Kawhi

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Can our Aztec God take down the rest of the League again? So far, so good.
He’s got a real good shot. If Boston can take down Milwaukee it’s a virtual lock, but if they have to face Milwaukee it will be tough. If they win the Eastern Conference I really like their chances.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Hoping he leads the Raptors to the NBA Finals. He'll find his way back to the west coast after this season. Possibly with the LA Clippers.
Yuck. If he purposefully plays for L.A., he might have to turn in his Aztec card. Otherwise, go Kawhi.

Reactions: SDRay

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Looks like our old friend Kawhi is a one man show and that’s not enough to take down Philly.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Looks like our old friend Kawhi is a one man show and that’s not enough to take down Philly.
Actually MY Toronto Raptors were 17-5 during the regular season WITHOUT Kawhi....And last night, they easily beat the 76'ers with a balanced effort from the whole team. Kawhi Leonard was rested systematically during the season, for the very purpose of keeping him fresh and ready to dominate in the playoffs. He has responded with historically great performances in the first 2 rounds; but his contributions go beyond the his audacious stat lines. His defensive prowess is a perfect fit for the Raptors defensive style, and in this series, he has all but erased Ben Simmons from the 76'ers lineup.
Toronto and Milwaukee have been the best teams in the East, and feature the best two players in the conference in Kawhi, and Giannis Antetokounmpo. I for one, would love to see these two go head to head in the Eastern Finals. I believe/hope the Raptors have the deeper roster and it would be a dream to see them in the NBA Finals. I've been a Raptors season ticket holder since their inception!

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Actually MY Toronto Raptors were 17-5 during the regular season WITHOUT Kawhi....And last night, they easily beat the 76'ers with a balanced effort from the whole team. Kawhi Leonard was rested systematically during the season, for the very purpose of keeping him fresh and ready to dominate in the playoffs. He has responded with historically great performances in the first 2 rounds; but his contributions go beyond the his audacious stat lines. His defensive prowess is a perfect fit for the Raptors defensive style, and in this series, he has all but erased Ben Simmons from the 76'ers lineup.
Toronto and Milwaukee have been the best teams in the East, and feature the best two players in the conference in Kawhi, and Giannis Antetokounmpo. I for one, would love to see these two go head to head in the Eastern Finals. I believe/hope the Raptors have the deeper roster and it would be a dream to see them in the NBA Finals. I've been a Raptors season ticket holder since their inception!
Those two teams should be in the Eastern Finals, that’s for sure. Toronto did bounce back nicely. They do have to play seven!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Did we all see the Aztec's dunk over Embid? Badass. And, to think, with us, Leonard was known mostly for his defense. From what I've heard, Kawhi still is one of the best defenders, but now it looks like he is among the best offensive players as well. The guy is basketball's version of Leslie O'Neal and Dan Fouts at the same time. Is he the best player in the NBA right now? To this very new NBA fan, it sure looks like it. But, while I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to the NFL from the late 80s through the 90s, I know I have no clue when it comes to the NBA from any decade.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Did we all see the Aztec's dunk over Embid? Badass. And, to think, with us, Leonard was known mostly for his defense. From what I've heard, Kawhi still is one of the best defenders, but now it looks like he is among the best offensive players as well. The guy is basketball's version of Leslie O'Neal and Dan Fouts at the same time. Is he the best player in the NBA right now? To this very new NBA fan, it sure looks like it. But, while I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to the NFL from the late 80s through the 90s, I know I have no clue when it comes to the NBA from any decade.
I don’t know who would be considered the best now, for the longest time it was a battle between James and Curry, but right now I don’t really think anyone can be considered THE best. Certainly Kawhi is in the conversation.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I don’t know who would be considered the best now, for the longest time it was a battle between James and Curry, but right now I don’t really think anyone can be considered THE best. Certainly Kawhi is in the conversation.
Okay. I vote Kawhi. Suck on that, Freak, Embiid, Lebron, or anybody who used to or may still play for OKC. OKC - the Expos of the NBA.

Last edited:

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
*Ahem* :D

Seriously, I see Toronto pulling this out at home in Game 7.
That was really an observation, more so than a prediction!...but I did expect a better game from them last night.

