Kaepernick to get a workout

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Read my link above yours. His lawyers figured out the BS the NFL was trying to pull.
I read your link, but I think it's BS. It's not like some team wanted to sign him and was blocked from doing so, he's made a bunch of demands that nobody was willing to meet.

Let's not forget, he went 1-10 in his final season, and got beat out by Blaine Gabbert. The 49ers didn't cut him, he opted out of their contract and when a couple of other teams showed even a modicum of Interest, he made salary demands and acted as if the league really needed him, when in reality, they happily proceeded without him. He thinks he's more talented than he is and deep down he knows that if he were signed by some team and put back on the field, he would likely struggle and then he'd lose alot of clout. He's more famous when he's believed to be a great talent who is cruelly prevented from showing his skills but if he were out there getting pummeled and missing open receivers, nobody would care what he had to say anymore.

Reactions: DFWBoltFan

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I read your link, but I think it's BS. It's not like some team wanted to sign him and was blocked from doing so, he's made a bunch of demands that nobody was willing to meet.

Let's not forget, he went 1-10 in his final season, and got beat out by Blaine Gabbert. The 49ers didn't cut him, he opted out of their contract and when a couple of other teams showed even a modicum of Interest, he made salary demands and acted as if the league really needed him, when in reality, they happily proceeded without him. He thinks he's more talented than he is and deep down he knows that if he were signed by some team and put back on the field, he would likely struggle and then he'd lose alot of clout. He's more famous when he's believed to be a great talent who is cruelly prevented from showing his skills but if he were out there getting pummeled and missing open receivers, nobody would care what he had to say anymore.
You don’t think collusion is possible? Or those out clauses they wanted him to sign? You don’t think there isn’t a team that could use him?

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
You don’t think collusion is possible? Or those out clauses they wanted him to sign? You don’t think there isn’t a team that could use him?
I think collusion is possible, but unlikely - bottom line, if you think a single player could help you win games, you'd at least kick his tires and see what he's got to offer. Look at the Browns, who had a stretch where they won only 1 game ( against us) over the course of 2 NFL seasons and went through a cattle car of quarterbacks over that time and they never even looked at him, that tells me all I need to know.

I notice that none of the conspiracy theorists claiming that he's somehow being blackballed address his dreadful performance the last time a team gave him a season running their squad from under center. His incompetence is what's keeping him off of rosters, alot more than his activism. is - after all, Eric Reid knelt alongside him but he can still do the job on the gridiron, which is why he's consistently played and Colin hasn't.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I think collusion is possible, but unlikely - bottom line, if you think a single player could help you win games, you'd at least kick his tires and see what he's got to offer. Look at the Browns, who had a stretch where they won only 1 game ( against us) over the course of 2 NFL seasons and went through a cattle car of quarterbacks over that time and they never even looked at him, that tells me all I need to know.

I notice that none of the conspiracy theorists claiming that he's somehow being blackballed address his dreadful performance the last time a team gave him a season running their squad from under center. His incompetence is what's keeping him off of rosters, alot more than his activism. is - after all, Eric Reid knelt alongside him but he can still do the job on the gridiron, which is why he's consistently played and Colin hasn't.
So why was there a settlement? If he isn’t good enough to even be a second string QB why even bother?

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
So why was there a settlement? If he isn’t good enough to even be a second string QB why even bother?
I don't know why the NFL settled with Kaepernick, he never would've been able to prove collusion in a court of law but they were probably embarrassed by the bad press and likely figured that if they gave him some money, he'd go away or at least quit bothering them.

Like with Michael Sam, the league cannot force a team to take on a substandard athlete no matter how much they would enjoy the human events headlines & positive press coverage of them playing in the league.

As for NFL GMs, Coaches & players, their job is to win games. When they fail to do so on a consistent basis, GMs & coaches get fired and players get traded or released but if any GM (or powerful Head Coach) truly thought that Colin could help them win games, he would already be on someone's roster right now.

As for being 2nd string, do you think Kaepernick would even accept that? You wouldn't fight your way back into the league, just to ride the pine somewhere and watch other people play.

Last edited:

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
No, say it isn’t so! The NFL with some underhanded motivations? I don’t believe it!

The whole thing is a Twilight Zone episode. I read the NFL's statement you posted.
And didn't even realize that CK had worked out today...just not at the original venue.

I'm not one of those guys who runs around trashing the NFL all the time: I love their product
and watch 31/32 of it, despite hating the LAC franchise...or, more accurately LAC ownership.
But this CK thing just seems shady. Like a pretend effort.
And what's with calling him "Colin" all the way through their "Please blame Kaepernick" press release?
I know it's a small thing but...generally folks aren't on a first name basis with those they've wronged.

p.s. And I don't mean "wronged" in some vague, philosophical way: They actually responded to
his legal, non-violent, silent kneel--a super polite plea for more equal treatment of blacks, by cops...
and passed a rule against it, in large part to please the entitled old orange man currently being impeached.

