• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

    afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Sign Up or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Its OFFICIAL; Volek to the Chargers

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #BoatUp #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
#1
Volek to the Chargers?

Anteater mentioned this last night on the podcast. Here's more info from today's ESPN insider.
<Sep. 13> ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggests Volek should pack an extra bag or two when the Titans visit the Chargers this Sunday. He might be staying awhile.

Sources on both teams indicate that the Titans wanted to get this game out of the way before proceeding with a trade that would send the quarterback to the Chargers.

Volek began training camp as the Titans' starter, but was the team's No. 3 quarterback in Week 1. Titans coach Jeff Fisher reiterated that recently signed Kerry Collins will remain the starter with rookie Vince Young as the backup.
 

Electric Chair

Well-Known Member
#2
Volek to the Chargers?

Man, if it really is a done deal behind closed doors I hope Volek emailed their playbook and circled what they have been working on in practice.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#3
Volek to the Chargers?

Electric Chair said:
Man, if it really is a done deal behind closed doors I hope Volek emailed their playbook and circled what they have been working on in practice.
Agreed, but what are we giving up for him. He wants to be a starter, and he isnt going to be one here without an injury, so is he going to like Diego any more than Nashville?:icon_shrug:
 

anger management

Well-Known Member
#5
Volek to the Chargers?

Concudan said:
Agreed, but what are we giving up for him. He wants to be a starter, and he isnt going to be one here without an injury, so is he going to like Diego any more than Nashville?:icon_shrug:
I think it's the lesser of two evils. Being a #2 is better than a #3.

I just hope we don't give up too much for him.

:bolt:
 

Ride The Lightning

Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.
#6
Volek to the Chargers?

You're not gonna like this, but I heard Darren Smith say there's a chance it might be for Whitehurst.

I dunno know how you guys feel about this, but I don't like it.
 

foober

BoltTalker
#9
Volek to the Chargers?

Concudan said:
Agreed, but what are we giving up for him. He wants to be a starter, and he isnt going to be one here without an injury, so is he going to like Diego any more than Nashville?:icon_shrug:
I hope we didn't give up too much for him. He's gonna be 3rd string for possibly a month till he learns the chargers playbook. Hope they just give a very late rounder for him.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#10
Volek to the Chargers?

Electric Chair said:
Man, if it really is a done deal behind closed doors I hope Volek emailed their playbook and circled what they have been working on in practice.
It is being done.

A.J. has coveted Volek for sometime and now we will pull the trigger. I am not comfortable with Whitey pulling the trigger - yet.
 

Concudan

Still Chargin
Staff member
Administrator
#11
Volek to the Chargers?

anger management said:
I think it's the lesser of two evils. Being a #2 is better than a #3.

I just hope we don't give up too much for him.

:bolt:
HEY! AM!!! Welcome to the forum!!! I hope we dont give up a lot, but we shall see. AJ doesnt ask my advice any more...:lol:
 
#12
Volek to the Chargers?

Ride The Lightning said:
You're not gonna like this, but I heard Darren Smith say there's a chance it might be for Whitehurst.

I dunno know how you guys feel about this, but I don't like it.
No effin way that goes down. No way.

Volek is a rent a vet. Whitehurst is like money in the bank. He'll garner us a first or second in two years.

:bolt:
 
#15
Volek to the Chargers?

anger management said:
No effin way that goes down. No way.

Volek is a rent a vet. Whitehurst is like money in the bank. He'll garner us a first or second in two years.

:bolt:
Thats a possibilty. Hopefully before they ever trade whitehurst though they have two other capable qb's in the qb stable besides Rivers.
 
#16
Volek to the Chargers?

He couldn't start over Collins fresh off the street or stay ahead of Young. The titans know what they have in him and they would rather have Collins or Young in the game than to put their hopes in Volek. That says something. We should listen and pass.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#17
Volek to the Chargers?

anger management said:
No effin way that goes down. No way.

Volek is a rent a vet. Whitehurst is like money in the bank. He'll garner us a first or second in two years.

:bolt:
Agreed..

White-man stays.

I see lotsa gold in this dude for potential and hope he pushes the fuc out of Rivers.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#18
Volek to the Chargers?

LittleTrain said:
He couldn't start over Collins fresh off the street or stay ahead of Young. The titans know what they have in him and they would rather have Collins or Young in the game than to put their hopes in Volek. That says something. We should listen and pass.
It says the Titans were forced into taking a franchise QB (Young) and not that something is up. They needed a seasoned vet behind the starter which makes Volek trade bait....nothing more.
 
M

matilack

Guest
#19
Volek to the Chargers?

Concudan said:
Agreed, but what are we giving up for him. He wants to be a starter, and he isnt going to be one here without an injury, so is he going to like Diego any more than Nashville?:icon_shrug:
Volek is a premadonna **** sucker
 
#20
Volek to the Chargers?

Trumpet_Man said:
It says the Titans were forced into taking a franchise QB (Young) and not that something is up. They needed a seasoned vet behind the starter which makes Volek trade bait....nothing more.

They were forced to take a franchise QB because they didn't trust Volek on the job after he was with the team grooming for that role for how many years? Then they had to bring in Collins because they were so unsure about him as a starter quality QB. He turned out to be third string out of that mix behind two guys off the street new to the system.

Volek is a seasoned vet behind the starter. They are willing to trade him to put a rookie backing up the starter, the exact situation we are in & acting like we have to get Volek to solve.
 
