It’s Tingler

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I hate every single justification given to Tingler’s hire, it’s all bullshit, Preller wanted him from the start and the “extensive search for an experienced manager” was a load of horseshit. I hate this hire more than I hated Green’s hire in 2016 - I firmly felt Dave Roberts should have had his shot here.

Preller is stubbornly sticking to his yes man philosophy, like AJ Smith with the Chargers. I hope ownership has the balls to do the right thing at the end of the season when this experiment fails miserably.
Unless Tingler is a short term placeholder until Bochy is ready to return, then this is a horrible hire. If the “Bochy scenario” is in effect though, it’s understandable – no competent, self respecting veteran Manager would agree to come here but to step aside in a season or 2 to make way for Bruce. If Bochy returns to coach any other MLB team in the next few years though, then Preller & Tingler should both be fired immediately!

You’re correct though, hiring Tingler is worse than having hired Green - the reason we were in need of a Manager this offseason is because taking a chance and giving Green his 1st gig as an MLB Manager failed spectacularly, so to follow that up by giving yet another young guy his 1st shot to manage an MLB ballclub is like investing in a Rolls Royce, but hiring a student driver as your Chauffeur.

Reactions: TTK

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
I hate every single justification given to Tingler’s hire, it’s all bullshit, Preller wanted him from the start and the “extensive search for an experienced manager” was a load of horseshit. I hate this hire more than I hated Green’s hire in 2016 - I firmly felt Dave Roberts should have had his shot here.

Preller is stubbornly sticking to his yes man philosophy, like AJ Smith with the Chargers. I hope ownership has the balls to do the right thing at the end of the season when this experiment fails miserably.
I watched enough of the playoffs to know Dave Roberts is a lousy manager. Hiring him wouldn't have been any better.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Unless Tingler is a short term placeholder until Bochy is ready to return, then this is a horrible hire. If the “Bochy scenario” is in effect though, it’s understandable – no competent, self respecting veteran Manager would agree to come here but to step aside in a season or 2 to make way for Bruce. If Bochy returns to coach any other MLB team in the next few years though, then Preller & Tingler should both be fired immediately!

You’re correct though, hiring Tingler is worse than having hired Green - the reason we were in need of a Manager this offseason is because taking a chance and giving Green his 1st gig as an MLB Manager failed spectacularly, so to follow that up by giving yet another young guy his 1st shot to manage an MLB ballclub is like investing in a Rolls Royce, but hiring a student driver as your Chauffeur.
I wouldn't the Padres are the baseball-equivalent of a Rolls Royce. Let's say we hired Toonses the Driving Cat to drive our Spider.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I watched enough of the playoffs to know Dave Roberts is a lousy manager. Hiring him wouldn't have been any better.
I’m not gonna argue that point but he did lead them to the WS twice, something his predecessors failed to do. But my point is he deserved a shot here and was being groomed to manage, but Preller has a hair up his ass about hiring him, wouldn’t even interview him, which was ridiculous considering he was the Padres bench coach and even managed one game after they fired Black.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

If the Padres have a plan to keep a seat warm for Bochy then I would be ecstatic and would publicly walk back all of my criticisms. But we need to be realistic about this - nowhere in the history of this franchise have they ever been forward thinkers, and I sincerely believe Preller would rather do it his way, even to the detriment of the franchise and his career, than have to deal with a manager that could not only stand up to him, but was smarter than he is too.

Edited to add: there was one time in their history where they had a forward thinker: Larry Lucchino. But bass-ackwards couldn’t keep his dick in his pants Moores chased him away.

Last edited:

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Roberts may make some very questionable decisions at times, but I don't agree that hiring him, especially in 2015 instead of hiring Green, wouldn't have put the Padres in a better place - I'd rather have my seasons end by losing in LCSes or World Series, as opposed to nearly a decades worth of consecutive losing seasons with and finishing 20 games below .500 every year.

Reactions: TTK and Fender57

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Roberts may make some very questionable decisions at times, but I don't agree that hiring him, especially in 2015 instead of hiring Green, wouldn't have put the Padres in a better place - I'd rather have my seasons end by losing in LCSes or World Series, as opposed to nearly a decades worth of consecutive losing seasons with and finishing 20 games below .500 every year.
My dick could lead the Dodgers to two World Series.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
You guts were right, and I was wrong. The Dodgers, with roughly an equal amount of talent, have done better with Roberts than with previous managers. To me, Roberts seemed pretty clueless during this year's post season, but that is like because I don't understand modern baseball decisions. Roberts is probably a good manager. My cluelessness should give me hope that Preller, despite my mind telling me he sucks, may actually be the best g.m. in baseball. That "should" give me hope, but it doesn't. I say we are going nowhere until somebody with a clearer vision and plan for success takes over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
You guts were right, and I was wrong. The Dodgers, with roughly an equal amount of talent, have done better with Roberts than with previous managers. To me, Roberts seemed pretty clueless during this year's post season, but that is like because I don't understand modern baseball decisions. Roberts is probably a good manager. My cluelessness should give me hope that Preller, despite my mind telling me he sucks, may actually be the best g.m. in baseball. That "should" give me hope, but it doesn't. I say we are going nowhere until somebody with a clearer vision and plan for success takes over.
Roberts seemed overwhelmed this post-season because he is managing the Dodgers, and that high-profiled entitled franchise is a ball of wax just on its own.