I'll be at the game 7..................but my game privileges were removed by my son, after I went to my first game in a long time - game 1 against Orlando- and Kyle Lowery had an 0 for!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
That game ending was nuts. I, Quetzalcoatl, the most important Aztec god, got that last bounce to go in. You're welcome, Kawhi.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Series tied 2-2!
I read somewhere that the Eastern Finals featuring the best to teams in the East, Milwaukee and Toronto, is receiving TV ratings 40% lower than last year's Eastern Finals! Of course those numbers do not take in to account Canadian viewers, but I think it's safe to say that NBA brass would've preferred a PHI vs. BOS matchup!
On another side note, restaurant owners in Toronto have started a "Kawhine and Dine" campaign to offer Leonard free food for life, if he chooses to sign with the Raptors!
Back to Milwaukee for game 5 tomorrow night! It's now a best of 3 series!

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Series tied 2-2!
I read somewhere that the Eastern Finals featuring the best to teams in the East, Milwaukee and Toronto, is receiving TV ratings 40% lower than last year's Eastern Finals! Of course those numbers do not take in to account Canadian viewers, but I think it's safe to say that NBA brass would've preferred a PHI vs. BOS matchup!
On another side note, restaurant owners in Toronto have started a "Kawhine and Dine" campaign to offer Leonard free food for life, if he chooses to sign with the Raptors!
Back to Milwaukee for game 5 tomorrow night! It's now a best of 3 series!
Had it been the NFL, Boston and Philly would probably still be in it. So would L.A. Instead, we get good teams who deserve to be there and are more interesting to watch for people who like basketball for basketball. It isn't like the most interesting things about Kawhi and the Freak are that their teams have won a bunch of championships, their girlfriends are models, or that they cheat. For whatever reason, winning a shit load of championships on a starting team of five hasn't proven Steph Curry the greatest baskestball player there has ever been like winning championships on starting teams of 22 have proven Montana and Brady, who never even played defense, the greatest ever football players.

The NBA is trying to rectify potential ratings troubles by giving the Lakers extremely lucky lottery drafts two out of three years and making sure the Pelicans star has as easy as oath as possible to said Lakers. The better move, however, would be to fire honest talking heads like Barkley and replace them with the giggly ass-kissing hype machines that permeate NFL broadcasts. Baseball needs to do the same. Get knowledgeable, professional broadcasters like Vin Scully the fuck out of here already and get somebody who will hype the shit out of current players as the greatest there have ever been.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Congrats to Kawhi and the Raptors! Off to the finals to face GS. The Bucks were up by 15 at one point but you know who took over.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
So far, Kawhi has been struggling offensively. The rest of the team is doing well. And, even when Kawhi isn't getting it done offensively, his D is still a factor. Hopefully my new team of the moment will still be in it the next time I post. Warriors always look like they are a moment away from a 50-point run.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Toronto is still in it, but Kawhi looks really frustrated. This is his worst game of this year's post season.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Curry is getting mugged by the Raptors, and the refs aren't doing much about it. Maybe the fix is in for this game?

Anyway - Siakam (spelling?) is the star so far.

Let's go, Kawhi.

handoverfist

BoltTalker
Sep 10, 2018
Raptors, so far, look like, at least at home, to be tough competition for the Warriors.
"So far, looks like, at least at home"?..... way to be decisive Q!:roflmao:

I think what most of the basketball watching world doesn't/didn't realize is how GOOD the Raptors DEFENSE is! Kawhi and his two way ball was the perfect addition to a system (Dwane Casey's) that demands defensive responsibility. GM Masai Ujiri has built a TEAM in an era where players have formed their own little clique teams! A team that features relative unknowns like Fred VanVleet, Pascal Siakam, Norman Powell, Danny Green, etc....and stars like Kyle Lowry and of course Leonard. Last year, he traded away DeMar DeRozen -who was signed longterm- for Leonard -longterm?-.... traded away C Jonas Valanciunas for Mark Gasol....and replaced longtime coach Dwane Casey with the flashier Rick Nurse....He's all in for THIS YEAR!!!

A lot more basketball to be played before this thing is settled, and I expect GS to make this interesting; but seeing the effect this whole run has had on the city I've called home for that last 35+ years has been pleasurable experience. I was here for both of the Blue Jays' World Series wins and I think this one would be BIGGER! LET'S GO RAPTORS!

Last edited: