Jamal Williams AFC Defensive player of the week!!

  • Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

mapcap55

BoltTalker
Aug 21, 2006
588
66
140
51
Right here

The NFL announced today that defensive tackle Jamal Williams has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Continually double-teamed by a strong Steelers offensive line, San Diego’s Williams held his ground for six tackles, including 1.0 sack and a tackle behind the line of scrimmage, in a 23-13 win Sunday night against Pittsburgh. The defensive tackle played a major role in limiting the Steelers’ rushing game to 68 yards, upping the Chargers’ record to 3-1 for a first-place tie in the AFC West with Denver (3-1). San Diego now stands with the NFL’s No. 1-ranked defense, allowing a meager average of 204.5 yards per game. Williams’ four-yard sack came on a second-and-13 play during in the third quarter with the Chargers maintaining a 17-13 lead to help force a Pittsburgh punt. San Diego drove for a field goal on the ensuing drive to increase its lead to 20-13.

In his ninth year from Oklahoma State, this is Williams’ first Player of the Week Award.

Way to go big Mal:tup:
 

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
That's great! It's hard for NT's to get that kind of recognition because they generally don't string 3 or 4 big plays together in one game.

Jamal was definitely a force-to-be-reckoned-with Sunday night.
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2005
8,654
807
350
49
www.boltsplanet.com
Thunderstruck said:
That's great! It's hard for NT's to get that kind of recognition because they generally don't string 3 or 4 big plays together in one game.

Jamal was definitely a force-to-be-reckoned-with Sunday night.
He was a one-man wrecking crew against the Pitt OL. He often made the Pitt center look like a rookie Pop Warner kid.

6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 tackles-for-loss (besides the sack).

His frequent collapsing of the pocket had Big Ben scrambling for his life and aided Phillips, Merriman, and Castillo in getting sacks.

It also helped that he came up big in a nationally televised primetime game.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Boltdiehard

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
Madden alluded to this during the game, but Jamal was so dominant up-front it kept us from having to commit a safety to run-support and allowed the secondary to focus completely on pass-coverage. That paid some dividends in the second half. You don't generally think of Jamal helping out the pass coverage, but that's why he's such a huge part of what we do defensively.
 
  • Like
Reactions: turbo_turtle

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2005
8,654
807
350
49
www.boltsplanet.com
Thunderstruck said:
Madden alluded to this during the game, but Jamal was so dominant up-front it kept us from having to commit a safety to run-support and allowed the secondary to focus completely on pass-coverage. That paid some dividends in the second half.
Two Ben Roethlisberger INTs say you are correct! :yes:
 

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
WonderSlug said:
Two Ben Roethlisberger INTs say you are correct! :yes:
All I know is that I'm LOVING our defense right now. Great at stopping the run, as usual. Great pass pressure. DB's actually holding on to interceptions--and in big games, no less. Donnie is playing closer to his '04 form than his '05 form.

Our defense is stingy as hell right now. The only real blemish against them was that 4th quarter drive by McNair, but I still believe that drive never should have been significant if we'd let PR do his thing.
 

WonderSlug

Well-Known Member
Sep 1, 2005
8,654
807
350
49
www.boltsplanet.com
Thunderstruck said:
All I know is that I'm LOVING our defense right now. Great at stopping the run, as usual. Great pass pressure. DB's actually holding on to interceptions--and in big games, no less. Donnie is playing closer to his '04 form than his '05 form.

Our defense is stingy as hell right now. The only real blemish against them was that 4th quarter drive by McNair, but I still believe that drive never should have been significant if we'd let PR do his thing.
There was also the prevent mode we went into versus Pitt in the final minute of the first half that pretty much gave them a freebie 3 points. But I put that more on Wade than our defense.
 

Kwak

....
May 25, 2006
4,433
657
320
All game long Madden was giving the man love to Jamal.

2 things you can book right now.

1) He can make his plans for Hawaii now.
2) He will be on the All Madden Team (if they are still doing that)

Jamal was a dominant force! He lived in the Steelers backfield.:tup:
 

exodus

Well-Known Member
Nov 4, 2005
1,282
118
200
WonderSlug said:
There was also the prevent mode we went into versus Pitt in the final minute of the first half that pretty much gave them a freebie 3 points. But I put that more on Wade than our defense.
I hate prevent D! Why they stop doing what worked for the first 57 mins is beyond me.

Jamal is a beast. Congrats. Let's keep it rolling all year long!
 

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
My boy Castillo is also rapidly rising up the charts of the top DE's in the NFL--especially 3-4 DE's. We have an unbelievable amount of talent on this team.

I'd be remiss if I didn't thank Bobby Beathard for taking Jamal in the supplemental draft. It was the last good thing he did before his ass got canned.. :lol:
 

Johnny Lightning

Go Bolts
Feb 7, 2006
22,974
1,669
350
Thunderstruck said:
My boy Castillo is also rapidly rising up the charts of the top DE's in the NFL--especially 3-4 DE's. We have an unbelievable amount of talent on this team.

I'd be remiss if I didn't thank Bobby Beathard for taking Jamal in the supplemental draft. It was the last good thing he did before his ass got canned.. :lol:
Word :yes:

:foley53: :bolt:
 

ntman68

Well-Known Member
Aug 16, 2006
1,039
100
190
Orange County, CA
Props to Williams. Truly a dominant performance.

Thunderstruck said:
Donnie is playing closer to his '04 form than his '05 form.
Is Donnie still in grudge-mode these days? I haven't heard anything about him lately. I wonder if he is finally looking around and realizing this may be his ticket for a ring sizing?
 
  • Like
Reactions: BFISA

in_a_days

dgaf
Sep 8, 2006
7,733
966
350
vegas
ntman68 said:
Props to Williams. Truly a dominant performance.


Is Donnie still in grudge-mode these days? I haven't heard anything about him lately. I wonder if he is finally looking around and realizing this may be his ticket for a ring sizing?
I think it's more likely that he reached the inevitable conclusion that even if he wants to leave at the end of the year, the only way he's going to get a decent contract is by playing well this season.
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
Jan 19, 2006
18,916
1,826
350
San Diego, CA
in_a_days said:
I think it's more likely that he reached the inevitable conclusion that even if he wants to leave at the end of the year, the only way he's going to get a decent contract is by playing well this season.
thank goodness he was smart and decent enough to put a sock in it
 

sdchrger

Well-Known Member
Dec 8, 2005
6,532
779
350
mapcap55 said:
Right here




Way to go big Mal:tup:
:icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_banana:

Finally the entire NFL knows what we know, Big Jamal is da man!!

Props to Madden for putting him under the spotlight Sunday night:tup:
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
Feb 14, 2006
17,404
598
350
Thunderstruck said:
Madden alluded to this during the game, but Jamal was so dominant up-front it kept us from having to commit a safety to run-support and allowed the secondary to focus completely on pass-coverage. That paid some dividends in the second half. You don't generally think of Jamal helping out the pass coverage, but that's why he's such a huge part of what we do defensively.
Why not?

Without the front 7 the pass coverage would be shit starting with Jamal.

This was one of the BIGGEST reasons our passing stats have suffered and that is because we had no DE's / FS worth a fuc.
 

montanabolthead

BoltTalker
Sep 16, 2006
205
30
110
63
What else is there to say? Glad Jamal is finally getting the recognition he deserves! I was surprised Madden and Michaels were lavishing praise on our D. Jamal made it look easy when he one handed Ben. The Steelers O line better have bags on their heads after that showing! Hats off to Wayne Nunelly and the rest of our position coaches.:bolt:
 

Thunderstruck

BoltTalker
Aug 16, 2006
1,938
268
240
48
Trumpet_Man said:
Why not?

Without the front 7 the pass coverage would be shit starting with Jamal.

This was one of the BIGGEST reasons our passing stats have suffered and that is because we had no DE's / FS worth a fuc.
It's more than just pass-pressure, is my point. When Jamal's controlling the LoS like he did Sunday, we don't need to be like Denver and Pittsburgh, who commit their safeties to run-support a LOT. You don't see our safeties up in run support nearly as often, and part of it is because the d-linemen do such a great job of controlling the offensive line.
 

turbo_turtle

In Disguise
Aug 2, 2006
7,353
852
350
50
I am finnaly happy that Jamal Williams is getting the respect he most definitely deserves period.

Without JW the D would look average at best. If that at all.