It’s Tingler

• Welcome to America's Finest Sports Forum and Podcast!

afsportsforum.com is one of the largest online communities covering San Diego sports. We host a regular podcast during the major seasons. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
It seemed like they were only interested in him or Washington. Not excited about this hire but Washington was the guy I wanted least.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
It seemed like they were only interested in him or Washington. Not excited about this hire but Washington was the guy I wanted least.
Bad news if that’s the case, because they publicly said they wanted an experienced guy and there was only one experienced guy we know of and he’s the one with the most baggage. Seems to me Preller wanted someone he worked with before, which limits his choices. Acting on those limitations because of his comfort is not necessarily the best course of action for the organization. This guy seems like Andy Green part two. I am not impressed.

Reactions: TTK

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Girardi, Scioscia, Showalter, all available and as far as I can tell not even an inquiry. Fowler said win now or heads will roll and Preller hires his buddy who never managed above rookie ball. This hire is a joke. Barajas would’ve been a better choice, and I was totally against that move. Preller’s thinking he’s untouchable I guess.

Gill Man

Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN
Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Never heard of him
Here's why:
Tingler, 38, was the Rangers' major league player development field coordinator this season and currently is managing Leones del Escogido in the Dominican winter league.
WTF....might as well have kept Green. Stupid.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Bad news if that’s the case, because they publicly said they wanted an experienced guy and there was only one experienced guy we know of and he’s the one with the most baggage. Seems to me Preller wanted someone he worked with before, which limits his choices. Acting on those limitations because of his comfort is not necessarily the best course of action for the organization. This guy seems like Andy Green part two. I am not impressed.
This is the equivalent of aj smith hiring norb because he was his friend and a yes man. WTF. Eff this.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
And on the same day Phillies hire Joe Girardi. Mets and Cubs left. Wonder who they'll go with?

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
This is the equivalent of aj smith hiring norb because he was his friend and a yes man. WTF. Eff this.
He wanted a yes man (like AJ, but that backfired), I can’t see guys like Girardi and Scioscia even taking any crap from Preller. Explains why they hired Tingler.

And on the same day Phillies hire Joe Girardi. Mets and Cubs left. Wonder who they'll go with?
I read somewhere the Cubs were gonna hire their old backup catcher David Ross today.

RamAirVA

El Deano No Es Bueno...
Nov 12, 2007
Depends on the Week
He wanted a yes man (like AJ, but that backfired), I can’t see guys like Girardi and Scioscia even taking any crap from Preller. Explains why they hired Tingler.

I read somewhere the Cubs were gonna hire their old backup catcher David Ross today.
They did. Phillies signed Joe Girardi too.

TTK

EX-Charger Fan
Jul 30, 2007
Totally agree. He could wind up being a great manager but because Preller seemed to limit his "real" candidates to nepotism, narrowing the field down like that really lowers the possibility of getting the best guy.

I've always believed though that a baseball manger is more about leadership and managing people. Baseball is more about the players executing where a sport like football is more about the coaches putting the players in the right spot to make plays. So as long as he is a good leader, this could still work out. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
IMO the order for hiring should be HC and get a GM the HC likes working with. That applies to HC (football) and Manager (baseball). Look at the Niners in football. First order of business was making sure they locked up Kyle Shanahan. Once that was done he was the guy that talked them into John Lynch which raised eyebrows around the league. But look how the dynamic is working. Lynch and Shanahan are probably great working 50/50 on all decisions football.

The opposite occurs when the GM is the final arbiter and the guy that hires and fires HC's and Managers. That can work and obviously does but there's too many GM's like Preller and Aj smith who always end up caving to hire a guy they get along with. If the HC or Manager aren't top notch....it backfires. START with a top notch manager and then let him pick a GM he'd be comfortable with, so long as that GM has a good history of acquiring talent.

I"m starting to not like Preller at all other than he ALLEGEDLY built the best farm system in basebell. But first off where the hell is the 'lava"????? Second off, why can't he hire a proven commodity as manager? If this guy Tingler turns out to be as bad or worse than Green Preller should be fired first thing after the first year and can the effing manager and let's get a great manager first and hire a GM he can get along with.....it's a more practical order of selecting the pieces of the puzzle. The field general has to be superior in all respects. Without that we ain't goin anywhere.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Totally agree. He could wind up being a great manager but because Preller seemed to limit his "real" candidates to nepotism, narrowing the field down like that really lowers the possibility of getting the best guy.

