Kaepernick to get a workout

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
This season isn't over, and Rivers is already guaranteed to eclipse the pathetic 1-10 record that Kaepernick posted in his final season with San Francisco. Philip has had good games this season, and some disturbingly bad ones, most notably the last one in which all that was needed to win was a field goal, and Rivers' recklessness cost the team a chance to even attempt one.

One factor that has been apparent in most if not all of Philip's stinkers over the years and especially most recently, is that he's been under constant attack due to our notoriously substandard offensive line. Nobody has ever referred to Rivers as "mobile", but that was supposed to be one of the strengths of Colin's game - he can run or pass, a dual threat weapon that the Ravens completely shut down for 4 plays on the goal line to win Superbowl XLVII and that defensive coordinators had little to no problem containing afterwards, leading to his ineffectiveness causing him to be benched in his final (so far) NFL season.
Ah, I miss ChairCrusher's long, elusive, red herring manifestos.
So you are not acknowledging that CK's "stinking it up" at 90.7 is better than PR's "explainable" 90.6?

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Lamar Jackson makes Colin Kapernick look like Philip Rivers:laugh:

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
So you are not acknowledging that CK's "stinking it up" at 90.7 is better than PR's "explainable" 90.6?
I'm acknowledging that this season isn't completed yet - Philip may end up with better a better passer rating than Kaepernick's 90.7 from his last NFL season or he may end up with a worse one, we won't know for another month or so. I've also acknowledged that our Canton-bound QB has had some stinker games this season, and has made poor decisions that cost his team chances to win.

Nice projection though, you seem pretty reluctant to acknowledge Colin's hideous performance when he last had the opportunity to lead a n NFL team, probably because to do so would put the lie to this asinine collusion fantasy.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
I'm acknowledging that this season isn't completed yet - Philip may end up with better a better passer rating than Kaepernick's 90.7 from his last NFL season or he may end up with a worse one, we won't know for another month or so. I've also acknowledged that our Canton-bound QB has had some stinker games this season, and has made poor decisions that cost his team chances to win.

Nice projection though, you seem pretty reluctant to acknowledge Colin's hideous performance when he last had the opportunity to lead a n NFL team, probably because to do so would put the lie to this asinine collusion fantasy.
As I routinely told ChairCusher: "A simple 'Yes' will suffice"... :roflmao:

p.s. I apologize for not using PR's full 2019 season stats, as I felt reluctant to make-up #s for the remaining 6 games

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
As I routinely told ChairCusher: "A simple 'Yes' will suffice"... :roflmao:

p.s. I apologize for not using PR's full 2019 season stats, as I felt reluctant to make-up #s for the remaining 6 games
Sometimes people have more to say than simply yes or no. At this point, Philip has played in 1 fewer game than Colin did in 2016 - Monday in Mexico City will correct that. Rivers has traditionally done pretty poorly vs KC, we'll see how he does tomorrow. No matter what passer rating he possesses following the next game, barring injury or some other strange circumstance, Philip will have the opportunity to improve upon his stats, whereas Kaepernick was benched for his incompetence and subsequently chose to leave the 49ers.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Sometimes people have more to say than simply yes or no. At this point, Philip has played in 1 fewer game than Colin did in 2016 - Monday in Mexico City will correct that. Rivers has traditionally done pretty poorly vs KC, we'll see how he does tomorrow. No matter what passer rating he possesses following the next game, barring injury or some other strange circumstance, Philip will have the opportunity to improve upon his stats, whereas Kaepernick was benched for his incompetence and subsequently chose to leave the 49ers.
No.

Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
“And if nothing else, that shows the NFL believes at least one of two things. Either that Kaepernick’s settled collusion case isn’t the last time his lawyers open fire on the league, or that the NFL may be vulnerable to a federal lawsuit. Indeed, the league may believe both.”

Reactions: Faded Blues

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
“And if nothing else, that shows the NFL believes at least one of two things. Either that Kaepernick’s settled collusion case isn’t the last time his lawyers open fire on the league, or that the NFL may be vulnerable to a federal lawsuit. Indeed, the league may believe both.”

lawyers for both sides are running the show.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
To be clear:

I don’t agree with kap’s political opinions, but I hope buries the nfl with his collision suit.

My opinion from reading the article is that
Kap is going to file a federal suit against the nfl.
This past weekends workout is tied to the upcoming suit and the nfls waiver that tried to get kap to waive his right to suit.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
To be clear:

I don’t agree with kap’s political opinions, but I hope buries the nfl with his collision suit.

