows he is unlikely to win his appeal based on the NFL's clearly stated policy that players are responsible for what they put in their body.

Merriman's appeal is to be heard Nov. 7, two days after the Chargers' next game. Dropping the appeal, which could happen as early as today, would mean Merriman would miss Sunday's game against the Browns and the three that follow it. If Merriman saw the appeal through to the Nov. 7 hearing, and the NFL took its time ruling on the appeal, there would be the possibility the suspension would not start until Nov. 19 and would encompass two games against AFC West rival Denver.

“I want to do what's best for the team,” Merriman said. “I don't know what is going to happen yet.”

Merriman yesterday dropped St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger three times to move into a tie for first in the league with 8½ sacks for the season. He also hurried Bulger three times and tackled running back Steven Jackson at the line of scrimmage.
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
#5
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

he'd then be back in time for the broncos at home and I think the raiders
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#6
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

in_a_days said:
I totally agree that I don't want to be without Merriman and Philips the same week. But they said something during the broadcast yesterday that I couldn't make heads nor nails of. I THOUGHT they said that if he didn't drop it this week there was a good chance that the appeal process wouldn't be resolved until after the Benglas game, in which case he (assuming he doesn't win the appeal) would be out for both Broncos games... So why not maintain the appeal until after the Browns game and then just serve the suspension?
Merriman's hearing is set for November 7. The NFL by-laws state that the league can take up to five days to rule on an appeal. If the NFL were to wait the full five days, Merriman's suspension wouldn't start until after the Bengals game, meaning he would miss both Denver games. But I don't see why Merriman couldn't drop his appeal immediately after next week's game. That way, he'd get to play against the Browns but miss playing against the Turds. I think with Phillips and Olshansky out, I'd prefer to see Shawne play this week. Even if Phillips is ready to go, he could probably use another week of rest.

This approach makes the most sense to me.
 
#7
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

PostAnteaterCharger said:
he'd then be back in time for the broncos at home and I think the raiders
If he starts his suspension on 11/5... he'd miss

Browns-home
Bengals-away
Donks-away
Turds-home

Either way he'd miss the Broncos game in Denver... If he waits one more week to start the suspension, (to let Phillips rest) he'd miss

Bengals-away
Donks-away
Turds-home
Bills-away

Bottom line, we need him back for the 12/10 and 12/17 games... so my guess is he'll likely start the suspension on 11/5 or 11/12. I'm kind of hoping he waits until the 12th.
 
#8
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

carrie1219 said:
If he starts his suspension on 11/5... he'd miss

Browns-home
Bengals-away
Donks-away
Turds-home

Either way he'd miss the Broncos game in Denver... If he waits one more week to start the suspension, (to let Phillips rest) he'd miss

Bengals-away
Donks-away
Turds-home
Bills-away

Bottom line, we need him back for the 12/10 and 12/17 games... so my guess is he'll likely start the suspension on 11/5 or 11/12. I'm kind of hoping he waits until the 12th.
Me too. I see this game against the Brownies as a must win. Id like to see him play this week while Philips gets another week of rest.... then bring Philips back when Merriman serves his four games..... any word on when Igor is gonna be back in the lineup? We need him bad.
 
#9
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

glutton4Bolts said:
Me too. I see this game against the Brownies as a must win. Id like to see him play this week while Philips gets another week of rest.... then bring Philips back when Merriman serves his four games..... any word on when Igor is gonna be back in the lineup? We need him bad.
Nadda word. Since it was reported that he'd miss at least 3 games (sugery on 10/19).... we might start hearing more about his return after next Sunday's game.

I'm crossing my fingers that he's ready for the Denver away game.. as Merriman will more than likely be serving his suspension by then.
 

LT-Express

Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06'
Staff member
Super Moderator
#10
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

Well even if the Browns are a must win, I think we can beat them without Merriman and Phillips and Igor! I live in ohio and the browns suck really bad! We will kill the browns! I say drop the appeal and serve your 4 games now and get him back ASAP!
 

Edgar

BoltTalker
#11
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

boltssbbound said:
I don't think anything's official yet. They were talking about the possibility on the TV broadcast. If Phillips can't go this week, I'd prefer to see Shawne drop his appeal after this weekend's game against the Browns.
If he does that he misses both Denver games. I hope he drops the appeal this week. I think we can get by Cleveland without him. They have a strong Defense (Cleveland) - I think we can handle their offense without Merriman. I would hate not to have him for both Denver games.
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#12
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

Edgar said:
If he does that he misses both Denver games. I hope he drops the appeal this week. I think we can get by Cleveland without him. They have a strong Defense (Cleveland) - I think we can handle their offense without Merriman. I would hate not to have him for both Denver games.
If Merriman drops his appeal next Monday. He would miss Cincy, at Denver, at Buffalo and Oakland. He would not miss both Denver games.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#13
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

boltssbbound said:
If Merriman drops his appeal next Monday. He would miss Cincy, at Denver, at Buffalo and Oakland. He would not miss both Denver games.
Yeah, I think the appeal is more of a way for Merriman to say he is not a cheater. That his DROY last year was not tainted. That message has gotten out. There is no chance of winning such an appeal with the NFL. So I think he will drop it and take the appeal, returning in time to crush Denver with all his pent up frustration.

Word is Merriman's people have already contacted the FDA about the supliment.
 