I've always believed though that a baseball manger is more about leadership and managing people. Baseball is more about the players executing where a sport like football is more about the coaches putting the players in the right spot to make plays. So as long as he is a good leader, this could still work out. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Managers do have to push the right buttons in certain situations, like pitching changes, timely pinch hitting or running, defensive shifts and defensive replacements. All that said, a manager indeed must be able to lead and manage the team, by hook or crook. Some command respect and are beloved (Bochy), others command respect and are feared (Dick Williams), but the important part is commanding, not demanding, respect.

So the question with Tingler I have, in context to this, is what has he done to show he can do this at the major league level? At least Washington has been there and done that - he is a two time pennant winner - even with the stupid self-serving decision Preller made to limit his choices to ex-Rangers, based on where the organization is allegedly at (ready to make a move to contention), the so-called “hot talent lava” that’s ready to erupt, the “superstar” veterans already in place (Machado and Hosmer), between the two nepotistic choices it was a NO BRAINER to pick Washington.

I’d say “I hope they prove me wrong” but that would be ridiculous to say - I guarantee this will be a huge disastrous move.

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
IMO the order for hiring should be HC and get a GM the HC likes working with. That applies to HC (football) and Manager (baseball). Look at the Niners in football. First order of business was making sure they locked up Kyle Shanahan. Once that was done he was the guy that talked them into John Lynch which raised eyebrows around the league. But look how the dynamic is working. Lynch and Shanahan are probably great working 50/50 on all decisions football.

The opposite occurs when the GM is the final arbiter and the guy that hires and fires HC's and Managers. That can work and obviously does but there's too many GM's like Preller and Aj smith who always end up caving to hire a guy they get along with. If the HC or Manager aren't top notch....it backfires. START with a top notch manager and then let him pick a GM he'd be comfortable with, so long as that GM has a good history of acquiring talent.

I"m starting to not like Preller at all other than he ALLEGEDLY built the best farm system in basebell. But first off where the hell is the 'lava"????? Second off, why can't he hire a proven commodity as manager? If this guy Tingler turns out to be as bad or worse than Green Preller should be fired first thing after the first year and can the effing manager and let's get a great manager first and hire a GM he can get along with.....it's a more practical order of selecting the pieces of the puzzle. The field general has to be superior in all respects. Without that we ain't goin anywhere.
Preller should go back to what he’s good at - director of farm leagues. He has no business being a GM. He does not have a clue as to what is best for the whole organization. It’s as if he’s afraid to have to deal with a manager who’s a better and smarter baseball man than he is.

Reactions: Quetzalcoatl

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008
Someone on Instagram referred to him as “Joyce Rangler, or whatever his name is”.

Quetzalcoatl

BoltTalker
Feb 1, 2015
Okay. It is obvious now that Preller runs the show, and he sucks at it. He's a loser and a cheater. Preller needs to either go or be demoted.

No disrespect to the new manager, but his resume looks thin. There is no way the players don't already see him as an unqualified manager who only got the job because he is friends with the boss.

Reactions: Lancer 1

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Okay. It is obvious now that Preller runs the show, and he sucks at it. He's a loser and a cheater. Preller needs to either go or be demoted.

No disrespect to the new manager, but his resume looks thin. There is no way the players don't already see him as an unqualified manager who only got the job because he is friends with the boss.
I’m sure our 300 million dollar man (who personally requested that we at least consider Buck Showalter) will undoubtedly respect this guy right off the bat!

Lancer 1

Betrayed Bolt Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
I really think Preller would have to go to land Bochy. Will ownership pull the trigger in that?
That could be the reason for their inexplicable lack of interest in all the serious candidates who were available but never truly considered.

Gill Man

Staff member
Sep 1, 2017
Here's the vid from Tingler's first presser:

• Haha
Reactions: Fender57

Fender57

BoltTalker
Sep 7, 2008

I'm glad to read that they at least talked with Bochy but Acee's right: Preller is betting his job on this hire working out.
I hate every single justification given to Tingler’s hire, it’s all bullshit, Preller wanted him from the start and the “extensive search for an experienced manager” was a load of horseshit. I hate this hire more than I hated Green’s hire in 2016 - I firmly felt Dave Roberts should have had his shot here.

Preller is stubbornly sticking to his yes man philosophy, like AJ Smith with the Chargers. I hope ownership has the balls to do the right thing at the end of the season when this experiment fails miserably.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faded Blues and TTK