My opinion from reading the article is that
Kap is going to file a federal suit against the nfl.
This past weekends workout is tied to the upcoming suit and the nfls waiver that tried to get kap to waive his right to suit.
Bingo. It was all about a pre-emptive strike.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
...we'll see how he does tomorrow. No matter what passer rating he possesses following the next game, barring injury or some other strange circumstance, Philip will have the opportunity to improve upon his stats...
After "tomorrow"...

Colin: 2016: 16 TD / 4 INT = "benched for his incompetence"
Philip: 2019: 15 TD / 14 INT = "obviously far superior...if you're just willing to ChairCrusher it, a bit..."

Reactions: wrbanwal

Harryo the K

Aug 26, 2017
Detroit Lions

That leaves David Blough, the undrafted rookie who played surprisingly well as the Lions’ starter on Thanksgiving, as the most likely starter going forward.

To back Blough up, the Lions have signed Kyle Sloter to the active roster from the Cardinals’ practice squad. The Lions also signed quarterback Joe Callahan to the practice squad.
———————————————————————————

Okay, all together now.....”Kapernick's skill set isn't good enough and/or he wants $20 million per year, for min.of five years.”

Blackballed by the Corporation.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I think to a degree kap doesn’t want to play either.
Canceling the NFL workout and moving to his 'private' workout close by. A workout at a public school which means that team Kap had to apply to use it before hand, but only told NFL teams and the NFL itself 40 minutes or so before the workout?
Then wearing a Kunta Kinte (SP?) shirt while working out?

Yeah, he is sending a clear message that he does not want to work in the NFL. Actions speak louder than words. His actions are those of someone who is enjoying the spotlight he made for himself as a victim, IMHO.

He used scripted routs, but still had accuracy issues deep. Reports are that he was ok, good enough to be on a roster (if he wanted to be)..
https://www.dailywire.com/news/how-did-kaepernicks-workout-go-heres-what-the-scouts-are-saying <-- Harry, this is a link. There are many like it, use them... ;)

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport spoke to four scouts and reported on their general findings, via NFL.com:

» There were 60 scripted throws, no runs, no agility work. He was in good shape, as we thought he’d be. Arm strength was definitely still there and he had some real zip on the ball. But he had some accuracy issues on his deep throws. Good enough to be on a roster, likely backup level.
» He was in good shape and he has a fastball. The velocity was real good. Accuracy and touch were inconsistent. On deep balls, he was ordinary. He can still run well. Essentially average overall.
» Good velocity. Accuracy and touch were average.
» Good showing. Thought he looked like he did when he was last on the field.
Kaepernick filed a lawsuit against the NFL, which was settled earlier this year, “alleging that team owners and managers (and, allegedly, President Donald Trump) conspired to lock him out of a position with a new team after he turned down a one year contract extension from the San Francisco 49ers,” The Daily Wire’s Emily Zanotti reported last week. “Kaepernick, by then, had become famous less for his arm than for kneeling during patriotic pre-game festivities in protest of institutional racism.”
The liability waiver that his team used as an excuse to move the workouts (will explain 'excuse' in a moment) is a standard waiver signed by everyone who works out for a team, including every draft candidate at the combines.
Why do I say it was an excuse? Because what I understand is team Kap refused to sign it, the day of the workout, when the NFL presented it. However, again, he held HIS workout at a public school. You cannot use public schools without applying for a permit and paying the fees. The Schools demand proof of insurance or a bond to cover any injuries or damage to the facilities. You don't get that in 40 minutes, meaning that team Kap set this up days before, knowing they were going to move it.

The waiver Kaepernick was upset over was a “standard liability waiver based on the waiver used by National Invitational Camp at all NFL Combines and by NFL clubs when trying out free agent players,” the NFL said.
If Kap really wanted back in the league, he just pissed on his best chance for it. He made himself look like a Diva, rather than a hungry player who wants to play the game.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Canceling the NFL workout and moving to his 'private' workout close by. A workout at a public school which means that team Kap had to apply to use it before hand, but only told NFL teams and the NFL itself 40 minutes or so before the workout?
Then wearing a Kunta Kinte (SP?) shirt while working out?

Yeah, he is sending a clear message that he does not want to work in the NFL. Actions speak louder than words. His actions are those of someone who is enjoying the spotlight he made for himself as a victim, IMHO.

