Kaepernick to get a workout

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Kaepernick had a legit beef regarding police brutality against black people. I wish he had chosen a way less offensive way of taking a stand, but just about every successful protest had something shitty about it. It isn't like I think marches that tie up traffic are without a large degree of annoyance.
Where Kaepernick lost me is when he let the NFL pay him off to keep his mouth shut about something. That showed that, even if this protest started as something greater than Kaepernick, he eventually let down the movement and began thinking purely about himself. Now all his actions are about Kaepernick and no longer about fighting police brutality. If he was going to take on the job as the face of a movement, he shouldn't have turned a bunch of patriots (real vets and wannabes) against the movement and then turned said movement into something that is now purely about Kaepernick's NFL career. He turned a serious movement started by others into the Kaepernick football show. He didn't help. I mean - look what you guys are arguing about. It isn't about police brutality against black people; it is about Kaepernick's NFL career. I don't remember the history books talking about MLK's fight to get a top TV evangelist job or Frederick Douglass's effort to score a big payday. Those guys didn't treat their movements as sideshows for some entertainment corporation.
well said. It does seem like everything he does is a side show. I don't really know his involvement behind the scenes and out of the public eye re: advancing the cause he speaks about. If he is doing a lot to advance those causes in areas we just don't know about, and he works diligently and seriously without creating unnecessary antagonism, then good on him. But his biggest stage was the football field and he used it and then that petered out because he caused a large segment of the fanbase the NFL and it's owners needed to be on board with to get turned off and create a backlash against the league. It's a divisive issue. He could have played football, tried to do his best to improve and get to a starring role in the SB and just done his political platform in another venue...away from the football field and tried to speak intellectually about it in that venue. I think the team/league even offered to give him a day or several hours every week or whatever to voice his opinion/concerns as long as it didn't involve the football field/national anthem. I'm thinking he would have been more effective had he gone that route.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
The NFL did not participate in the workout at the school. Individual teams had reps there, but many teams had their reps go home.

Could it be that they wanted to take the teeth out of Kaps propaganda? That is a very good reason to give him a workout. Then if he is not signed, they tried, especially if it comes down to Kap refusing to take a contract or be a backup.

It is cool that you see Kap and team as upstanding and non-manipulative in this. I don't for reasons I mentioned, but we can agree to disagree. I appreciate you posting your thoughts on the topic.
I like discussing differing viewpoints with you as you are respectful about it. I don’t think Kaep and team are not manipulative, but the NFL is worse and gets zero pass from me. Maybe I’d change my viewpoint if Kaep came out as a Nazi.

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Kaepernick had a legit beef regarding police brutality against black people. I wish he had chosen a way less offensive way of taking a stand, but just about every successful protest has something shitty about it. It isn't like I think marches that tie up traffic are without a large degree of annoyance.
Where Kaepernick lost me is when he let the NFL pay him off to keep his mouth shut about something. That showed that, even if this protest started as something greater than Kaepernick, he eventually let down the movement and began thinking purely about himself. Now all his actions are about Kaepernick and no longer about fighting police brutality. If he was going to take on the job as the face of a movement, he shouldn't have turned a bunch of patriots (real vets and wannabes) against the movement and then turned said movement into something that is now purely about Kaepernick's NFL career. He turned a serious movement started by others into the Kaepernick football show. He didn't help. I mean - look what you guys are arguing about. It isn't about police brutality against black people; it is about Kaepernick's NFL career. I don't remember the history books talking about MLK's fight to get a top TV evangelist job or Frederick Douglass's effort to score a big payday. Those guys didn't treat their movements as sideshows for some entertainment corporation.
Folks telling Kap why he does things. Folks claiming he should take the money (for being denied employment) and go away. Folks saying;/ believing coporate lies about skills that can't beat out a two year unemployed qb with two passes thrown, he should have stayed in line and now gets out of line. Kneel why you're told to kneel.