Last edited:

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I don't know why the NFL settled with Kaepernick, he never would've been able to prove collusion in a court of law but they were probably embarrassed by the bad press and likely figured that if they gave him some money, he'd go away or at least quit bothering them.

Like with Michael Sam, the league cannot force a team to take on a substandard athlete no matter how much they would enjoy the human events headlines & positive press coverage of them playing in the league.

As for NFL GMs, Coaches & players, their job is to win games. When they fail to do so on a consistent basis, GMs & coaches get fired and players get traded or released but if any GM (or powerful Head Coach) truly thought that Colin could help them win games, he would already be on someone's roster right now.

As for being 2nd string, do you think Kaepernick would even accept that? You wouldn't fight your way back into the league, just to ride the pine somewhere and watch other people play.
Although I share your sentiment that Kaepernick is probably not the optimal QB he thinks he is, I don’t share the notion that he isn’t good enough to help someone win. I think, if given the chance, he is easily second-string QB material and after watching clowns like Trubinsky and Mason Rudolph, I’d guess Kaepernick could beat at least those two for the starting job.

And if the NFL “figured” they could make him go away by just giving him money, they’re a pretty stupid bunch. When I first heard about the settlement I figured they really did pay him to go away (meaning giving him enough money to disappear), but apparently that wasn’t the deal; the only thing I can surmise is the NFL paid him because they felt there was a real good chance they’d lose to him. That’s not a hard notion to believe.

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I don’t think either party wants Colin in the nfl.

Reality is this if Colin signs:

1. he kneels again and makes kneeling a big deal again.

2. he doesn’t kneel and loses the reputation he built up from the beginning.

I have no idea what Colin stands for nor do I care. It just his opinion.

why this transpired I have no idea. Maybe for Colin to keep his athlete status ?

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
I don’t think either party wants Colin in the nfl.

Reality is this if Colin signs:

1. he kneels again and makes kneeling a big deal again.

2. he doesn’t kneel and loses the reputation he built up from the beginning.

I have no idea what Colin stands for nor do I care. It just his opinion.

why this transpired I have no idea. Maybe for Colin to keep his athlete status ?
He's stated that he won't kneel again.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
League of Lawyers. NFL simply trying to get waivers.
I dint get it either.

call the dude fly him in and do a workout.

if he is good enough sign him to a deal.

it’s not hard.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I just don’t know enough about the law to determine if it’s collusion or not.

for example

I can’t claim the league is colluding against me because they refuse to sign me to a deal cause we all know i suck.

so what are the parameters?

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007

for example

I can’t claim the league is colluding against me because they refuse to sign me to a deal cause we all know i suck.

I don't know how it works legally or how they can prove it but anyone with half a brain can see that Kaepernick is better than some of these backup stiffs that are starting games like Mason Rudolph or Nathan Peterman (that guy from the Bills that threw 5 interceptions in the first half against the spenises a couple of years ago).

Reactions: Fender57

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I don't know how it works legally or how they can prove it but anyone with half a brain can see that Kaepernick is better than some of these backup stiffs that are starting games like Mason Rudolph or Nathan Peterman (that guy from the Bills that threw 5 interceptions in the first half against the spenises a couple of years ago).
That seems like a reasonable standard

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
League of Lawyers. NFL simply trying to get waivers.
I posted this earlier in the thread but it’s worth posting again. Kaepernick is clearly good enough to be on a roster. The NFL is playing games with him.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
The whole thing is a Twilight Zone episode. I read the NFL's statement you posted.
And didn't even realize that CK had worked out today...just not at the original venue.

I'm not one of those guys who runs around trashing the NFL all the time: I love their product
and watch 31/32 of it, despite hating the LAC franchise...or, more accurately LAC ownership.
But this CK thing just seems shady. Like a pretend effort.
And what's with calling him "Colin" all the way through their "Please blame Kaepernick" press release?
I know it's a small thing but...generally folks aren't on a first name basis with those they've wronged.

p.s. And I don't mean "wronged" in some vague, philosophical way: They actually responded to
his legal, non-violent, silent kneel--a super polite plea for more equal treatment of blacks, by cops...
and passed a rule against it, in large part to please the entitled old orange man currently being impeached.
If were an NFL GM, Head Coach or even a scout who was told all week that this guy would be working out in Atlanta, so I travel there today only to find out he's working out somewhere else, I would question his commitment & true desire to return to the NFL.

This workout was basically a job interview, it's Kaepernick's task to prove himself to his prospective employers, not vice-versa.