He used scripted routs, but still had accuracy issues deep. Reports are that he was ok, good enough to be on a roster (if he wanted to be)..
https://www.dailywire.com/news/how-did-kaepernicks-workout-go-heres-what-the-scouts-are-saying <-- Harry, this is a link. There are many like it, use them... ;)

The liability waiver that his team used as an excuse to move the workouts (will explain 'excuse' in a moment) is a standard waiver signed by everyone who works out for a team, including every draft candidate at the combines.
Why do I say it was an excuse? Because what I understand is team Kap refused to sign it, the day of the workout, when the NFL presented it. However, again, he held HIS workout at a public school. You cannot use public schools without applying for a permit and paying the fees. The Schools demand proof of insurance or a bond to cover any injuries or damage to the facilities. You don't get that in 40 minutes, meaning that team Kap set this up days before, knowing they were going to move it.

If Kap really wanted back in the league, he just pissed on his best chance for it. He made himself look like a Diva, rather than a hungry player who wants to play the game.
It wasn’t a standard waiver, the NFL broadened it, Kaepernick declined to sign the unusual waiver and held the workout at the school. Nothing unusual about setting it up beforehand, he knew of the clause well before that Saturday and knew the dangerous language the waiver entailed. He was protecting his assets, namely, his body, by taking control of the workout.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Bottom line....who wants to sign a backup QB with that baggage? The analysis of the workout said it,,,,,he's good enough to be a backup, that's it. The dude has accuracy issues on deep routes. It's what killed him when he was starting for SF....he couldn't take them past a certain point and when up against SEA D he caved and lost the game for them. They would have likely won a ring with Alex Smith. Harbaugh effed that one up bigtime. But now he's merely a serviceable backup. He's burned too many bridges and carries too much baggage for any team to sign him as a backup. Time to move on. And agree with faded....he doesn't really want it that badly. He is more into politics than football, his choice. JMHO.

Reactions: Kwak and Concudan

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Bottom line....who wants to sign a backup QB with that baggage? The analysis of the workout said it,,,,,he's good enough to be a backup, that's it. The dude has accuracy issues on deep routes. It's what killed him when he was starting for SF....he couldn't take them past a certain point and when up against SEA D he caved and lost the game for them. They would have likely won a ring with Alex Smith. Harbaugh effed that one up bigtime. But now he's merely a serviceable backup. He's burned too many bridges and carries too much baggage for any team to sign him as a backup. Time to move on. And agree with faded....he doesn't really want it that badly. He is more into politics than football, his choice. JMHO.
So why did the NFL initiate and try to set up a workout? I don’t think his skill set was any big secret, in fact, one scout even said it was about the same where he left off.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
So why did the NFL initiate and try to set up a workout? I don’t think his skill set was any big secret, in fact, one scout even said it was about the same where he left off.
I think those are legal maneuverings on both sides, that's about it. I think if he'd shown up and done what the NFL asked of him and created the new image of a guy who is just thinking of a football future, he could have mended fences. And at the same time drop the legal challenge.

Think about it. What owner would sign the guy as a backup when all they get in return is a huge blitz of media distraction through the whole season? If you were an owner would you do that? Put yourself in the place of the business guy.

If you are talking pure skillset, agree he should be a backup QB somewhere, probably would be better than many. But he's not just a football player anymore, he's more about forwarding his political agenda than pure football. I don't begrudge him that, in fact he should do what he feels is his responsibility. But if it creates a distraction media nightmare for whatever owner signs him to be just a backup.....likely not gonna happen anytime soon.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
It wasn’t a standard waiver, the NFL broadened it, Kaepernick declined to sign the unusual waiver and held the workout at the school. Nothing unusual about setting it up beforehand, he knew of the clause well before that Saturday and knew the dangerous language the waiver entailed. He was protecting his assets, namely, his body, by taking control of the workout.

I disagree.
He manipulated the situation. Tried to show he was the one in control, rather than go out there, without drama and prove he is still capable of playing the position.

That was the standard liability waiver, one the league issues to all of the potential draftees and people who workout for teams. The one article by Florio that claims the NFL tried to work in language absolving them for any wrong doing over 32 months is stupid. What wrong doing. It says they denied Kap from holding workouts with teams. Bull shit! Kap could have worked out for any team. Hell he passed on being a Bronco because he refused to talk contract restructuring in 2016.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/16/nfl-news-john-elway-colin-kaepernick-turned-down-denver-broncos/

Did you see the article that Florio wrote the very next day with the damning content of the waiver?

