1. Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities for the sports fans. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

John Elway: Bolts might be team to beat in AFC West

Discussion in 'American Football' started by Concudan, May 14, 2018.

1. Concudan

Concudan Still Chargin Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,849
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...elway-bolts-might-be-team-to-beat-in-afc-west

Free agency is mostly done. The draft has been wrapped up in a tight bow. We've hit the portion of the NFL calendar where the next several months the void will be filled mostly by large men running around in shorts, sans pads.

The gap in the process leaves the door open for prognostications and little else. Waves of predictions will flow over the barren landscape like rain pummeling a dry plain. Most of those guestimations will be made by media personalities paid to keep the clicks and eyeballs rolling in during the NFL's downtime.

Sometimes, however, the smoke comes from a more notable source; one that stops and makes you reconsider whether it's simply a scorching thought to gain attention. Such a take took place recently when Denver Broncos general manager John Elway gave his assessment of the AFC West following the draft.

"It's the wild, wild West. I thought the Chargers did a really nice job with the draft," Elway told reporters in Omaha, via The MMQB's Peter King. "They've got the settled quarterback, even though the Raiders do too. Looking at it, [the Chargers] may be the ones to beat. As I stand here, looking at it, the Chargers might be the team to beat."

It's hard to argue with Elway's assessment in mid-May.

The Chargers have a proven franchise quarterback, weapons at receiver, a workhorse running back, and an improved offensive line. Los Angeles also boasts what could be the best defense in the NFL in 2018, with a dynamic pass-rushing duo, and a deep group of lockdown corners. The addition of rookie safety Derwin James gave the Chargers D playmakers at every level.

Surely, those positives are what Elway sees on paper.

Each of the other AFC West squads has bigger questions.

How will Case Keenum improve the Broncos offense? Is Denver's offensive line fixed? How will trading Aqib Talib change the secondary? Will the combination of Bradley Chubb and Von Miller mask any other defensive questions?

Will Patrick Mahomes live up to the hype in K.C.? If there are growing pains with the young QB, can the rest of the offense overcome those mistakes? Will the revamped defense improve after jettisoning so many big, aging names? Can Kendall Fuller replace Marcus Peters? How will Eric Berry return from injury?

What will Jon Gruden's Raiders look like? Will the coach's old-school approach work in 2018? Will their addition of aging veterans work in the short term? Can Derek Carr bounce back from a down 2017? Ditto for Amari Cooper? Will the defense be any better than the last several bad seasons? Will the chances the Raiders took during the draft pay off?

The past few offseasons, the AFC West has been considered the best division in the NFL. The big changes this year have thrust it into a different light. It's anyone's best guess how it will shake out in six months. Even John Elway is just projecting in May.

2. FiftyFive

FiftyFive Dean Spanos is a traitor!

Ratings:
    +341
    You know the NFL is desperate to sell PSLs to this dumpster fire when they beg Elway to say something nice about the Deanos.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SDRay

SDRay RIP SD Chargers..F the LA Chargers, Go Irish Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,317
    He said "might".

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,247
    :laugh:
    Roger Goodell: "John, say something in the press that's complimentary and optimistic about the Deanos, and, just between you and me, this stays right here in this office, we can maybe give you some extra consideration for one of those compensatory draft picks for about 5 years in a row. Do you think you can do that for us?"
    John Elway: "Roger, come ON. Make it worth my while, you are asking a hell of a lot of me, to put myself out on a limb like that and make myself look like a freaking idiot who knows zip about football"
    Roger Goodell: "Ok John, PLEASE hear me out. I'll make sure you are next up as Commissioner after I croak, ok??????????"
    John Elway: "Rog, give me about a week to think about it, it's a hell of an imposition you are making on me, you know that right?"
    Roger Goodell: "Yeah I know, John. Ok tell ya what, I'll sneak you 1M under that table also on top of all the above. Can you do it tomorrow?????.....PSL's are really lagging there we are desperate."
    John Elway: "Ok Roger, anything for the league, you know I'm the quintessential team player, always have been. I'll fall on my sword for the league, even if I have to go take a shower and vomit after making an idiotic statement like that in front of the world"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,849
    Yall bitter... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    That news came straight from the horse’s mouth, so its true.

Old cliches, new fools in LALA Land.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,849
    [​IMG]

8. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,247
    [​IMG]

9. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,247
    [​IMG]

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,849
    And Grumpy too!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. captaind

captaind Resist the Dark Side — Join the Alliance

Ratings:
    +251
    Don’t bet on it.

12. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,247
    Anything less would be un-civic-ized:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,849
    Is this based on something other than the Spani are involved?