Same thing, same America

Lincoln Theodore Monroe Andrew Perry, better known by the stage name Stepin Fetchit, was an American vaudevillian, comedian, and film actor of Jamaican and Bahamian descent, considered to be the first black actor to have a successful film career.
. "Fetch it" implies bring an object to someone else. There was a black actor, Lincoln Theodore Monroe Andrew Perry, also known as Stepin Fetchit (1902 - 1985): ".an African-American actor known for his film portrayal of stereotypical African-American minstrel characters.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I like discussing differing viewpoints with you as you are respectful about it. I don’t think Kaep and team are not manipulative, but the NFL is worse and gets zero pass from me. Maybe I’d change my viewpoint if Kaep came out as a Nazi.
What got me with Kap is the video a couple years ago where Kap was asked around thanksgiving what he was thankful for, and he said he has nothing to be thankful for in this country.
Both of my sons are in the Navy, but I support Kaps right to say and do as he pleases.
I told friends when everyone was up in arms over Kaps kneeling that he was not blocking ambulances from getting to the hospitals, burning cars or what have you.
Do I agree with it, no. The reason is he lumped the good cops with the bad cops. But I supported his right. When he said he had nothing to be thankful for, a young man raised by another family, making millions playing a game and having the freedom to take his stand... He lost me all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwak

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
What if Kaepernick came out as a Spanos?

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Folks telling Kap why he does things. Folks claiming he should take the money (for being denied employment) and go away. Folks saying;/ believing coporate lies about skills that can't beat out a two year unemployed qb with two passes thrown, he should have stayed in line and now gets out of line. Kneel why you're told to kneel.

Same thing, same America

Lincoln Theodore Monroe Andrew Perry, better known by the stage name Stepin Fetchit, was an American vaudevillian, comedian, and film actor of Jamaican and Bahamian descent, considered to be the first black actor to have a successful film career.
. "Fetch it" implies bring an object to someone else. There was a black actor, Lincoln Theodore Monroe Andrew Perry, also known as Stepin Fetchit (1902 - 1985): ".an African-American actor known for his film portrayal of stereotypical African-American minstrel characters.
Once Kaepernick put himself as the celebrity face of a movement, he should have kept his focus on the movement and not his personal career. The movement against police brutality might have worked without him. Because of him, the news has focused on the spectacle of Kaepernick the quarterback instead of the importance of figuring out a way to stop or at least lessen police brutality against black people. Kaepernick took on an issue that required a greater sacrifice than he was willing to make; his actions ended up hurting all the work put in by all the non-celebrities involved in the movement. Those men and women don't have millions of dollars and a Nike contract to fall back on. All they got is a failed movement that they need to take back from Kaepernick and then start again from square one.

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I encourage anyone who believes in police brutality to join the force and change it from within.

Police departments across the nation encourage minorities to join.

Reactions: Concudan

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I encourage anyone who believes in police brutality to join the force and change it from within.

Police departments across the nation encourage minorities to join.
No thanks. I also won't be joining the Spanos Fan Club in order to change the organization from within. How about if our politicians start doing the right thing and not dismiss complaints from both black people and the police? How about if our leaders try to solve the problem instead of just drumming up hate for both sides? I don't believe all those black people who complain about police brutality are making it up, and I don't believe that many police chose their careers so they could beat up black people. The people in charge, the ones who get paid the big bucks to solve the people's problems, are the ones who need to fix this. It isn't my job. I already have one, and, unlike many politicians, I actually do the job I am paid to do.

That is it for my politics on the football section. Sorry Fender.

So, how about if the Spanoses sell the team to somebody who will put the team back in San Diego? And how about if San Diegans start showing up to support the Aztecs? That crowd size last night for the game between our football team and its greatest rival was lame. I know we aren't winning a championship this year, but our team has been winning more games than it has been losing and isn't threatening to move to L.A.

Last edited:

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Imagine Kap suddenly turning into Baker Mayfield.
Would he now be a rebel? An American athlete soeajking his mind and keeping his job?

Sunday funnies...watch out.....we will remove you:)