Kawhi

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The Raptors didn't shoot the same way they did game 1. Hopefully they can get one on the road and win the rest of the home games.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
What is left of Kawhi is about to take on what's left of the Warriors. Kawhi has been gimpy and throwing up short shots. The Warriors are without Durant and Clay Thompson. Plus Iguadala (spelling?) and Boogie are barely coming back from injuries. Still, this is guaranteed to be better than any NFL game played this decade.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
The Kawhis are about to go up 2 games to 1. It turns out they are more than just Kawhi. They got a few guys who have played well. Kawhi wasn't much of a star today. Curry, in a losing cause, was on fire.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
During the game, our Aztecs almost got mentioned. The announcers were talking about conversations with Kawhi's college teammates; they just didn't name the college.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
So let’s say Toronto wins the championship. Why wouldn’t Kawhi just stay, assuming the Raptors pay him accordingly? He has a chance to build a dynasty here. Of course he did leave one in a San Antonio. Has anyone ever briefed him on the dismal history of the Clippers? Surely he’s seen the toxic mess with the Lakers.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So let’s say Toronto wins the championship. Why wouldn’t Kawhi just stay, assuming the Raptors pay him accordingly? He has a chance to build a dynasty here. Of course he did leave one in a San Antonio. Has anyone ever briefed him on the dismal history of the Clippers? Surely he’s seen the toxic mess with the Lakers.
An Aztec is proving to the world he's the best basketball player there is. I am not worried about next year.
That being said, if he becomes an L.A. basketball player or a Celtic, I will need to find a new favorite player. Probably Embiid or the Greek Freak or that Ayton dude here in Phoenix. I like Curry too, but he's already won and I dislike looking at the close ups of him holding his mouthpiece outside his mouth.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
An Aztec is proving to the world he's the best basketball player there is. I am not worried about next year.
That being said, if he becomes an L.A. basketball player or a Celtic, I will need to find a new favorite player. Probably Embiid or the Greek Freak or that Ayton dude here in Phoenix. I like Curry too, but he's already won and I dislike looking at the close ups of him holding his mouthpiece outside his mouth.
I 100% agree on this. I had nothing else to watch last night so I figured I'd pay attention to the basketball super bowl for the sake of water cooler talk with co-workers. Interesting sport basketball is, I watched most of the game on mute and had no problem glancing up at the TV and following what was going on. I had previous co-workers who were hard core warrior fans and I kinda got on the wagon, but this time around I did what I usually do for sports and cheer for the underdog so was glad the raptors were looking like they could kill the king *so to speak* since I see GS as the Patriots of bball.

But every time I saw Curry off the court he was chewing on his mouthpiece and looked really stupid in doing so. He even was chomping down on it when he was walking to the locker room after the game. I like the guy, but damn you looked dumb.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Also why would kahri.. take warm California over cold Canada? Or do the players still live in the US and just bus north?

I will say Leonard is definitely a favorite player to me. 17 pts in the first half and like 19 in the second while holding GS to 92 their lowest post season ever. Yeah I turned the volume on toward the end of the third quarter.

And that elbow, damn that was a mean hit. 7 stitches and a lost tooth... at least from what the camera guy saw in the paint. Crazy that I never saw anyone on the court even notice it. And the floor cleaner guys didn't get out there and remove it? But they sure we're on top of any sweat left behind after a guy fell down. All in all basketball isn't bad as background filler when you got time to waste.

Also wtf is up with 12 minute quarters? Why not 15? And wtf is up with 7 timeouts!? Plus random timeouts. I see they seem to be there to give the commercials time to sell you on whatever. Caddilac, official sponsor of the nba. Wtf is up with that? Just perpetuating a steriotype I guess.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Also why would kahri.. take warm California over cold Canada? Or do the players still live in the US and just bus north?

I will say Leonard is definitely a favorite player to me. 17 pts in the first half and like 19 in the second while holding GS to 92 their lowest post season ever. Yeah I turned the volume on toward the end of the third quarter.

And that elbow, damn that was a mean hit. 7 stitches and a lost tooth... at least from what the camera guy saw in the paint. Crazy that I never saw anyone on the court even notice it. And the floor cleaner guys didn't get out there and remove it? But they sure we're on top of any sweat left behind after a guy fell down. All in all basketball isn't bad as background filler when you got time to waste.

Also wtf is up with 12 minute quarters? Why not 15? And wtf is up with 7 timeouts!? Plus random timeouts. I see they seem to be there to give the commercials time to sell you on whatever. Caddilac, official sponsor of the nba. Wtf is up with that? Just perpetuating a steriotype I guess.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
Also on that elbow replay, how weird that in slomo it didn't look that bad, but at full speed you could clearly see it was a brutal hit. If I were playing I would spread my arms out on every jump shot block attempt. It's very likely there will be a guard you can knock out of the game, no penalty.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Terrific article on ESPN sports re: Kawhi. "Who Is Kawhi Leonard?"

The whole world is finding out. This pretty much explains how he got to where he is, he works harder than anyone else and loves the game probably more than anyone else:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26930463/who-kawhi-leonard

One win away baby, go get it Kawhi!!! Good luck!!!!

(PS So sick of Golden State I truly hope Toronto puts them away tonite. Don't let that team back in it Toronto. Much of the media run by Silicon Valley is so pro Golden State that's all you hear about much of the time and how they rank historically as the greatest of all time, so hopefully Kawhi's team puts that crap to an end at least for an offseason. Funny they seem to be in shock over what is happeneing to their darlings and the team that was supposed to be unbeatable LOL)

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Terrific article on ESPN sports re: Kawhi. "Who Is Kawhi Leonard?"

The whole world is finding out. This pretty much explains how he got to where he is, he works harder than anyone else and loves the game probably more than anyone else:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26930463/who-kawhi-leonard

One win away baby, go get it Kawhi!!! Good luck!!!!

(PS So sick of Golden State I truly hope Toronto puts them away tonite. Don't let that team back in it Toronto. Much of the media run by Silicon Valley is so pro Golden State that's all you hear about much of the time and how they rank historically as the greatest of all time, so hopefully Kawhi's team puts that crap to an end at least for an offseason. Funny they seem to be in shock over what is happeneing to their darlings and the team that was supposed to be unbeatable LOL)
Magic’s Lakers, Bird’s Celtics, and Jordan’s Bulls would all crush the Warriors easily.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Magic’s Lakers, Bird’s Celtics, and Jordan’s Bulls would all crush the Warriors easily.
Agree. The Bay Area always hypes their teams to extremes. They've been terrific but let's not go overboard with the historical superiory bullshyte they always come up with when they win some championships. What's funny is they ALWAYS insist Joe Montana/Bill Walsh teams were the greatest of all time and Montana greatest of all time. But the QB who played HS in San Mateo ended up being the legitimate GOAT and same for the HC and teams he played for in NE. LOL. Suck it Bay Area.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Agree. The Bay Area always hypes their teams to extremes. They've been terrific but let's not go overboard with the historical superiory bullshyte they always come up with when they win some championships. What's funny is they ALWAYS insist Joe Montana/Bill Walsh teams were the greatest of all time and Montana greatest of all time. But the QB who played HS in San Mateo ended up being the legitimate GOAT and same for the HC and teams he played for in NE. LOL. Suck it Bay Area.
I went to our Super Bowl and saw the 9ers post Montana. It was, by far, the best team I ever saw. It seemed like every player on that team was a Hall of Fame and/or All Pro. There were more players on that team that could carry a team to a winning record almost by oneself than any other team I know of. That era of football, with the Cowboys, 9ers, and Packers, was the NFL's version of the current NBA superteam era.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
I went to our Super Bowl and saw the 9ers post Montana. It was, by far, the best team I ever saw. It seemed like every player on that team was a Hall of Fame and/or All Pro. There were more players on that team that could carry a team to a winning record almost by oneself than any other team I know of. That era of football, with the Cowboys, 9ers, and Packers, was the NFL's version of the current NBA superteam era.
that was the Steve Young version. And yes they were dominant and probably the best of all time UP TO THAT POINT. But it was a different era. It's like the Washington Redskin Hogs under Gibbs were considered huge for that era.....now they would look like wimps compared with linemen today. The whole game has changed and I'd wager the Pats would kill those niner teams, it wouldn't even be close. But yeah for that era they were damn good. Same goes for the Packers and THEIR era. I guess also you'd have to realize the rules have entirely changed from those old days....now the offenses are given every advantage. So depending on what rules they play under would influence the outcome if any of those old teams played today's teams. But even with that the players have gotten bigger and faster.....different training and likely more ways to beat the system with drugs. It's why I say that Fouts and Co. and what Coryell did was historic and will always be incomparable because they did what they did when offenses weren't babied like they are today.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Eff the Warriors. Eff that game. If Raptors choke this away that would be very lame. I doubt they will but they have to be hearing footsteps now. They should not have let that one get away. Ah well, they won 2 at GS so should put this away , if not in game 6, definitely game 7.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The Warrior pulled up to 3-2 but lost Durant. Not that it’s that big of a deal to them because he’s been out since the semi finals, but it sucks pretty bad for him seeing how he’s gonna be a free agent.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
The Warrior pulled up to 3-2 but lost Durant. Not that it’s that big of a deal to them because he’s been out since the semi finals, but it sucks pretty bad for him seeing how he’s gonna be a free agent.
Apparently torn achilles is the initial assessment. The medical staff on the Warriors should be highly questioned re: letting the guy practice then play on that 'calf injury' if indeed he had an achilles issue that placed him at risk for a complete tear by playing before it was fully healed. Devastaing injury and it's sounding to me like the medical staff and the Warriors organization are liable for damages if they let the guy play.......sure they needed a win badly but to risk a player's health like that? Stupid and unethical and negligent. I would not doubt if a lawsuit is coming.

Finally, the stupid Toronto fans who cheered the injury might have given GS exactly what they needed to pull a championship out of the hat. There can be no doubt that is the talk in the GS lockerroom the rest of the series and they probaby talked it up all the way home on the flight back to the Bay Area. Toronto fans screwed their team with that classless act. You NEVER EVER give an opponent motivation like that and especially not the Warriors when you have them down 3-1. Ridiculous Toronto fans may greatly regret that.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Apparently torn achilles is the initial assessment. The medical staff on the Warriors should be highly questioned re: letting the guy practice then play on that 'calf injury' if indeed he had an achilles issue that placed him at risk for a complete tear by playing before it was fully healed. Devastaing injury and it's sounding to me like the medical staff and the Warriors organization are liable for damages if they let the guy play.......sure they needed a win badly but to risk a player's health like that? Stupid and unethical and negligent. I would not doubt if a lawsuit is coming.

Finally, the stupid Toronto fans who cheered the injury might have given GS exactly what they needed to pull a championship out of the hat. There can be no doubt that is the talk in the GS lockerroom the rest of the series and they probaby talked it up all the way home on the flight back to the Bay Area. Toronto fans screwed their team with that classless act. You NEVER EVER give an opponent motivation like that and especially not the Warriors when you have them down 3-1. Ridiculous Toronto fans may greatly regret that.
Did they cheer the injury or the steal and the basket with a foul?

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Did they cheer the injury or the steal and the basket with a foul?
I did not see it but that is what Yahoo Sports is reporting. Now the thing is maybe you are right, because who is Yahoo Sports run by? Silicon Valley? Who does Silicon Valley worship? The Warriors. So maybe they are creating something that is not there in order to motivate their darlings and try to make a case for their stupid assertion they are the best team of all time. I hate the Bay Area and their sports teams and all the hype over the years. It's a personal deal with me 'cause I have relatives up there who , going WAAAAAY back were San Franciscans and when we played OAK in that championship game they pulled for OAK over our SD team...I never got over that. Plus it's non stop gloating whenever they win anything. GO RAPTORS!!! GO KAWHI!!!!!!!