14. RamAirVA

RamAirVA New Name, Same Attitude

Ratings:
    +526
    I dunno, the Spanii curse is pretty powerful stuff...

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,849
    In all honesty, I don't think there is a team to beat in the AFCW. They all have too many question marks. The Raiders COULD be really good... but... The Chiefs could be good.... but.... The Broncos... Well lets forget them a moment... The Chargers could be real good... but...

They all have made changes that can give someone of the mindset reason to hope. The same changes give detractors ammo for their arguments. I am thinking we will not know what the AFCW is until around game 8. September is a wash now, with the way the Players Union has made off-seaon a paddy cakes session. So October will be the measurement IMHO.

As far as Elway. I have always disagreed with the people who said that John would bad mouth the competition. I remember back in the early 90's he was being interviewed for something like Inside the NFL. The Chargers were expected to continue to stink of ice, but when repeatedly asked about the Chargers, all John would say is you could never expect a victory over the Chargers because you never knew what you got until half time with them. Not shining praise by any stretch of the imagination, but he avoided lambasting a BAD Chargers team. I have never seen him blast another team that I recall...

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,849
    [​IMG]
    1) Stubhub next exit
    2) Welcome (matt on Deano's front porch)
    3) Spanos Family Reunion *Arrow pointing direction*
    4)...

17. captaind

captaind Resist the Dark Side — Join the Alliance

Ratings:
    +251
    It’s based on my 9-7, best-team-to-not-make-the-playoffs prediction.

And the fact that you can now legally bet on it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,247
    ha, good one. Did you place your bet yet? I'd say that's a good bet, they should be a repeat disappointer.;) ( I mean disappoint their fans, and absolutely thrill us haters :D):abq2:

19. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    This is bad news for those hoping the Chargers suck this year. The Broncos are somewhere in the Top 2 or 3 on the commissioner's list of favorite teams. If their guy is saying the Chargers are supposed to win the division, they will probably be given every opportunity to do so.

This could set up, for me, the ideal season. If the Chargers play well and still get the worst fan support through TV ratings and attendance for any team in my lifetime, the NFL will have to do something about it. None of those NFL owners are cool with not getting a maximum profit.

20. TTK

TTK EX-Charger Fan

Ratings:
    +808
    Thinking the NFL is going to rig games for the carpetbagger is hilarious. Costa Mesa could win the Super Bowl next season and they wouldn't even be the top story in LA. They'll stumble or choke with the season on the line like they have historically done.

Remember that Schefter report last year about the owners being very upset how disasterous this has been? (Not that they don't have anyone to blame but themselves.) Nothing has happened since then that would have made them do a 180 on that stance.

21. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    The Chargers started winning a lot of games the day after the commissioner showed up to one of the Chargers home games. 0-4 before he walked out of the disaster that was Stubhub; 9-3 after. Coincidence?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  22. FiftyFive

FiftyFive Dean Spanos is a traitor!

Ratings:
    +341
    The Deanos are so inept that they'd find a way to miss the playoffs in a season that was rigged for them.

23. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    Last year is a good example.
    Although I could be wrong. It could work the other way. Perhaps the NFL thought winning would cure the Chargers of their lack of support in L.A., but, after watching that support not happen during the regular season, the NFL didn't want to deal with it during the post season. At 9-7, the Chargers must have been one of bubble teams that lost out.

24. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,247
    yeah I always will think of that game and the sudden turnaround as something other than simple coincidence. That game was a complete and utter embarrasment and humiliation for Dean Spanos right in front of the commissioner .....and SDSignGuy was flying freely over the soccer field with banners in full sight. Not sure but was that a game LT got booed bigtime as well? The crowd was like 80% opposing fans. Then one week later and from then on out the team was a different team. Coincidence? Let's just say Roger Goodell is one of the last people on the face of the earth I'd trust or would think of if the word "integrity" were to be associated with a person.;)

• Like Like x 1
  25. LABoltFan

LABoltFan Bunker Transplant

Ratings:
    +373
    Hahaha yeah I believe the Illuminati are probably involved too. If you've ever really taken a good look at the NFL logo you can actually see the emblem of the Freemasons in there!

26. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071

Has Goodell been Commisioner for 57 years? I think your proposal is in need of review. :geek:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,247
    I have:
    [​IMG]

28. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan View from the King's balcony!

Ratings:
    +350
    So help me, if the L.A. Spanii win a Lombardi in the next few? Mass suicides in Dago.

29. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,247
    lolz.....they'll have to blockade the bridge no doubt

30. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +956
    I have read some of the Dan Brown books. They are fun but fiction. Corruption in sports and any corporate conglomeration as big as the NFL, however, is real.