Here’s the language of paragraph No. 2 from the waiver: “Player acknowledges that he has been made no promise of employment, and understands that his participation in the Workout does not constitute employment by any of the Released Parties (as defined herein), but desires to participate in the Workout voluntarily in order to be considered for possible future employment. Player further acknowledges that his participation in the Workout does not guarantee that Player will be offered employment by any of the Released Parties at any time.”

Paragraph No. 2 contains no language that would operate as a waiver of existing claims for collusion or retaliation. But its presence, despite being intended (we’re told) to preempt potential workers’ compensation claims, pulls the employment issue into the waiver, which becomes relevant to the portion of the waiver that specifically, and broadly, releases Kaepernick’s potential legal claims.
He looks to be trying hard to sell the idea that Kaps team put out there that it was a nefarious waiver, but has to admit that there is nothing in the first 'issue' to absolve the league of any collusion issues.

That language resides in paragraph No. 7: “In consideration for the opportunity to participate in the Workout, Player, for himself, his personal representatives, executors, administrators, heirs, successors and assigns, hereby releases, discharges, and agrees to indemnify and hold harmless National Invitational Camp, Inc., National Football Scouting, Inc., the owner(s), operator(s) and manager(s) of the Facility, any and all individuals participating in or present at the Workout, including, without limitation, Joe Philbin, the National Football League (‘NFL’) and each of its 32 NFL Member Clubs, and each of the foregoing parties’ respective direct and indirect affiliates, partners, subsidiaries, agents, representatives, employees, shareholders, officers, directors, attorneys, insurers, successors and assigns (collectively, the ‘Released Parties’), from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of action, suits, grievances, costs, losses, expenses, damages, injuries, illnesses, and losses (including death) caused by, arising out of, occurring during, or related directly or indirectly to the Workout, Player’s presence at the Facility, and any medical treatment or services rendered in connection with or necessitated by Player’s participation in the Workout.”

Most of that word paella has become standard practice when attempting to ensure that a waiver sweeps as broadly as intended, covering all parties who could be sued and all parties who could be doing the suing. Here’s the specific language that would get my attention, if I were the lawyer whose client was being asked to sign it: “any and all claims . . . caused by, arising out of, occurring during, or related directly or indirectly to the Workout, Player’s presence at the Facility, and any medical treatment or services rendered in connection with or necessitated by Player’s participation in the Workout.”
Again he back pedals away saying it is standard wording. I am no lawyer, but I have read and signed a plethora of non-disclosure agreements between companies, and that looks like this langue. It is a release of liability. Sorry, there is no fire here, no smoking gun in the hands of the NFL. It goes to show (to me at least) that Kaps camp was not going to accept anything that they did not have all the say in. I think, personally, he does not want to play, he wants to continue to be a victim and have the ability to sue again because he isn't playing.

I can't agree with your assertion that he was 'protecting his body' by holding his own workout. How is that protecting his body? If he gets injured at HIS OWN workout everything is solidly on him. If he gets injured during an NFL workout (after signing the waiver) the NFL covers the medical cost of that injury and the rehab, or settles in the regard. He put himself at far more risk 'protecting his asset' than showing he was ready to be a team player and not a 'me' man.

The NFL did something for Kap they have done for no one else. No one. Instead of treating it like his victory and an opportunity, he chose to be a punk, compare himself to a slave and make a circus of it all. He could have shown the teams there he was ready to lead a team again. He did not do that. If you choose to feel that he was protecting himself with these very planned moves, go ahead. We will have to agree to disagree.

For the record, I stand behind Kap's right to kneel and say what he wants to say. I will fight for his right.