#21
Volek to the Chargers?

LittleTrain said:
They were forced to take a franchise QB because they didn't trust Volek on the job after he was with the team grooming for that role for how many years? Then they had to bring in Collins because they were so unsure about him as a starter quality QB. He turned out to be third string out of that mix behind two guys off the street new to the system.

Volek is a seasoned vet behind the starter. They are willing to trade him to put a rookie backing up the starter, the exact situation we are in & acting like we have to get Volek to solve.
True dat. :icon_banana:

Folks, Volek has a bad attitude and is going to whine constantly because he's not the starter.

He's not an AJ type player.

Volek is a cancer. :icon_eek:
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#22
Volek to the Chargers?

PhilipRivers#1 said:
True dat. :icon_banana:

Folks, Volek has a bad attitude and is going to whine constantly because he's not the starter.

He's not an AJ type player.

Volek is a cancer. :icon_eek:
I'm not so sure that's the case. I think this might be a KMac type situation, where the guy is a pretty good guy but he's just had a falling out with the front office and coaching staff in Tennessee.
 

AnteaterRaider

Carpe Diem et omni Mundio
Staff member
Super Moderator
Podcaster
#23
Volek to the Chargers?

boltssbbound said:
I'm not so sure that's the case. I think this might be a KMac type situation, where the guy is a pretty good guy but he's just had a falling out with the front office and coaching staff in Tennessee.
nothing does that more then having the starting QB job and having it snatched under you not just by a FIrst round QB but by some guy you snatched up at hte last minute. I never heard him being that way prior to this; I think it was just that the Titans had, by all accounts, been grooming him to take over the starting job after McNair left and then had it taken from him by both Young and then by Collins.
Don't think too much of this, he'll be much better when he enters SD.
 

SDRay

Let's go Fleet! #BoatUp #AnchorDown
Staff member
Administrator
Podcaster
#24
Volek to the Chargers?

Here's some more news on the potential trade.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060914/SPORTS01/609140406/1328/SPORTS

Chargers express interest in Volek

When Titans No. 3 quarterback Billy Volek travels to San Diego this weekend, he might be tempted to check out the real estate.

Volek said the Chargers are one of the teams who contacted the Titans after he asked to be traded last month.

Volek said he thinks there's a chance something could happen next week, after the Titans and Chargers play on Sunday.

"I know that they have a lot of interest. I know that they have contacted Floyd Reese and they contacted my agent," Volek said. "There is an opportunity for me there and it is a bridge I'll cross when it presents itself."

The Titans have yet to trade Volek because they haven't been satisfied with what they'd get in return.

Trading Volek to the Chargers before the game doesn't make much sense. He could divulge a lot of information about the Titans' playbook.

Volek is currently behind veteran Kerry Collins and rookie Vince Young. The Chargers are quarterbacked by former first-round pick Philip Rivers, who is backed up by rookie Charlie Whitehurst.

"They have one start with their quarterbacks and I know that they want some more experience at the position," Volek said. "I also have to do what is best for my career, and here they are not going to put a guy (Young) who is making $57 million at the third spot. They are going to put him at No. 2 and put him on the field.

"With Kerry bringing in more experience and still being able to sling it down the field, let me move on and do what is best for my career."

Volek was the starter the last time the Titans played at San Diego in October 2004.

"I don't want to create a distraction for this team. We have enough distractions right now," Volek said. "I am just taking it one game at a time.

"I have been blessed with three awesome kids and for me to complain about making money but not playing, it seems ticky-tacky. But I also want to be out there competing."
 
#25
Volek to the Chargers?

"They have one start with their quarterbacks and I know that they want some more experience at the position," Volek said. "I also have to do what is best for my career, and here they are not going to put a guy (Young) who is making $57 million at the third spot. They are going to put him at No. 2 and put him on the field.

"With Kerry bringing in more experience and still being able to sling it down the field, let me move on and do what is best for my career."
In other words, "I'm not good enough to beat out a very RAW rookie or a FA we just signed off the street, so let me move on and find another sucker."

Just translating.
 

boltssbbound

Well-Known Member
#27
Volek to the Chargers?

LittleTrain said:
In other words, "I'm not good enough to beat out a very RAW rookie or a FA we just signed off the street, so let me move on and find another sucker."

Just translating.
I think it's more like, "I have not been given an opportunity to beat out two inferior QBs. This organization does not know what the hell it's doing. The front office and the coaches are not on the same page. I re-signed with this team as a free agent because I was told I'd be given a chance to start after McNair left, and I never received my chance. I even put a no-trade clause in my contract because I wanted to be with the Titans. But they have treated me like crap, so it's time to move to a team that gives me a fair shake."
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#29
Volek to the Chargers?

boltssbbound said:
I think it's more like, "I have not been given an opportunity to beat out two inferior QBs. This organization does not know what the hell it's doing. The front office and the coaches are not on the same page. I re-signed with this team as a free agent because I was told I'd be given a chance to start after McNair left, and I never received my chance. I even put a no-trade clause in my contract because I wanted to be with the Titans. But they have treated me like crap, so it's time to move to a team that gives me a fair shake."
I partially agree with this assessment.
 

Trumpet_Man

Well-Known Member
#30
Volek to the Chargers?

leisure said:
PRAY we sign VOLEK people.....he would be the best second string QB in the league. This guy is very very good.
I like Volek everytime I have seen his pitch the rock. He has a live arm downfield......nuff said.
 

Top