As for his attacks on the many fine men & women in law enforcement, has he ever even had a negative experience with them or has he just hijacked the issue to increase his own visibility? He certainly wasn't making waves with his play on the field, cause he was stinking it up before San Fran mercifully replaced him with their 2nd string. He then opts out, doesn't sign with anyone else even though a few teams inquired and has spent the last few years claiming that the league & all his owners were conspiring to keep him out.

His performance, coupled with his misguided activism is why no serious GM would touch him. Is he talented enough to be a backup? Probably, but you don't want your backup QB to be the media face of your team and he definitely would be, at least in the beginning. Besides, yesterday's backup QB is often today's starter and the way he sucked before taking a few years off, you'll never convince me that he could walk out there and beat out any current starting QB, to include the rookies.

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006

for example

I think it would've been next to impossible for Kaepernick's camp to actually prove collusion in court - the NFL is comprised of 32 different owners, all supposedly competing to field the best team and hopefully compete for the annual championship. The notion that there is some "Wild Card" of a player who is good enough to give most teams a chance to win games but that each of those competing owners would all agree that no one would sign him is ludicrous at best.

He could point to this guy or that guy who may not be the most talented quarterback and argue that the fact that they're currently employed and he's not as some asinine proof that people are conspiring against him but that could be easily swatted down: the divisive kneeling he began and the damage it's done to the national interest in the league aside, that theory can be disproven with the results of his last NFL season, and the fact that he chose to opt out of his contract following that dreadful performance but is now whining that no other NFL GM is jockeying to be his next victim.

Last edited:

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
If were an NFL GM, Head Coach or even a scout who was told all week that this guy would be working out in Atlanta, so I travel there today only to find out he's working out somewhere else, I would question his commitment & true desire to return to the NFL.

This workout was basically a job interview, it's Kaepernick's task to prove himself to his prospective employers, not vice-versa.

As for his attacks on the many fine men & women in law enforcement, has he ever even had a negative experience with them or has he just hijacked the issue to increase his own visibility? He certainly wasn't making waves with his play on the field, cause he was stinking it up before San Fran mercifully replaced him with their 2nd string. He then opts out, doesn't sign with anyone else even though a few teams inquired and has spent the last few years claiming that the league & all his owners were conspiring to keep him out.

His performance, coupled with his misguided activism is why no serious GM would touch him. Is he talented enough to be a backup? Probably, but you don't want your backup QB to be the media face of your team and he definitely would be, at least in the beginning. Besides, yesterday's backup QB is often today's starter and the way he sucked before taking a few years off, you'll never convince me that he could walk out there and beat out any current starting QB, to include the rookies.
Police brutality is a case by case issue. 99% of interactions between the police and the public are done according to legal and policy standards. Like any profession they are going to be assholes that give the rest a bad name.

They are shitty teachers, doctors, lawyers, nurses fireman and I could go on.

Lance19

BoltTalker
Oct 2, 2011
Wherever these Valkyries drop me...
...he was stinking it up before San Fran mercifully replaced him with their 2nd string...

His performance...is why no serious GM would touch him. Is he talented enough to be a backup?
There's a lot that could be unpacked here, but my time is short.
I guess I'm trying to remember you saying that Philip Rivers is "stinking it up" this season

(since Rivers' current passer rating is 90.6, a hair worse than Kaepernick's 90.7 that final year).

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
We got to get more time for Lance to spend with Lancer. Then we need to get a Fend for Fender.

Is there a Harry'Oher?

Has Conc been Conquered?

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
There's a lot that could be unpacked here, but my time is short.
I guess I'm trying to remember you saying that Philip Rivers is "stinking it up" this season

(since Rivers' current passer rating is 90.6, a hair worse than Kaepernick's 90.7 that final year).
This season isn't over, and Rivers is already guaranteed to eclipse the pathetic 1-10 record that Kaepernick posted in his final season with San Francisco. Philip has had good games this season, and some disturbingly bad ones, most notably the last one in which all that was needed to win was a field goal, and Rivers' recklessness cost the team a chance to even attempt one.

One factor that has been apparent in most if not all of Philip's stinkers over the years and especially most recently, is that he's been under constant attack due to our notoriously substandard offensive line. Nobody has ever referred to Rivers as "mobile", but that was supposed to be one of the strengths of Colin's game - he can run or pass, a dual threat weapon that the Ravens completely shut down for 4 plays on the goal line to win Superbowl XLVII and that defensive coordinators had little to no problem containing afterwards, leading to his ineffectiveness causing him to be benched in his final (so far) NFL season.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
Reactions: Harryo the K

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Kaep has played in a Super Bowl. I don’t remember if Felipe Rios has - can someone refresh my memory?