BoltsFanUK

Well-Known Member
#14
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

I'd like to see him play in the Browns game so then we can be sure that Phillips is fully fit then he drops his appeal so then we have only one Pass Rusher missing rather than him dropping his appeal before the Browns game and then Phillips can't play either in that game
 

Edgar

BoltTalker
#15
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

boltssbbound said:
If Merriman drops his appeal next Monday. He would miss Cincy, at Denver, at Buffalo and Oakland. He would not miss both Denver games.
I read somewhere (I will go do some research) that it could take up to five days from the 7th for the NFL to give their ruling - and under that scenerio Merriman could miss both Denver games. I will go try to find the link I read that from. But if I am wrong - thanks for the clarification!
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#16
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

Edgar said:
I read somewhere (I will go do some research) that it could take up to five days from the 7th for the NFL to give their ruling - and under that scenerio Merriman could miss both Denver games. I will go try to find the link I read that from. But if I am wrong - thanks for the clarification!
That is true. But Merriman's appeal hearing is set for Tuesday, 11/7. Is there any reason why he can't drop his appeal on Monday, 11/6 and still play this weekend?
 

Thread_Killer

Well-Known Member
#18
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

The Champ said:
Well even if the Browns are a must win, I think we can beat them without Merriman and Phillips and Igor! I live in ohio and the browns suck really bad! We will kill the browns! I say drop the appeal and serve your 4 games now and get him back ASAP!
I agree. I think Buffalo is a must-win too, I'd much rather have Shawne back for that one.

We are going to kill the Browns, with or without him. :yes:
 
#19
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

If nothing else, I feel like this Chargers team is capable of winning a shootout against anyone. Even if we had the worst defense in the NFL I'd never go into a game against anyone feeling hopeless, because our offense has come around. The Browns and Bengals don't have the defense to stop us. The Bengals game may be a 42-38 type game, but I'd rather try to win that without Merriman than try to play two games against the Donks--who might be able to control our offense--without all our defensive horses in the stable.
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#20
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

Thunderstruck said:
If nothing else, I feel like this Chargers team is capable of winning a shootout against anyone. Even if we had the worst defense in the NFL I'd never go into a game against anyone feeling hopeless, because our offense has come around. The Browns and Bengals don't have the defense to stop us. The Bengals game may be a 42-38 type game, but I'd rather try to win that without Merriman than try to play two games against the Donks--who might be able to control our offense--without all our defensive horses in the stable.
Agreed. It sucks that Merriman has to miss one of the Denver games, but missing both would be catastrophic. The last thing I want is to have to go into Denver in January for a playoff game.
 

Boltdiehard

Well-Known Member
#21
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

SDC-IL said:
Bottom line:

Let's get this suspension served and behind us.
I agree. We can beat the Browns without him. He made his point this weekend and I'm glad but now he needs to do what's best for the team.

He's gonna be an angry dude when he does come back. :yes: :icon_eek: :bolt:
 

O'reilly

Well-Known Member
#22
Chargers | Merriman will reportedly drop his appeal this weekend
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:53:46 -0800

Patrick McManamon, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports San Diego Chargers LB Shawne Merriman will reportedly drop his appeal this weekend and begin serving his suspension. Merriman has been suspended four games for violating the league's steroids policy.
 
#24
with all the guys out there who must be doing steroids in the NFL, I find it odd that Merriman gets busted just in time to sit out possibly BOTH games against Denver. It wouldn't surprise me to
find out that someone in the donkey organization gave the NFL a "tip".
 
#26
His appeal is to be heard on the 7th. He has until the 6th to drop it and start serving the susp.

If he is planing on dropping the appeal, then it comes down to a coaching decision. Do you want him in the Cleveland game @Home or the Bills on the road? :icon_shrug: If Phillips is good to go this weekend he should start the susp vs Clev, tho I will be pissed not to see him play since I will be at that game.

There is no way he drags this out and jepordizes the home game vs Denver. No way. :no:
 

tboltzcali

Well-Known Member
#27
RayDahayder said:
with all the guys out there who must be doing steroids in the NFL, I find it odd that Merriman gets busted just in time to sit out possibly BOTH games against Denver. It wouldn't surprise me to
find out that someone in the donkey organization gave the NFL a "tip".
He wont miss both denver games. just the browns, bengals, broncos, raiders.
 

O'reilly

Well-Known Member
#28
Chargers | S. Phillips OUT for Week 9
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:16:02 -0800

San Diego Chargers LB Shaun Phillips (calf) is out for the Week 9 game and will be replaced by LB Marques Harris.


Chargers | Olshansky OUT for Week 9
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:14:14 -0800

San Diego Chargers DL Igor Olshansky (knee) is out for the Week 9 game and will be replaced by DL Jacques Cesaire.
 
#29
Merriman to drop his appeal/serve the 4 games

glutton4Bolts said:
any word on when Igor is gonna be back in the lineup? We need him bad.
He was slated to be out a month after surgery, so if he is still on schedule he will be back for the @Denver game and we will need him in that one.
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#30
Kwak said:
His appeal is to be heard on the 7th. He has until the 6th to drop it and start serving the susp.

If he is planing on dropping the appeal, then it comes down to a coaching decision. Do you want him in the Cleveland game @Home or the Bills on the road? :icon_shrug: If Phillips is good to go this weekend he should start the susp vs Clev, tho I will be pissed not to see him play since I will be at that game.

There is no way he drags this out and jepordizes the home game vs Denver. No way. :no:
Yeah, I'll be pizzed, too, since I'll also be at the game. But it's probably the right move.
 

Top