The biggest thing he was criticized for was the decision to bring his ace Kershaw into the game to shutdown the Nats. Pretty much hindsight to criticize this decision, yeah Kershaw sucks in the post season but I think Roberts felt like you go with what got you here. Kershaw is in a decline but he’s earned the right to have a chance at post season glory.

It is a little similar to Dick Williams’s decision to let Goose pitch to Kirk Gibson instead of intentionally walking him in the World Series. Goose talked him into it and Williams agreed saying “I had to go with it, he’s the guy who brought us here”.

To contrast with our situation with the Padres, how would Andy Green handle each of those situations? I imagine he’d fold like a house of cards made of Kleenex. Hell, he’d never have to worry about even experiencing this. That’s the caliber of managers we are throwing out there with this ownership group. Bud Black. Pat Murphy. Andy Green. And now Joyce Tangler or whatever his fucking name is. Fowler comes across as a no nonsense guy but he just allowed his GM to reset the clock for four more seasons because that’s gonna be the excuse - “we need to give him a chance”. What a buncha bullshit.

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
I like the Hire:

1. Tingler is the next JOe Torre and we start winning regularly.

or

2. Tingler is another Andy Green which means preller gets the boot.

My suspicion Tingler is a Yes man and could be out managed by Q's dick which leads to both being fired at the end of season.

Bochy returns to pretty much run the club and front office.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
I like the Hire:

1. Tingler is the next JOe Torre and we start winning regularly.

or

2. Tingler is another Andy Green which means preller gets the boot.

My suspicion Tingler is a Yes man and could be out managed by Q's dick which leads to both being fired at the end of season.

Bochy returns to pretty much run the club and front office.
That is assuming Fowler keeps his word. So far, it’s a big fail. He practically demanded an experienced manager because next year is the push year. His GM rigs the process and brings in two of his old cronies, one his BFF who has managed as high as rookie ball (does not meet the “experienced” requirement), and the other who is a pennant winner, but comes with a huge amount of baggage (meets the experienced requirement but has had drug problems and quit because of infidelity issues). Fowler should’ve flipped his lid immediately and told Wonder Boy to get some real candidates in (Showalter, Baker, Girardi, Scioscia were all available) or start packing his fucking bags. From top to bottom this team is run by losers. We need another Lucchino in here STAT.

Reactions: Faded Blues

Faded Blues

BoltTalker
Feb 10, 2018
That is assuming Fowler keeps his word. So far, it’s a big fail. He practically demanded an experienced manager because next year is the push year. His GM rigs the process and brings in two of his old cronies, one his BFF who has managed as high as rookie ball (does not meet the “experienced” requirement), and the other who is a pennant winner, but comes with a huge amount of baggage (meets the experienced requirement but has had drug problems and quit because of infidelity issues). Fowler should’ve flipped his lid immediately and told Wonder Boy to get some real candidates in (Showalter, Baker, Girardi, Scioscia were all available) or start packing his fucking bags. From top to bottom this team is run by losers. We need another Lucchino in here STAT.
Then the ownership group loses all credibility. Siedler and Fowler have put themselves in a corner. You can't backtrack from demanding a winning season and then if we lose again, you let it slide.

In my book, Tingler and Preller are on the hot seat right now.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Then the ownership group loses all credibility. Siedler and Fowler have put themselves in a corner. You can't backtrack from demanding a winning season and then if we lose again, you let it slide.

In my book, Tingler and Preller are on the hot seat right now.
I agree, you can’t. But their actions are not consistent with their demands. They are willing to waste this window that everyone worked for just to allow Preller to take this risk? They are the owners, they have the right (and responsibility) to set him straight. Hire the right guy motherfucker! Hint: it ain’t Norv Tingler.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Remember, Fowler's head is on the line too, if he sticks to his word:

“If we don’t win in 2020, heads will roll,” Fowler told reporters on Monday, via the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Mine will be the first one."

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Remember, Fowler's head is on the line too, if he sticks to his word:

“If we don’t win in 2020, heads will roll,” Fowler told reporters on Monday, via the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Mine will be the first one."
It’s just another lie, like wanting an experienced manager.

Reactions: Gill Man