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Ok here is the Yahoo Sports article:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-finals-kevin-durant-injury-game-5-fans-cheering-toronto-raptors-reactions-024600888.html

Now if you read the headline it sounds horrible. Then if you read the article in detail it sounds not bad at all, like 'several fans' were cheering the injury. Big deal. And if you read further it specifically says the crowd acknowledged KD with cheers for him as he was helped off the court and chanting "KD", "KD"......sounds to me like probably 99% of the Toronto crowd were classy. But leave it to Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry and especially Yahoo Sports (Silicon Valley) to try to hype the issue to the extreme in order to motivate their team. WTF. Typical Bay Area as I said.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Ok here is the Yahoo Sports article:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-finals-kevin-durant-injury-game-5-fans-cheering-toronto-raptors-reactions-024600888.html

Now if you read the headline it sounds horrible. Then if you read the article in detail it sounds not bad at all, like 'several fans' were cheering the injury. Big deal. And if you read further it specifically says the crowd acknowledged KD with cheers for him as he was helped off the court and chanting "KD", "KD"......sounds to me like probably 99% of the Toronto crowd were classy. But leave it to Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry and especially Yahoo Sports (Silicon Valley) to try to hype the issue to the extreme in order to motivate their team. WTF. Typical Bay Area as I said.
It was the announcers who made it seem like the crowd was cheering the injury when it just looked like they were cheering a big play for the Raptors. If there were a couple who cheered Durant's injury, those bad manners aren't unique to Toronto basketball fans, who gave the opposing player a standing ovation.

I've seen east-coast fans cheer when their own quarterbacks get hurt because they wanted the backup in. I've seen East coast fans pelt players and coaches with ice balls - they murdered Sid Brooks. Or how about when Cleveland fans were throwing shit at the refs to the point the refs had to run for their lives? Is there mass bitching about any of that?

Did anybody watch the other game when some Warriors fan pushed a Raptor - Kyle Lowry? The announcers didn't birch about Warriors fans attacking players. Instead, the announcers went after Kyle Lowry for complaining about the push.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gill Man

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I remember in 1992, in my section (endzone corner in the western part of the stadium) there were Chargers fans who cheered an injured Bengals WR after he had scored on a long pass play. A fan turned to them and said something like “really, cheering for an injury?” and one of the cheering fans “hey, that’s how we do it baby!” So classlessness isn’t unique and I’d agree 99% of the fans wouldn’t cheer an injury (though I can’t vouch for Raiders fans).

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Kawhi has had moments today, but, so far, the star is Lowry. Of course, being an amateur basketball fan, I am only noticing the defense when it is obvious - like when Kawhi used his speedy Aztec Godlike arms to block a Curry shot.
Speaking of Curry, he has come really close multiple times this series of sinking a full-court shot. He is by far the best shooter of a basketball I have ever paid attention to.

ThunderHorse17

Lone Wolf
Apr 10, 2010
Missouri
This game has been a shootout. Also a rookie fan of basketball for now. But I got home after it started but was like 25 21 at that point. I've seen a ton of defense influencing game flow. I saw tons of intercepted or stolen passes.

Cmon Raptors shut this series down tonight. By being the last team to score far as how this games going.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
This game has been a shootout. Also a rookie fan of basketball for now. But I got home after it started but was like 25 21 at that point. I've seen a ton of defense influencing game flow. I saw tons of intercepted or stolen passes.

Cmon Raptors shut this series down tonight. By being the last team to score far as how this games going.
You missed Lowry make a whole bunch of baskets, a great Iguadala layup under a charging Raptor, and Curry and Thompson looking like how Curry and Thompson always look - money.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
It is funny rooting for a player who the refs favor. The announcers tried to make some excuse for why the refs didn't call traveling on Kawhi, who jumped up and down twice in a row while holding the ball.