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I think there are enough people in the NFL that would like to see him get his chance to prove himself. Also a lot of people outside the league being vocal on how it is perceived he is being treated. The workout made sense from a PR point of view, IMHO.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Spanoses should sign Kaepernick. They have no fans to lose. They would probably gain some. Being controversial by signing Kaepernick is better than being unanimously hated by all.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I think there are enough people in the NFL that would like to see him get his chance to prove himself. Also a lot of people outside the league being vocal on how it is perceived he is being treated. The workout made sense from a PR point of view, IMHO.
I’m not going to comment on all the legal mumbo jumbo or n your previous post, I’d have to be able to read it and understand it and I’m no lawyer. But I choose to believe that Kaepernick’s team saw a potential pitfall in signing that waiver. I also find it interesting that the NFL decided to participate in the workout at the school - if the NFL firmly felt they were in the right, why even play his game?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Think about it. What owner would sign the guy as a backup when all they get in return is a huge blitz of media distraction through the whole season? If you were an owner would you do that? Put yourself in the place of the business guy.
I again ask, if no owner wanted the distraction, why did the NFL even initiate this workout? They already settled with him. No need to even open the door for him.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I again ask, if no owner wanted the distraction, why did the NFL even initiate this workout? They already settled with him. No need to even open the door for him.
the federal lawsuit is next. The previous Situation was grievance he filed against the nfl through an arbitrator that the league violated his rights based on the CBA. Part of the settlement was that both parties sign an NDA.

it is my opinion that the work out was part of the settlement reach between both parties.

there is no way that Kaepernick is going to sign a waiver that eliminates his ability to sue the league.

I believe that Kaepernick had to have a workout as part of the settlement agreement.

I also think that Kaepernick loses too much money by playing again.

no team is going to pay him starter money. I wouldn’t either. But I would sign the dude to back up money. And if I am kap, I am not playing for back up money because it would eliminate all my leverage.

I don’t like either party in this situation. I hope kap wins the federal case and fucks the nfl.

Reactions: ThunderHorse17

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
the federal lawsuit is next. The previous Situation was grievance he filed against the nfl through an arbitrator that the league violated his rights based on the CBA. Part of the settlement was that both parties sign an NDA.

it is my opinion that the work out was part of the settlement reach between both parties.

there is no way that Kaepernick is going to sign a waiver that eliminates his ability to sue the league.

I believe that Kaepernick had to have a workout as part of the settlement agreement.

I also think that Kaepernick loses too much money by playing again.

no team is going to pay him starter money. I wouldn’t either. But I would sign the dude to back up money. And if I am kap, I am not playing for back up money because it would eliminate all my leverage.

I don’t like either party in this situation. I hope kap wins the federal case and fucks the nfl.
I think you are right on re: the $ aspect to this current situation. Kap makes a hell of a lot more writing books and being an advocate than he does as a backup QB. It's why I say he has no real interest in playing again. His attorneys are probably well aware of the monetary benefits of playing vs. not playing. So he tells the world "I sacrificed my football career for my cause, I fell on my sword for the cause" and is in the public eye way more than if he had just been a backup QB and continued playing without ever having made the political theater he did.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Kaepernick had a legit beef regarding police brutality against black people. I wish he had chosen a way less offensive way of taking a stand, but just about every successful protest has something shitty about it. It isn't like I think marches that tie up traffic are without a large degree of annoyance.
Where Kaepernick lost me is when he let the NFL pay him off to keep his mouth shut about something. That showed that, even if this protest started as something greater than Kaepernick, he eventually let down the movement and began thinking purely about himself. Now all his actions are about Kaepernick and no longer about fighting police brutality. If he was going to take on the job as the face of a movement, he shouldn't have turned a bunch of patriots (real vets and wannabes) against the movement and then turned said movement into something that is now purely about Kaepernick's NFL career. He turned a serious movement started by others into the Kaepernick football show. He didn't help. I mean - look what you guys are arguing about. It isn't about police brutality against black people; it is about Kaepernick's NFL career. I don't remember the history books talking about MLK's fight to get a top TV evangelist job or Frederick Douglass's effort to score a big payday. Those guys didn't treat their movements as sideshows for some entertainment corporation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gill Man

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 5, 2006
I’m not going to comment on all the legal mumbo jumbo or n your previous post, I’d have to be able to read it and understand it and I’m no lawyer. But I choose to believe that Kaepernick’s team saw a potential pitfall in signing that waiver. I also find it interesting that the NFL decided to participate in the workout at the school - if the NFL firmly felt they were in the right, why even play his game?
The NFL did not participate in the workout at the school. Individual teams had reps there, but many teams had their reps go home.

Could it be that they wanted to take the teeth out of Kaps propaganda? That is a very good reason to give him a workout. Then if he is not signed, they tried, especially if it comes down to Kap refusing to take a contract or be a backup.

It is cool that you see Kap and team as upstanding and non-manipulative in this. I don't for reasons I mentioned, but we can agree to disagree. I appreciate you posting your thoughts on the topic.